PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket by mail? Really?

glockmail
10-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Just got a speeding ticket in the mail saying I was doing 79kph on the M1 in Dublin Ireland. All the M roads are signed at 120. Apparently it was a work zone and a speed-cam. Should I pay it or no?

Abbey Marie
10-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Just got a speeding ticket in the mail saying I was doing 79kph on the M1 in Dublin Ireland. All the M roads are signed at 120. Apparently it was a work zone and a speed-cam. Should I pay it or no?

Well, they do need the money...

glockmail
10-09-2012, 08:50 PM
True. Their debt/ GDP ratio is up around 1.3.

tailfins
10-09-2012, 09:41 PM

You're short on needed information. Will this go on your driving record? If you don't want to go back to Ireland, you could write a letter to the judge, enclose the fine for a violation half that size and mark the money order paid in full for that case number. I got pulled over for 131kph in an 80kph zone in Quebec, mailed in a plea bargain for 99kph with the corresponding fine and it was accepted. I didn't just blow it off because Quebec has reciprocal agreement with many US states. The paid Quebec violation did NOT show up on my US driving record.

gabosaurus
10-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Unless you intend to return to Ireland any time soon, I would chunk it.

DragonStryk72
10-09-2012, 11:26 PM

Well, if there was no signage for the work zone, then you can't really be held liable, can you? I'd go with writing the judge explaining the situation. It may just be a mistake.

aboutime
10-10-2012, 01:23 AM
If you plan on returning to Ireland. Yes.

It's called being Honorable, and Honesty goes a longer way than looking over your shoulder, should you go back.

red states rule
10-10-2012, 03:27 AM
Unless you intend to return to Ireland any time soon, I would chunk it.

Gabby what is happening to you? You are willing to deny a government the money they need to provide vital servicies?

red states rule
10-10-2012, 03:28 AM

Its the new way for government to pick your pocket without paying a cop to sit at a speed trap and wiat for the next victim to zip by

glockmail
10-10-2012, 07:37 AM
You're short on needed information. Will this go on your driving record? If you don't want to go back to Ireland, you could write a letter to the judge, enclose the fine for a violation half that size and mark the money order paid in full for that case number. I got pulled over for 131kph in an 80kph zone in Quebec, mailed in a plea bargain for 99kph with the corresponding fine and it was accepted. I didn't just blow it off because Quebec has reciprocal agreement with many US states. The paid Quebec violation did NOT show up on my US driving record. Well it says two points on your license but that is of course for an Irish or Euro one, I have no idea.

glockmail
10-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Unless you intend to return to Ireland any time soon, I would chunk it.Predictable. Your honor is worth less than 80 Euro.

glockmail
10-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Well, if there was no signage for the work zone, then you can't really be held liable, can you? I'd go with writing the judge explaining the situation. It may just be a mistake.I don't remember seeing any signs but heck it was weeks ago. The speed signs on the M roads are all on the entrance ramps unless there is a change in speed. I drove a lot that day, much of it on the M1 doing 20 over, at times 30 over: a buck fifty. I didn't see a road cop anywhere over there the entire week, and we had a schedule to see stuff that day. Frankly I'm surprised I was caught driving so slow.

glockmail
10-10-2012, 07:42 AM
If you plan on returning to Ireland. Yes.

It's called being Honorable, and Honesty goes a longer way than looking over your shoulder, should you go back.I'd like to, but my next trip is to Austria, and there's that InterPol thing...

glockmail
10-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Its the new way for government to pick your pocket without paying a cop to sit at a speed trap and wiat for the next victim to zip byI got bagged by a red light cam a few years back and the deal was to pay it with no argument and get no points on your license: a no brainer.

Nukeman
10-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Predictable. Your honor is worth less than 80 Euro.
Wait....... Didn't you ask in your opening post (should I pay it or not?) So you were soliciting answers, If your honor is worth more than 80 euros than you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.... Just an observation!!!

Nukeman
10-10-2012, 08:38 AM
I got bagged by a red light cam a few years back and the deal was to pay it with no argument and get no points on your license: a no brainer.
personally I feel that is extortion, to give an incentive just to pay in full..

glockmail
10-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Wait....... Didn't you ask in your opening post (should I pay it or not?) So you were soliciting answers, If your honor is worth more than 80 euros than you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.... Just an observation!!!

Dude I was axing what others would do. I sent back the notice with my cc info within hours of getting it. :slap:

glockmail
10-10-2012, 09:13 AM
personally I feel that is extortion, to give an incentive just to pay in full..That's a bit harsh interpretation, but I don't think you're too far off. The issue has been hotly debated of late, and since the 2010 destruction of the Democrat legislative stronghold I believe that many of these cams have been removed, or the rules changed in favor of the driver.

Nukeman
10-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Dude I was axing what others would do. I sent back the notice with my cc info within hours of getting it. :slap:I figured as much, but wanted to jerk your chain a little>>>

Nukeman
10-10-2012, 09:21 AM
That's a bit harsh interpretation, but I don't think you're too far off. The issue has been hotly debated of late, and since the 2010 destruction of the Democrat legislative stronghold I believe that many of these cams have been removed, or the rules changed in favor of the driver.
Well if you pay in FULL and don't contest it we will hide it from your insurance company... Yep extortion...!!

tailfins
10-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I got bagged by a red light cam a few years back and the deal was to pay it with no argument and get no points on your license: a no brainer.

I NEVER EVER just pay a ticket, even a parking ticket. I have always managed to get it reduced and sometimes a full acquittal. In many jurisdictions if the cop fails to appear, you're not guilty right then and there. Even if the cop shows up, you can learn effective ticket fighting strategies from www.motorists.org .

glockmail
10-10-2012, 10:42 AM
I figured as much, but wanted to jerk your chain a little>>> Put a little lube on there buddy and be more gentle...

glockmail
10-10-2012, 10:43 AM
I NEVER EVER just pay a ticket, even a parking ticket. I have always managed to get it reduced and sometimes a full acquittal. In many jurisdictions if the cop fails to appear, you're not guilty right then and there. Even if the cop shows up, you can learn effective ticket fighting strategies from www.motorists.org (http://www.motorists.org) .

Yeahbut, yeahbut, the court in this case is 3000 miles away...

tailfins
10-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Yeahbut, yeahbut, the court in this case is 3000 miles away...

I still think you could have saved 30-40 Euros with a well written plea bargain sent through the mail. There are good templates online to show you how to write a proper court petition.

glockmail
10-10-2012, 10:51 AM
I still think you could have saved 30-40 Euros with a well written plea bargain sent through the mail. There are good templates online to show you how to write a proper court petition. Probably. But whenever you argue against any government agency, every piece of correspondence has to be sent Return Receipt Requested, or else they will "lose" it and fuck you over with a penalty due to lateness. I've had that happen too many times. Fuck Them. Fuck All Government Agencies.

Noir
10-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Aw man you were in Dublin? That's only two hours down the road from me (or less if you're driving ;D )
Should of said, I'd off popped down and got ya a Guinness and some Tayto.

As for the OP, that's pretty common practice over here, you guys not get speeding notices in the post?

tailfins
10-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Aw man you were in Dublin? That's only two hours down the road from me (or less if you're driving ;D )

As for the OP, that's pretty common practice over here, you guys not get speeding notices in the post?

Almost never. Even for red light photo enforcement, it needs to be in a jurisdiction that can afford to ignore constituents. Photo enforcement generally causes a waterfall of ill will from constituents in the US.

glockmail
10-10-2012, 12:04 PM

I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not sure I'd want you around, Bro. :poke:

We had red light cams here in the past, but they caused quite an uproar. I don't see my state adopting speed cams any time soon, especially after 2010 with the anti-liberal backlash that we the people gave our state and federal governments.

Noir
10-10-2012, 01:11 PM
I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not sure I'd want you around, Bro. :poke:

We had red light cams here in the past, but they caused quite an uproar. I don't see my state adopting speed cams any time soon, especially after 2010 with the anti-liberal backlash that we the people gave our state and federal governments.

