PDA

View Full Version : My daughter wants to join the Tea Party

gabosaurus
09-03-2012, 10:22 AM
But it is NOT what you think.
When we visited my best friend and her husband in England, there was a class where British youths were taught about the etiquette and ceremony of Afternoon Tea. So we signed up my daughter. Later, we actually went to a formal Afternoon Tea.
Unbeknownst to me, my daughter has since thought that the American Tea Party was a gathering of people to have Tea.
This morning, my daughter was out talking to some friends when some people came by with a flyer inviting residents to a Tea Party rally this weekend. I am guessing it is a response to the Dem convention.
My daughter brought the flyer and was all excited about going. She wanted too get a new dress to wear to Tea.
She was VERY let down when I explained that the Tea Party was not about having tea. :laugh:

And no, we did not discuss what the Tea Party was actually about. I doubt that an 11 year old is going to care. And I never discuss politics outside this board. So hush!

red states rule
09-03-2012, 10:26 AM
And I never discuss politics outside this board. So hush!

That ranks up there with Bill Clinton saying he never had sex with that women and never told anyone to lie

You not discussing politics in any enviorment is like Obama not mugging for the cameras and blaming Bush for the day's bad economic news

If CA had more Tea Party members in elected offcie perhaps thrre counties in CA would not filed for bankruptcy and the overall CA economy would be better and have more people working

Gadget (fmr Marine)
09-03-2012, 10:30 AM
When we visited my best friend and her husband in England, there was a class where British youths were taught about the etiquette and ceremony of Afternoon Tea. So we signed up my daughter. Later, we actually went to a formal Afternoon Tea.
Unbeknownst to me, my daughter has since thought that the American Tea Party was a gathering of people to have Tea.
This morning, my daughter was out talking to some friends when some people came by with a flyer inviting residents to a Tea Party rally this weekend. I am guessing it is a response to the Dem convention.
My daughter brought the flyer and was all excited about going. She wanted too get a new dress to wear to Tea.
She was VERY let down when I explained that the Tea Party was not about having tea. :laugh:

And no, we did not discuss what the Tea Party was actually about. I doubt that an 11 year old is going to care. And I never discuss politics outside this board. So hush!

Thats great....you should have taken the opportunity to let her know that the Tea Party is about less intrusion our lives by the government, and reducing the burden on the taxpayers....(I bet you didn't even know that was what the Tea Party is about)

Maybe you could have given her a historical lesson....told her about the original Boston Tea Party...and the unfair taxes and burdens put on the colonies by the King....(hmmmm, is there any coincidence with what was happening then, as is happening now???)

Shadow
09-03-2012, 10:38 AM

Talk about a really girly (fru fru) experience that made me feel awkward and out of place. We have a place here that caters to afternoon tea parties for women. It's called the St James Tearoom. It has a very cool victorian atmosphere and some people even dress to the period when they come... they have interesting/unique appetizers (also very tasty) and of course several types of tea. Food and tea is served in a traditional three course setting. I had a hard time relating to the getting all dressed up and doning the proper tea etiquette though. But... I went anyway because one of my more girly friends enjoys it quite a bit. Probably something every woman should try at least once... although I didn't really care for it myself. :)

hjmick
09-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Elitist.

gabosaurus
09-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Did you know that you can get any size of iced tea at McDonald's for a dollar? Much better than those carbonated soft drinks.
As long as I can get away with it, that is the only "tea party" my daughter is going to know about. :cool:

I mean, she is 11 years old. My greatest current worry is that she will fall under the spell of cute boys One Direction when she starts middle school this week.

red states rule
09-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Did you know that you can get any size of iced tea at McDonald's for a dollar? Much better than those carbonated soft drinks.
As long as I can get away with it, that is the only "tea party" my daughter is going to know about. :cool:

I mean, she is 11 years old. My greatest current worry is that she will fall under the spell of cute boys One Direction when she starts middle school this week.

I guess the last thing a liberal Mom who want would be for her daughter to ba able to think for herself, work hard and accumalate wealth, keep more of what she earns, and have minimal government interference in her life

What a terrible life that would be (for Gabby not her daughter)

jimnyc
09-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Let's turn off "attack mode" when in the bottom half of the board. Looked to me like Gabs is just being funny, sharing with us and having a tad of sarcasm. She should be treated like family down here, as we all would with one another. Just because "Tea Party" was mentioned doesn't mean we need to go political and get defensive or anything. I'd be afraid to share things on a fun level if everyone was going to jump on me.

Gabby's no angel, and I nail her harder than anyone else in political threads when she gets sarcastic, but that shouldn't carry over to the forums from the lounge on down. I always saw this board as one big family, even when we disagree, and I'd like to have that feeling back again someday!

Carry on :beer:

aboutime
09-03-2012, 01:47 PM
I call TOTAL BS on this entire thread. Sounds to me like Gabby is so full of it. This was just another opportunity to get some attention.
What parent in their right mind wouldn't try to at least....FIRST, explain the meaning of the Historical Tea Party to an 11 year old?
That crap about BRITTISH Tea Time is just that. CRAP.
Anyone who can't see the folly in what gabby is trying to do here should... Figure it out yourselves.

aboutime
09-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Let's turn off "attack mode" when in the bottom half of the board. Looked to me like Gabs is just being funny, sharing with us and having a tad of sarcasm. She should be treated like family down here, as we all would with one another. Just because "Tea Party" was mentioned doesn't mean we need to go political and get defensive or anything. I'd be afraid to share things on a fun level if everyone was going to jump on me.

Gabby's no angel, and I nail her harder than anyone else in political threads when she gets sarcastic, but that shouldn't carry over to the forums from the lounge on down. I always saw this board as one big family, even when we disagree, and I'd like to have that feeling back again someday!

My apologies jimnyc. But asking me to treat gabby like family would be equal to someone telling me I must like Obama, despite his lies.

red states rule
09-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Jim, you sure have lowerd the standard to what you deem "attack mode"

aboutime
09-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Jim, you sure have lowerd the standard to what you deem "attack mode"

red states rule. I understand what jimnyc is saying. But he hasn't seen what REAL ATTACK MODE means from any of us. I honestly do believe. He doesn't want us to get that far. But...who knows?

red states rule
09-03-2012, 02:09 PM
red states rule. I understand what jimnyc is saying. But he hasn't seen what REAL ATTACK MODE means from any of us. I honestly do believe. He doesn't want us to get that far. But...who knows?

I go that much from him. You should have been here during the days of Virgil (aka Maineman) and pretty much the rest of the board

The posts toward Gabby were very mild and hardly were "attacks". Besides they could never get any worse as Gabby probably will not be back now for a day or two

aboutime
09-03-2012, 02:13 PM
I go that much from him. You should have been here during the days of Virgil (aka Maineman) and pretty much the rest of the board

The posts toward Gabby were very mild and hardly were "attacks". Besides they could never get any worse as Gabby probably will not be back now for a day or two

Thanks for letting me know. I had no intention of chasing anyone away. But if they are that THIN SKINNED here. It's probably a good idea for them to just watch more SESAME STREET kinds of entertainment.

red states rule
09-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I had no intention of chasing anyone away. But if they are that THIN SKINNED here. It's probably a good idea for them to just watch more SESAME STREET kinds of entertainment.

As I said, Gabby is a drive by poster and she logs on - takes a few shots into the crowd - then leaves

She has no intention of having a civil discussion. Just her usual over the top crap and then runs off to do it all over agin on another day

aboutime
09-03-2012, 02:27 PM
As I said, Gabby is a drive by poster and she logs on - takes a few shots into the crowd - then leaves

She has no intention of having a civil discussion. Just her usual over the top crap and then runs off to do it all over agin on another day

Sounds like a typical Obama follower. Easily led, gullible, and refuses to accept the truth. Even after being shown the truth with facts.
But then. That's what makes coming here so much fun. As long as we stick to telling the truth, and exposing those who must always make stuff up, and call it truth. We can't lose. No matter how hard....they try.

red states rule
09-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Sounds like a typical Obama follower. Easily led, gullible, and refuses to accept the truth. Even after being shown the truth with facts.
But then. That's what makes coming here so much fun. As long as we stick to telling the truth, and exposing those who must always make stuff up, and call it truth. We can't lose. No matter how hard....they try.

