PDA

View Full Version : Should Purple Hearts be Bought and Sold?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-24-2012, 07:08 PM
A big controversy about the buying and selling of Purple Hearts.
Is it wrong to buy them?? Thats the question..-Tyr

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/18/13931135-medal-peddlers-thriving-purple-heart-market-has-fans-and-foes?lite

Medal peddlers: Thriving Purple Heart market has fans and foes
Vintage Purple Hearts can fetch hundreds or thousands of dollars on the open market.
By Bill Briggs, NBC News contributor

The Second World War cost John Henckel his life. The Purple Heart medal he earned for his valiant death comes far cheaper. For $395, you can buy the award the Army granted posthumously to Henckel, an Army private from Texas, who was killed in action in the Philippines on Jan. 30, 1945. That’s the price quoted at BayStateMilitaria.com, a combat collectibles site that lists 12 Purple Hearts for sale, ranging from $90 for an unnamed, World War II medal “in nice condition” on up to Henckel’s ribbon.

“A lot of people don’t understand why people collect these. They think it’s a glorification of war. It’s the exact opposite: It’s the celebration of America’s good deeds,”.............
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe it is ok if it is offered for sale and a person is buying it to cherish, respect and keep it as a memory of sacrifice by America's heroes . I once saw two Purple Hearts for sale in a case with pocket knives , jewelry and other medallions at an antique store in Memphis. Can not remember the price on them but I was tempted to buy them but I was looking for books and that store had a large selection. I spent my money on books that day. I went back about a month later intending on buying both but they were not in the case. Somebody had bought them and I hope it was somebody that truly appreciated what they represent! I was quite pissed at myself for not buying both on the previous visit there.-Tyr

Kathianne
09-24-2012, 07:12 PM
A big controversy about the buying and selling of Purple Hearts.
Is it wrong to buy them?? Thats the question..-Tyr

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/18/13931135-medal-peddlers-thriving-purple-heart-market-has-fans-and-foes?lite

Medal peddlers: Thriving Purple Heart market has fans and foes
Vintage Purple Hearts can fetch hundreds or thousands of dollars on the open market.
By Bill Briggs, NBC News contributor

The Second World War cost John Henckel his life. The Purple Heart medal he earned for his valiant death comes far cheaper. For $395, you can buy the award the Army granted posthumously to Henckel, an Army private from Texas, who was killed in action in the Philippines on Jan. 30, 1945. That’s the price quoted at BayStateMilitaria.com, a combat collectibles site that lists 12 Purple Hearts for sale, ranging from $90 for an unnamed, World War II medal “in nice condition” on up to Henckel’s ribbon.

“A lot of people don’t understand why people collect these. They think it’s a glorification of war. It’s the exact opposite: It’s the celebration of America’s good deeds,”.............
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe it is ok if it is offered for sale and a person is buying it to cherish, respect and keep it as a memory of sacrifice by America's heroes . I once saw two Purple Hearts for sale in a case with pocket knives , jewelry and other medallions at an antique store in Memphis. Can not remember the price on them but I was tempted to buy them but I was looking for books and that store had a large selection. I spent my money on books that day. I went back about a month later intending on buying both but they were not in the case. Somebody had bought them and I hope it was somebody that truly appreciated what they represent! I was quite pissed at myself for not buying both on the previous visit there.-Tyr

See bolded. Are you advocating for this? My dad 'earned' a Purple Heart" at Normandy, not willingly. He was drafted. If up to him, never would have been there. He was by far in the majority.

Doesn't make them right in the sense of geopolitics, but does say where the average American was at a given point in time.

LiberalNation
09-24-2012, 07:39 PM
I wonder how much the new ones are worth.

gabosaurus
09-24-2012, 08:30 PM
My dad's best friend does not have a Purple Heart, but he has a Silver Star and a few other decorations from two tours of duty in Viet Nam. Since he has no children, my mom once asked him what will happen to his decorations when he passes on. He said that he wants to be buried with them.
I think it is a personal decision.

aboutime
09-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Not just anyone in the Military can BUY a Medal like the Purple Heart.
If they do. They must show actual, authorization, and documentation in order to purchase at an Authorized place in the miitary Exchange, or PX system.

The commanding officer, or officer in charge of those who are AWARDED a Purple Heart, are very diligent, and careful NOT to just hand that Award/Medal out like National Defense, and other Assorted medals like GOOD CONDUCT.

Anyone who wears a PURPLE HEART under false pretenses, or to intentionally deceive others. Get CAUGHT eventually.

And the biggest sign of a COWARD is someone who wears awards, or decorations of the Military....to impress themselves.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-24-2012, 08:53 PM
See bolded. Are you advocating for this? My dad 'earned' a Purple Heart" at Normandy, not willingly. He was drafted. If up to him, never would have been there. He was by far in the majority.

Doesn't make them right in the sense of geopolitics, but does say where the average American was at a given point in time.

I am advocating that when finding them already offered for sale in antique shops etc. were they were obviously bought in estate sales or from people that gave no value (no respect) to them to buy them and if a name is inscribed on the back attempt to locate that family for return. If no name inscribed to keep and give them a proper place to be shown and discussed in memory of all those that were wounded or killed in defense of this great nation. I am NOT ADVOCATING the seeking to buy to resale. Once in a shop I'll buy the next time I see one , if inscribed I'll do a computer search and try to locate the family of that person for return.. Otherwise I will keep it in my library in my medallion case beside my two gun cabinets on full display. So people can see and talk about the sacrifice of so many that we may live free! That was why I WENT BACK TO GET THOSE OVER TWO DECADES AGO.
I alsso saw one at the local flea market here about 8/9 years back , it was at a table with some other war stuff, I bought a nice bayonet that day but passed on the Purple Heart because it was in really bad condition.. I do remember that it was not engraved. -Tyr

gabosaurus
09-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Obviously tyr buys military medals because there is no way he could have ever won one on his own. There are always going to be slackers in life who advocate military action, yet lack the gumption and fortitude to step forth and do anything on their own.

logroller
09-24-2012, 11:56 PM
I wonder how much the new ones are worth.
Their worth is subjective-- could be worth a life. The cost of replacement is rather low, $33.95 from http://www.usamilitarymedals.com/purple-heart-medal-p-45.html?gclid=CJGt5P32z7ICFQfhQgodZRgA9A

But as was mentioned in a previous post, the value attached to the act which earned the medal is inherently subjective and therefor variable.

tailfins
09-25-2012, 05:56 AM
Not just anyone in the Military can BUY a Medal like the Purple Heart.
If they do. They must show actual, authorization, and documentation in order to purchase at an Authorized place in the miitary Exchange, or PX system.

The commanding officer, or officer in charge of those who are AWARDED a Purple Heart, are very diligent, and careful NOT to just hand that Award/Medal out like National Defense, and other Assorted medals like GOOD CONDUCT.

Anyone who wears a PURPLE HEART under false pretenses, or to intentionally deceive others. Get CAUGHT eventually.

And the biggest sign of a COWARD is someone who wears awards, or decorations of the Military....to impress themselves.

I have any easy solution. It could be required that a Purple Heart be in a container if possessed by someone not authorized to wear it. There's no reason to restrict antique collectors.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-25-2012, 08:27 AM
I have any easy solution. It could be required that a Purple Heart be in a container if possessed by someone not authorized to wear it. There's no reason to restrict antique collectors.

The Supreme Court struck down the Stolen Valor Act which had banned the buying and selling of Purple Hearts ( A MISTAKE IN MY OPINION). Now it is legal to buy and sell them so dealers will do just that. I see a plus in this in that now that they have a commercial worth its far more likely that they will not just be tossed in the trash by some uncaring fool after the owner dies. Lots of Purple Hearts are being thrown in the trash because kids, grandkids ,other relatives etc. place no value on them ! I hate that they are sold but thats better than them being trashed IMHO. Especially if the buyers have proper reverance for them and what they stand for. I hope more people take up the cause and buy those inscribed with the deceased name on the back to research and attempt to reunite with that slain soldier's family. I am going with , better saved, than just trashed...-Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Obviously tyr buys military medals because there is no way he could have ever won one on his own. There are always going to be slackers in life who advocate military action, yet lack the gumption and fortitude to step forth and do anything on their own.

As usual your ignorance is showing. I've never bought a Purple Heart, previous posts revealed that fact. Commenting without even reading my posts on the subject . How clever, now you attempt to speak about military action yet your knowledge of it is virtually nill. I've made it known here that I've never been in the military but I have spent over 45 years studying about military as its a passion of mine, great generals, battles and wars fought throughout history. The first thing that got me collecting books at age 13 was my interest inhistory and warfare... My first book that I collected was Harold Lamb's --Alexander the Great.
Are you just naturally this dense or do you put great effort into it?--Tyr

PostmodernProphet
09-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Purple Hears aren't bought and sold......a tiny bit of metal and silk ribbon are......

tailfins
09-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Purple Hears aren't bought and sold......a tiny bit of metal and silk ribbon are......

Would that include the Purple Heart of James Arness for example?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-25-2012, 08:09 PM

Matt Dillion got a Purple Heart , leg injury during the war, was why he walk with that kind of limp.
Later after the war he came back stateside and wandered out West met Kitty, Doc , Festus and Chester at the Longbranch saloon and became the Marshall there. The rest is western history!!;)

tailfins
09-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Matt Dillion got a Purple Heart , leg injury during the war, was why he walk with that kind of limp.
Later after the war he came back stateside and wandered out West met Kitty, Doc , Festus and Chester at the Longbranch saloon and became the Marshall there. The rest is western history!!;)

During World War II, Jim served his country at Anzio where he was wounded and was awarded the Purple Heart.

Source: Arness Fan Appreciation Page http://www.jamesarness.com/biogphy.htm

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Source: Arness Fan Appreciation Page http://www.jamesarness.com/biogphy.htm

Yes, I know. I was just attempting a bit of humor. Always like James Arness and the roles he played. My take is that he was a real solid guy!-Tyr

PostmodernProphet
09-26-2012, 01:25 PM

obviously......if I walked into a pawn shop and took hold of a Purple Heart or even a Congressional Medal of Honor, would I become a hero?.....

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-26-2012, 06:02 PM
obviously......if I walked into a pawn shop and took hold of a Purple Heart or even a Congressional Medal of Honor, would I become a hero?.....

Only ever one hero per Purple Heart or Congressional Medal of Honor and that is the man or woman it was first given to. The medal serves only as a reminding token of the heroic actions of the individual that receives it.
Myself , I believe overall that the Stolen Valor Act should not have been struck down. However, the restrictions on the buying and selling of war medals should not have been a part of it IMHO. -Tyr

aboutime
09-26-2012, 06:14 PM

Agreed tailfins. There is no objection, by anyone who might own one as a collector. This discussion about Purple Hearts, applies primarily to today's veterans, and members of active duty who might try to wear the award...without authorization.

The BIG PROBLEM for anyone who tries to wear the award, or claims falsely to have been awarded a PH is...a standard DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE Form known as a DD-214.

All veterans, past, and present members of our Military MUST present their DD-214, much like a Legal Military ID card in order to determine qualifications for ANY and ALL Awards, Medals, Badges, or Ribbons.
Members of the military KNOW....when they meet someone who CLAIMS to be the recipient of ANY medal, or award..IF THEY ARE really who they claim to be.
It's like a SIXTH sense...so to speak.
So. Anyone who claims to have been awarded a PURPLE HEART for injuries incurred during WARTIME, (who hasn't)...is either an idiot, or just plain stupid if they THINK they can fool anyone in Uniform.