PDA

View Full Version : Many signs point to Fred Thompson '08 run

nevadamedic
05-25-2007, 02:50 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- There was a time when Fred Thompson suggested that he couldn't see himself running for office again.

"For me, the George Washington example of serving eight years and riding out of town on a horse and never returning has great appeal," the Tennessee Republican said in 2002, the twilight of his eight-year Senate career.

Now, five years later, he is a well-known TV actor who finds himself on the verge of a real-life presidential bid, seemingly recruited by activists hungry for someone to fill what they see as a conservative void among the top-tier GOP hopefuls. (Watch why some Republicans want Thompson to run )

Numerous signs point to a Thompson candidacy, and a summertime announcement is widely expected, although people close to him caution that he has not made a final decision about running.

Never mind that he basically already is.

Thompson is hiring staff, speaking to conservative groups, writing online columns on topics of the day and staking out positions on issues like the Senate immigration overhaul. He also is testing his pitch on the Internet.

"It's important to the future of this country that (Republicans) have somebody that can win in November," Thompson said in a recent online interview. "People are looking for somebody who can talk straight to them. That's what I hope I bring to bear."

Thompson could shake up wide-open race
His expected entrance into the already crowded GOP field could dramatically shake up the wide-open race but it's unclear who among the strongest contenders, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Mitt Romney, would be affected the most.

Not yet a full-fledged candidate, Thompson has found himself competitive with them in national popularity polls. That's likely due in part to his acting role as district attorney Arthur Branch on NBC's popular drama "Law & Order."

Conservatives who make up a big part of the GOP base have found fault with Giuliani, McCain and Romney for varying reasons and for months now have been searching for a candidate to embrace.

Thompson's backers bill him as the perfect person -- the one truly conservative candidate in the mold of Ronald Reagan who can beat the Democratic nominee in November 2008. Rep. Zach Wamp of Tennessee called Thompson "naturally conservative with a down-home sense of humor and a confidence about who he is."

In the Senate, Thompson was considered a reliably conservative vote. The American Conservative Union gave him a lifetime rating of 86 out of 100. He fiercely backed the Iraq war, worked to limit the federal government's role, supported banning a late-term abortion procedure, and voted for President Bush's tax cuts.

But he sometimes took paths that didn't necessarily sit well with conservatives, including advocating for campaign finance reform. He also was one of four senators who backed underdog McCain in 2000 over George W. Bush, the establishment candidate. Social issues, important to the party's right-flank, also typically weren't at the top of his agenda.

Yet, some may be willing to look past those issues.

"There are plenty of people standing on the sidelines waiting for Thompson to get in the race, and if he doesn't, they're going to stay on the sidelines," said Greg Carson, the GOP chairman in New Hampshire's Rockingham County.

Added Robin Malmberg, his counterpart in Henry County, Iowa: "Personally, I'm still waiting for the one that just tells it like it is. So my curiosity is piqued with Thompson."

The Thompson presidential talk started early this year with a Tennessee-based draft effort. His initial flirtation with the idea quickly became a calculated march. First, he announced he is in remission from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, a form of cancer. Then, he met with lawmakers on Capitol Hill and gave speeches to conservative organizations. Now, he's building a campaign organization, tapping former Reagan and Bush aides for senior posts.

Late to the game by months, Thompson faces several challenges, not the least of which would be turning strong buzz on the Internet and some support in Washington into actual votes in GOP primary contests.

"Fred has the most spontaneous support than anyone in the last 40 years," said an undeterred Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tennessee.

Perhaps.

But he still lags the declared candidates in fundraising by multimillions and he also will have to counter the perception, in Washington at least, that he doesn't have the passion to run for president. His backers dispute that notion and say money won't be a problem given Thompson's Hollywood ties and Tennessee network.

Then there are Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and other early primary voting states, where Thompson's rivals have spent months building campaign organizations and courting grass-roots supporters.

Given that disparity, Thompson has indicated that he would not run a traditional campaign. Already, much of his recent activity has been on the Internet, an indication of the direction he may be headed.

Last week, he went online to put the smack down on lefty Michael Moore after the two sparred over the producer's movie "Sicko," which depicts September 11 survivors seeking medical care in Cuba.

In an online video, Thompson puffed on a cigar as he sat in a leather desk chair and reminded Moore that the Cuban government once put a documentary filmmaker in a mental institution.

"Mental institution, Michael. Might be something you ought to think about," Thompson says -- in what could be called the first ad of his would-be campaign.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/23/thompson.ap/index.html

nevadamedic
05-25-2007, 02:55 PM
ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- There are two things Fred Thompson can't escape these days: his role on "Law and Order" and questions over whether he'll run for president. So he got them both out of the way in the opening moments of his address to the Connecticut Republican Party's Prescott Bush Dinner Thursday evening.

"All right, let's get the announcement out of the way," he told the crowd in Stamford. "'Law and Order' will return for an 18th season."

A woman in the back yelled, "But we need you in a different job!" Thompson smiled and said, "Can you speak a little louder?"

In his speech, Thompson criticized Democrats as he discussed terrorism, Iraq and national security. "Our choice is not whether or not we're going to fight. Our choice is where we're going to fight," Thompson said. "And the only debate going on right now with regard to this most important issue facing our country on the Democratic side of the aisle is the date of our surrender."

He added, "My friends, I don't think that the American people are going to turn the keys of this country over to a party that invests their political capital in defeat."

But Thompson also stressed his own party returning to their key issues and warned his fellow Republicans to "get nervous if they go the wrong way."

"Someone once said that a cat won't sit on a hot stove twice, but he won't sit on a cold stove ever," Thompson said. "Here we had an election that was traumatic for some people, and the media blamed it on Iraq. I think it had more to do with pork barrel spending and corruption than it did Iraq."

http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/politicalticker/2007/05/different-job-for-fred-thompson.html

Abbey Marie
05-25-2007, 04:15 PM
I voted yes, because I'm sure I would choose Thompson over anyone the Dems would nominate.

What I don't know yet, though, is if I would vote for him in the primary.

Doniston
05-25-2007, 04:37 PM
I voted yes, because I'm sure I would choose Thompson over anyone the Dems would nominate.

What I don't know yet, though, is if I would vote for him in the primary. Your reason is as bad as the reason a Democrat would vote for Any Democrat over any republican that would run.. That kind of partisanship is what gets us into the problems we presently have.

stephanie
05-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Your reason is as bad as the reason a Democrat would vote for Any Democrat over any republican that would run.. That kind of partisanship is what gets us into the problems we presently have.

That's just how it is....

there is NO WAY, I'd ever vote for a Democrat...

:cheers2:

glockmail
05-25-2007, 04:48 PM
I vote yes because he is the most conservative, based on what I have seen, and he can defeat any Democrat.

glockmail
05-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Your reason is as bad as the reason a Democrat would vote for Any Democrat over any republican that would run.. That kind of partisanship is what gets us into the problems we presently have. Not really. If we un-elect all Democrats, the country would be a great place once again.

:D

Yurt
05-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Yes.

His issues and platform (though not national yet) are good. He is a great orator. Of all the republicans that slop MM has put down or challenged, Thompson was the only one to give an awesome reply in his vid response.

His political career to this point has been fine. I think he America needs someone who can speak their mind as he does. He has great one liners and won't back down from some lefty comment. Sure, there is more to a leader than that, but it is what the republican party needs and what this country needs. Clinton won, not because he was the greatest leader ever, but because he could relate to people, he was their president. So far, the candidates on the republican don't do much for me. Romney at this point has my vote, but he just does not seem solid enough.

Unless someone can point out some inconsistencies or weakness about Fred, I would "consider" him.

Gaffer
05-25-2007, 06:31 PM
I may have to change my affiliation from independent to republican just so I can vote for Thompson in the primaries.

05-25-2007, 06:49 PM
you know this thread should be more specific. we have a general and primary votes. I cant answer this question because you never specific which election we are talking about.

05-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Your reason is as bad as the reason a Democrat would vote for Any Democrat over any republican that would run.. That kind of partisanship is what gets us into the problems we presently have.

you dont need to look at who wins the primaries to determine who you are going to vote for in the general election. The fact is the Democrats clearly have no strong leader among their candidates.

Gunny
05-25-2007, 08:06 PM

What I don't know yet, though, is if I would vote for him in the primary.

He is so head and shoulders above anyone the Republicans are offering now it isn't even close. Right now, as far as I'm concerned, no one running on either side is worthy and/or capable of being president. Thompson is.

Gaffer
05-25-2007, 08:13 PM
He is so head and shoulders above anyone the Republicans are offering now it isn't even close. Right now, as far as I'm concerned, no one running on either side is worthy and/or capable of being president. Thompson is.

I agree with you on that. I'll have to definately register republican now and vote in the primaries. I've neer done that before. Always been an independent.

Abbey Marie
05-25-2007, 08:53 PM

I'm glad you found your man. I am not ready to decide on a guy who isn't even running.

Abbey Marie
05-25-2007, 08:55 PM

Is that so? I've seen the Dem field leaders, and it ain't a pretty picture.

Which currently announced leading Republican are you planning to vote for over the eventual Dem candidate?

nevadamedic
05-25-2007, 08:58 PM

That didn't make any sense.

nevadamedic
05-25-2007, 09:00 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Steph is awesome!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

nevadamedic
05-25-2007, 09:02 PM
I may have to change my affiliation from independent to republican just so I can vote for Thompson in the primaries.

Yes you should!!!!!!!

nevadamedic
05-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Not really. If we un-elect all Democrats, the country would be a great place once again.

:D

:laugh2: Dont forget that he dogged Michael Moore!:laugh2:

nevadamedic
05-25-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm glad you found your man. I am not ready to decide on a guy who isn't even running.

Abby,

For up to date information goto www.fred08.com

nevadamedic
05-27-2007, 02:52 AM

Thats your opinion :laugh2:

Gunny
05-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Thats your opinion :laugh2:

And I'm sticking to it.:salute:

Kathianne
05-27-2007, 11:13 AM

I'm leaning that way myself, unless he enters I'll probably go with Guiliani, whom I really only agree with regarding the war. Yes, there are others for the war, but I do not trust McCain, at least with Guiliani, I know where he stands.

Doniston
05-27-2007, 01:26 PM
That didn't make any sense.Sorry. to restate. Any time a person votes for an outmoded concept such as "Republican", or "Democratic" or Conservative, or Liberal) the nation suffers because h are voting for reteric rather than actual issues. YHestated (or implied)that he would only vote for the party, not for the person, or his or her positions. and since then there have been several who have echoed his feelings (on both sides)

nevadamedic
05-27-2007, 01:29 PM

I like your style :cheers2:

Doniston
05-27-2007, 01:30 PM
you dont need to look at who wins the primaries to determine who you are going to vote for in the general election. The fact is the Democrats clearly have no strong leader among their candidates. It is still VERY early. at this point I see Bill R. as the best they have to offer and at this point I have yet to see an adequate Republican contender.

nevadamedic
05-27-2007, 01:30 PM
And I'm sticking to it.:salute:

Good man.

Doniston
05-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Is that so? I've seen the Dem field leaders, and it ain't a pretty picture.

Which currently announced leading Republican are you planning to vote for over the eventual Dem candidate? None. my Republican choice has not yet announced.

nevadamedic
05-27-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm leaning that way myself, unless he enters I'll probably go with Guiliani, whom I really only agree with regarding the war. Yes, there are others for the war, but I do not trust McCain, at least with Guiliani, I know where he stands.

I like Guiliani a lot too..........

glockmail
05-28-2007, 07:54 PM
:laugh2: Dont forget that he dogged Michael Moore!:laugh2: He pwned Fat Mike, with that fat cigar! :laugh2: