PDA

View Full Version : Will it become 1-32?

jimnyc
10-14-2012, 05:22 PM
We've been told many times now that the gay marriage initiative is becoming more and more popular and accepted in America - but the fact is that it's been brought to the voters in states 32 times so far, and they lost all 32 times. I think that speaks volumes. At any rate, will Maryland become the 1st? One knucklehead thinks one win would prove that America has moved "their way" dramatically. Math must not have been his finest subject.

Irene Huskens has the wedding venue picked out: a charming bed-and-breakfast in southern Maryland. But the wedding is no sure thing.

The plans made by Huskens, a 43-year-old police captain, and her partner, Leia Burks, hinge on whether Marylanders make history on Nov. 6 by voting to legalize same-sex marriage. A "yes" vote, and the wedding is on. A "no" victory? Huskens is loath to consider it.

"There are a lot of Marylanders who want to set the precedent of equality who will vote from their gut for fairness," she said at her colonial suburban home in Prince George's County, where she and Burks are raising two adopted children.

Dating back to 1998, 32 states have held votes on same-sex marriage, and all 32 have opposed it. Maryland is one of four states with Nov. 6 referendums on the issue — and gay-marriage advocates believe there's a strong chance the streak will be broken.

In Maryland, Maine and Washington, it's an up-or-down vote on legalizing same-sex marriage. In Minnesota, there's a measure to place a ban on gay marriage in the state constitution, as 30 other states have done previously.

Groups supporting same-sex marriage, which has been legalized by court rulings or legislative votes in six states and the District of Columbia, are donating millions of dollars to the four campaigns. They're hoping for at least one victory to deprive their foes of the potent argument that gay marriage has never prevailed at the ballot box.

"Our opposition uses this talking point with elected officials and in courtrooms," said Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign. The national gay-rights group is contributing more than $4.4 million to the four state campaigns.

"If we're able to win one of these four, it will be a narrative change — proof that the public has moved our way dramatically," Griffin said.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Gay-Marriage-Showdown/2012/10/14/id/459903

red states rule
10-14-2012, 05:27 PM
The opposition to gay marriage in MD is strong Jim. Many black church leaders are openly opposing the move

and the voters had to force the Dems to put the question on the ballot after Dems rammed it through in the Md House and Senate

I am confident MD will keep the losing streak of gay marriage on track

jimnyc
10-14-2012, 05:32 PM
The opposition to gay marriage in MD is strong Jim. Many black church leaders are openly opposing the move

and the voters had to force the Dems to put the question on the ballot after Dems rammed it through in the Md House and Senate

But, but, but, but, I thought America was starting to lean in their favor? It's SO obvious that America is NOT leaning in their favor. Their only hope is activist judges or a miraculous Hail Mary from SCOTUS if a Dem president gets to change the complexion of the court.

red states rule
10-14-2012, 05:35 PM
But, but, but, but, I thought America was starting to lean in their favor? It's SO obvious that America is NOT leaning in their favor. Their only hope is activist judges or a miraculous Hail Mary from SCOTUS if a Dem president gets to change the complexion of the court.

Now if only those working in news rooms at MSNBC, CNN, the Washington Post, NY Times, LA Times, TIME, and Newsweek - then the streak would be broken

But much to the dismy of the libs in Annapolis, the voters will decide. and they are pissed that gay marriage was rammed through despite the loud opposition that was voiced while the libs were passing it

Reminds me of Obamacare

aboutime
10-14-2012, 07:34 PM
We've been told many times now that the gay marriage initiative is becoming more and more popular and accepted in America - but the fact is that it's been brought to the voters in states 32 times so far, and they lost all 32 times. I think that speaks volumes. At any rate, will Maryland become the 1st? One knucklehead thinks one win would prove that America has moved "their way" dramatically. Math must not have been his finest subject.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Gay-Marriage-Showdown/2012/10/14/id/459903

jimnyc: The problem is. WE are reminding them of facts they really DO NOT want to hear.

red states rule
10-15-2012, 02:06 AM
and here is yet another example of liberal tolerance when it comes to gay marrage

Diversity Officer Suspended for Supporting Traditional Marriage
The head diversity officer for Washington, D.C.'s Gallaudet University, the nation's premier college for the deaf, has been suspended from her position after it was revealed that she had signed a petition in Maryland to overturn that state's same-sex marriage law. Gallaudet's president, T. Alan Hurwitz, issued a statement indicating that Dr. Angela McCaskill, who signed the petition in July, had been placed on administrative leave immediately pending an investigation.

Dr. McCaskill is the first deaf black woman to earn a doctorate from the university, and has worked at Gallaudet for 23 years, beginning the diversity position last year.

Another faculty member reportedly spotted McCaskill’s name on the Maryland petition, and filed a complaint against her with the university. Dr. McCaskill explained that she had signed the petition at her church, after her pastor had spoken about the biblical position on traditional marriage. She said that her husband had pointed out the petition and she signed it as she was leaving church.

“It recently came to my attention that Dr. McCaskill has participated in a legislative initiative some feel is inappropriate for an individual serving as Chief Diversity Officer,” Hurwitz wrote on the university's Facebook page. The 160,000 signatures on the petition was enough to place the law before Maryland voters, who will have an opportunity to repeal it on November 6. Hurwitz said that he would “use the extended time while she is on administrative leave to determine the appropriate next steps taking into consideration the duties of this position at the university.”

McCaskill's office is charged with providing support (http://www.gallaudet.edu/Diversity/About_ODI.html) for minority groups at the university, including homosexual and other sexually confused students, and from all reports she was doing a satisfactory job. PlanetDeafQueer.com (http://planet.deafqueer.com/gallaudets-chief-diversity-officer-signs-anti-gay-petition/), a website catering to deaf homosexuals, reported that according to university sources, “Dr. McCaskill has been an ardent supporter of Gallaudet’s LGBTQA Resource Center, which was formed in October 2010 and is part of the Office of Diversity and Equity for Students.”

http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/faith-and-morals/item/13208-diversity-officer-suspended-for-supporting-traditional-marriage

fj1200
11-07-2012, 09:57 AM

Apparently 4-32 with WA likely to have passed and the MN amendment rejection:

In historic first, gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/historic-first-gay-marriage-approved-popular-vote-maine-062623169--election.html)

jimnyc
11-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Apparently 4-32 with WA likely to have passed and the MN amendment rejection:

In historic first, gay marriage is approved by popular vote in Maine, Maryland (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/historic-first-gay-marriage-approved-popular-vote-maine-062623169--election.html)

2-32 actually - it was 0-32 prior to yesterday. But yep, they voted and approved it, so they're legit wins at least. I'd rather see that then judges making decisions. The MN amendment doesn't count "much" as it's still illegal there, they just rejected a constitutional amendment, but of course they still have rejected gay marriage. It's leading in Washington, but I have no idea why the tallies aren't in?

fj1200
11-07-2012, 10:25 AM
2-32 actually - it was 0-32 prior to yesterday. But yep, they voted and approved it, so they're legit wins at least. I'd rather see that then judges making decisions. The MN amendment doesn't count "much" as it's still illegal there, they just rejected a constitutional amendment, but of course they still have rejected gay marriage. It's leading in Washington, but I have no idea why the tallies aren't in?

Yeah, not sure the hold up in WA. They do have a tendency to "create" votes when necessary; see Dino Rossi.

Gaffer
11-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah, not sure the hold up in WA. They do have a tendency to "create" votes when necessary; see Dino Rossi.

I suspect the creating votes happened quite a lot throughout the country this time around.