PDA

View Full Version : Finally got me a wireless mouse

jimnyc
09-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Great computer and latop, just for whatever reason stayed with my mouse forever. But that wire has been driving me nuts, and collecting dust and generally just pissing me off. So I broke the piggy bank and got a wireless mouse from Staples, who is having a huge back to school sale, so I got it for $14.99 when it's normally $39.99. It's a Logitech and it works, so outside of that I guess that's all that matters. I'm happy, little gadgets make my day!

KarlMarx
09-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Wireless mouse = good

I heard that wireless keyboards should be avoided at all costs because someone can eavesdrop on the transmission and steal passwords and such... don't know if that's still true.

Thunderknuckles
09-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Keep your old wired mouse as a backup.
Nothing sucks more than having your wireless batteries die and you have no extra batteries around.

jimnyc
09-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Wireless mouse = good

I heard that wireless keyboards should be avoided at all costs because someone can eavesdrop on the transmission and steal passwords and such... don't know if that's still true.

Hadn't thought of that, but I don't think I want a wireless KB, at least not yet. I was thinking of a wireless KB via bluetooth for my tablet though.

Keep your old wired mouse as a backup.
Nothing sucks more than having your wireless batteries die and you have no extra batteries around.

Already wrapped her up and put it in my supply closet!

logroller
09-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Great computer and latop, just for whatever reason stayed with my mouse forever. But that wire has been driving me nuts, and collecting dust and generally just pissing me off. So I broke the piggy bank and got a wireless mouse from Staples, who is having a huge back to school sale, so I got it for $14.99 when it's normally $39.99. It's a Logitech and it works, so outside of that I guess that's all that matters. I'm happy, little gadgets make my day!

I'm surprised you didn't just hold out for some brainreading eye movement tracker.
But hey, welcome to the 21st century. (is a smart phone next)

aboutime
09-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Wireless mouse = good

KarlMarx. That statement is nearly totally true about someone eavesdropping on the transmissions.

Many people are also...not aware, that leaving your PC, or Laptop powered-up 24/7 is also an invitation for Hackers, and certain Websites to always know when you are online, or not using the ALWAYS ON, ENERGIZED CIRCUITS that sit there with a Screen Saver for hours.
It is especially true with cable, and satellite modem hookups that BRAG about always being ready to use the Internet. These days. We all need to be much more careful since IDENTITY THEFT is now a Multi-billion dollar business that SPARES NOONE!

cadet
09-05-2012, 08:23 PM
I just went back to wired. I get sick of changing the batteries, and buying new ones.

a small one with a usb, only about 6 inch long cord too. works like a charm.

logroller
09-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I just went back to wired. I get sick of changing the batteries, and buying new ones.

I started using rechargeable batteries, especially in the wii remotes. Still have to change them, but I get way more mileage for the $$$

aboutime
09-05-2012, 08:32 PM

Speaking of new, technical products. Does anyone have a Touch-screen monitor? Not a Laptop, but a regular size Monitor, flat-screen with Touchscreen capabilities?

Just wondering if so. What kind of prices are out there if available?

jafar00
09-05-2012, 10:20 PM

I have had bluetooth and USB based wireless mice and I found them to be annoying and unresponsive. Not to mention the battery issue.
I went back to wired and now I have a Logitech G500 at home and a Razer Copperhead (free swag from a sponsor yay) in the office.

Speaking of new, technical products. Does anyone have a Touch-screen monitor? Not a Laptop, but a regular size Monitor, flat-screen with Touchscreen capabilities?

Just wondering if so. What kind of prices are out there if available?

That's some forward thinking. It wouldn't be much use in windows 7, but for Ubuntu Linux's Unity interface or Android it would work well. Windows 8 is being built with touch screens in mind apparently so maybe when that comes out, a touch screen would be great.

SassyLady
09-05-2012, 10:25 PM
I've had a wireless mouse for about six years ... use rechargeable batteries. I also print wireless and have wireless keyboard. Have never had problems.

jafar00
09-06-2012, 01:46 AM
I've had a wireless mouse for about six years ... use rechargeable batteries. I also print wireless and have wireless keyboard. Have never had problems.

Wireless anything is not good if you are a gamer ;)

SassyLady
09-06-2012, 04:25 AM
Wireless anything is not good if you are a gamer ;)

Not a gamer ... played Halo on X-Box when it first came out....too time consuming.

Noir
09-06-2012, 06:32 AM
I've been using Apples 'magic mouse' for a few years now, combining a wireless mouse with a multi-touch screen surface = genius.

tailfins
09-06-2012, 07:28 AM

I have used the below for having a keyboard in bed and using a big screen TV as a monitor:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5058082&CatId=537

Just for laughs, I tried typing out in the driveway about a hundred feet away and it worked. I never thought about the keyboard radio signal being intercepted.

jimnyc
09-06-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm surprised you didn't just hold out for some brainreading eye movement tracker.
But hey, welcome to the 21st century. (is a smart phone next)

Money changes a lot! If I was loaded I would have every gadget known to man, just to have it! And no, a smart phone isn't next, I'm sticking with a dumb phone! I "may" upgrade my tablet someday to one with phone capabilities, because that's all my fat fingers can handle, nothing smaller!

I started using rechargeable batteries, especially in the wii remotes. Still have to change them, but I get way more mileage for the $$$

We already have a big charging station for multiple types of batteries since my son has so many things that need them. This mouse takes AA, and my wife is going to buy me a 4pack to add. So hopefully I'll always have some charged batteries waiting. But that's also why the wired mouse is saved!

I have had bluetooth and USB based wireless mice and I found them to be annoying and unresponsive. Not to mention the battery issue.
I went back to wired and now I have a Logitech G500 at home and a Razer Copperhead (free swag from a sponsor yay) in the office.

Tell me more about it not responding... Was this a daily occurrence? Is it known to happen with other wireless mice? Which model was it? The G500 you have now is similar to the wireless I just got, but yours is nicer even thought it's wired, but I'm also not a gamer of any sort. Mine is Logitech too, but the "M510". Damn, the Copperhead is certainly nice visually! Any real advantage to it though?

jafar00
09-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Money changes a lot! If I was loaded I would have every gadget known to man, just to have it! And no, a smart phone isn't next, I'm sticking with a dumb phone! I "may" upgrade my tablet someday to one with phone capabilities, because that's all my fat fingers can handle, nothing smaller!

I'm a techno junky too. I have a Galaxy Nexus Phone, Nexus 7 Tablet, an Asus Zenbook and I also pre-ordered one of these lol....

http://youtu.be/_d6KuiuteIA

Maybe a Galaxy Note would suit your fat fingers? :p

Tell me more about it not responding... Was this a daily occurrence? Is it known to happen with other wireless mice? Which model was it? The G500 you have now is similar to the wireless I just got, but yours is nicer even thought it's wired, but I'm also not a gamer of any sort. Mine is Logitech too, but the "M510". Damn, the Copperhead is certainly nice visually! Any real advantage to it though?

Yes the usb dongle mouse and the bluetooth one had lag or you had to jiggle it to wake up before it responded. I don't care much about wires.

As for the G500, I like the substantial feel to it and the weight and it it better for fine movement.
Razer make damn fine mice too for gaming. The copperhead is light and responsive which is well suited to playing SCII (I'm a Zerg).

glockmail
09-06-2012, 12:19 PM
I do a lot of drafting work requiring precise movements and when I first saw a wireless mouse I went out and bought one. That was a long time ago, at least ten years. I was so happy with it I bought my accountant one as a gift. It was a Microsoft, took two AA batteries and they lasted maybe a month, so I just bought a brick of them at Costco. That lasted a few years and it actually blew up in my hand. Made a little "pop" and a puff of smoke and that was it. They don't last too long; I've had two Logitechs in between and now I'm on my fourth.

My latest is a Microsoft and it came with a tiny USB receiver, not a desk oval like the others. It didn't work too good until I put an extension on it to get the receiver on my desk within a few inches of the mouse.

Kat
09-06-2012, 12:52 PM

That's a good idea. I have wired for my desktop, but maybe will get a wireless for my laptop. I have to have a mouse for my laptop!

I ♥ gadgets!

Sitarro
09-15-2012, 12:29 PM
I've been using Apples 'magic mouse' for a few years now, combining a wireless mouse with a multi-touch screen surface = genius.

I tried one out at the Apple Store and it felt awkward but I got one with my iMac 2 years ago and can't believe I ever used anything else, best mouse hands down, no comparison.

jafar00
09-15-2012, 09:49 PM
I tried one out at the Apple Store and it felt awkward but I got one with my iMac 2 years ago and can't believe I ever used anything else, best mouse hands down, no comparison.

I had a MAC for 2 weeks. I dumped it after I got hacked and lost a few IM and email accounts and went back to a Linux PC :p