PDA

View Full Version : The Failure That Is Obama's Foreign Policy

Kathianne
09-16-2012, 04:13 AM
Our enemies don't know they are, nor do our allies know they are. Why? We don't know who are our allies or enemies. Seriously.

http://news.yahoo.com/china-struggles-channel-anger-anti-japan-protests-resume-020143761--finance.html

BEIJING, China (Reuters) - Torrid protests against Japan broke out in Chinese cities for a second day on Sunday, prompting Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda to urge Beijing to protect his country's companies and diplomatic buildings from fresh assaults.

In the biggest flare-up in protests over East China Sea islands claimed by China and Japan, police fired tear gas and used water cannon to repel thousands of protesters occupying a street in the southern city of Shenzhen, near Hong Kong.

The protests erupted in Beijing and other cities on Saturday, when demonstrators besieged the Japanese embassy, hurling rocks, eggs and bottles, and testing cordons of anti-riot police.
In at least four other Chinese cities, demonstrators looted shops and attacked Japanese cars. Protesters also broke into a dozen Japanese-run factories in the eastern city of Qingdao, according to the Japanese broadcaster NHK.

"Regrettably, this is a problem concerning the safety of Japanese nationals and Japan-affiliated companies," Prime Minister Noda told a talk show on NHK. "I would like to urge the Chinese government to protect their safety."

fj1200
09-16-2012, 04:34 AM
Did someone in Japan make a low-budget movie about Confucius or something?

Kathianne
09-16-2012, 04:36 AM
Did someone in Japan make a low-budget movie about Confucius or something?

Seems Japan isn't into tweaking. However, China seems to be very thin skinned right now. Which is more powerful? Which thought they had an 'ally' and now is not so sure? Which is a democracy and committed to free trade?

Obama picks China. You?

fj1200
09-16-2012, 04:53 AM
Seems Japan isn't into tweaking. However, China seems to be very thin skinned right now. Which is more powerful? Which thought they had an 'ally' and now is not so sure? Which is a democracy and committed to free trade?

Obama picks China. You?

Sorry, I needed to read your quote more closely. The disputed islands. What has BO said so far or is his lack of comment more telling to you?

It's about time to free up that Japanese military though.

Kathianne
09-16-2012, 04:56 AM
Sorry, I needed to read your quote more closely. The disputed islands. What has BO said so far or is his lack of comment more telling to you?

It's about time to free up that Japanese military though.

and the Japanese military increased when? Why? I bet they are counting their blessings today. Without a response on their own front, what would happen? However they aren't a match for China, with nukes or not. Without backing, they are Poland in WWII.

fj1200
09-16-2012, 05:02 AM
and the Japanese military increased when? Why? I bet they are counting their blessings today. Without a response on their own front, what would happen? However they aren't a match for China, with nukes or not. Without backing, they are Poland in WWII.

True. I don't see us sticking our necks out here. I am surprised that the Chinese of all people are upset about state ownership of natural resources.

Do you presume though that China = Germany?

Gaffer
09-16-2012, 09:13 AM
True. I don't see us sticking our necks out here. I am surprised that the Chinese of all people are upset about state ownership of natural resources.

Read the tea leafs. Most countries in the east still hold grudges against Japan, especially China. China is growing into a super power. I wouldn't call China Germany like. But they are flexing their muscles. And without the US to back them Japan is not going to be able to do much. Altho, they have made changes to their constitution to allow them to build and equip a more offensive military.

Kathianne
09-16-2012, 10:14 AM

No, just that Japan is tiny, undermanned, and underpowered. They would stand up to an invasion and their terrain is tougher than Poland's low lying lands, but the Chinese are familiar with the same terrain. It would be over in days.

If naval or air, Chinese are vastly superior in men and machines.

fj1200
09-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I don't disagree with either of you but where is the failure and what is success?

Gaffer
09-16-2012, 01:18 PM
I haven't read any reports on what's been going on over there. A tense situation that our media doesn't seem to have an interest in. Chinese protests, that are govt sponsored, over the Japanese govt buying property from a Japanese citizen. Calls for war by Chinese citizens. Seems there should be some serious naval presence in the east China Sea on the part of the US.

Hillary's hosting a end of ramadan feast while things are boiling with Japan and China. I see failure for the administration and no successes coming from any of this.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-16-2012, 01:30 PM
What if Americans acted this way in front of the foreign embassies in this country to demonstrate all the things that we don't like that happen in muslim countries? Wouldnt that be considered the great SATAN , Israel's ally , attacking Islam yet again?

Look at how Islamists are acting so savage in their expression of their religious thoughts and actions.. Why is this great nation still working with and catering to these muslim countries as if they are capable(or ever have been) of being civilized? Clearly they are not !

Our politicians are playing "circle the wagons" to protect their worthless hides and a "kiss muslim ass" game instead of protecting the sovereign soil of our American Embassies in the ME. American casualties on American soil (which is what the embassies are ) and we have the Obama admin. only protecting obama's reelection bid instead of protecting American interests overseas as they are sworn by oath to do. This is exactly what being such tolerant (and blinded) people hits you with as your "just desserts" in a brutal world of savage and fanaticaly religious people= muslims!--Tyr

Kathianne
09-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Not a recent problem, such as the embassy deal. There was a lot in the news last Spring:

https://www.google.com/search?q=US+naval+presence+in+Pacific+china&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

There are signs though that it's escalating:

http://finance.townhall.com/columnists/nightwatch/2012/09/16/democracy_is_station_stop_for_islamic_caliphate

It was the first intrusion by Chinese ships into Japan's territorial waters since the Japanese government nationalized the Japanese-controlled islets in the East China Sea this month. The coast guard said it was the largest group of Chinese surveillance ships to enter Japanese territorial waters near the Senkakus at one time.

Japan filed a strong protest with China through diplomatic channels. Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda told reporters in Tokyo, "We will take all possible measures" to ensure security around the Senkakus.

In Beijing, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said the Chinese surveillance ships sailed to the Senkaku waters "to protect our sovereignty." "It is a just action, and it is appropriate," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said.

Xinhua News Agency quoted a government statement as saying that the "law enforcement and patrol activities" are aimed at demonstrating "China's jurisdiction over the Diaoyu Islands (Senkakus) and its affiliated islets and ensure the country's maritime interests."

China - UN: China's permanent representative to the United Nations Li Baodong on Thursday met UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and filed a copy of the Chinese government's Diaoyu Islands baseline announcement with the United Nations.

China has now fulfilled all the obligations stipulated in the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, and has completed the legal process regarding the announcement of the base points and baselines of the territorial waters of Diaoyu Islands and their affiliated islets.

Under Article 16 of the Convention, coastal states are required to deposit with the UN chief charts showing straight baselines and archipelagic baselines as well as lists of geographical coordinates.

Earlier in the week, the Chinese government on Monday announced the base points and baselines of the territorial waters of the Diaoyu Islands and their affiliated islets in accordance with its law on territorial seas and adjacent zones.

Comment: The Chinese stole a march on the Japanese by filing first their baselines with the UN, as prescribed by the Convention on the Law of the Seas. Filing with the UN is a key step in obtaining international recognition of a nation's claim...

Two points are a bit perplexing. China and Japan could have filed claims years ago. It is odd that China waited so long to file and odd that Japan waited so long to purchase the islands from a private owner.

The 3rd Convention has existed since 1982. China signed the Convention in 1982 and ratified it in 1996. Japan signed the convention in 1983 and ratified it in 1996, but only purchased the islands this month. This Convention enables continental countries to use distant islands to extend their claims to national sovereignty deep into ocean regions that previously were international waters.

As for China and Japan, it has now become impossible to separate issues of national pride from economic interests. China will not back down or compromise because of its 2005 Anti-Secession Law. Japan has no comparable law, but the government could fall if it does not challenge China's claims, especially since Japan possesses the islands.

China's aggressive deployment of surveillance ships, which are in effect maritime police, deliberately raises tension and contradicts the blandishments of Chinese diplomats.

The dispute is likely to lead to exchanges of naval gunfire as warnings, but no naval clashes. The underlying issues are tailor-made for international law attorneys and negotiations. The Japanese will find, however, that the Chinese will not compromise which will pose serious problems for Japanese decision makers.

Japanese leaders are not likely to resort to military actions at this time but Chinese fisheries and ocean agencies need to proceed with caution and synchronize their actions with Chinese diplomats. The two are widely out of sync at this time...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-16-2012, 01:35 PM
I haven't read any reports on what's been going on over there. A tense situation that our media doesn't seem to have an interest in. Chinese protests, that are govt sponsored, over the Japanese govt buying property from a Japanese citizen. Calls for war by Chinese citizens. Seems there should be some serious naval presence in the east China Sea on the part of the US.

Hillary's hosting a end of ramadan feast while things are boiling with Japan and China. I see failure for the administration and no successes coming from any of this.

One can look at my past posts stating that China would soon start flexing its muscle and eventually start retaking territory that it claims to have lost. I even stated they would do so because obama is weak, a coward , a azzhat.-Tyr