PDA

View Full Version : Why is this considered a problem?

tailfins
09-26-2012, 02:40 PM
The digital workplace is GREAT!! No one distracts you from producing deliverables.

http://smallbusiness.foxbusiness.com/legal-hr/2012/09/25/underestimated-value-personal-interaction-in-digital-workplace/?intcmp=featuredmedia

The Toon Town game my son plays gives you a great rundown on the personalities you "miss out on" by not going to a physical workplace.

Flunky Bottom Feeder Short Change Cold Caller
Pencil Pusher Bloodsucker Penny Pincher Telemarketer
Yesman Double Talker Tightwad Name Dropper
Micromanager Ambulance Chaser Bean Counter Glad Hander
Downsizer Backstabber Number Cruncher Mover & Shaker
Head Hunter Spin Doctor Money Bags Two-Face
Corporate Raider Legal Eagle Loan Shark The Mingler
The Big Cheese Big Wig Robber Baron Mr. Hollywood
Chief Executive Officer Chief Justice Chief Financial Officer Vice President

When I do want a break, there's DP. Even Gabs is (barely) better than watching a spinning blue circle.

Thunderknuckles
09-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I agree with the article. Face time is very important even if you have to tolerate a few quirky folks.

gabosaurus
09-26-2012, 03:54 PM
I agree with the article. Face time is very important even if you have to tolerate a few quirky folks.

Face to face contact has been the primary way of doing business since the dawn of man. I see no reason to change it just because a few malcontents are unable to get along with others.

tailfins
09-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Face to face contact has been the primary way of doing business since the dawn of man. I see no reason to change it just because a few malcontents are unable to get along with others.

All constant schmoozing accomplishes is a dumbed-down workplace. The ones who gossip around the water cooler are generally the same ones who cannot follow simple instructions. Few things are worse than trying to make sure a piece of middleware handles all possible combinations with someone yacking about whose daughter is the better soccer player. Distractions = bugs.