D'aw just cus of politics, or do you not meet people from the interweb as a rule?

We don't have any red-light cams that I know of, but one type of camera that's popping up everywhere are 'Average speed cameras' mostly on Motorways and Carriageways.

Basically there are several cameras along a couple of miles of road. As you pass each one it takes your car registration. And computes what your average speed was between that camera and the last one you passed. The idea being that a) you can't get a ticket because you just entered a 40 from a 60 and on that spot where caught at 50, and b) people don't slow down to pass 'spot' cameras only to speed up when past them.

glockmail
10-10-2012, 01:38 PM
D'aw just cus of politics, or do you not meet people from the interweb as a rule?

Not so much politics but attitude. That, and I don't want to be close in case a lightning bolt comes out of the sky and nails you. :laugh:

Noir
10-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Not so much politics but attitude. That, and I don't want to be close in case a lightning bolt comes out of the sky and nails you. :laugh:

FairPlay, and yikes! I best setup my offerings to Thor!

glockmail
10-10-2012, 01:56 PM
I've got relatives and friends who are libs, and more often than not they don't want to hang out with me. We have friendly debates that they lose badly because they argue from emotion not facts, then they get all emotional and the debate turns ugly. I've had a niece threaten violence simply because I made a joke about Democrats and two nephews who bruised me up pretty badly when I destroyed their pro-Obama arguments. My brother's a lib and won't visit me at my cabin to go skiing even though he loves to ski; he acts all snobby and say that he'd rather go out West where the scenery is better.

I've found a fairly consistent pattern with libs. They're tolerant with me as long as I don't express my political opinions but I still need to be tolerant of their political opinions in spite of their seemingly endless need to express theirs.

glockmail
10-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Last year my wife and I were on a cruise down the Rhine River with 180 other passengers. One breakfast we sat with another couple from LA, California. We had been there the year earlier and knew about where they lived and hung out, but of course they had not been to North Carolina or where even familiar with the basic geography. Then guy was sort of short and nerdy but funny, and his wife was the middle age hippy type that I just got along swimmingly with. As soon as he mentioned The Obama though, I told him that I was "probably the most conservative person on the planet". His response that "we're liberals" and refused to talk to me from then on and for the remainder of the trip. I still talked to his wife though and made her laugh a few times. She was a hoot. Every time I talked with her her husband would look away and try to ignore me. :laugh:

Noir
10-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Interesting that you'd say you have debates with friends 'that they lose'
How often would you say you 'lose' the debate Glock?

glockmail
10-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Interesting that you'd say you have debates with friends 'that they lose'
How often would you say you 'lose' the debate Glock? When they get emotional or violent it it a clear indication of my complete, destructive victory. Wouldn't you agree?

Noir
10-10-2012, 02:45 PM
When they get emotional or violent it it a clear indication of my complete, destructive victory. Wouldn't you agree?

Not necessarily, it al depends on how you define 'win'. I could argue with someone that the sky is orange, when they say its blue. If I annoy then into losing their temper, that doesn't mean that I was right. So is 'win' defined by 'who keeps their temper' or 'who is right'?

And as I asked, how many of these debates have you 'lost'?

aboutime
10-10-2012, 02:46 PM
When they get emotional or violent it it a clear indication of my complete, destructive victory. Wouldn't you agree?

glock. Askin Noir such a question would almost equal asking Noir to explain whether Obama is MORE Black, than White, or the other way around.
Liberals, and Democrats here in the United States are so convinced ONLY THEY ARE RIGHT...all of the time. They would never dare admit to losing anything...like a debate. When you constantly repeat known lies most of your life. There comes a day, as Mister Obama has shown us. When Not even HE knows the difference between the truth, and a lie.

glockmail
10-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Not necessarily, it al depends on how you define 'win'. I could argue with someone that the sky is orange, when they say its blue. If I annoy then into losing their temper, that doesn't mean that I was right. So is 'win' defined by 'who keeps their temper' or 'who is right'?

And as I asked, how many of these debates have you 'lost'?

