PDA

View Full Version : How do you defend or criticize freedom of speech?

jimnyc
09-26-2012, 08:14 AM
My Muslim friends ALL think that our 1st amendment rights should be altered, so that while we may have the right to speak our minds, that "insulting" Islam, or other religions, should be outlawed. They simply don't understand our history, what our constitution means and how many people died to bring us those rights. I politely explained to them just how offensive I think the film is, how I am against it, but that in our country, one has the right to their freedom of expression, with responsibility of course, and so long as you aren't breaking laws. I'm sad to report, that I think I have lost some friends. They disagree with me and think those speaking words are MORE guilty than those murdering. They outright told me that this is the consequences of freedom of speech and these animals rioting and killing are appropriate in their actions.

Then we have the anti-jihad ads in the NY subway system. Read that again - anti-jihad. I know this can have several meanings, but like myself, these ads are condemning people who are turning violent and killing one another. Well here's an Egyptian American woman, apparently offended by the ad, thinking 100% for sure that she has the right to vandalize these ads with spray paint. She gets obnoxious with a woman trying to stand in her way and spray paints her too. Finally the police arrive and she is completely oblivious as to why she is being arrested. Amazing, some of these people go nuts and commit crimes because they feel insulted, but when they hurt, beat, maim, kill or simply vandalize, they honestly can't understand why their "retaliatory" actions are wrong.

<iframe src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=4af65d580a3c" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

jimnyc
09-26-2012, 08:19 AM
And more from the religion of peace. One wants to create international law created to make blasphemy illegal. Another one wants bombs to hit NYC. And BRAVO to Tony Avello for walking with the Muslims, then walking off the stage when he heard this garbage AND then even remaining respectful of the Muslims when interviewed. Take a lesson, Muslims, you don't need laws to protect your honor, you simply need to be a good person, turn the other cheek and have honor in your heart. Laws to protect your beloved Prophet and bombing our cities will not protect your honor, or lack thereof.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=71921d905090" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gaffer
09-26-2012, 08:47 AM
I don't care how nice a muslim is, you can never fully trust them. Friendship, honor and understanding all go out the window when their religion is mocked or even questioned.

Obviously your muslim "friends" weren't true friends.

tailfins
09-26-2012, 09:29 AM
And more from the religion of peace. One wants to create international law created to make blasphemy illegal. Another one wants bombs to hit NYC. And BRAVO to Tony Avello for walking with the Muslims, then walking off the stage when he heard this garbage AND then even remaining respectful of the Muslims when interviewed. Take a lesson, Muslims, you don't need laws to protect your honor, you simply need to be a good person, turn the other cheek and have honor in your heart. Laws to protect your beloved Prophet and bombing our cities will not protect your honor, or lack thereof.

It's blasphemy to consider anything other than the 1611 Authorized King James Bible as the word of God: Just ask Jack Chick. Or you can refer to this link for a more in depth study.

http://wayoflife.org/

While I consider what they say as plausible, I'm not hard core. However, most of my life I have heard there is no difference between Islam, Buddhism, Catholicism, Mormonism, Atheism, Hunduism. They all serve the same god: Lucifer.

When people say things on this forum about Islam, my perception applies those thoughts to anything that's not Fundamental Baptist. One way Fundamental Baptists often have problem after problem is that they have not learned how to be "in the world" (not "of the world").

Jerry Falwell referred to 9/11 as God's Judgement and blames the ACLU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkBgA9_oQ4

logroller
09-26-2012, 10:40 AM
I would have explained how criticizing one's speech is a defense of the freedom of speech. I think people just can't deal with the irony. I too lost some friend, only it was over the prop 8 fiasco in California; I tried to explain how making laws which have religious implications are an affront to the freedom of religion. People applaud freedom when it promotes their personal interests; but n'er more than shrug when it's disagreed with.

fj1200
09-26-2012, 10:55 AM
My Muslim friends ALL think that our 1st amendment rights should be altered, so that while we may have the right to speak our minds, that "insulting" Islam, or other religions, should be outlawed.

And by what right do they feel that they can control the actions of others?

jimnyc
09-26-2012, 11:00 AM
And by what right do they feel that they can control the actions of others?

Simply put, they feel the Prophet Muhammed and their religion trumps freedom of speech, and that's EXACTLY how it was said to me. I thought they were my friends, but they got very angry with me when I explained American History to them and how they shouldn't allow stupid insults to bother them and they should embrace freedom and all that comes with it, respect the Constitution of the country they live in and embrace that too. They simply disagree.

gabosaurus
09-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Dictatorships everywhere do not believe in freedom of speech.
My great aunt told me that in Nazi Germany, everyone had freedom of speech. You were always free to say how great Hitler was. Otherwise, you had the freedom to never speak again.

Our freedom of speech can not be compared to other societies who live by different rules. There is no freedom of speech in Saudi Arabia, China or many African countries. There is no freedom of speech in Mexico. Even though the government insists otherwise.

It is not our place to criticize other countries who do not hold the same rules of society as we do.

fj1200
09-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Simply put, they feel the Prophet Muhammed and their religion trumps freedom of speech, and that's EXACTLY how it was said to me.

There's no give in that statement is there? They must not understand at all a secular government bound by "Congress shall make no law..." and all that.

logroller
09-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Simply put, they feel the Prophet Muhammed and their religion trumps freedom of speech, and that's EXACTLY how it was said to me. I thought they were my friends, but they got very angry with me when I explained American History to them and how they shouldn't allow stupid insults to bother them and they should embrace freedom and all that comes with it, respect the Constitution of the country they live in and embrace that too. They simply disagree.
Perhaps you should inform them they can use mass transit for its intended purpose, rather than a tool of destruction, and they can go elsewhere. As a friend you should help them move, just to show there's no hard feelings.

logroller
09-26-2012, 11:57 AM
There's no give in that statement is there? They must not understand at all a secular government bound by "Congress shall make no law..." and all that.
They understand all right; they just don't agree. I had a similar conversation with a Saudi national in a class group where we discussed the policy intent of 9/11 victim restitution. He just couldn't agree with blood money being allocated based on lost wages. Totally different culture, and no, I don't think there's much wiggle room on that. I got the guy to understand the rationale, but in his heart, he simply couldn't embrace the ideal.

tailfins
09-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Dictatorships everywhere do not believe in freedom of speech.
My great aunt told me that in Nazi Germany, everyone had freedom of speech. You were always free to say how great Hitler was. Otherwise, you had the freedom to never speak again.

Our freedom of speech can not be compared to other societies who live by different rules. There is no freedom of speech in Saudi Arabia, China or many African countries. There is no freedom of speech in Mexico. Even though the government insists otherwise.

It is not our place to criticize other countries who do not hold the same rules of society as we do.

You had me until "not our place". IN THE RIGHT VENUE, comparing our society to others is a discussion worth having. Does the pursuit of multiculturalism/diversity mean the US should rethink its commitment to freedom of speech?