PDA

View Full Version : Don't ya just hate fleas?

WiccanLiberal
09-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Dang bugs! My animals have never had a flea problem until now. Guess some of the neighbors aren't careful about their dogs and those fleas get on Emma and Emma brings them home to the cats and so on.So today I am top spotting the cats, bathing and top spotting the dog and flea dipping the kitten who is too little to use any of the standard top spot meds. AJ is not too little to protest the cavalier treatment however. He apparently has the usual feline disdain for water as applied to the fur. Then I have to wash all their bedding. Dang little vampire bugs... grumble cuss snarl mutter......

glockmail
09-29-2012, 02:17 PM
That stuff that you put on the back of their necks monthly works great for my cat and dog.

WiccanLiberal
09-29-2012, 02:39 PM
That's what I am doing - Frontline for all but the littlest one. Him I use a botanically based flea shampoo and a fine tooth flea comb.

glockmail
09-29-2012, 03:03 PM
The stuff is amazing. When I first adopted her after a hike in the woods my 21# terrier mix would get 7 or 8 ticks. Now I just use that stuff 6 or 7 times/ year and never any ticks. Never seen a flea on her either.

WiccanLiberal
09-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Well hopefully I have finally gotten the little bloodsuckers gone. Everyone seems to be scratching less and relaxing more.

Anton Chigurh
09-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Eradicate then naturally and without Vietnam-era nerve gas toxin (frontline and all other such are that)

Use this:

Concern Diatomaceous Earth Crawling-Insect Killer (http://amazon.com/Concern-97064-Diatomaceous-Crawling-Insect/dp/B00030CC1M)

logroller
09-30-2012, 07:11 AM
^ heck yes on the organic stuff. My dog's groomer turned me onto that stuff (or something similar)-- it's cheaper too.

but fleas are nasty; just read about their life cycle...disgusting. My first house had three litters of feral kittens born on site (two under the house) in the first six months of my living there. Spay and neuter people; else it's euthanized... the dept of animal control doesn't even merit a phone call; I've no qualms when the health of my family is at stake;

SassyLady
09-30-2012, 06:10 PM
I live in the country and wild animals are always trekking across our property. So, even though we treat the yard (2 acres) with bug killer, I keep Frontline on my dogs.

Anton Chigurh
09-30-2012, 07:51 PM
I live in the country and wild animals are always trekking across our property. So, even though we treat the yard (2 acres) with bug killer, I keep Frontline on my dogs.The DE works in that situation as well... Kept on your pets, it continually breaks the mating cycle of the fleas, ticks and all other insects it touches.

"Frontline" and other such toxin is one of the main chemical causes blamed for the spread of colony collapse disorder among bees. It's NASTY stuff that doesn't readily degrade and really is bad for the ecology.

glockmail
09-30-2012, 09:10 PM
The DE works in that situation as well... Kept on your pets, it continually breaks the mating cycle of the fleas, ticks and all other insects it touches.

"Frontline" and other such toxin is one of the main chemical causes blamed for the spread of colony collapse disorder among bees. It's NASTY stuff that doesn't readily degrade and really is bad for the ecology.
I use Tilex to clean my shower too. I guess that makes me evil. :laugh:

Anton Chigurh
09-30-2012, 09:21 PM
I use Tilex to clean my shower too. I guess that makes me evil. :laugh:Umm, no.:thumb:

SassyLady
10-02-2012, 04:00 AM
The DE works in that situation as well... Kept on your pets, it continually breaks the mating cycle of the fleas, ticks and all other insects it touches.

What does it do to the dogs? My dogs are 8 and 10 and I've always used it on them. How does it get from the dog to the bees?

glockmail
10-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Sounds like one of those hyper-theories to me, like fracking causes groundwater pollution, or Yucca Mountain has faults that would let nuclear waste leak out...

Anton Chigurh
10-02-2012, 12:03 PM
What does it do to the dogs? My dogs are 8 and 10 and I've always used it on them. It can make them sick and kill them if they ingest it. It is toxic to mammals.
How does it get from the dog to the bees?http://tinyurl.com/beepoisons

glockmail
10-02-2012, 12:54 PM
It can make them sick and kill them if they ingest it. It is toxic to mammals.http://tinyurl.com/beepoisons

From your link:
...the causes of this widespread disappearance, known by the acronym SSC of 'colony collapse disorder', have not yet been clarified, many hypotheses have been suggested, such as the use of pesticides in agriculture, a parasitic mite called Varroa or even the decrease of blossoms in their habitat. ...

Anton Chigurh
10-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Glock: It's the vietnam nerve toxin dood. C'mon.... :laugh:

SassyLady
10-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Glock: It's the vietnam nerve toxin dood. C'mon.... :laugh:

Then why hasn't it caused any damage to my dogs?

SassyLady
10-03-2012, 12:11 AM
It can make them sick and kill them if they ingest it. It is toxic to mammals.http://tinyurl.com/beepoisons

Your link didn't explain how it gets from the dogs to the bees.

logroller
10-03-2012, 02:13 AM
Then why hasn't it caused any damage to my dogs?
Maybe it's mild, or nonacute. Or maybe it's nothing. But assuming theyre equally effective, if given the choice between a known toxin and a botanical alternative, which would you prefer?

SassyLady
10-03-2012, 03:21 AM
Maybe it's mild, or nonacute. Or maybe it's nothing. But assuming theyre equally effective, if given the choice between a known toxin and a botanical alternative, which would you prefer?

The one my vet recommends because he is the expert.

logroller
10-03-2012, 04:23 AM
The one my vet recommends because he is the expert.
The expert with allegiance to big pharma :tinfoil: -- I'm gonna sik revel arts on you.

Anton Chigurh
10-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Then why hasn't it caused any damage to my dogs?Because you have applied it properly and they haven't ingested any. This is why they instruct you to put it between their shoulders on their back - it's a spot they can't reach with a lick. It would "work" anywhere you put it though, since it functions by being absorbed slowly through the skin. The fleas and ticks bite them, get a tiny shot of this crap, and die.

Read the warnings on the label about if your pet ingests it.

On the other hand, DE if ingested actually kills internal parasites like worms as well. This is also why it is a ingredient in the more high-end pet foods. Yes, they put it in higher dollar pet foods, to kill internal parasites naturally. They don't put vietnam era nerve toxin in pet foods. What's that tell ya?

Anton Chigurh
10-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Your link didn't explain how it gets from the dogs to the bees.It's not hard for us to figure that out. Take let's say, 2 million dogs AND cats with this shit on their backs, and let's have maybe 1/4th of them go outside and roll around on the ground as they are wont to do when they are outside.

Anton Chigurh
10-03-2012, 11:55 AM
The one my vet recommends because he is the expert.If he's such a expert why doesn't he know about DE? Oh, because he can't make any money recommending it.

mundame
10-03-2012, 11:58 AM
We had two hives of bees go, quite suddenly, with Colony Disappearing Syndrome. We were all suited up, ready to harvest ----- and nobody home!

We'll try again another year; it'll be a virus, it always is. Whenever they start talking about how it's cell phones or pesticides (suddenly??) or magnetism -------------- it's a virus.

My personal favorite is how diseases are always about how people are neurotic: migraines, has to be women being neurotic; ulcers, has to be men stressed and neurotic.

They say this right before they figure out it's viruses. Well, the ulcers were actually a bacterium, easily cured with antibiotics.

Anton Chigurh
10-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Frontline killed my dog (http://dogster.com/forums/Dog_Health/thread/450306)

Pet lovers beware. I put Frontline on my Annie on Monday (not the first time), and today (Saturday) she is dead.

I've watched her suffer all week: lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, loss of coordination and jaundice. There is nothing a vet can do for this. Mine told me to give her a bath to make sure the poison was removed from her coat. He gave her a shot of B vitamins and gave me some liquid vitamins to administer, but it did not save her.

On Monday, Annie was a very happy, heathly, energetic 8-year-old dog with fleas. Today she's gone.

The other thing you should know is that when I gave her the bath to remove the poison. I found fleas on her. So, the stuff doesn't even work. My vet says that he is seeing resistance to Frontline and Advantage.

Don't risk putting this on your dog or cat! And, don't assume that because you've used it before that everything will be alright. This was not the first time that I had used Frontline. I suspect the stuff may build up in their system, and Annie finally had too much of it.Frontline killed dog (http://pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/bulletins.read?mnr=372295&pagen=1)

Meet Drago. He was a beautiful healthy 15 months old Violka Anrebri and Chero Bulsara Son.
Drago never had any health problems. My client applied Frontline for the first time on Tuesday March 9th and he was rushed to the Animal Hospital the next day. He was vomitting and lethargic. Needless to say he had to be euthanized last night. It attacked his red blood cells. He had several transfusions but he rejected them. Vet did confirm that it was most likely the Frontline.
I know that most dogs tolerate Frontline but this is the second dog that I know had a bad reaction.
Please keep the Vickery Family in your prayers.I mean, it's all well and good ain't it? Wonderful even - until somebody dies.

mundame
10-03-2012, 12:09 PM
One of the best applicants for fleas is the old Hartz Mountain flea powder; you can get it in the supermarket. Cheap, effective. It works. Does no harm, year in and year out; vets say to use their stuff, of course, because theirs costs 14 times as much.

Anyway, if you've got them on your pets, you've got fleas in the house, and I have one word for you ------

Victor Flea Traps. World's best solution (IMO), and 100% organic and non-pesticidal. And cheap. I get mine at Amazon, and the refills. AND they make a great nightlight. AND they catch anything else walking around the house at night: centipedes, silverfish, roaches, crickets, flies, etc.

All they are is a glue trap with a little nightlight in a fixture at the top of them. The light and heat attracts bugs, especially fleas. Once they get on, they do NOT get off. Great monitors, too --- that is, if you run a clean one in a vulnerable place where people sit, you can tell whether you've got fleas or not by just looking at it. I'm about ready to shut mine down --- flea season is summer months and we're about out of it now.

I sure wish I could find as good a trap for mosquitoes with all this West Nile around. I have bought two kinds and the expensive $79 electric one did NOTHING --- we checked, and it has only caught moths all summer, and I don't have anything against moths, seems mean. We took it down. If anyone has mosquito traps that actually work, tell us?

logroller
10-03-2012, 12:10 PM
.... They don't put vietnam era nerve toxin in pet foods. What's that tell ya?

Who's they? I'm guessing, not China. Remember back a few years there was some tainted pet food. My wife once picked through a spilled bag of dog food and found an abundance of hairs. Now hairs won't kill dogs, they lick themselves all the time, but I have to wonder, where did those hairs come from; vermin perhaps? Might it also contain assorted rat parts which, possibly were poisoned by bait and ended up in the mix. I'd rather not think about it, but needless to say, we changed brands.

Anton Chigurh
10-03-2012, 12:10 PM
One of the best applicants for fleas is the old Hartz Mountain flea powder; you can get it in the supermarket. Cheap, effective. It works. Does no harm, year in and year out; vets say to use their stuff, of course, because theirs costs 14 times as much.

Anyway, if you've got them on your pets, you've got fleas in the house, and I have one word for you ------

Victor Flea Traps. World's best solution (IMO), and 100% organic and non-pesticidal. And cheap. I get mine at Amazon, and the refills. AND they make a great nightlight. AND they catch anything else walking around the house at night: centipedes, silverfish, roaches, crickets, flies, etc.

All they are is a glue trap with a little nightlight in a fixture at the top of them. The light and heat attracts bugs, especially fleas. Once they get on, they do NOT get off. Great monitors, too --- that is, if you run a clean one in a vulnerable place where people sit, you can tell whether you've got fleas or not by just looking at it. I'm about ready to shut mine down --- flea season is summer months and we're about out of it now.

I sure wish I could find as good a trap for mosquitoes with all this West Nile around. I have bought two kinds and the expensive $79 electric one did NOTHING --- we checked, and it has only caught moths all summer, and I don't have anything against moths, seems mean. We took it down. If anyone has mosquito traps that actually work, tell us?Or, you can make it all go away permenently with DE, and also get the internal parasites while you're at it.

Anton Chigurh
10-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Who's they? I'm guessing, not China. Remember back a few years there was some tainted pet food. My wife once picked through a spilled bag of dog food and found an abundance of hairs. Now hairs won't kill dogs, they lick themselves all the time, but I have to wonder, where did those hairs come from; vermin perhaps? Might it also contain assorted rat parts which, possibly were poisoned by bait and ended up in the mix. I'd rather not think about it, but needless to say, we changed brands.I feed my cats, strictly and only, Blue Buffalo products.

Oh and, the vacuum-sealed Star Kist tuna packs, for a treat once a day. One of these little dollar twenty packets feeds all seven of them a nice treat - really cheap! (And you know exactly what you're giving them.)

Anton Chigurh
10-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I sure wish I could find as good a trap for mosquitoes with all this West Nile around. I have bought two kinds and the expensive $79 electric one did NOTHING --- we checked, and it has only caught moths all summer, and I don't have anything against moths, seems mean. We took it down. If anyone has mosquito traps that actually work, tell us?Absolutely the best repellant/killer I use for all flying bugs is d-limonene. It's concentrated citrus oil. Buy it in spray bottles at wal-mart, the "de-solv it" brand of "contractor's solvent." Spray this on surfaces outside, and flies, skeeters, wasps - anything that flies, stay away. Put it on your skin too.

It also is 100% non toxic to vertebrates, and works much the same way DE does - by dissolving the insects' exoskeleton wax covering on contact. It's exactly what they put in 7-up, Mtn Dew and sprite - to give those their "limon" taste and smell.

http://www.orange-sol.com/household/moreretailers.html

logroller
10-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Absolutely the best repellant/killer I use for all flying bugs is d-limonene. It's concentrated citrus oil. Buy it in spray bottles at wal-mart, the "de-solv it" brand of "contractor's solvent." Spray this on surfaces outside, and flies, skeeters, wasps - anything that flies, stay away. Put it on your skin too.

It also is 100% non toxic to vertebrates, and works much the same way DE does - by dissolving the insects' exoskeleton wax covering on contact. It's exactly what they put in 7-up, Mtn Dew and sprite - to give those their "limon" taste and smell.

Whatever you do, don't use whatever they flavor dr pepper with-- bugs love that stuff. I've known two people to be stung by wasps after they flew into the can-- right in the kisser. :eek:

Anton Chigurh
10-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Whatever you do, don't use whatever they flavor dr pepper with-- bugs love that stuff. I've known two people to be stung by wasps after they flew into the can-- right in the kisser. :eek:Ahh Dr. Pepper - one of our greatest Texan inventions. Love the stuff.

mundame
10-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Absolutely the best repellant/killer I use for all flying bugs is d-limonene. It's concentrated citrus oil. Buy it in spray bottles at wal-mart, the "de-solv it" brand of "contractor's solvent." Spray this on surfaces outside, and flies, skeeters, wasps - anything that flies, stay away. Put it on your skin too.

All worth trying; thanx!

red states rule
10-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Dang bugs! My animals have never had a flea problem until now. Guess some of the neighbors aren't careful about their dogs and those fleas get on Emma and Emma brings them home to the cats and so on.So today I am top spotting the cats, bathing and top spotting the dog and flea dipping the kitten who is too little to use any of the standard top spot meds. AJ is not too little to protest the cavalier treatment however. He apparently has the usual feline disdain for water as applied to the fur. Then I have to wash all their bedding. Dang little vampire bugs... grumble cuss snarl mutter......

A can offer yu a few tips to try and solve your problem

1) Put moth balls or flakes in your vacume cleaner bag. If you bring up and fleas or their eggs, they will die. However, moth balls and flakes are fatal to dogs and cats so be careful

2) Crush some garlic and add to the dog food. When the fleas go take a bite they will hate the garlic in the blood

3) Use DAWN dishwasher liquid to bathe your dogs. The felas die fast and the liquid will not harm your dogs skin

Anton Chigurh
10-04-2012, 06:50 PM
1) Put moth balls or flakes in your vacume cleaner bag. If you bring up and fleas or their eggs, they will die.The DE I mentioned accumulates in the carpet and the vacuum cleaner bag too, I forgot to add. It's also completely non toxic.