PDA

View Full Version : This thing is in my neck!

jimnyc
10-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Generally speaking, when they replace a disc in your body, you will either get a cadaver bone, or believe it or not, a pig bone. With my first surgery, I opted for the cadaver bone. This time around, it all happened so fast that I never asked, but I do know that I didn't get the screws this time. When I questioned my surgeon about what he placed there in replacement of my disc, he said it was a device from "LDR" called a cage, or known as "ROI-C". Here is what is in my neck, with the butterfly looking things pushing into the above/below bones which he said would eventually grow into this device. Yeck!

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ep4hl3.jpg

logroller
10-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Does that thing have a USB port-- straight-up matrix Neo-- Thats what happens when you refuse the blue and red pill.

jimnyc
10-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Does that thing have a USB port-- straight-up matrix Neo-- Thats what happens when you refuse the blue and red pill.

That's what I thought when I saw the picture, but I thought it looked more like an SD card port! It's obviously approved by the FDA, but it's a device that doesn't have a very long history. I hope I'm not a guinea pig!

Mr. P
10-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I hope I'm not a guinea pig!

Nah, the folks in and around NYC are more like Lab Rats. Just sayin...;)

gabosaurus
10-08-2012, 11:22 PM
My friend Katie knows the feeling. She was born deaf, and cochlear implants were failing as she got older. So she got an experimental hearing implant that uses some microscopic connection from the ear to the brain. The procedure cost her family nothing except for regular checkups to monitor how the device was working.

Good luck with your device. I don't know if I could make myself a guinea pig.

fj1200
10-09-2012, 07:43 AM

I was thinking more Johnny Mnemonic.

jimnyc
10-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Nah, the folks in and around NYC are more like Lab Rats. Just sayin...;)

I don't know what's worse, a rat or a pig? :)

My friend Katie knows the feeling. She was born deaf, and cochlear implants were failing as she got older. So she got an experimental hearing implant that uses some microscopic connection from the ear to the brain. The procedure cost her family nothing except for regular checkups to monitor how the device was working.

Good luck with your device. I don't know if I could make myself a guinea pig.

I hope the device helped her hearing long term? Mine is fine thus far, a few pains here and there, but apparently associated to the muscle healing and not the device.

I was thinking more Johnny Mnemonic.

Never saw that, just read about it on IMDB, I just hope mine doesn't need to be removed before I die from it! :laugh:

gabosaurus
10-09-2012, 02:13 PM
I hope the device helped her hearing long term? Mine is fine thus far, a few pains here and there, but apparently associated to the muscle healing and not the device.

It has actually. In typical Katie fashion, when someone asks about the procedure, she tells them that she had her brain pierced. :rolleyes: