PDA

View Full Version : Ohio lethal injection takes 2 hours, 10 tries

nevadamedic
05-25-2007, 02:44 PM
LUCASVILLE, Ohio (AP) -- Death penalty opponents called on the state to halt executions after prison staff struggled to find suitable veins on a condemned man's arm to deliver the lethal chemicals.

The execution team stuck Christopher Newton at least 10 times with needles Thursday to insert the shunts where the chemicals are injected.

He died at 11:53 a.m., nearly two hours after the scheduled start of his execution at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility. The process typically takes about 20 minutes.

"What is clear from today's botched execution is that the state doesn't know how to execute people without torturing them to death," American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio attorney Carrie Davis said Thursday.

"Having one botched execution is too many; that Ohio has now had two botched executions in as many years is intolerable."

Officials said the delay was due to Newton's size -- he weighed 265 pounds. In May 2006, the execution of Joseph Lewis Clark was delayed about 90 minutes because the team could not find a suitable vein. He was a longtime intravenous drug user.

A group of Ohio inmates is suing over the state's injection method, saying it is unconstitutionally cruel, and Thursday's delay helps show that the state is unable to smoothly complete executions, said Greg Meyers, chief counsel for the Public Defender's Office.

"There will be a day in trial that they will have to answer up as to what caused this two-hour delay," he said. "That's a lot of time messing around trying to get a needle in a vein."

But Newton, who had had insisted on the death penalty as punishment and made no attempt to appeal, chatted and laughed with prison staff throughout the delay. It took so long that the staff paused to allow Newton a bathroom break.

Gov. Ted Strickland, a Democrat who took office in January, said every precaution was taken to make sure Newton was treated respectfully and was not in pain. He said he understood why death penalty opponents wanted a moratorium, but "I think what happened today is not any supporting justification for that."

He was put to death for beating and choking cell mate Jason Brewer, 27, in 2001 after they argued during a chess game. He had slammed Brewer's head onto the floor, stomped his throat and cut a piece from his orange prison suit to strangle him.

Problems with injection executions have caused delays in other states, including one in Florida last December that prompted Gov. Jeb Bush to suspend executions as a commission examines its procedures.

In a statement read by a lawyer after his death, Newton, 37, apologized to Brewer's family and his own. But the only thing Newton said in the death chamber was: "Yes, boy, I could sure go for some beef stew and a chicken bone. That's it."

A decision was made not to intervene when the execution was delayed because Newton wanted to die and "our job ... (is) to represent our clients," Meyers said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/05/25/ohio.execution.ap/index.html

Couldn't that by law be defined by cruel and unusual? Not that I am sticking up for him, im just judging by what the law says.

Guernicaa
05-25-2007, 03:00 PM
I don't get it. If a state is going to allow executions, why do they need to be so complicated? Shit like this happens as a result of having to "inject" the person.

They should just take a shotgun and shoot him in the head.

Gaffer
05-25-2007, 03:24 PM
I agree with using a shotgun.

glockmail
05-25-2007, 04:01 PM
This is bullshit, calling it a "botched". Its not unusual to have to stick a patient several times to get a needle in, and the process taking a lot of time, especially id the patient is uncooperative.

Abbey Marie
05-25-2007, 04:21 PM
The CNN story title implied he was writhing in agony for two hours, when in fact he was just waiting for them to successfully put an IV in. This one gets the Misleading Title of the Week award.

Nienna
05-25-2007, 04:25 PM
This is bullshit, calling it a "botched". Its not unusual to have to stick a patient several times to get a needle in, and the process taking a lot of time, especially id the patient is uncooperative.

EXACTLY! Having to stick & restick a person is now "torture"? Puh-lease. Every time I get pregnant, I have to take 2 injections a day, and have been hospitalized with those annoying tubes stuck in my arm for days. While I am all for humane executions, having to restick someone is hardly torture.

glockmail
05-25-2007, 04:33 PM

Couldn't that by law be defined by cruel and unusual? Not that I am sticking up for him, im just judging by what the law says.

You got sucked in again by the drive by media man.

