PDA

View Full Version : Astronaut in strange love triangle leaving NASA

nevadamedic
05-26-2007, 04:07 AM
HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- The space shuttle pilot at the center of a bizarre love triangle that included a former astronaut who now faces attempted kidnapping charges is leaving the space agency, NASA said Friday.

Cmdr. Bill Oefelein will leave NASA on June 1, nearly four months after authorities believe his cooled relationship with Lisa Nowak led her to drive 900 miles from Houston to Florida and confront her romantic rival.

NASA requested a reassignment, and the Navy agreed, said Navy spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Doug Gabos.

The Navy expects to assign Oefelein to the Naval Network Warfare Command in Norfolk, Virginia, where he will work in the field of satellite communications. Oefelein will likely report for duty in July, Gabos said.

Spokesman Jim Rostohar declined to comment on the reason behind Oefelein's reassignment.

"NASA has determined that Cmdr. Oefelein's detail is no longer required for the purposes it was originally granted," Rostohar said.

A call to Oefelein's home phone was unanswered Friday.

Oefelein, 42, was previously in a relationship with Nowak, a Navy captain who has pleaded not guilty to charges stemming from an attack on Oefelein's girlfriend, Air Force Capt. Colleen Shipman, at the Orlando, Florida, airport on February 5.

Police say Nowak raced through five states to confront Shipman, wearing an astronaut diaper so that she would not have to stop.

Nowak, 44, was charged with attempted kidnapping, burglary with assault and battery. Oefelein told detectives he had a two-year relationship with Nowak but ended it some time after he started a relationship with Shipman.

NASA released Nowak from the astronaut corps a month after her arrest. She is now working at the Naval Air Station Corpus Christi.

Oefelein was a pilot during the last shuttle mission in December, which continued construction of the international space center.

He has since been working in the astronaut office, supporting the shuttle program, Rostohar said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/25/astronaut.arrested.ap/index.html

OMG how gross. These people are defending out country?

DragonStryk72
05-26-2007, 04:12 AM
The fact that this made front page is beyond me, to be honest. I mean, think about it, of all the things that are going on right now, does anyone at all really and truly care about this one man's relationship? It doesn't matter, I'm ex-mil, and I can tell you with certainty, that military relationships can get strange in a hurry, and that yes, it is a strain for both to be in the military, but really, is that news to anyone?

Gaffer
05-26-2007, 04:11 PM
I agree, its not news its gossip.

shattered
05-26-2007, 04:18 PM
OMG how gross. These people are defending out country?

Eh? What does someones personal relationship have to do with an ability to defend our country? If this is the best "newsworthy" article one can come up with... Sorry, but.. :lame2: