PDA

View Full Version : Felix Baumgartner freefalls 24 miles to Earth

jimnyc
10-14-2012, 05:11 PM
And is the first free falling person to break the sound barrier. This guy has got to be a nut! Bravo for him though, this experiment and technology might be useful to our space program someday.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_5uTD-25-qA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Robert A Whit
10-14-2012, 06:01 PM
And is the first free falling person to break the sound barrier. This guy has got to be a nut! Bravo for him though, this experiment and technology might be useful to our space program someday.

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_5uTD-25-qA" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

I watched him do it on Discovery channel. I happened to catch it from about 5 minutes prior to jumping and admired all the camera shots. That tumble added drama. But the man has a lot of experience. Darned good show.

Dilloduck
10-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Great event to watch--reminded me of the old astronaut days when he opened the hatch on that capsule. Way cool. :clap:

Robert A Whit
10-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Great event to watch--reminded me of the old astronaut days when he opened the hatch on that capsule. Way cool. :clap:

It was cool. But if you get to see the complete tape, I believe the door opened automatically. He was sittiing away from the door when it suddenly slid open. I wonder if they have a way to recover the capsule?

I agree that as a spectacle, it matches what other astronauts do short of the landing on the Moon. That was even more awesome. Expecially those shots of the Earth taken by men on the moon.

This guy today sure had a magnificent view. I am amazed he landed just where he wanted to land. Takes a lot of skill to be that good. Again, the video above does not show the door opening.

Dilloduck
10-14-2012, 07:50 PM
It was cool. But if you get to see the complete tape, I believe the door opened automatically. He was sittiing away from the door when it suddenly slid open. I wonder if they have a way to recover the capsule?

I agree that as a spectacle, it matches what other astronauts do short of the landing on the Moon. That was even more awesome. Expecially those shots of the Earth taken by men on the moon.

This guy today sure had a magnificent view. I am amazed he landed just where he wanted to land. Takes a lot of skill to be that good. Again, the video above does not show the door opening.

I watched it on streaming video. He manually opened the hatch and blocked it open. It was on his check list of "things to do".

jimnyc
10-14-2012, 07:52 PM
He tried to open the door but was at first unsuccessful. The altitude needed to lower to 127,000 before the door auto-unlocked. Guy makes me feel like a wimp. I'm afraid to bungee jump and he jumps off of a balloon at 24 miles up, and falls at like 800mph or so. That was insane, no matter how many times I watch it.

Dilloduck
10-14-2012, 07:56 PM
He tried to open the door but was at first unsuccessful. The altitude needed to lower to 127,000 before the door auto-unlocked. Guy makes me feel like a wimp. I'm afraid to bungee jump and he jumps off of a balloon at 24 miles up, and falls at like 800mph or so. That was insane, no matter how many times I watch it.

Oh c'mon-----if that door auto unlocked at 127,000 ft it would have unlocked on the WAY UP ! I understand that you love to argue but this is ridiculous. The guy manually had to open the hatch and block it open..

One of the techniques Mr. Baumgartner developed was to stay busy throughout the ascent. He conversed steadily with Mr. Kittinger, a former fighter pilot whose deep voice exuded the right stuff as he confidently went through a 40-item checklist rehearsing every move that Mr. Baumgartner would make when it came time to leave the capsule — tasks like sliding his seat forward, checking his parachutes and carefully opening the hatch.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/us/felix-baumgartner-skydiving.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

jimnyc
10-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Oh c'mon-----if that door auto unlocked at 127,000 ft it would have unlocked on the WAY UP ! I understand that you love to argue but this is ridiculous. The guy manually had to open the hatch and block it open..

Why are you going to argue when I wasn't, dumbass? The door was on auto-lock until he depressurized the cabin, and then the device started to slowly float back down, and when it reached 127,000, it allowed for the door to be unlocked - MANUALLY, as he did. He couldn't unlock it prior to that. I wasn't arguing, I was agreeing with you and explaining. Try reading and stop being a dick for a minute. This is all in the video if you took the time to watch it.

Dilloduck
10-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Why are you going to argue when I wasn't, dumbass? The door was on auto-lock until he depressurized the cabin, and then the device started to slowly float back down, and when it reached 127,000, it allowed for the door to be unlocked - MANUALLY, as he did. He couldn't unlock it prior to that. I wasn't arguing, I was agreeing with you and explaining. Try reading and stop being a dick for a minute. This is all in the video if you took the time to watch it.

before the door auto-unlocked

becuase you again claimed it auto unlocked. He handled the door manually.

jimnyc
10-14-2012, 08:12 PM
becuase you again claimed it auto unlocked. He handled the door manually.

Yes, unlocking the door isn't opening, is it? One it was auto-unlocked, he was able to open it. If you WATCH it, you'll see he even tells communications that the door won't open, and the gentlemen replies that he'll be able to when the altitude lowers to 127k

jimnyc
10-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Here's a longer video, start at 8:00 and watch him struggle to open the door, and it won't open, and he reports it to mission control. That's when they reply that he needs to reach a lower altitude before the door will open. I believe they say 128, but it's 127. It's very clear if you watch it from 8:00 and you'll see it NOT open, the explanation, then he is able to open once it reaches a lower altitude.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RQrGm8CYmkI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

glockmail
10-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Frickin' amazing. Thanks Jim.:clap:

Dilloduck is a douche. :slap:

Dilloduck
10-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Here's a longer video, start at 8:00 and watch him struggle to open the door, and it won't open, and he reports it to mission control. That's when they reply that he needs to reach a lower altitude before the door will open. I believe they say 128, but it's 127. It's very clear if you watch it from 8:00 and you'll see it NOT open, the explanation, then he is able to open once it reaches a lower altitude.

<iframe height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RQrGm8CYmkI" frameBorder="0" width="560" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

It didn't open at first because the altitude was off. He opened manually--no ground control.

Anton Chigurh
10-14-2012, 09:28 PM
It was one of the coolest things eva.

Dilloduck
10-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes, unlocking the door isn't opening, is it? One it was auto-unlocked, he was able to open it. If you WATCH it, you'll see he even tells communications that the door won't open, and the gentlemen replies that he'll be able to when the altitude lowers to 127k

no---unlocking a door and opening a door are not the same thing but He unlocked and opened the door manually. The only help he got from mission control was advice to wait until the altitude was correct thus making it easier. You can see his hand move it to the right for, God sakes. Mission control praises him for the good job.

Dilloduck
10-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Frickin' amazing. Thanks Jim.:clap:

Dilloduck is a douche. :slap:

a douche for being correct--damn I'm sorry

jimnyc
10-14-2012, 09:43 PM
It didn't open at first because the altitude was off. He opened manually--no ground control.

I never said ground control helped do anything, other than advise that he wouldn't be able to open the door until the altitude lowered.

no---unlocking a door and opening a door are not the same thing but He unlocked and opened the door manually. The only help he got from mission control was advice to wait until the altitude was correct thus making it easier. You can see his hand move it to the right for, God sakes. Mission control praises him for the good job.

I'm the one who just told you that "auto unlock" was not the same as opening the door, so not sure what you are talking about. And I also stated that he did open the door manually, AFTER the door auto-unlocked when it reached a lower altitude. He could NOT unlock the door until it was below 127k, then it released the locking mechanism, then he was able to slide the latch open.

I never said anything about mission control helping or unlocking. I never said he didn't open the door manually. I stated from the get go that unlocking and opening were totally different. I did state he opened it manually. You're just being an obtuse prick who obviously lacks comprehension skills. I'm done with you, I'm not playing your little games. Anyone reading this thread and comparing what I wrote to the video will see it's exactly as I stated.

jimnyc
10-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Exactly what was stated:

Baumgartner - The door is not coming in (as in not opening inward)

Mission - The door will open when you reach an ambient altitude of 128,000 (as in unlock, and able to now open).

It's as clear as day for anyone taking the time to listen, but some want to be dickheads and argue what ANYONE can hear if they simply listen from 8:00 to 10:00 for the whole conversation and explanation.

jimnyc
10-14-2012, 09:58 PM
A good blow by blow here, and showing at 2:02pm how the air pressure reaching outside pressure, the door will open (not auto, but he can open, as the door will auto-unlock). Mission control has determined via the gauges, if you watch, that this will happen at approximately 127,000 feet.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/post/felix-baumgartner-tries-record-breaking-jump-again-live-blog/2012/10/14/b7ddfc18-159d-11e2-be82-c3411b7680a9_blog.html?wprss=rss_on-innovations

Dilloduck
10-14-2012, 10:03 PM
I never said ground control helped do anything, other than advise that he wouldn't be able to open the door until the altitude lowered.

I'm the one who just told you that "auto unlock" was not the same as opening the door, so not sure what you are talking about. And I also stated that he did open the door manually, AFTER the door auto-unlocked when it reached a lower altitude. He could NOT unlock the door until it was below 127k, then it released the locking mechanism, then he was able to slide the latch open.

I never said anything about mission control helping or unlocking. I never said he didn't open the door manually. I stated from the get go that unlocking and opening were totally different. I did state he opened it manually. You're just being an obtuse prick who obviously lacks comprehension skills. I'm done with you, I'm not playing your little games. Anyone reading this thread and comparing what I wrote to the video will see it's exactly as I stated.

Resorting to name calling even ?
Shit Jim----there was no locking mechanism other than the forces of nature. The pressure had to be equal inside and outside for him to open it manually. They asked him to equal the pressure and when he did the door openeing easily. Pressure was keeping that door closed. The video shows his hand sliding the door to the right and blocking it open. I can't help it if I'm right dude----want me to lie ? Would that make you feel better ?

jimnyc
10-14-2012, 10:07 PM
If it makes you feel better, you can claim victory. I'll let the video and transcript speak for itself. Hell, you got what I wrote wrong 3 times now, so not surprising that you can't understand basic communication and transcripts. But you're right, and I'm wrong, I concede.

Dilloduck
10-14-2012, 10:16 PM
If it makes you feel better, you can claim victory. I'll let the video and transcript speak for itself. Hell, you got what I wrote wrong 3 times now, so not surprising that you can't understand basic communication and transcripts. But you're right, and I'm wrong, I concede.

It all speaks for itself----even his list that tells him to equalize pressure and open the hatch. Neg rep too ? Hope you feel good about that too.

KarlMarx
10-14-2012, 10:41 PM

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_5uTD-25-qA" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

The military conducted experiments of this sort in the late 1950s. The reason was that pilots who piloted the SR-71 and U-2 would have to eject from their aircraft at altitudes in excess of 19 miles. They wanted to see what the possibility of survivability would be.

Col. Joseph Kittinger was the test subject ... and it turns out, he was consulted for Felix Baumgartner's jump.

glockmail
10-15-2012, 02:37 PM
a douche for being correct--damn I'm sorryNo that's not the reason. :coffee:

Mr. P
10-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Pure BRASS BALLS nothing else would survive mach 1.! :laugh: