PDA

View Full Version : Get your 100W incandescent bulbs while you can

tailfins
10-06-2012, 09:23 AM
The manufacturing ban started this week. Walmart.com is still selling remaining stock.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-100W-Reveal-Incandescent-Light-Bulb-4-Pack/15040833

The only place I could find these bulbs was Walmart.com, and as it was I had to buy a case to get any, when I only needed 4 bulbs! Otherwise, a great value and as usual, the price was Walmart great!

There is an apparent loophole in the ban. "Rough service" bulbs are excluded. After the ban if you just can't stand CFLs, do a search on "Rough service 100W incandescent". Batteries Plus sells them, but there are other places too. They are actually more expensive than pig tail CFLs.

red states rule
10-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Last year a local business offered 100 watt bulbs by the case. For every case sold they donated $10 bucks to a local charity

They raised over $8000 for a great cause

and now I have a 100 watt bulb in every light socket in my house

lighthouse
10-06-2012, 11:11 AM
In relation, maybe of interest
Freedomlightbulb.org
"How bans on incandescent bulbs are wrongly justified"
14 points, referenced...

For example

"Energy saving" is not the only advantage different lighting can have,
there is little shortage of future low emission renewable electricity,
- and "Wasteful" lighting is very much a relative term

Yes, consumers can save a little on their most used bulbs
But society savings are negligible.
If a Society law is justifiable, it is on Society saving
- not on what bulb Johnny wants to use in his Bedroom,
which may have brightness, appearance, light quality reasons for his choice, apart from any savings!

"The total reduction in energy use would be 0.54 x 0.8 x 0.76% = 0.33%,
This figure is almost certainly an overestimate.
(for several reasons, as described)
Which begs the question: is it really worth it?
Politicians are forcing a change to a particular technology which is
fine for some applications but not universally liked, and which has
disadvantages.
The problem is that legislators are unable to tackle the big issues of
energy use effectively, so go for the soft target of a high profile
domestic use of energy...
...This is gesture politics."

Cambridge University Network using official data,
similarly US Dept of Energy Grid data, and other sources, as referenced.

red states rule
10-07-2012, 09:09 AM
http://www.drybonesproject.com/blog/D07225_1.gif

glockmail
10-07-2012, 12:41 PM
I've been on the CFL kick since the 90's, when they were straight long sticks that fit in very few fixtures. I lived in NY and electricity was 11 cents/ kwh. At home at 7 cents I got rid of all the 150W floods (both indoor and outdoor) and replaced them with CFL floods. That way if the wife or kids left them on all night I don't get pissed off. My kitchen counters are all LED. I've used CFLs in my bedroom (leave the light on between dusk and 11 to illuminate the upstairs hallway), my den (same time frame for ambient lighting downstairs) and in my basement office (leave on continuously to illuminate my desk and as a nightlight for the dog and cat).

The only place I use incandescent are lights rarely used, like in the attic.

mundame
10-08-2012, 06:19 PM
We did the arithmetic and ordered all the 100w bulbs we'll need for the duration, by the carton. They were much cheaper that way! We'll do the same with the other wattages if the totalitarian Stalinists try to ban more bulbs.

This control, control, control of everybody's private lives is so incredibly wrong.

red states rule
10-09-2012, 05:43 AM
We did the arithmetic and ordered all the 100w bulbs we'll need for the duration, by the carton. They were much cheaper that way! We'll do the same with the other wattages if the totalitarian Stalinists try to ban more bulbs.

This control, control, control of everybody's private lives is so incredibly wrong.

That is what government does best - control

KarlMarx
10-09-2012, 06:06 AM
That is what government does best - control
Once again, the Democrats help the Middle Class by increasing the cost of living through over regulation. With friends like the Democrats who needs enemies.

And the liberals are always talking about how the Religious Right is trying to force its views on everyone else. What do you call this!?!?!?!?!?!?

Let's give the Democrats four more years of control so we can have 10 dollar a gallon water, 10,000 dollar a gallon gasoline... and 100 percent unemployment.

Noir
10-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Is 100 Watts the standard wattage for an American house or something? I mean, all the bulbs in our house are max 60 watts, can see why it would be near double in the states 0,o

red states rule
10-09-2012, 06:28 AM
Is 100 Watts the standard wattage for an American house or something? I mean, all the bulbs in our house are max 60 watts, can see why it would be near double in the states 0,o

The point is Noir, why does the government think it has the power to tell us what wattage of light bulbs they will allow us to use?

red states rule
10-09-2012, 06:30 AM
Once again, the Democrats help the Middle Class by increasing the cost of living through over regulation. With friends like the Democrats who needs enemies.

And the liberals are always talking about how the Religious Right is trying to force its views on everyone else. What do you call this!?!?!?!?!?!?

Let's give the Democrats four more years of control so we can have 10 dollar a gallon water, 10,000 dollar a gallon gasoline... and 100 percent unemployment.

Much to my dismay, it was Pres Bush that OK'd the libs idea to ban the 100 watt bulb. However I bought a case and I have 100 watt bulbs in every light socket in my house

I refuse to be told by the government what damn type of bulb I can use in my lights. I paid for them, and I pay the light bill the day it comes

So screw em

Noir
10-09-2012, 06:33 AM
The point is Noir, why does the government think it has the power to tell us what wattage of light bulbs they will allow us to use?

Well if there is a ban coming into place, then the government doesn't 'think' it has the power, it *does* have the power.

In any case, while I don't think the gov. should be doing this, I can't see how it would impact greatly on anyone's life.

red states rule
10-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Well if there is a ban coming into place, then the government doesn't 'think' it has the power, it *does* have the power.

In any case, while I don't think the gov. should be doing this, I can't see how it would impact greatly on anyone's life.

NO it does not have the power Noir. I know do gooder liberals think they do - but the do not

I wonder what these do gooder libs will demand in home inspections to ensure the unwashed masses are complying with their edicts?

Noir
10-09-2012, 06:55 AM
NO it does not have the power Noir. I know do gooder liberals think they do - but the do not

I wonder what these do gooder libs will demand in home inspections to ensure the unwashed masses are complying with their edicts?

But the ban is coming into place.
As of now they do have that power, because they are doing it.

What you're saying is they shouldn't have that power (and presumably that the courts should step in)

red states rule
10-09-2012, 07:01 AM
But the ban is coming into place.
As of now they do have that power, because they are doing it.

What you're saying is they shouldn't have that power (and presumably that the courts should step in)

Using your logic, the government do anything they damn well please - simply by passing it. The government tells us how much water our toilets can use when they flush for God sakes

Again, screw em. I will use any damn bulb I please and to hell with the do gooder libs and tree huggers

Of course Obama gave a hint of things to happen

http://youtu.be/ETX1E__iVsE

PostmodernProphet
10-09-2012, 07:16 AM
I have 100 watt bulbs in every light socket in my house

that doesn't even make sense......most light fixtures are only rated for 60 watt bulbs......

red states rule
10-09-2012, 07:18 AM
that doesn't even make sense......most light fixtures are only rated for 60 watt bulbs......

I like my house to be well lighted. Besides, it my house, my light socket, and I pay the light bill

Noir
10-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Using your logic, the government do anything they damn well please - simply by passing it. The government tells us how much water our toilets can use when they flush for God sakes

Yes that is *exactly* my point.
If the government put something into law, and no one stops them, then they have that power.

Regardless of whether the law is a good one or a bad one.

PostmodernProphet
10-09-2012, 10:43 AM
I like my house to be well lighted. Besides, it my house, my light socket, and I pay the light bill

do you know why electricians put labels on lamps and light fixtures that say "60 Watt Maximum"?.......it isn't a political statement....its more in line with the warning on circular saws that say you shouldn't try using them to shave......

red states rule
10-09-2012, 10:46 AM
do you know why electricians put labels on lamps and light fixtures that say "60 Watt Maximum"?.......it isn't a political statement....its more in line with the warning on circular saws that say you shouldn't try using them to shave......

I have a Cape Cod house built in the 1940's and no such warning stickers are present on any of the lights I use

So what else do you have for me? I am destroying Mother Earth and killing children in other countries?

tailfins
10-09-2012, 11:25 AM

You can find 100W or even 150W light fixtures if you look for them.

glockmail
10-09-2012, 01:40 PM
100W used to be a common size, but that was when there was a single outlet in every room and maybe a ceiling mounted fixture. Back then light fixtures were porcelain. Electrical codes changed in the 60's and outlets are 10' on center around the room perimeter or less. The exception is utility spaces, like attics and garages. Most people have two or more lamps in a room so 60W is the more common size, and light fixtures are less expensive plastic, not heat resistant porcelain. Since 100 high-heat bulbs would destroy these fixtures and potentially cause a fire, they are labelled for 60W maximum.

red states rule
10-09-2012, 03:22 PM
100W used to be a common size, but that was when there was a single outlet in every room and maybe a ceiling mounted fixture. Back then light fixtures were porcelain. Electrical codes changed in the 60's and outlets are 10' on center around the room perimeter or less. The exception is utility spaces, like attics and garages. Most people have two or more lamps in a room so 60W is the more common size, and light fixtures are less expensive plastic, not heat resistant porcelain. Since 100 high-heat bulbs would destroy these fixtures and potentially cause a fire, they are labelled for 60W maximum.

and that is what I have in my house. I iike the rooms well lit and have a closet full of 100 watt bulbs

logroller
10-09-2012, 05:25 PM
You can find 100W or even 150W light fixtures if you look for them.

I have a porcelain medium base round fixture rated at 500W/ 1000V. I found the bulbs, which: for studio lighting. $5/ each.

There aren't many situations where 100W bulbs make financial sense to me personally, but I suppose they do exist. Do the math would be my advice; don't just install 100W bulbs because you want to.
But I don't see what the big deal is about 100W bulbs. My living room has 3x 40w and dining room 6x 25W. Do the math! The bath vanities have 8x40W, incandescent. I have flourescent lights primarily: kitchen, bath overhead, living room, hallways-- those that stay on the most. I would love to do LED countertop lights, but I'm kinda picky about installation on those. I did it on my mom's outdoor kitchen and it looks great; but I built the whole thing so it was already plumbed. My latest power saving change has been installing timers and occupancy sensors. I did the math and its return on investment was 10 times that of a 4kW array.

glockmail
10-09-2012, 05:30 PM
The big deal is asshole politicians dictating every aspect of our personal lives. The 1.5 gallon toilet was a lot worse than this, and didn't get nearly the play.