PDA

View Full Version : Judge OK's Arizonia's show me your papers pedro law..

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-05-2012, 11:54 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48920114/ns/us_news/

Judge OKs Arizona's show-me-your-papers law
Arizona authorities can now enforce the most contentious part of state's immigration law
Below:

PHOENIX — A federal judge ruled Wednesday that Arizona authorities can enforce the most contentious section of the state's immigration law, which critics have dubbed the "show me your papers" provision.

..The ruling by U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton clears the way for police to carry out the requirement that officers, while enforcing other laws, question the immigration status of those they suspect are in the country illegally.

The provision has been at the center of a two-year legal battle that resulted in a U.S. Supreme Court decision in June upholding the requirement, ruling against the Obama administration, which filed the initial challenge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About time that obama and his strong arm politics was told to shove it.. The law stands!! A victory for real Americans!--Tyr

gabosaurus
09-06-2012, 12:00 AM
I have no problem with this. As long as they ask EVERYONE they stop to show their papers.

This portion of the law will be struck down the first time it is challenged by a competent attorney.

SassyLady
09-06-2012, 04:28 AM
That would be like giving everyone they pull over a sobriety test. If someone doesn't appear drunk or to have been drinking, why test them. Law enforcement has the ability to make a judgement as to whether someone might be illegal or not.

Trigg
09-06-2012, 06:13 AM
I have no problem with this. As long as they ask EVERYONE they stop to show their papers.

This portion of the law will be struck down the first time it is challenged by a competent attorney.

Don't the police do this already?

I've been pulled over for speeding in 3 different states and every time they ask for my license and registration.

I've never driven in a foreign country, but I would assume that if I were going to do that I would have to carry my passport and whatever ID/papers I was given when renting the car in order to prove insurance and legality.

logroller
09-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Don't the police do this already?

I've been pulled over for speeding in 3 different states and every time they ask for my license and registration.

I've never driven in a foreign country, but I would assume that if I were going to do that I would have to carry my passport and whatever ID/papers I was given when renting the car in order to prove insurance and legality.
I think the issue will be how they enforce the law on those persons granted deferred legal presence, not legal residents (or citizens). For example, an immigrant who hasn't a passport since they've been in the US since their age of majority and thereby acquires deferment (ie legal presence, not status); in an attempt to comply with federal directives on obtaining legal status by getting a work permit. But, according to state law, one needs a state issued ID to get a work permit, but the state refuses such a request-- the state has placed a barrier on fulfilling federal law. It's runs a risk of creating a catch 22. It may not, hence Scotus allowing the law to stand on its face, but I suspect AZ has every intention of undermining the immigration directive because they view it as amnesty.

Trigg
09-06-2012, 07:11 AM
I think the issue will be how they enforce the law on those persons granted deferred legal presence, not legal residents (or citizens). For example, an immigrant who hasn't a passport since they've been in the US since their age of majority and thereby acquires deferment (ie legal presence, not status); in an attempt to comply with federal directives on obtaining legal status by getting a work permit. But, according to state law, one needs a state issued ID to get a work permit, but the state refuses such a request-- the state has placed a barrier on fulfilling federal law. It's runs a risk of creating a catch 22. It may not, hence Scotus allowing the law to stand on its face, but I suspect AZ has every intention of undermining the immigration directive because they view it as amnesty.

One can only hope that once bambam is bounced out of the White House, Romney will get rid of his backdoor amnesty program.

For now though. The police can only ask for proof if the person is pulled over or otherwise stopped for some reason.

They are not stopping innocent people on their way to the grocery.

Your Ass-umption that Arizona wants to harrass people is presumptuous

logroller
09-06-2012, 07:27 AM
One can only hope that once bambam is bounced out of the White House, Romney will get rid of his backdoor amnesty program.

For now though. The police can only ask for proof if the person is pulled over or otherwise stopped for some reason.

They are not stopping innocent people on their way to the grocery.

Your Ass-umption that Arizona wants to harrass people is presumptuous

I didn't say anything about harassment... Nor innocent persons stopped on the way to the grocery. So who's making ass-umptions here...not I! You've confirmed my suspicions on undermining Obama's directive though...not so presumptive was it?

Trigg
09-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I didn't say anything about harassment... Nor innocent persons stopped on the way to the grocery. So who's making ass-umptions here...not I! You've confirmed my suspicions on undermining Obama's directive though...not so presumptive was it?

The only thing I confirmed was that I HOPE that Romney gets elected and gets rid of the back door amnesty program that bambam has chosen.

Your suspicions regarding Arizona are simply that suspicions. There is no proof that they will racial profile, since EVERYONE who drives legally carries a license or at least a foreign passport and rental papers.

If the police encounter people driving who don't have a license/passport/green card or can't speak English than I would say they have a REASON to doubt that said person is in the country legally.

logroller
09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
The only thing I confirmed was that I HOPE that Romney gets elected and gets rid of the back door amnesty program that bambam has chosen.

Your suspicions regarding Arizona are simply that suspicions. There is no proof that they will racial profile, since EVERYONE who drives legally carries a license or at least a foreign passport and rental papers.

If the police encounter people driving who don't have a license/passport/green card or can't speak English than I would say they have a REASON to doubt that said person is in the country legally.
I really dont want to fight over this trigg, but where, exactly, did I mention anything having to with race or the reasonable suspicion tenet of stop & ID? I said iI thought AZ was trying undermine Obama's immigration directive. Do you think I'm wrong?

Trigg
09-07-2012, 12:31 PM
I really dont want to fight over this trigg, but where, exactly, did I mention anything having to with race or the reasonable suspicion tenet of stop & ID? I said iI thought AZ was trying undermine Obama's immigration directive. Do you think I'm wrong?

Yes, I think you are wrong.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-08-2012, 10:57 AM
I said iI thought AZ was trying undermine Obama's immigration directive. Do you think I'm wrong?

Obama's "immigration policy"?? I thought our nation's immigration policy was set by Federal law which was the responsibility of our Congress and Senate. Ever since obama was placed on the throne its been given that his desires trump our laws, immigration being a prime example of that. He refuses to enforce federal law and goes even further to fight states that do! Yet you defend him and attack the states for obeying and enforcing federal law that obama will not!
I say , yes you are wrong. Most Americans think you are wrong because you obviously support obama's personal immigration policy which contradicts the LAW!
STRANGE HOW IT SEEMS HERE SO OFTEN THAT YOU SUPPORT OR DEFEND OBAMA SO MUCH (MUSLIMS TOO), I GOT TO ASK . ARE YOU A DEMOCRAT?--Tyr

Dilloduck
09-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Obama's "immigration policy"?? I thought our nation's immigration policy was set by Federal law which was the responsibility of our Congress and Senate. Ever since obama was placed on the throne its been given that his desires trump our laws, immigration being a prime example of that. He refuses to enforce federal law and goes even further to fight states that do! Yet you defend him and attack the states for obeying and enforcing federal law that obama will not!
I say , yes you are wrong. Most Americans think you are wrong because you obviously support obama's personal immigration policy which contradicts the LAW!
STRANGE HOW IT SEEMS HERE SO OFTEN THAT YOU SUPPORT OR DEFEND OBAMA SO MUCH (MUSLIMS TOO), I GOT TO ASK . ARE YOU A DEMOCRAT?--Tyr

Immigration law was ignored before anyone even heard of Obama.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Immigration law was ignored before anyone even heard of Obama.

Maybe but our president took no active role in encouraging illegal immigration and certainly not in attacking states for trying to insure their own security and borders! Obama went right in on the attack and you obviously agree with him or else you'd condemn his refusal to enforce existing federal law on immigration and his assault upon the states that do! Yet you defend him as you do the muslims. Are you a Democrat?-Tyr