PDA

View Full Version : Additional Scheduled Downtime

jimnyc
10-06-2012, 12:15 PM
At 9:50pm EST this evening, I will be disabling the forums for a fairly hefty maintenance. I will be working to get us back online as soon as possible, but expect downtime anywhere from 30 minutes up to a few hours or more. I do apologize for this expected downtime, but this maintenance will be to prevent any further issues that we have been experiencing.

-Jim

jimnyc
10-06-2012, 06:53 PM
As a reminder, in exactly 2 hours from now, at 9:50pm EST, the server will be down for a while for scheduled maintenance. I wish I could be more specific as to an ETA, but I'm hoping sooner than later!!

jimnyc
10-07-2012, 02:02 AM
My apologies for the very extended downtime. It's 3am EST, all is cool, and will explain more when I get a few hours of sleep!

tailfins
10-07-2012, 06:30 AM
My apologies for the very extended downtime. It's 3am EST, all is cool, and will explain more when I get a few hours of sleep!

Your hard work is appreciated. It's not just anybody that would build a sandbox for complete strangers to play in.

jimnyc
10-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Ok, a little sleep does wonders!

Truth be told, the downtime last night was moving the entire site and database to a new server with a new hosting company. Call me crazy, but after the treatment received at the old place, I just wanted to ensure that nothing impeded the transfer, as it's a huge database and just as huge of a collection of files from over the years. Most of the delay was because I had to change my registrar, to tell it where to point the domain, to the IP address of the new server. This "propagation" can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours to an entire day. In this case it was somewhere around 3hrs, at least from my location.

All seems to be fine for me thus far. It's critical that any and all problems be reported to me to ensure we are back up to speed. While I expect much better performance and service where we are at now, when a move is made there can sometimes be a few hiccups that may need correction.

One member reported to me an error while posting, but I also see that he has made a few posts since the transfer, so I'm unsure if it was a temp glitch or if others may see it. Should anyone have an issue posting, try shooting me a PM with any issues, and please copy errors or take screenshots if necessary.

If lucky, there will barely be any issues, this thread will remain fairly empty, and we can continue forward with just better performance. Cross your fingers!!

jimnyc
10-07-2012, 07:04 AM
One member reported to me an error while posting, but I also see that he has made a few posts since the transfer, so I'm unsure if it was a temp glitch or if others may see it. Should anyone have an issue posting, try shooting me a PM with any issues, and please copy errors or take screenshots if necessary.

To keep everyone on the same page - this member was receiving a "403 forbidden" error when he had certain text converted into a hyperlink in the post. It allowed for a link to the article at the end of the post, but text made into a link within the quote tags was giving the error, or still is. This is being worked on and I will update when resolved.

jimnyc
10-07-2012, 07:05 AM
This is just a test (http://www.debatepolicy.com)

just another test

jimnyc
10-07-2012, 07:06 AM
and yet works for me, odd. Will continue working on it...

jimnyc
10-07-2012, 07:22 AM
To keep everyone on the same page - this member was receiving a "403 forbidden" error when he had certain text converted into a hyperlink in the post. It allowed for a link to the article at the end of the post, but text made into a link within the quote tags was giving the error, or still is. This is being worked on and I will update when resolved.

This issue has been corrected.

jimnyc
10-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Not sure if anyone noticed, or no one had tried since - but if you clicked on the "My Posts" and tried to view all of your posts.... Or opened someone's profile and then clicked on "Find Latest Posts" - it was coming back with a MYSQL error. The reason for this is that it's a SQL configuration for somewhat larger boards, which was corrected here a long time ago, but of course setting were default on our new server. This setting has been increased and the error no longer occurs. Just mentioning in case anyone received this error and had not reported it here.