PDA

View Full Version : Help for disabled soldier

CSM
09-07-2012, 07:56 AM
This is not a request for funds nor is it an attempt to garner sympathy. I am seeking advice.

I have a nephew who is in the process of being medically discharged from the US Army. He is rated at 100% disabled with severe PTSD (among other things) and has a few weeks to clear the Army and a few weeks of training with a service dog before he comes home. I want to help him transition back to civilian life as best I can. So, my question is: Has anyone had experience in this arena? I know there is tons of stuff on the internet, etc. and have been cramming my head full of as much of it as I can. There is no treatment facility (VA or otherwise) closer than 60 miles of where we live but am willing to get him to where ever he needs to go. I am talking more about dealing with this wounded warrrior on a daily basis. Any insight would be appreciated.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
09-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Helping family is important...thank your nephew for his service, from me, please.

I would certainly encourage you to get in touch with The Wounded Warrior Project, and ask for assistance for yourself. http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/programs.aspx

Your nephew is going to need support, and encouragement to get the assistance he needs/wants. It is difficult to stand by, but your nephew is going to have to WANT to participate in the help....or it won't do any good for someone to be pushing it on him.

:salute:

Thank you.

CSM
09-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Helping family is important...thank your nephew for his service, from me, please.

I would certainly encourage you to get in touch with The Wounded Warrior Project, and ask for assistance for yourself. http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/programs.aspx

Your nephew is going to need support, and encouragement to get the assistance he needs/wants. It is difficult to stand by, but your nephew is going to have to WANT to participate in the help....or it won't do any good for someone to be pushing it on him.

:salute:

Thank you.

He asked me to help him. I would not think of intruding on his life or foisting unwanted help on him. I had not htought of the wounded warrior project ( I should have but my brain aint all that good sometimes). We have talked a lot by phone as he was going through the evaluation process and we just seemed to hit it off. He is worried about finding a place to live, getting furniture and hopefully finding something productive to do (not sure what employment he is allowed to get given his disability status) and things like that. Thanks for the link and info! What is really sad is that this kid's dad (my brother) is dying of cancer with about a month or two to live and the rest of his family (mother and sisters) don't give a flying crap about him. None of his former friends can relate at all to him; my sons and myself have all been through things similar to what he has experienced so he seems to want to engage with us more than the rest of the family (and that is definitely ok with us!). Young folks his age (20 years old; was wounded a little over a year ago) should NOT have to deal with crap like this!

jimnyc
09-07-2012, 09:17 AM
I wish there was a way I could help myself, or help with advice or where to go. But I can pray for him and hope things work out. Hopefully other vets will see this and chime in. :salute:

aboutime
09-07-2012, 02:37 PM
This is not a request for funds nor is it an attempt to garner sympathy. I am seeking advice.

I have a nephew who is in the process of being medically discharged from the US Army. He is rated at 100% disabled with severe PTSD (among other things) and has a few weeks to clear the Army and a few weeks of training with a service dog before he comes home. I want to help him transition back to civilian life as best I can. So, my question is: Has anyone had experience in this arena? I know there is tons of stuff on the internet, etc. and have been cramming my head full of as much of it as I can. There is no treatment facility (VA or otherwise) closer than 60 miles of where we live but am willing to get him to where ever he needs to go. I am talking more about dealing with this wounded warrrior on a daily basis. Any insight would be appreciated.

WoundedWarrior project. It is doing much more to help young veterans like your nephew than the LONG process, and RED TAPE offered by the VA. They are prepared, and really DO HELP...without all of the typical crap we older vets had to put up with...and still do.

CSM
09-08-2012, 07:41 AM
WoundedWarrior project. It is doing much more to help young veterans like your nephew than the LONG process, and RED TAPE offered by the VA. They are prepared, and really DO HELP...without all of the typical crap we older vets had to put up with...and still do.

Thanks! Checking them out this weekend to see what they can do.

aboutime
09-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks! Checking them out this weekend to see what they can do.

Good news! Just don't give up. Our wounded warriors...all Americans. Need all the help they can get since the administration is just blowing SMOKE, pretending THEY CARE, and LOVE our Military. But they always forget to tell us. Only those members of the military who agree with the Administration, and would sell their SOULS for Obama.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-08-2012, 02:34 PM
He asked me to help him. I would not think of intruding on his life or foisting unwanted help on him. I had not htought of the wounded warrior project ( I should have but my brain aint all that good sometimes). We have talked a lot by phone as he was going through the evaluation process and we just seemed to hit it off. He is worried about finding a place to live, getting furniture and hopefully finding something productive to do (not sure what employment he is allowed to get given his disability status) and things like that. Thanks for the link and info! What is really sad is that this kid's dad (my brother) is dying of cancer with about a month or two to live and the rest of his family (mother and sisters) don't give a flying crap about him. None of his former friends can relate at all to him; my sons and myself have all been through things similar to what he has experienced so he seems to want to engage with us more than the rest of the family (and that is definitely ok with us!). Young folks his age (20 years old; was wounded a little over a year ago) should NOT have to deal with crap like this!

My nephew was wounded in Iraq ,his second tour. He came home to a wife that was divorcing him and making his life a living hell. Seriously she was an abolutely selfish bitch! Shafted him everyway she could during the divorce. He is just now starting to get his life back on track. I wish your nephew the best and your helping him is the right thing to do. Young men should not have to go thru so much after returning home wounded from war! Wounded Warrior Project would be the best place to seek qualified help . All the best to the young man and tell him 'ole Tyr said hello and may blessings fall his way like raindrops on a long rainy day in May . -:beer:-Tyr