Birdzeye
05-25-2007, 04:37 PM
The CNN story title implied he was writhing in agony for two hours, when in fact he was just waiting for them to successfully put an IV in. This one gets the Misleading Title of the Week award.

I guess I'll have to go back and re-read the story, this time reading between the lines.

glockmail
05-25-2007, 04:39 PM
I guess I'll have to go back and re-read the story, this time reading between the lines.
Why bother? The headline fits the Liberal Agenda. Don't waste your time with facts.

Doniston
05-25-2007, 04:56 PM

Now hold on there --- it doesn't take 2 hours to try to find a vein 8 times. there has to be more to the story than that.

But on the subject of capital punishment. and in spite of the problems occurring this time. I am in favor of the Kavorkian method. aside for the initial placement of the needle, it was painless. and unless you want them to be in pain. this seem the more valid answer.

glockmail
05-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Now hold on there --- it doesn't take 2 hours to try to find a vein 8 times. there has to be more to the story than that.

But on the subject of capital punishment. and in spite of the problems occurring this time. I am in favor of the Kavorkian method. aside for the initial insertian of the needle, it was painless. and unless you want them to be in pain. this seem the more valid answer.

Come on, man, think this through. Have you been to the DMV lately? Every step of the process that doesn't go exactly as planned requires and act of congress- its the government. 2 hours is a nano-second for any government action.

Doniston
05-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Why bother? The headline fits the Liberal Agenda. Don't waste your time with facts.

NOW NOW NOW GLOCK, you really know better than that. Now get off the partisan reteric.

Abbey Marie
05-25-2007, 05:01 PM

But on the subject of capital punishment. and in spite of the problems occurring this time. I am in favor of the Kavorkian method. aside for the initial insertian of the needle, it was painless. and unless you want them to be in pain. this seem the more valid answer.

We can only go by what the source decided to print. If there was other key info, then shame on them for not printing it.

With all the procedural checks that go on with the death penalty, it doesn't surprise me at all that it could take two hours. They probably had to restart the whole affair, with checks and double checks and triple checks by officials, each time the IV didn't take.

glockmail
05-25-2007, 05:06 PM
NOW NOW NOW GLOCK, you really know better than that. Now get off the partisan reteric.
Te poster that I was responding to is a demostrated kool-aid drinker. I was being facetious.

Doniston
05-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Come on, man, think this through. Have you been to the DMV lately? Every step of the process that doesn't go exactly as planned requires and act of congress- its the government. 2 hours is a nano-second for any government action. Disagree in this case. For that to be true, the doctor would have to be a vicious dr frankenstein.

Doniston
05-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Te poster that I was responding to is a demostrated kool-aid drinker. I was being facetious. HOKAY, ----accepted

Yurt
05-25-2007, 06:22 PM
EXACTLY! Having to stick & restick a person is now "torture"? Puh-lease. Every time I get pregnant, I have to take 2 injections a day, and have been hospitalized with those annoying tubes stuck in my arm for days. While I am all for humane executions, having to restick someone is hardly torture.

Exactly. I was thinking the same. We used to have quicker methods, but oh no, those were to "cruel." You know, guns, hanging, etc.... Now we have wussified ourselves to needles and drugs and apparently these are still too cruel...

Trigg
05-25-2007, 06:27 PM
"A decision was made not to intervene when the execution was delayed because Newton wanted to die and "our job ... (is) to represent our clients," Meyers said."

This line pretty much says it all. The man was ready to die and didn't fight any appeals in the death sentance.

For all of you who don't work in the health field. It isn't unusual, especially in over weight people, old or people who have done drugs, to have a hard time getting a vein. I have seen people get stuck 5-6 times before they call in an EMT or experience phlebotimist to get the IV in.

glockmail
05-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Disagree in this case. For that to be true, the doctor would have to be a vicious dr frankenstein. Last sentence post 18. She's right. I know lots of people who work in health care- several doctors and one very talented IV nurse, and all would attest to this. The IV nurse is on call at several hospitals when they get a really tough case. Some time she even gets in via the patients neck.

Doniston
05-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Last sentence post 18. She's right. I know lots of people who work in health care- several doctors and one very talented IV nurse, and all would attest to this. The IV nurse is on call at several hospitals when they get a really tough case. Some time she even gets in via the patients neck.

No arguement there. but it still doesn't take two hours to try 8 times. there's something else here.

Gunny
05-25-2007, 08:13 PM
LUCASVILLE, Ohio (AP) -- Death penalty opponents called on the state to halt executions after prison staff struggled to find suitable veins on a condemned man's arm to deliver the lethal chemicals.

The execution team stuck Christopher Newton at least 10 times with needles Thursday to insert the shunts where the chemicals are injected.

He died at 11:53 a.m., nearly two hours after the scheduled start of his execution at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility. The process typically takes about 20 minutes.

"What is clear from today's botched execution is that the state doesn't know how to execute people without torturing them to death," American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio attorney Carrie Davis said Thursday.

"Having one botched execution is too many; that Ohio has now had two botched executions in as many years is intolerable."

Officials said the delay was due to Newton's size -- he weighed 265 pounds. In May 2006, the execution of Joseph Lewis Clark was delayed about 90 minutes because the team could not find a suitable vein. He was a longtime intravenous drug user.

A group of Ohio inmates is suing over the state's injection method, saying it is unconstitutionally cruel, and Thursday's delay helps show that the state is unable to smoothly complete executions, said Greg Meyers, chief counsel for the Public Defender's Office.

"There will be a day in trial that they will have to answer up as to what caused this two-hour delay," he said. "That's a lot of time messing around trying to get a needle in a vein."

But Newton, who had had insisted on the death penalty as punishment and made no attempt to appeal, chatted and laughed with prison staff throughout the delay. It took so long that the staff paused to allow Newton a bathroom break.

Gov. Ted Strickland, a Democrat who took office in January, said every precaution was taken to make sure Newton was treated respectfully and was not in pain. He said he understood why death penalty opponents wanted a moratorium, but "I think what happened today is not any supporting justification for that."

He was put to death for beating and choking cell mate Jason Brewer, 27, in 2001 after they argued during a chess game. He had slammed Brewer's head onto the floor, stomped his throat and cut a piece from his orange prison suit to strangle him.

Problems with injection executions have caused delays in other states, including one in Florida last December that prompted Gov. Jeb Bush to suspend executions as a commission examines its procedures.

In a statement read by a lawyer after his death, Newton, 37, apologized to Brewer's family and his own. But the only thing Newton said in the death chamber was: "Yes, boy, I could sure go for some beef stew and a chicken bone. That's it."

A decision was made not to intervene when the execution was delayed because Newton wanted to die and "our job ... (is) to represent our clients," Meyers said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/05/25/ohio.execution.ap/index.html

If they'd go back to hanging, there wouldn't be a question. The condemned would either have his neck snapped or choke to death. I am ambivilous to their suffering either way.

Birdzeye
05-25-2007, 08:41 PM

Well, if it's so damned obvious to you, maybe you'd be kind enough to point out what part of the story implies that he was "writhing in agony." I just can't get all worked up about someone getting stuck with a needle multiple times; it's happened to me; no big deal.

Abbey Marie
05-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Well, if it's so damned obvious to you, maybe you'd be kind enough to point out what part of the story implies that he was "writhing in agony." I just can't get all worked up about someone getting stuck with a needle multiple times; it's happened to me; no big deal.

Glock never said that, I did.

The story never said that. The title implied the man was suffering.

Clear now?

What is confusing is why you are defending this. Anyone who is honest would admit the title made it sound a hell of a lot worse than it was. Are you that crazy about CNN?

Mr. P
05-25-2007, 08:48 PM
"A decision was made not to intervene when the execution was delayed because Newton wanted to die and "our job ... (is) to represent our clients," Meyers said."

This line pretty much says it all. The man was ready to die and didn't fight any appeals in the death sentance.

For all of you who don't work in the health field. It isn't unusual, especially in over weight people, old or people who have done drugs, to have a hard time getting a vein. I have seen people get stuck 5-6 times before they call in an EMT or experience phlebotimist to get the IV in.

Saw a guy one night stuck about 12 times and they still couldn't find a vein. And that was by two very experienced folks in an EMS operation, a Paramedic and a nurse together.

nevadamedic
05-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Saw a guy one night stuck about 12 times and they still couldn't find a vein. And that was by two very experienced folks in an EMS operation, a Paramedic and a nurse together.

I think the only thing cruel about it is being stuck on the death bed for two hours. Knowing any ssecond lights out.

glockmail
05-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Well, if it's so damned obvious to you, maybe you'd be kind enough to point out what part of the story implies that he was "writhing in agony." I just can't get all worked up about someone getting stuck with a needle multiple times; it's happened to me; no big deal. Te point is that the article was written to be misleading due to an obvious liberal agenda: anti death penalty.

5stringJeff
05-25-2007, 09:12 PM
They should just take a shotgun and shoot him in the head.

Holy crap, we agree!!! :D

Although I'd just use a pistol shot to the head, like that famous picture of the Vietnamese guy getting his brains blown out during the Vietnam War. Cheaper and easier to clean up.

nevadamedic
05-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Te point is that the article was written to be misleading due to an obvious liberal agenda: anti death penalty.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Birdzeye
05-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Glock never said that, I did.

The story never said that. The title implied the man was suffering.

Clear now?

What is confusing is why you are defending this. Anyone who is honest would admit the title made it sound a hell of a lot worse than it was. Are you that crazy about CNN?

That wasn't my take on it at all. I didn't sense any implication that "the man was suffering." How you can allege that I'm "defending this" is beyond comprehension. And your snide remark, "Are you that crazy about CNN?" is inappropriate.

My take on it was that it took them a long time to stick this guy, nothing more, nothing less. Sheesh.

Mr. P
05-25-2007, 10:15 PM
I think the only thing cruel about it is being stuck on the death bed for two hours. Knowing any ssecond lights out.

Perhaps he should have thought of that before he killed the guy over a damn chess game..

Abbey Marie
05-25-2007, 10:16 PM
That wasn't my take on it at all. I didn't sense any implication that "the man was suffering." How you can allege that I'm "defending this" is beyond comprehension. And your snide remark, "Are you that crazy about CNN?" is inappropriate.

My take on it was that it took them a long time to stick this guy, nothing more, nothing less. Sheesh.

Ok. So you agree that the title was misleading?

Mr. P
05-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Holy crap, we agree!!! :D

Although I'd just use a pistol shot to the head, like that famous picture of the Vietnamese guy getting his brains blown out during the Vietnam War. Cheaper and easier to clean up.

Ever see the video? Chilling!

shattered
05-25-2007, 10:20 PM

Pfft.. If 2 hours is cruel, may as well leave him there wondering indefinitely. Other than the fact that it costs more than he's worth to keep him alive..

One bullet. Bullets are cheap, and they solve a whole host of problems REAL quick.

Birdzeye
05-25-2007, 10:28 PM

Actually, no. The title mentions how long it took and how many tries it took. As long as that's accurate, I don't see the problem.

Perhaps you could propose what you'd consider a more appropriate title.

Abbey Marie
05-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Actually, no. The title mentions how long it took and how many tries it took. As long as that's accurate, I don't see the problem.

Perhaps you could propose what you'd consider a more appropriate title.

The title makes no mention that the "tries" were merely to get his IV started. It leaves it up to the imagination exactly what they were repeatedly doing to him as they exacted the death penalty. But you already knew that, and I will not waste my time repeating the obvious.

I'm still wondering, though, why you want to defend such a sensationalist and misleading title?

nevadamedic
05-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Pfft.. If 2 hours is cruel, may as well leave him there wondering indefinitely. Other than the fact that it costs more than he's worth to keep him alive..

One bullet. Bullets are cheap, and they solve a whole host of problems REAL quick.