So in your world, a person who "loses his temper", threatens or commits violence has not lost the debate. Is this your position?

For the record, I have never lost a political debate with any of my relatives. When my mother was alive it usually ended with her asking us to stop arguing, but now that she's not around they are forced to bear the full brunt of my cold calculating demeanor until they break down and cry, scream and whine, or as I mentioned before, threaten or use violence.

Noir
10-10-2012, 03:05 PM
So in your world, a person who "loses his temper", threatens or commits violence has not lost the debate. Is this your position?

For the record, I have never lost a political debate with any of my relatives. When my mother was alive it usually ended with her asking us to stop arguing, but now that she's not around they are forced to bear the full brunt of my cold calculating demeanor until they break down and cry, scream and whine, or as I mentioned before, threaten or use violence.

Like I said it depends how you judge a 'win/loss' by who loses their temper, or by who is 'right' (and what even is 'right'?)

I just find it all very odd, I forever have debates with family and friends (and most especially with my mum) and I couldn't even begin to judge who had 'won' what =/

glockmail
10-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Like I said it depends how you judge a 'win/loss' by who loses their temper, or by who is 'right' (and what even is 'right'?)

I just find it all very odd, I forever have debates with family and friends (and most especially with my mum) and I couldn't even begin to judge who had 'won' what =/
Let's say that you are observing two people arguing over an issue. Say it's the color of an object. Party A says that it is red, while party B insists that its is blue. You can't see the object, only observe the conversation.

Party A expresses why he believes that he is correct, and B begins by doing the same. A provides additional logical argument, and B interrupts and screams. A laughs and provides more calm logic, at which point B screams again, turns around and leaves the room.

Who do you think won the argument?

Noir
10-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Let's say that you are observing two people arguing over an issue. Say it's the color of an object. Party A says that it is red, while party B insists that its is blue. You can't see the object, only observe the conversation.

Party A expresses why he believes that he is correct, and B begins by doing the same. A provides additional logical argument, and B interrupts and screams. A laughs and provides more calm logic, at which point B screams again, turns around and leaves the room.

Who do you think won the argument?

If I was going by 'who kept their temper' I'd say A won. If I was going by 'who seemed more convincing', I'd say A won, if I was going by 'who was right', I'd have to see the object for myself.

glockmail
10-10-2012, 03:31 PM
In political discussions, you don't get to see the object.

I believe that I have, once again, made my case. :poke:

tailfins
10-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Your time is better spent convincing likely Republican voters to go vote. It's a much smaller hill to climb. You've accomplished just as much if you reach two conservatives who might not have bothered voting.

glockmail
10-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Your time is better spent convincing likely Republican voters to go vote. It's a much smaller hill to climb. You've accomplished just as much if you reach two conservatives who might not have bothered voting.Based on the turn-out of the 2010 elections nationally and the NC primary a few months back, I don't think that's going to be an issue in this election.

Besides, trouncing libs is just plain fun. Every play "Whack-a-Mole" at your county fair?

tailfins
10-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Based on the turn-out of the 2010 elections nationally and the NC primary a few months back, I don't think that's going to be an issue in this election.

Besides, trouncing libs is just plain fun. Every play "Whack-a-Mole" at your county fair?

Back when I was in school, we had libs and conservatives that would spend hours on end going back and forth. One of the other students coined a term for it: psychological masturbation

Robert A Whit
10-10-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't remember seeing any signs but heck it was weeks ago. The speed signs on the M roads are all on the entrance ramps unless there is a change in speed. I drove a lot that day, much of it on the M1 doing 20 over, at times 30 over: a buck fifty. I didn't see a road cop anywhere over there the entire week, and we had a schedule to see stuff that day. Frankly I'm surprised I was caught driving so slow.

Do the right thing. You know what it is.

Especially since you claim to travel in Europe fairly often.

Doing the right thing is what one does when nobody is looking.

glockmail
10-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Do the right thing. You know what it is.

Especially since you claim to travel in Europe fairly often.

Doing the right thing is what one does when nobody is looking.Post 17. :slap: