PDA

View Full Version : Would You Favor Division of America Along Red-Blue Lines?

5stringJeff
05-25-2007, 11:59 AM
This map shows the division of red and blue states, according to the 2000 and 2004 Presidential elections, respectively.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/ElectoralCollege2000-Large-BushRed-GoreBlue.png/800px-ElectoralCollege2000-Large-BushRed-GoreBlue.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a6/Blue_Red_States.png/350px-Blue_Red_States.png

Someone brought this up in another thread. Would you like to see America divided into two or more countries, based upon these divisions?

Hobbit
05-25-2007, 12:21 PM
No. What I'd like to see is politicians (mainly on the left) stop trying to demonize the other side and see how to work together. This divide isn't natural and we haven't seen such hatred being spewed by political parties since the War Between the States, and it might take another such war to re-unite us, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

loosecannon
05-25-2007, 12:32 PM
No. What I'd like to see is politicians (mainly on the left) stop trying to demonize the other side and see how to work together. This divide isn't natural and we haven't seen such hatred being spewed by political parties since the War Between the States, and it might take another such war to re-unite us, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

The GOp's entire strategy has been polarizing while they acuse the left of being angry.

You can't buy this kind of hypocrisy anywhere.

I for one am divided. The rift that caused the civil war began before the revolution and has apparently never been resolved.

I would like to see the 5 westernmost states cecede. Let us deal with the immigrants!

Hobbit
05-25-2007, 12:36 PM
The GOp's entire strategy has been polarizing while they acuse the left of being angry.

I for one am divided. The rift that caused the civil war began before the revolution and has apparently never been resolved.

I would like to see the 5 westernmost states cecede. Let us deal with the immigrants!

I don't seem to recall where the GOP has compared anyone on the left to Hitler, claimed they would kill thousands of their own citizens for oil, etc. etc. while this seems to be the bread and butter of much of today's left. I'm not absolving the GOP by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't turn on the TV anymore without seeing a registered Democrat accusing someone on the other side of the aisle of some capital crime, be it murder, terrorism, treason or whatever.

Edit: Plus, it's actually the elected officials of the Democrat Party saying this, while only a few nutjobs on the right, who aren't elected, reciprocate.

05-25-2007, 12:41 PM

looks like you are the one polarizing... typical though.

GW in Ohio
05-25-2007, 12:52 PM
This map shows the division of red and blue states, according to the 2000 and 2004 Presidential elections, respectively.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/ElectoralCollege2000-Large-BushRed-GoreBlue.png/800px-ElectoralCollege2000-Large-BushRed-GoreBlue.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a6/Blue_Red_States.png/350px-Blue_Red_States.png

Someone brought this up in another thread. Would you like to see America divided into two or more countries, based upon these divisions?

I favor division of the country along the following lines:

Big 10 Nation

SEC Nation

PAC 10 Nation

Big East and ACC Nation

Big 12 Nation

Of course, the Big 10 Nation would lead the way in culture and learning.

loosecannon
05-25-2007, 12:59 PM

Big 10 Nation

SEC Nation

PAC 10 Nation

Big East and ACC Nation

Big 12 Nation

i like this

loosecannon
05-25-2007, 01:01 PM
looks like you are the one polarizing... typical though.

In 230 years we have never had a united states. When is enough, enough?

Hobbit
05-25-2007, 01:04 PM

Big 10 Nation

SEC Nation

PAC 10 Nation

Big East and ACC Nation

Big 12 Nation

Why don't we just skip the wars of succession and just rename the whole country "The United States of the SEC" and move the capital to Atlanta?

loosecannon
05-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Why don't we just skip the wars of succession and just rename the whole country "The United States of the SEC" and move the capital to Atlanta?

Because that would spark a civil war

Doniston
05-25-2007, 01:07 PM

Someone brought this up in another thread. Would you like to see America divided into two or more countries, based upon these divisions? I didn't vote

none of the choices is reasonable or possible. to do so, one of the humunggus number of dividing lines would be next door to me, bewteen to neighbors.

Or are you suggesting uprooting and moving all the people to more advantagous positions?

Pale Rider
05-25-2007, 05:28 PM
I voted yes, other. Along the lines of "conservative and liberal." We know all too well what the liberals think and do. I oppose everything they stand for... surrender, abortion, terrorist appeasement, more taxes, queer marriage, amnesty, etc.. Screw 'em. I'd fight to see our country divided along those lines.

Doniston
05-25-2007, 06:47 PM
I voted yes, other. Along the lines of "conservative and liberal." We know all too well what the liberals think and do. I oppose everything they stand for... surrender, abortion, terrorist appeasement, more taxes, queer marriage, amnesty, etc.. Screw 'em. I'd fight to see our country divided along those lines. Do you still beleive that Red and Blue are Liberal and Conservative? that is simply not true, the red and blue are rpresentative of democrat and republican, and are both very mixed when it comes to conservative and liberal values.

Abbey Marie
05-25-2007, 09:02 PM
The problem with the divisions, is that voters arent uniform within states. A state like PA, for example, is technically blue, but the population outside of Pittsburgh and Philly is usually more Republican. Probably vice versa for red states.

5stringJeff
05-25-2007, 09:14 PM
My feeling: I would rather not see America divide, but I have a feeling that it may happen within the next 50-75 years. And wherever Texas goes, I go.

Hugh Lincoln
05-26-2007, 05:27 PM
My feeling: I would rather not see America divide, but I have a feeling that it may happen within the next 50-75 years. And wherever Texas goes, I go.

Man, I think the reconquistas have some ideas about what'll happen to Texas, and "Remember the Alamo" won't be part of it.

5stringJeff
05-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Man, I think the reconquistas have some ideas about what'll happen to Texas, and "Remember the Alamo" won't be part of it.

Not while I'm armed.

nevadamedic
05-26-2007, 07:02 PM

No doubt.

nevadamedic
05-26-2007, 07:08 PM
There is no way that we will ever have another civil war.

Kathianne
05-26-2007, 07:14 PM

I concur. The issues of slavery and secession had festered for nearly 100 years before the war occurred. It seems to me that what is currently dividing our country has been bad politics, which could cause a revolutionary change of some sort, though more likely some issue, (immigration proposal currently springs to mind), will unite the citizens against the two parties and some compromise will be worked out.

loosecannon
05-26-2007, 07:39 PM
I concur. The issues of slavery and secession had festered for nearly 100 years before the war occurred. It seems to me that what is currently dividing our country has been bad politics, which could cause a revolutionary change of some sort, though more likely some issue, (immigration proposal currently springs to mind), will unite the citizens against the two parties and some compromise will be worked out.

well that was thoughtful enough.

I suspect that the division between Americans is not an accident. I see an industry working it night and day. I also see what many call a 51% solution in place.

Political strategists know that they can win elections for either party if the polarization is close, and they have the polling data and smear campaign capacity to swing just a few swing states and just a few % of the vote within those states either way.

A balanced, polarized two party system is completely vulnerable to being fixed by professionals even without diebold problems.

And this isn't exclusive to the US alone. It is a useful capacity in democracies worldwide.

Which is why democracy is the system we want to install in the ME.

Noam Chomsky: "As previously, elections were run by the PR industry. Its guiding principle is deceit. That is true in its regular vocation of undermining the fanciful markets of doctrine, in which informed consumers make rational choices. And the same practices are used when it is called upon to undermine democracy. That businesses spend vast sums to delude consumers, not inform them, is too obvious to merit comment. It is entirely natural that they should do the same when they are selling candidates, not toothpaste. And voters appear to be aware of it."

05-26-2007, 11:57 PM

They said there would never be another world war after WWI. We all saw how long that lasted.

Nuc
05-27-2007, 06:01 PM
I think we should bring back the Confederacy and give Texas back to Mexico. The remainder can be the USA. That solves a lot of problems in two simple moves.

5stringJeff
05-27-2007, 06:16 PM
I think we should bring back the Confederacy and give Texas back to Mexico. The remainder can be the USA. That solves a lot of problems in two simple moves.

You mean give Texas its independence back, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_texas

Pale Rider
05-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Do you still beleive that Red and Blue are Liberal and Conservative? that is simply not true, the red and blue are rpresentative of democrat and republican, and are both very mixed when it comes to conservative and liberal values.

I didn't mention red and white now did I? I said, "conservative and liberal." Just take minute and read what I say next time slowly, so you can comprehend it.

Pale Rider
05-27-2007, 06:27 PM
The problem with the divisions, is that voters arent uniform within states. A state like PA, for example, is technically blue, but the population outside of Pittsburgh and Philly is usually more Republican. Probably vice versa for red states.

There would conceivably be a lot of moving around required.

Pale Rider
05-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Well that may make you feel good to say that, however, there's more indication that we WILL have another one than not.

Abbey Marie
05-27-2007, 09:45 PM
There would conceivably be a lot of moving around required.

Sicne we get the lion's share of the "strong-defense" and "stop illegal immigration" -minded people, it could work out well for us. :salute:

Nuc
05-28-2007, 10:35 AM
You mean give Texas its independence back, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_texas

Sure, sounds good to me!:salute:

Doniston
05-28-2007, 05:27 PM
I didn't mention red and white now did I? I said, "conservative and liberal." Just take minute and read what I say next time slowly, so you can comprehend it. Now I never said you did, but apparently you don't even know what you write pray tell, where did the WHITE come from???

now back to my question. You apparently think that if a state is listed as red or blue, the whole state is that way. same would obviously go for Liberal/conservative. Now, if I am incorrect, how would you uerpose to separate them ?

You see, I pay much more attention than you realize.

chum43
05-28-2007, 05:57 PM
no, what we need to do is go back to the way things were supposed to be from the get go, seperate states with seperate laws united by a federal government with hardly any limited powers... that way we could have 50 different sets of laws to choose from, that was the whole point of having states from the get go, if you didn't like it where you were you could move or if enough people didn't like it in a particular state they could change things... unfortunately today the federal government has way too much power and regulations for that to be very successful.

manu1959
05-28-2007, 06:02 PM

alaska hawaii california washington and oregon......interesting choice

chum43
05-28-2007, 06:36 PM
I've said it a million times before and i'll say it again, the government is not polarized, the people are, and it's a control mechanism that is an illusion put forth by the corrupt assholes in power(and no before you yell at me I don't mean bush or the republicans or the democrats specifically, I mean all of them and specially their higher ups), if not the politicians themselves than at least by the corporations who run the show with the media and the lobbyists, they want us polarized so they can do whatever they want in the name of going against the enemy, and when that doesn't work they always have the opposition(which they also control) as a backup plan... it's a way to do whatever you want to the people without ever losing their faith and support, if they hate what you are doing you give them the satisfaction of being on the opposition, which is just as bad but a different version of what they dislike... it's giving the people a choice between piss and shit, polarizing to the point where they'll gladly accept shit, as long as it's not piss, or vice versa... and so it goes.

glockmail
05-28-2007, 08:21 PM
The queers and the Democrats can have all those blue counties, IMO.

Gunny
05-29-2007, 04:22 AM

I chose "in another fashion." Why give the loony left ANYTHING? I'm for sending them all to Iraq and making the whole place one, big blue state. That way they can hang out with those they sympathize with most.

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 01:26 PM
no, what we need to do is go back to the way things were supposed to be from the get go, seperate states with seperate laws united by a federal government with hardly any limited powers... that way we could have 50 different sets of laws to choose from, that was the whole point of having states from the get go, if you didn't like it where you were you could move or if enough people didn't like it in a particular state they could change things... unfortunately today the federal government has way too much power and regulations for that to be very successful.

And it's the people's DUTY to take them down.