The guy killed another inmate, I wouldn't worry about it unlss he raped and murdered a woman or a little

Birdzeye
05-26-2007, 12:25 PM
The title makes no mention that the "tries" were merely to get his IV started. It leaves it up to the imagination exactly what they were repeatedly doing to him as they exacted the death penalty. But you already knew that, and I will not waste my time repeating the obvious.

I'm still wondering, though, why you want to defend such a sensationalist and misleading title?

Wrong. The title says, and I quote, "Ohio lethal injection takes 2 hours, 10 tries." If you look at the link provided, you'll see that I'm right. The story goes on to say that that is exactly what happened.

So, rather than throw snide remarks my way, if you find that factually correct title objectionable, what would you consider more appropriate wording, as I asked you before?

Mr. P
05-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Wrong. The title says, and I quote, "Ohio lethal injection takes 2 hours, 10 tries." If you look at the link provided, you'll see that I'm right. The story goes on to say that that is exactly what happened.

So, rather than throw snide remarks my way, if you find that factually correct title objectionable, what would you consider more appropriate wording, as I asked you before?

"Medical personnel made 10 attempts before finding the obese condemned mans vein"

Way more accurate.

5stringJeff
05-26-2007, 02:36 PM
"Medical personnel made 10 attempts before finding the obese condemned mans vein"

Way more accurate.

Indeed. Hell, I had nurses take three stabs at finding a vein when I gave blood one time. That sucked, but it's not like I was writhing in pain.

nevadamedic
05-26-2007, 02:59 PM

I agree

nevadamedic
05-26-2007, 03:04 PM
If they'd go back to hanging, there wouldn't be a question. The condemned would either have his neck snapped or choke to death. I am ambivilous to their suffering either way.

Yea but thats considered cruel and unusual now days.

DragonStryk72
05-27-2007, 05:27 AM
Alright, I am pro-death penalty, to start things off. Personally, I see it as more humane than triple life sentences with no chance of parole, and if it were me being given the choice, I would choose the death penalty. That's what this man chose, to die for his crimes, though yes, it must have sucked having to sit there for two hours watching them try and get it right.

See, that's the thing though, is that it seems as though, in this country, we have started seeing death as being the worst possible outcome, but the fact is, we are all going to die anyhow, regardless of how well we live, so why is this such a huge deal now. To me, sitting in prison the rest of my life, with only the vague memories of having be free at one time would be the worst punishment.

waterrescuedude2000
06-11-2007, 05:29 AM
So the lethal injection is considered "cruel and unusual punishment". I'd like to know how they figure its cruel. What about these peoples victims the ones they killed and how they did it shouldn't that be considered cruel. Not an injection. I actually say we need to bring back hanging people forget paying for the drugs to execute these monsters. Just use a rope much cheaper in the long run.

glockmail
06-11-2007, 10:34 AM
So the lethal injection is considered "cruel and unusual punishment". I'd like to know how they figure its cruel. What about these peoples victims the ones they killed and how they did it shouldn't that be considered cruel. Not an injection. I actually say we need to bring back hanging people forget paying for the drugs to execute these monsters. Just use a rope much cheaper in the long run. I agree but two questions: What did you do with the waterrescuedude 1999? Who needs to be rescued from drowning in the desert?:poke:

nevadamedic
06-11-2007, 11:36 AM

Getting stuck is nothing. When I was in my EMT II class during the IV part we had to practice on eachother, and when its a very small class you get stuck alot. It's far from cruel.

manu1959
06-11-2007, 02:31 PM
"He was put to death for beating and choking cell mate Jason Brewer, 27, in 2001 after they argued during a chess game. He had slammed Brewer's head onto the floor, stomped his throat and cut a piece from his orange prison suit to strangle him."

pity it didn't take longer than 2 hours

nevadamedic
06-11-2007, 04:09 PM
"He was put to death for beating and choking cell mate Jason Brewer, 27, in 2001 after they argued during a chess game. He had slammed Brewer's head onto the floor, stomped his throat and cut a piece from his orange prison suit to strangle him."

pity it didn't take longer than 2 hours

That would have made an even worse case for anti death penalty.