PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Swift has invaded our home

gabosaurus
09-18-2012, 10:34 PM
In recorded form, of course. By way of a CD my borrowed from a school friend. Not sure what I think about this.
I suppose it is better than Justin Bieber and One Direction, who we have avoided so far.
I am still getting used to Carly Rae Jepsen and Kelly Clarkson. The latter the cause of my husband's sporadic versions of "My Life Would Suck Without You."

Perhaps it is time to break out the old Atomic Kitten and Sugarbabes CDs I inherited from my best friend when she moved to England. Or perhaps not. :laugh:

SassyLady
09-18-2012, 11:30 PM
LOL ... she invaded my granddaughter's life about three years ago. My daughter drove her drove all the way from Tucson to Fresno a couple of years ago to attend a concert. It was GD's 11th birthday present.

My daughter knows one of the crew who got her down in the pit area around the catwalk that Taylor stood on while performing. Her first live concert.

gabosaurus
09-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Can't say I care for the simplistic music that much, but Taylor Swift can write some hellaciously good lyrics. I printed out the lyrics to the song "Mean" and gave them to my daughter to read. Now I know why she has such a huge appeal to kids.

You, with your words like knives and swords and weapons that you use against me
You have knocked me off my feet again got me feeling like I'm nothing
You, with your voice like nails on a chalkboard, calling me out when I'm wounded
You, pickin' on the weaker man

Well, you can take me down with just one single blow
But you don't know what you don't know

Someday I'll be living in a big old city
And all you're ever gonna be is mean
Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me

Why you gotta be so mean?

You, with your switching sides and your walk-by lies and your humiliation
You, have pointed out my flaws again as if I don't already see them
I'll walk with my head down trying to block you out 'cause I'll never impress you
I just wanna feel okay again

I'll bet you got pushed around, somebody made you cold
But the cycle ends right now 'cause you can't lead me down that road
And you don't know what you don't know

Someday I'll be living in a big old city
Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me

And I can see you years from now in a bar, talking over a football game
With that same big loud opinion but nobody's listening
Washed up and ranting about the same old bitter things
Drunk and grumbling on about how I can't sing

But all you are is mean
All you are is mean and a liar and pathetic and alone in life
And mean, and mean, and mean, and mean

Trinity
09-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Taylor Swift is not to bad....wait till she discovers this..........and this is mild compared to some of the other stuff I have heard my boy's and their friends listening to.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wa5B22KAkEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

logroller
09-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Taylor Swift is not to bad....wait till she discovers this..........and this is mild compared to some of the other stuff I have heard my boy's and their friends listening to.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wa5B22KAkEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
I totally bumped snoop when I was in high school. Cracks me up how rich snoop has become rapping about the ghetto to white kids. Supposedly snoop is changing his tune to reggae and making music he would let his kids and grandkids listen to. Oh yeah, he changed his name to snoop lion too.

Trinity
09-20-2012, 04:59 PM
I totally bumped snoop when I was in high school. Cracks me up how rich snoop has become rapping about the ghetto to white kids. Supposedly snoop is changing his tune to reggae and making music he would let his kids and grandkids listen to. Oh yeah, he changed his name to snoop lion too.

lol right.....and yes I heard about the name and format change.....I found out about a month or so ago, best part was when I went into the living room and told my son and his friends and they were like WHAT!? They hadn't heard yet....hmmm that's funny I don't really even listen to snoop anymore and I knew before they did...... Then they bust out with what is he changing it to? I said Snoop Lion :laugh: nothing like watching 4 teens mouths hit the floor in complete shock.

jimnyc
09-20-2012, 06:33 PM
I like Taylor, and think she's awfully talented. And there is something really pure about her, even if she has dated a few too many stars for my liking. She is more classy than your average star out there and doesn't dress like a slut.

jimnyc
09-20-2012, 06:37 PM

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wa5B22KAkEk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Oh man, Snoop and Whiz, Doobies and Boobies. This is what got me in trouble for far too many years! LOL I like the music, it's funny, but certainly not good role models for our kids.

DragonStryk72
09-20-2012, 09:45 PM
In recorded form, of course. By way of a CD my borrowed from a school friend. Not sure what I think about this.
I suppose it is better than Justin Bieber and One Direction, who we have avoided so far.
I am still getting used to Carly Rae Jepsen and Kelly Clarkson. The latter the cause of my husband's sporadic versions of "My Life Would Suck Without You."

Perhaps it is time to break out the old Atomic Kitten and Sugarbabes CDs I inherited from my best friend when she moved to England. Or perhaps not. :laugh:

Actually, I like Taylor Swift. She makes good music, and stays away from the preachy. I've found I tend not to like preachy music.

gabosaurus
09-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Rap music will never be played in our home. My daughter doesn't like it anyway.
I am OK with Taylor Swift. Her lyrics tend to be rather clever, and often very empowering to women.
If you haven't heard "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together," you should. It's pretty awesome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WA4iX5D9Z64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

logroller
09-21-2012, 04:59 AM
I am OK with Taylor Swift. Her lyrics tend to be rather clever, and often very empowering to women.
If you haven't heard "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together," you should. It's pretty awesome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WA4iX5D9Z64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
Individual tastes for genres may differ between one another, so I respect ones opinion on music due to its subjective nature; but come on, Another Taylor swift song about a boyfriend... Maybe it's the Irish in my blood, but no matter what you put on a potato, it's still a potato-- gimme something besides the same thing with different toppings.

Trinity
09-21-2012, 10:01 AM

Sorry Gabs gotta do it......... :lmao::lmao:

I remembering uttering those same words once.

However she will eventually get to the age of expressing herself and finding out who she is, and it is very likely that she may listen to music you would prefer her to not listen to.

gabosaurus
09-21-2012, 11:48 AM
However she will eventually get to the age of expressing herself and finding out who she is, and it is very likely that she may listen to music you would prefer her to not listen to.

When I was growing up, my parents determined what I listened to. If they didn't approve, I had no money to buy the music and it didn't get into my home. Fortunately, my dad has always been a metalhead. :cool:

My daughter is the same way. I can't control what she listens to outside the house. But I retain control of what she listens to at home.

Oh, and "We Will Never..." is a song about a boyfriend. One that gets kicked out the door. And the video is hilarious.

Trigg
09-21-2012, 01:33 PM
When I was growing up, my parents determined what I listened to. If they didn't approve, I had no money to buy the music and it didn't get into my home. Fortunately, my dad has always been a metalhead. :cool:

My daughter is the same way. I can't control what she listens to outside the house. But I retain control of what she listens to at home.

Oh, and "We Will Never..." is a song about a boyfriend. One that gets kicked out the door. And the video is hilarious.

I wish you luck with that.

I too banned rap music from my house and for the most part the ban works pretty well. My son's tell on their sister whenever they hear it coming quietly from her room.

At which point I go upstairs and tell her to "turn that crap off"

Trinity
09-21-2012, 04:20 PM

Yeah my parent's didn't care for my choice in music, but I don't recall them forbidding me from making my own decisions on what I wanted to listen to.....they might have told me to turn it down but never off.....I was a metal head :thumb:

and on that note I will add that I allow my boys to listen to whatever they want, as long as they are listening to it preferably in the living room on the surround sound...why you ask? So I can listen too ;)..... and then discuss with them the songs that they have chosen to listen to, and why they made those choices. And then we discuss how some of the songs are very degrading towards women etc. etc. but it opens up a line of communication about music between me and my boy's.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Video contains mature language and situations, and is NOT appropriate for children or work.....You have been warned, play at your own risk.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pn1VGytzXus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Most of this type of music my 16 year old is listening to.......My 14 year old prefers metal and screamo and oh that's a whole other story. :cool:

oh and just for the record I can't stand Nicki Minaj!! Her voice is annoying.

Trinity
09-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Thought I would share this one with you guys too....I discovered this rapper on youtube one day when I was bored, and introduced it to my son and his friends.

I told them pay close attention to the lyrics, he speaks the truth in regards to today's youth.
Damn now I got rhymes :laugh:

There is some foul language but he gets the point across.......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hRVOOwFNp5U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

gabosaurus
09-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Rap and prefabricated pop appear to be the music of choice in the middle school that my daughter attends. I can deal with Britney Spears and Katy Perry (my daughter thinks they "need to wear more clothes"), but not with rap.
There was a rap song that my daughter was listening to last spring on a CD some kid gave to her. It had some repetitive dance beat that kids liked. I looked up the lyrics and printed them out. I explained to my daughter that she was not a "ho" and should not ever be disrespected by some of the actions described in the song.

I can deal with the booty shaking of Jenni Rivera. Her lyrics are kind of sexual sometimes, but my sister won't translate the lyrics for her. So she just likes the music.