PDA

View Full Version : Senator George McGovern Has Died

red states rule
10-21-2012, 07:54 AM
May he rest in pace and may God have mercy on his soul

George McGovern, the 1972 Democratic presidential nominee, has died after a short stay in a South Dakota hospice, after what his family termed a “combination of medical conditions.”
He was 90 years old.

A 22-year veteran of the House and Senate from South Dakota, McGovern was one of the most storied American politicians of the 20th century. McGovern was best known for his outspoken opposition to the Vietnam War and advocacy for agricultural and world hunger issues.

McGovern lost the 1972 presidential election to the incumbent President Richard Nixon in one of the biggest landslides in American history, winning only Massachusetts and the District of Columbia. Nixon later resigned from the presidency in 1974 due to the Watergate scandal

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/21/former-presidential-nominee-george-mcgovern-dies-at-0/#ixzz29wCOJClB

WiccanLiberal
10-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Whether you agreed or disagreed with him, the man gave much of his life to public service. R.I.P. Mr. McGovern

red states rule
10-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Whether you agreed or disagreed with him, the man gave much of his life to public service. R.I.P. Mr. McGovern

He was a rather civil liberal and you could have a real back and forth discussion with him. Unlike the current crop of libs who have no problem showing their contempt for those who have a different opinion on the role and size of government

He was a good man and well respected. He will be missed

mundame
10-21-2012, 10:00 AM
McGovern was actually the only Democrat I've ever voted for. I sure didn't like that Vietnam War.....and he didn't either.

red states rule
10-21-2012, 10:05 AM
McGovern was actually the only Democrat I've ever voted for. I sure didn't like that Vietnam War.....and he didn't either.

So you were a "Republican" back then to eh? :laugh2:

mundame
10-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Yes, I registered Republican when I first went to vote and have always voted Republican except for McGovern --- and some third-party candidates such as Perot when I got disgusted with the status quo.

I did re-register Independent in 2006.

Thanks for asking.

red states rule
10-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Yes, I registered Republican when I first went to vote and have always voted Republican except for McGovern --- and some third-party candidates such as Perot when I got disgusted with the status quo.

I did re-register Independent in 2006.

Thanks for asking.

Being an "Independent" is the same as being registered as a Democrat and your posts confirm that statement