PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, a fish touched me!

jimnyc
10-16-2012, 04:39 PM
I admit, this is how I am, if at the ocean and I step on something "fishy" or a rock, I jump clear out of the water! Funnier when a dog does it though!

http://i.imgur.com/snKtG.jpg

Thunderknuckles
10-16-2012, 05:02 PM
LOL, I've been there.
Lakes and rivers aren't as big a problem as the ocean where the fish are much bigger and stepping on something slimy can put you in a lot of pain.

gabosaurus
10-16-2012, 05:12 PM
I love the beach. I can't imagine ever living someplace that is not close to the beach. But I don't go in water over my knees. Mostly because I don;t want to step on anything that might be icky. :p

Thunderknuckles
10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
I love the beach. I can't imagine ever living someplace that is not close to the beach. But I don't go in water over my knees. Mostly because I don;t want to step on anything that might be icky. :p
That's a healthy fear Gabby. I stepped on a jellyfish when I was a young boy. I don't remember the details of the experience but it was traumatizing enough that to this day I say a silent prayer whenever I step into the Pacific Ocean.

tailfins
10-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Is a lobster about 10 feet away something to get away from? I saw one in Nova Scotia this summer and decided not to risk it. I was slightly tempted to get closer and try to grab it. Another inclination was to just ignore it. Is there any risk of a lobster swimming closer and getting ahold of your foot?

jimnyc
10-16-2012, 05:46 PM
That's a healthy fear Gabby. I stepped on a jellyfish when I was a young boy. I don't remember the details of the experience but it was traumatizing enough that to this day I say a silent prayer whenever I step into the Pacific Ocean.

If it stings, you need only have someone pee on it! :laugh2:

Thunderknuckles
10-16-2012, 05:54 PM
If it stings, you need only have someone pee on it! :laugh2:
No one ever mentioned that back in the 70's and I'm not willing to test it's effectiveness...EVER :laugh:

jimnyc
10-16-2012, 05:57 PM
No one ever mentioned that back in the 70's and I'm not willing to test it's effectiveness...EVER :laugh:

Yeah right, I think I'd just let it burn for awhile and take my chances till I can get "real" medical help. Then again, I never got a real bad sting before, if it were REAL bad, and no one was around, well, you know, it's my body anyway! LOL :coffee:

CSM
10-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Is a lobster about 10 feet away something to get away from? I saw one in Nova Scotia this summer and decided not to risk it. I was slightly tempted to get closer and try to grab it. Another inclination was to just ignore it. Is there any risk of a lobster swimming closer and getting ahold of your foot?

LOL... never heard of a lobster attacking anyone not while they were still alive anyway.

Gaffer
10-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Jim if you go swimming in a pond full of crawdads you'll be walking on water getting out of there.

CSM
10-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Jim if you go swimming in a pond full of crawdads you'll be walking on water getting out of there.

I'll take crawdads over leeches any day. I hate leeches!

fj1200
10-17-2012, 11:10 AM

Don't you like free-range lobster?

tailfins
10-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Don't you like free-range lobster?

I wasn't sure what to do. The water was about 5 ft deep. I suppose they are too fast to catch like that if healthy. I just kept imagining that claw hanging on to a toe in five feet of water.

fj1200
10-17-2012, 11:27 AM
I wasn't sure what to do. The water was about 5 ft deep. I suppose they are too fast to catch like that if healthy. I just kept imagining that claw hanging on to a toe in five feet of water.

:laugh: I probably would have thought the same thing. And I don't like lobster to go after it for dinner.

Voted4Reagan
10-17-2012, 01:33 PM

They can swim.... but usually they'll hold close to cover and try to hide.

Also... you can grab them with your hands... easiest way is to come from behind as the claws can only elevate about 60 degrees...grabbing the carapace just behind the main claw joints is the best spot...

BUT... you better have a permit... if you get caught in possession illegally the fines are huge.