PDA

View Full Version : Why Should Anyone Pay Higher Taxes With Spending Like This Going On?

red states rule
10-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Another example why taxpayers should not pay one additional penny in taxes when we have a government spending out tax dollars on crap like this

Here are some highlights of the report:

-- Though skeptics say there's no such thing as a free cellphone or service funded by the federal government, Coburn's report shows otherwise. It estimates that taxpayers are subsidizing phone service at a cost of nearly $1.5 billion a year. Though the roots of the program can be traced back to an effort in the 1930s to make sure all Americans had access to telecommunications, it has morphed into a program that provided free cell service to some 16,500,000 participants last year.

-- Though NASA has no plans or budget for any manned spaceflights to Mars, the agency spends about $1 million each year on developing "the Mars menu." It's an effort to come up with a variety of food that humans could eat one day on Mars.

-- A $325,000 grant for the development of "Robosquirrel" - a robotic rodent designed to test the interaction between rattlesnakes and squirrels.

-- An estimated $70 million loss for producing pennies. According to the Waste Book, "The cost to produce a penny in 2012 is more than two times its actual value." After the pennies are manufactured and sold at face value, taxpayers are left to cover the loss.

-- The report spotlights widespread abuse of the food stamp system -- including an exotic dancer who earned more than $85,000 a year in tips, but also collected nearly $1,000 a month in food stamps while spending $9,000 during that time period on "cosmetic enhancements."

-- Nearly $700,000 from the National Science Foundation to a New York-based theater company so it could develop a musical about climate change and biodiversity. "The Great Immensity" opened in Kansas City this year. Along with the songs one reviewer described as sounding like "a Wikipedia entry set to music," the audience was also able to experience "flying monkey poop."

In all, the 2012 Waste Book report details 100 examples totaling nearly $19 billion. Coburn acknowledges that's a drop in the bucket in contrast to the overall federal deficit, which tops $16 trillion, but he says the items are snapshots of the bigger problem.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/15/coburn-waste-book-details-1-billion-in-eye-opening-government-expenses/#ixzz29wXBB6Z9

jafar00
10-21-2012, 01:06 PM
What do you say about the crazy amount spent on the military?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/timeline/9b6b4ac6234a38d7f61757290055617d.png

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-21-2012, 01:13 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/timeline/9b6b4ac6234a38d7f61757290055617d.png

THE WORLD IS A VERY DANGEROUS PLACE AND WE HAVE BEEN ITS WATCHDOG. That costs huge sums of money and we once could afford that luxury. Obama helps bankrupt us to insure that we can no longer afford that luxury. After we find that to be the case the world gets to start WW3 maybe. THE BIG QUESTION IS WILL IT BE A RELIGIOUS WAR/ MUSLIM? OR A CAPITALIST WAR ? Or a major exspansion by China? A war started by Iran after it gets nukes?
Lots of danger , only one of the USA. And we are deliberately beiing bankrupted.. AND THAT TO GREATLY REDUCE OUR MILITARY SPENDING AND ITS SIZE.--Tyr

jimnyc
10-21-2012, 01:45 PM

That crazy amount keeps us safe. With the thousands and thousands of terror attacks going on around the world since 2001, it makes perfect sense to spend more on the defense budget then it does to be bailing out private companies and making increases of 40% to the welfare system so that more and more people can leech off the system.

Besides, why do you care what we spend on our defense? Jealous? Angry? I don't understand why it would bother you in the slightest.

fj1200
10-21-2012, 01:55 PM

It certainly helps Australia pay a lot less.

You're welcome. :poke:

Robert A Whit
10-21-2012, 03:38 PM

Believe it or not, a lot of that money is paid to current and former troops in wages, benefits and in medical care and survivors benefits.

It is the product of this nation winding down a formerly enormous military size.

Robert A Whit
10-21-2012, 03:42 PM
That crazy amount keeps us safe. With the thousands and thousands of terror attacks going on around the world since 2001, it makes perfect sense to spend more on the defense budget then it does to be bailing out private companies and making increases of 40% to the welfare system so that more and more people can leech off the system.

Besides, why do you care what we spend on our defense? Jealous? Angry? I don't understand why it would bother you in the slightest.

Is that poster not an American?

Don't ignore that the Military pays an enormous percentage of each budget on wages to current troops, and retirement benefits to many millions who once served. Then they pay survivors benefits. They pay former troops health care as well.

Extract that and the amount for guns and ships, etc is a lot smaller.

jimnyc
10-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Is that poster not an American?

Don't ignore that the Military pays an enormous percentage of each budget on wages to current troops, and retirement benefits to many millions who once served. Then they pay survivors benefits. They pay former troops health care as well.

Extract that and the amount for guns and ships, etc is a lot smaller.

No, he's not, he's from Australia and apparently has a lot of ties or visits to Islamic countries, as he is Muslim himself. Not criticizing him for either, but I just find it funny that people that come from countries that live amongst non-stop violence, like so many Islamic countries, wonder why we spend so much on defense.

tailfins
10-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Not necessarily. Think of all the money spent nation building. What if terror risk mitigation was done with strategic bombing? While I don't advocate discriminating against Muslims because of their religion, I do advocate deadly military force to make America safer. If leveling a city removes a terror threat, I say do it.

jimnyc
10-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Not necessarily. Think of all the money spent nation building. What if terror risk mitigation was done with strategic bombing? While I don't advocate discriminating against Muslims because of their religion, I do advocate deadly military force to make America safer. If leveling a city removes a terror threat, I say do it.

I have no issue with that and would prefer fighter jets doing more than rebuilding damage myself. And while I know it goes towards that budget, I speak of our weapons, artillery, intelligence and troops when I think of our defense. You won't get any argument from me on the nation building crap. "Win the hearts and minds" was never going to work, as many of these people would still want us dead, whether our military made their country safer or not. And while some will say otherwise, it would have made these places safer, if they were bright enough to take advantage of the changes. With that said, and in the era we are now, I would prefer they designate the money more on terror intelligence, more money for the troops and their families and protecting the homeland before those who seem to be ungrateful.

aboutime
10-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Another example why taxpayers should not pay one additional penny in taxes when we have a government spending out tax dollars on crap like this

red states rule. The sad, actual facts about everything mentioned is. Every year. The same people announce a growing list, that seems to exceed the previous year's list, and STILL......Nothing changes.

Of course. Taxpayers should not pay one additional penny in taxes for this kind of stuff. Common sense, logic, and honesty seem to be the viable, actual answers to those things.

However. As long as the General, Larger Population of the U.S. remains as IN THE DARK, and UNEDUCATED about such things. They will continue to ELECT politicians who PROMISE them the moon. And after they are elected several times.

The politicians who promised the Moon....GIVE the American people the "MOON", when they pull down their trousers, and shorts, and SHOOT ALL OF US.....THE MOON!