PDA

View Full Version : NJ mom charged with making terrorist threats for confronting bully

tailfins
10-22-2012, 09:20 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/22/new-jersey-mom-accused-slapping-daughter-bully-denies-claim/?test=latestnews

You have to dig into the story to get this; I'm surprised it's not part of the headline:

Rebecca Sardoni is charged with simple assault, criminal trespass and making terroristic threats.

I hope some here can see this as an example of where getting overly obsessed about terrorism can lead.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-22-2012, 09:59 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/22/new-jersey-mom-accused-slapping-daughter-bully-denies-claim/?test=latestnews

You have to dig into the story to get this; I'm surprised it's not part of the headline:

I hope some here can see this as an example of where getting overly obsessed about terrorism can lead.

Or even those that get overly obsessed about those they believe to be overly obsessed about terrorism!
I hope anybody like that can see this example and make amends..;)-Tyr

Abbey Marie
10-22-2012, 11:16 AM
I think you are confusing things here. Terroristic threat as a legal definition is not new, and can be very different from what we know as "terrorism". The fact that these two were on a bus full of kids, operated by a public school district, probably complicated things for them.

A terroristic threat is a crime generally involving a threat to commit violence communicated with the intent to terrorize another, to cause evacuation of a building, or to cause serious public inconvenience, in reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience. It may mean an offense against property or involving danger to another person that may include but is not limited to recklessly endangering another person, harassment, stalking, ethnic intimidation, and criminal mischief.
The following is an example of a Texas statute dealing with terroristic threats:
TERRORISTIC THREAT
(a) A person commits an offense if he threatens to commit any offense involving violence to any person or property with intent to:

cause a reaction of any type to his threat[s] by an official or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies;
place any person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury;
prevent or interrupt the occupation or use of a building; room; place of assembly; place to which the public has access; place of employment or occupation; aircraft, automobile, or other form of conveyance; or other public place;
cause impairment or interruption of public communications, public transportation, public water, gas, or power supply or other public service;
place the public or a substantial group of the public in fear of serious bodily injury; or
influence the conduct or activities of a branch or agency of the federal government, the state, or a political subdivision of the state.

(from uslegal.com)

mundame
10-22-2012, 11:29 AM
So the mom and the grandmom boarded the bus and did apparently knock the kids around: they were treated for cuts and a neck injury.

Four kids were physically and verbally abusing mom's daughter. What is to be done about bullying if the school refuses to intervene, as was the case here?

One thing I've noticed: it's usually girls they bully, and always pretty girls. A sex thrill thing at any age, I suppose. Or in the case of girls bullying, envy. Serial killers, bullies, rapists, abusers of all sorts always go for the pretty girls: why the human race doesn't get uglier and uglier I don't know, as pretty girls are killed and injured and taken out of the gene pool generation after generation.

I guess it's great that there is now a focus on bullying in schools. Obviously we don't know what to do about it yet, though.