PDA

View Full Version : Lt. Col treatment by police leads to investigation

LiberalNation
09-23-2012, 01:35 AM
cops

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...yssey=nav|head
journal.com

The man’s clothes were dusty, and he had difficulty speaking. Questioned by a Louisville Metro Police officer inside Mid-City Mall, he couldn’t provide his own address.
Judging the man to be a homeless panhandler, the police officer asked him to leave, and a confrontation ensued — a Taser was drawn, other officers were called and the man was taken down and handcuffed for several minutes.
But the man cuffed and threatened with jail in the Jan. 29 incident was neither homeless nor panhandling. He was a Purple Heart and multiple Bronze Star recipient and a Kentucky National Guard lieutenant colonel going on a routine errand.
Lt. Col. Donald Blake Settle has a poor memory and difficulty speaking as the result of injuries, including a traumatic brain injury, incurred in a suicide bombing in Afghanistan and a vehicle rollover. And on this day, he had stopped to chat with an acquaintance while shopping for a gift card.
His case has resulted in an internal police investigation, sharp questioning from Fort Knox officials, and a potential lawsuit. But it also has prompted a new mandatory training program for police on how to deal with military veterans coming home with traumatic brain injuries and post-traumatic stress disorder.
“I wish it had never happened,” said Louisville Metro Police Lt. Col. Vince Robison, who met with Settle and Fort Knox officials in July while helping to prepare the training for next year. “I wanted to see that we tried to do the right thing and become better. Whether we were right or wrong, we can always become better.”
In an interview, Settle said the story is less about what happened to him that day and more about the number of soldiers returning with brain injuries and understanding the challenges they face.
“I don’t want what happened to me to happen to somebody else, regardless of whether they are in the military or a regular civilian,” he said, speaking sometimes in a halting voice, searching for the right words.
“Unfortunately this is real familiar,” Eddie Reynolds, outreach director of the Brain Injury Association of Kentucky, said of Settle’s experience. There are more than 250,000 Kentuckians with brain injuries and they are seven times as likely as the average person to have a run-in with the law, he said.

LiberalNation
09-23-2012, 02:22 PM
kinda like rambo without the killing lol.

Police are gona get sued, think how they treat real homeless people who don't have lawyers and connections.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-23-2012, 05:15 PM
If , that is IF Settles story given is true the police officers should -ALL- be fired! However hearing only one side of an incident does not give enough information to make a fair judgement. Having said that I can honestly say I've had a few similiar type encounters with police officers as a much younger man. In those incidents I had done absolutely nothing wrong , nothing illegal but was treated as bad as was Settles and twice even worse. None, I repeat none of my incidents resulted in my being arrested or being charged in anyway. With my experiences from the past I see the same pattern made by the officers in Settles incident and mine from decades ago. It usually the one officer that decides to be an ass and he then is covered by the other officers. My nephew was a police officer before changing occupations. He and I talked about my past experiences and he validated having seen quite similiar incidents take place. I asked him what he did about it and was told he did nothing because they were senior officers!
This shocked me because he is a honest , straight up guy and I had expected better from him. His reply was , why put my job in jeopardy for a person I do not even know? I replied because they were abusing another human being not an animal and you admitted they had no just cause other than getting pissed when they shouldnt have! He later admitted that I was right and even stated the behaviour of other officers had been a major reason he changed occupations! So it does happen and way way too often. And sometimes it escalates into great injury or even death for the victim. Cops , my friends , are getting worse not better! Fact not fiction..Someday I may share a few of these type incidents that I have experienced myself. -Tyr

jimnyc
09-23-2012, 08:21 PM
LN, I have once again reduced the amount of the article you posted to fit within the rules, and copyright laws. I asked nicely the other day when you did this and I am asking you again, please, don't post entire articles. They belong to the writers and the websites you get them from. I can be sued for copyright, or have my advertising removed from the site as a result. Future instances might just have the threads deleted in their entirety, but I would rather you just meet me halfway and reduce what you copy down to 2-3 paragraphs and make everyone happy.

LiberalNation
09-23-2012, 08:23 PM
k

jimnyc
09-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks, LN!