PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts?

Missileman
10-11-2012, 07:53 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/teachers-money-selling-materials-online-090509611.html

I know here in Louisiana, parents are forced to fork over classroom supplies. Is it possible teachers are re-selling those or tax-payer provided ones for profit? Or am I being too cynical?

fj1200
10-11-2012, 08:27 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/teachers-money-selling-materials-online-090509611.html

I know here in Louisiana, parents are forced to fork over classroom supplies. Is it possible teachers are re-selling those or tax-payer provided ones for profit? Or am I being too cynical?

A touch cynical perhaps, I didn't see anything that suggested that they were reselling classroom supplies.

Abbey Marie
10-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Don't know about your question, but this is yet another good example of how private entrepreneurs far exceed the government when given half a chance.

Kathianne
10-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Don't know about your question, but this is yet another good example of how private entrepreneurs far exceed the government when given half a chance.

Exactly, Abbey. The teacher created her own charts instead of buying from teacher store, which often are not exactly what is wanted. Then using the one she created, sold either copies of template or finished product via paypal in all likelihood.

I'm in the process of writing Constitution related unit charts for grades k-12. Will likely have a good response from primary teachers, who aren't that familiar with how to present to younger students. These are NOT history or political science majors. ;) The lesson plans from education sites are not very good on this subject.

I'm also creating lesson plans, with mini-plan alternatives. Of all subjects, lower primary teachers drop social studies and science most often when they run into time crunches. Surveys show that many teachers are not comfortable with the subjects and have difficulty getting the objectives across, if they don't have 40 minutes, they take the time and add it to math/reading.

If I get a decent response, I'll do the same with ancient history, tying it together with language arts.

Kathianne
10-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the thanks, Abbey.

Hot right now for teachers:

Smart board interactive lesson, where the kids can come up and write or pick an answer. Great for map lessons! Many schools have provided the boards, but don't have the time or money to properly train the teachers. Even with training, creating the lessons are extremely time consuming and have to be checked and rechecked; then fixed. The bulk of 'lesson plans' online are from UK, which is usually ok for most math, but not history or even language arts. Science too a problem, metric. ;)

Games on just about any subject, with answers! I've always had at least 5 games that can be adapted to subject. The most familiar are Bingo!, Where's Waldo?, Jeopardy! and any sports where a 'score' means a correct answer or group of answers. Scavenger hunts through news sources are also popular! LOL!

Abbey Marie
10-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the thanks, Abbey.

Hot right now for teachers:

Smart board interactive lesson, where the kids can come up and write or pick an answer. Great for map lessons! Many schools have provided the boards, but don't have the time or money to properly train the teachers. Even with training, creating the lessons are extremely time consuming and have to be checked and rechecked; then fixed. The bulk of 'lesson plans' online are from UK, which is usually ok for most math, but not history or even language arts. Science too a problem, metric. ;)

Games on just about any subject, with answers! I've always had at least 5 games that can be adapted to subject. The most familiar are Bingo!, Where's Waldo?, Jeopardy! and any sports where a 'score' means a correct answer or group of answers. Scavenger hunts through news sources are also popular! LOL!

That sounds like fun, actually. Wish we had all that when I was a kid. Our little Catholic school has us with the same kids from grades 3-8, so no new faces ever. And just Sister Cranky Pants up front droning on and on, lol.