PDA

View Full Version : Spammer registrations

jimnyc
10-15-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm sure some of you have seen the wacky usernames registering here, which are spammers trying to get to the board. While the board has been great at keeping them from posting, I'm tired of even seeing the stupid names. New software has been installed to hopefully prevent them from even registering. Please let me know if anyone sees any weird issues.

Abbey Marie
10-15-2012, 12:53 PM
:cool:

gabosaurus
10-15-2012, 01:04 PM
What about the ones that are already posting? :p

fj1200
10-15-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm sure some of you have seen the wacky usernames registering here, which are spammers trying to get to the board.

There seems to be a huge uptick in those types of usernames popping up. What's the point if they're not posting?

jimnyc
10-15-2012, 01:55 PM
There seems to be a huge uptick in those types of usernames popping up. What's the point if they're not posting?

They use programs to auto-register, and then try to make spam posts. Most of them use fake emails, and the account is dead until they validate the email, and some think they'll quickly get a post in with their links, and you must have a minimum amount of posts before you can post URL's. Still annoying to see them all of a sudden hitting the board again.

mundame
10-15-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm sure some of you have seen the wacky usernames registering here, which are spammers trying to get to the board. While the board has been great at keeping them from posting, I'm tired of even seeing the stupid names. New software has been installed to hopefully prevent them from even registering. Please let me know if anyone sees any weird issues.

Whoa!! I'm glad you brought this up. I just signed up at another forum with, okay, I'm gonna say some people might consider it a whacky ID, "Mirror on the Wall." I hadn't posted, I was just reading threads, and they banned me immediately!!!

I decided they knew who I was and didn't want me there, but I wonder if it was this sort of thing jimnyc is dealing with.

glockmail
10-15-2012, 02:45 PM
I've found the easiest way to avoid spammers is to ask a question during registration and require a correct answer. Apparently they don't know the sum of 3 + 4 or how to spell gameboy. :laugh:

aboutime
10-15-2012, 03:41 PM

jimnyc: Unfortunately. This kind of site usually becomes one of the easiest to Spam, and a place for Hackers to invade.
We've seen this sort of idiot crap for many years. And we must all GUARD against the Lonely, Idiots who get some kind of weirdo pleasure from disrupting other people for no reason, other than they are just DUMB.

Mr. P
10-15-2012, 03:56 PM
I promise to NEVER Spam, but I might SLIME YOU! :laugh:

Abbey Marie
10-15-2012, 04:02 PM
I promise to NEVER Spam, but I might SLIME YOU! :laugh:

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, eggs and spam. :cool:

Anton Chigurh
10-15-2012, 04:43 PM
I've found the easiest way to avoid spammers is to ask a question during registration and require a correct answer. Apparently they don't know the sum of 3 + 4 or how to spell gameboy. :laugh:The newer versions of autospam software get around that one now too.

Abbey Marie
10-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Whoa!! I'm glad you brought this up. I just signed up at another forum with, okay, I'm gonna say some people might consider it a whacky ID, "Mirror on the Wall." I hadn't posted, I was just reading threads, and they banned me immediately!!!

I decided they knew who I was and didn't want me there, but I wonder if it was this sort of thing jimnyc is dealing with.

The ones I've seen here tend to be nonsensical jumbles of alpha and numeric. So, not to say they don't like you, but your name prob wouldn't raise suspicions of spamming.

KarlMarx
10-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, eggs and spam. :cool:

You mean this???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE)

Abbey Marie
10-15-2012, 04:59 PM
You mean this???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE)

Exxackery. Rep for recognizing it on the way! :thumb: