PDA

View Full Version : Sikh woman defends facial hair with graceful response about religion after being mock

WiccanLiberal
09-26-2012, 09:02 PM
"A Sikh woman’s eloquent response to a tasteless Reddit post targeting her facial hair has sparked virtual applause online.
A photo unknowingly taken of Ohio State University student Balpreet Kaur, who has sideburns and a beard, was posted on the website’s “funny” thread, prompting a string of cruel comments. When the neuroscience student saw them, she added a message of her own.
“Yes, I’m a baptized Sikh woman with facial hair,” Kaur wrote. “Yes, I realize that my gender is often confused and I look different than most women. However, baptized Sikhs believe in the sacredness of this body — it is a gift that has been given to us by the Divine Being (which is genderless, actually) and, must keep it intact as a submission to the divine will.”
Kaur continued to school callous commenters on her religion, explaining that she wasn’t upset or offended — if anyone wanted a photo, “they could have just asked and I could have smiled.”"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/sikh-woman-defends-facial-hair-graceful-response-religion-mocked-reddit-article-1.1168486#ixzz27dDCi2xp

I loved this article. This young woman is a really beautiful person. Please read it and I hope it makes you feel as good as it did me. She turned what started as a very negative circumstance into something lovely.

gabosaurus
09-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Of course, if this has been about a Muslim woman, there would already be numerous negative remarks posted. :rolleyes:

glockmail
09-26-2012, 11:29 PM
She should shave.

LiberalNation
09-26-2012, 11:42 PM
I wonder what's wrong with her that has her growing a beard. Hormone problem.

taft2012
09-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Whatever sense of contentment and peace sikhism is supposed to instill in its followers, this girl has gotten a double dose. Good for her, I wish I had that.

She has a remarkably good attitude.

Sadly, you cant spell "good attitude" without "g-o-a-t-e-e"

darin
09-27-2012, 07:14 AM
she has a beautiful soul.

Nukeman
09-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Of course, if this has been about a Muslim woman, there would already be numerous negative remarks posted. :rolleyes:Actually Gabs, if this had been about a Muslim woman we would NEVER know due to her haveing to have her face covered at all times:rolleyes:. Or if it was seen and made fun of than someone would probably lose their life or something woudl be blown up.. You know by those "extremist":coffee:

Voted4Reagan
09-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Of course, if this has been about a Muslim woman, there would already be numerous negative remarks posted. :rolleyes:

Troll much?

Abbey Marie
09-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Not sure how shaving is any different from her wearing glasses. Perhaps we could say that she is meant to see with the eyesight God/nature gave her. Where does the succumbing to nature's whims stop?

Either way, can we assume a Brazilian is out of the question? ;)

Kathianne
09-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Not sure how shaving is any different from her wearing glasses. Perhaps we could say that she is meant to see with the eyesight God/nature gave her. Where does the succumbing to nature's whims stop?

Either way, can we assume a Brazilian is out of the question? ;)

She stated that medicine if fine, I'm assuming prescription glasses would fall under that.