http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1614919166/obama-supporters-liberals-idiots-funny-truth-e1297188179800.jpg

jimnyc
09-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Guys, by no means was I demanding anything from anyone, you're all free to treat one another as you feel is deserved. But yes, that was my fear, I don't want to scare away members. I was just hoping that if people opened up to us in certain portions of the board, that they wouldn't be afraid of being attacked when their shields are down. I just didn't see the point in turning what could be a happy thread into a negative political thread. And as soon as the animosity rears its head, no one else will want to involve themselves in the thread. I was "hoping" for cooler heads to prevail and to save the animosity for when politics is really being discussed. And T, I didn't mean attack mode like the days of Virgil, that doesn't compare! Just that the family feel isn't around as much, and the jabs were at least less personal. My only intent would be to try and get that back.

aboutime
09-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Guys, by no means was I demanding anything from anyone, you're all free to treat one another as you feel is deserved. But yes, that was my fear, I don't want to scare away members. I was just hoping that if people opened up to us in certain portions of the board, that they wouldn't be afraid of being attacked when their shields are down. I just didn't see the point in turning what could be a happy thread into a negative political thread. And as soon as the animosity rears its head, no one else will want to involve themselves in the thread. I was "hoping" for cooler heads to prevail and to save the animosity for when politics is really being discussed. And T, I didn't mean attack mode like the days of Virgil, that doesn't compare! Just that the family feel isn't around as much, and the jabs were at least less personal. My only intent would be to try and get that back.

jimnyc. I totally understand, and wish to agree with your principled discussion above. However. All of us have a Line we do not care to cross, or ignore here. Yes. It would be wonderful if we ALL AGREED, all the time, and just appeased each other so much. Nobody would feel any obligation to use honesty over the Rodney King theory of "JUST GET ALONG".
Unfortunately jimnyc. That's not how the world works for most of us. When someone insists we are wrong, or declares that we are lying. Why should we just step back, and agree...like Obama does so often. Always being apologetic, and agreeing that we...as Americans are to blame for everything our Enemies demand we are to blame for?

Can't lower my standards to always be a Yes kind of guy, in order to please, or pretend to make friends here jimnyc. That kind of thinking is WHAT IS WRONG with our nation, and our world today. Giving up principles based on truth, and honesty is the same as leaving the keys to your car in the ignition...with the windows open, or your front door, and windows wide open when you go to bed. Expecting everything to be untouched IF YOU LIVE through the night.
Finally. I know you want to have a safe, welcome Forum here where everyone can feel comfortable. But why limit your membership by eliminating the primary reason you call this a FORUM?

jimnyc
09-03-2012, 06:39 PM
jimnyc. I totally understand, and wish to agree with your principled discussion above. However. All of us have a Line we do not care to cross, or ignore here. Yes. It would be wonderful if we ALL AGREED, all the time, and just appeased each other so much. Nobody would feel any obligation to use honesty over the Rodney King theory of "JUST GET ALONG".
Unfortunately jimnyc. That's not how the world works for most of us. When someone insists we are wrong, or declares that we are lying. Why should we just step back, and agree...like Obama does so often. Always being apologetic, and agreeing that we...as Americans are to blame for everything our Enemies demand we are to blame for?

Can't lower my standards to always be a Yes kind of guy, in order to please, or pretend to make friends here jimnyc. That kind of thinking is WHAT IS WRONG with our nation, and our world today. Giving up principles based on truth, and honesty is the same as leaving the keys to your car in the ignition...with the windows open, or your front door, and windows wide open when you go to bed. Expecting everything to be untouched IF YOU LIVE through the night.
Finally. I know you want to have a safe, welcome Forum here where everyone can feel comfortable. But why limit your membership by eliminating the primary reason you call this a FORUM?

I just want to add one more thing, then I'm out and leave you guys alone! LOL I am just trying to keep the peace between everyone...

If it's a political thread, have the back and forth to your heart is content. I just don't see a point in someone going out of their way to engage someone in a fun thread when they can just bypass what they don't like. I know politics is somewhat different, we all want our political points stated and we want to prove the other person wrong, politically speaking. But the bottom portion of this board was made to be a place for peeps to go when they don't feel like debating and fighting over politics. If we don't like that person, why not just start a thread of our own or ignore them? I'm not asking you to be her friend, or to even get along with her, or really even give her the time of day. I don't think ignoring people in such circumstances would be lowering your standards, or doing anything to be less than who you are normally. Look at the music forum, people post their favorite songs over and over in there. It would be the same thing in there. If she posted she was currently listening to 'Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven', it wouldn't make any sense to reply to that post and have words with that person. It's not a rule that you can't, but it would still make little sense to do so. There will be, and are, plenty of places and instances to speak our minds, so that we don't have to do so in the "chat" areas of the forum.

That's it, I said what I needed to, and I would say the same for any member on the board. I think we would all enjoy the joint more if we had a family sort of atmosphere and that's all I was aiming for. I would hope others would give you guys the same respect, both now and down the road!

Ok, off the soapbox, movie time for me!

:beer:

Nukeman
09-03-2012, 08:02 PM

Than if thats the case STFU and stay away from a thread that you have NO other intent in than INSULTING another poster. I will say I have my issues with Gabs at times but I tell you I have NEVER seen the likes of some of you new posters with your CONSTANT insults no matter the topic.

You know our parents used to say "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all". A lot of you new posters here have a serious problem with that... Jesus Christ people give if a f-ing rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathianne
09-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Than if thats the case STFU and stay away from a thread that you have NO other intent in than INSULTING another poster. I will say I have my issues with Gabs at times but I tell you I have NEVER seen the likes of some of you new posters with your CONSTANT insults no matter the topic.

You know our parents used to say "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all". A lot of you new posters here have a serious problem with that... Jesus Christ people give if a f-ing rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In general I'm happy to have new playmates. ;) However, I find the dissing of Jim not that great. A simple request to keep politics at the top and community at the bottom. Not so hard.

Nukeman
09-03-2012, 08:22 PM
In general I'm happy to have new playmates. ;) However, I find the dissing of Jim not that great. A simple request to keep politics at the top and community at the bottom. Not so hard.You know these guys come over from other boards and say how they love the freedom to post and how we have very little vetting and censorship then they REFUSE to let things go and be complete assholes in the process. I really get tired fo reading the same flames and insults EVERY TIME some of these guys post.. JUST GIVE IT A REST!!! If they don't stop it will be as bad as USMB or some of the other places.....

Tell me how do you think you would feel if EVERY time you posted ANYTHING some ass decided to follow you around and insult EVERYTHING you post no matter the topic!! Like I said GIVE IT A REST....

gabosaurus
09-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks you, ladies and gentlemen. From the n00bs refusal to abide by simple rules of the Lounge, it is obvious that they were never taught manners as children.
Which is exactly why I placed my daughter in the tea class. It teaches young British girls (and American interlopers) to become proper young ladies. I have been in nice restaurants where people have complimented my husband and I for my daughter's polite behavior.

Kathianne
09-03-2012, 08:33 PM
You know these guys come over from other boards and say how they love the freedom to post and how we have very little vetting and censorship then they REFUSE to let things go and be complete assholes in the process. I really get tired fo reading the same flames and insults EVERY TIME some of these guys post.. JUST GIVE IT A REST!!! If they don't stop it will be as bad as USMB or some of the other places.....

Tell me how do you think you would feel if EVERY time you posted ANYTHING some ass decided to follow you around and insult EVERYTHING you post no matter the topic!! Like I said GIVE IT A REST....

I agree with the sentiments, though I think most of the 'not so new anymore' posters have gotten it. Just a couple and that seems to include some 'old' members also.

Hey, I'll be the first to admit I can go on a tear, but I do try to confine those to issues, not general stuff.

Nukeman
09-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks you, ladies and gentlemen. From the n00bs refusal to abide by simple rules of the Lounge, it is obvious that they were never taught manners as children.
Which is exactly why I placed my daughter in the tea class. It teaches young British girls (and American interlopers) to become proper young ladies. I have been in nice restaurants where people have complimented my husband and I for my daughter's polite behavior.

Trigg and I have 4 children and we have been approached on a number of occasions in restaurants and told how well our children were acting and a lot of times it was to point out to another family how horrible their children were..

We always expect our children to be polite and say please and thank you when at a restaurant.. its a simple thing that a few posters here can work on.. They know who they are and its called MANNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nukeman
09-03-2012, 08:39 PM
I agree with the sentiments, though I think most of the 'not so new anymore' posters have gotten it. Just a couple and that seems to include some 'old' members also.

Hey, I'll be the first to admit I can go on a tear, but I do try to confine those to issues, not general stuff.
yep...... I agree we can all go on a bi,t but some lately just don't know when to stop and they make it awkward for EVERYONE so they can have there little power trip of annonymity on the internet, most would NEVER say the things in person they post and if they say otherwise I call BUll Shit!!!!

gabosaurus
09-03-2012, 08:47 PM
I still get a laugh when I remember when someone referred to Kathianne as a "Nazi mod." Sometimes Kathianne is the only sensible person (including me) in an out of control thread.
I know it is her educator training. If you can keep yourself from losing control in a class full of ornery kids, you can certainly ride herd on a forum full of same. :cool:

Kathianne
09-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Trigg and I have 4 children and we have been approached on a number of occasions in restaurants and told how well our children were acting and a lot of times it was to point out to another family how horrible their children were..

We always expect our children to be polite and say please and thank you when at a restaurant.. its a simple thing that a few posters here can work on.. They know who they are and its called MANNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. I've written several times about how I raised my little hellions to be restaurant friendly. By the age of 4 there really weren't any restaurants we couldn't take them to regarding behavior. Of course, that didn't mean their palates or our budget warranted the top places often. My daughter though, from 2 she had a taste for oysters and lobster, expensive investment she is. ;)

Kathianne
09-03-2012, 08:52 PM

AND not to run around the table! Definitely not! :laugh2:

gabosaurus
09-03-2012, 08:57 PM
My husband and I have gone to a few really ritzy restaurants with clients of his. Who tend to be quite wealthy people. One man had previously met my daughter and wanted her to come to dinner with them.
We ended up at what I call a "foodie place," where they have these exquisite chef's creations. When we were all looking at the menu, I almost keeled over my daughter whispered to me "mom, do they have anything that's not gross?" :laugh:

Kathianne
09-03-2012, 08:58 PM
My husband and I have gone to a few really ritzy restaurants with clients of his. Who tend to be quite wealthy people. One man had previously met my daughter and wanted her to come to dinner with them.
We ended up at what I call a "foodie place," where they have these exquisite chef's creations. When we were all looking at the menu, I almost keeled over my daughter whispered to me "mom, do they have anything that's not gross?" :laugh:

That was both my sons. LOL! The daughter? She still amazes and I'm glad she takes ME out now!

Kathianne
09-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Gabby, you'll appreciate this. When I was very pregnant with what would be son #2, we went to dinner on Taylor St, "Little Italy" in the city, with my best friend and her husband. The darling daughter was around 19 months, already willing to eat just about anything. She got angel hair pasta with shrimp in garlic sauce. When we were finished and we thought she was still picking, she started throwing spaghetti! OMG! Some strands stuck in a woman's updo, with heavy hair spray. We finished our coffee and cannoli, gave the daughter a 'no, no!' and left.

tailfins
09-03-2012, 09:53 PM

I took my sons to a Tea Party rally back when we lived in Florida. They were 8 and 9 at the time. A SEIU thug had the nerve to ask me if they "were safe here". I turned to my sons and asked them if they knew how to punch a grown-up in the privates. I then told them if a grown up puts them in danger, not to hesitate doing that. The SEIU thug was shocked.

gabosaurus
09-03-2012, 11:27 PM
I took my sons to a Tea Party when we lived in Florida. They were 8 and 9 at the time.

Which of the little cakes was your favorites? The creme filled scones with the powdered sugar on top are delish!!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cookie/TeaCookies2.jpg

A SEIU thug had the nerve to ask me if they "were safe here". I turned to my sons and asked them if they knew how to punch a grown-up in the privates.

A -- WTF is a SEIU thug? Some secret organization that tries to ruin Tea Parties for little kids?

B -- My daughter knows how to kick men in the balls if she feels threatened. Whether they are privates or not. We aren't effeminate around here. :cool: