PDA

View Full Version : Italy still convicts scientists --- AMAZING

Robert A Whit
10-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Found this on Yahoo news

L'AQUILA, Italy (AP) — Defying assertions that earthquakes cannot be predicted, an Italian court convicted seven scientists and experts of manslaughter Monday for failing to adequately warn residents before a temblor struck central Italy in 2009 and killed more than 300 people.
The court in L'Aquila also sentenced the defendants to six years each in prison. All are members of the national Great Risks Commission, and several are prominent scientists or geological and disaster experts.
Scientists had decried the trial as ridiculous, contending that science has no reliable way of predicting earthquakes. So news of the verdict shook the tightknit community of earthquake experts worldwide.
"It's a sad day for science," said seismologist Susan Hough, of the U.S. Geological Survey in Pasadena, Calif. "It's unsettling." That fellow seismic experts in Italy

gabosaurus
10-22-2012, 04:11 PM
The Italians have to convict someone. Their politicians are crooks and their football officials are crooks, but they can't convict any of those.

jimnyc
10-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Watch how quick other scientists jump for the positions over there now, knowing that if they get something wrong or miss something they might end up in prison.

Gaffer
10-22-2012, 04:14 PM
It is silliness. We all know it's Bush and his earthquake machine. :laugh:

mundame
10-22-2012, 05:19 PM
What an extraordinary story. Next they'll imprison weathermen for not predicting storms correctly................

Wait..............that might be an improvement. As it is, they just say whatever and nothing they say turns out.

mundame
10-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Let's imprison pollsters who get the election wrong!

How about climate change fans who predict a new ice age or global warming, whichever? Wait a few years, if it doesn't heat up or cool down like they say, off to the clink!

This has real potential. Could we put politicians in jail for not doing what they say they'll do during the election campaign?

jafar00
10-22-2012, 07:23 PM
This has real potential. Could we put politicians in jail for not doing what they say they'll do during the election campaign?

Now that I could get behind ;)

Abbey Marie
10-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Well, now those scientists won't be able to predict anything. :rolleyes:

revelarts
10-22-2012, 08:59 PM
The government can do no wrong.
The Scientist must have done it. they are criminals. They had a trail, if something was wrong, they should appeal, until then the laws the law. And good and right.
Why are people complaining?
the laws were written by elected officials . Who were voted on by the Italian people. And the Judges appointed by those officials.
Let the scientist change the laws and stop complaining.
They can rot in jail until the laws get changed, if not OH WELL.
As along as people obey the law, no matter how stupid or wrong it is It's fiiiiine with me.
Until it's changed by our wise leaders or enough people through the good legal process.

jimnyc
10-22-2012, 09:04 PM
The government can do know wrong.
The Scientist must have done it. they are criminals. They had a trail, if something was wrong, they should appeal, until then the laws the law. And good and right.
the laws were written by elected officials . Who were voted on by the Italian people. And the Judges appointed by those officials.
As along as people obey the law, no matter how stupid or wrong it is It's fiiiiine with me.
Until it's changed by our wise leaders or enough people through the good legal process.

Your butt still hurting I see? :lol:

Gaffer
10-22-2012, 09:09 PM
The government can do know wrong.

It's Italy, not the US. Our "wise leaders" have no say in what goes on there. And Ron Paul would say it's none of our business.

jimnyc
10-22-2012, 09:11 PM
And Ron Paul would say it's none of our business.

And then maybe sign off on a racists newsletter before taking a nap :laugh2:

revelarts
10-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Why are you responding to me here Jim?
I didn't mention your name.
Does something i wrote sound familiar?

I'm talking about Italian Gov't and the law here.

jimnyc
10-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Why are you responding to me here Jim?
I didn't mention your name.
Does something i wrote sound familiar?

I'm talking about Italian Gov't and the law here.

Do I need my name mentioned in order to reply to a thread here? I was unaware of this new rule! Nothing here sounds familiar as this is the first story I've read about scientists being jailed for not detecting an earthquake properly. Did I miss a thread on the same subject? Or are you taking apples and oranges to whine about something that made you butt hurt elsewhere? :lol:

mundame
10-23-2012, 01:41 PM
The seismologists had made reassuring remarks about an earthquake not being likely --- "People should relax and have a glass of red wine," said one who was sentenced.

Unluckily, the 2009 earthquake leveled the city of Aquiela and killed 300 people, destroyed pretty much the whole stone medieval city. People were wroth. It was a totally local decision by a lot of angry local people.

The entire Italian seismic risk government committee has just resigned!

And who can blame them? Italy has a LOT of earthquake risk with its volcanoes (Pompeii) and history of earthquakes. Anyone who says anything about earthquakes or volcanoes anymore risks a six-year prison sentence.

You can imagine that seismologists around the world are pretty upset about all this.

Gaffer
10-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Stupidity reigns in Italy.

Abbey Marie
10-23-2012, 02:53 PM
The seismologists had made reassuring remarks about an earthquake not being likely --- "People should relax and have a glass of red wine," said one who was sentenced.

Unluckily, the 2009 earthquake leveled the city of Aquiela and killed 300 people, destroyed pretty much the whole stone medieval city. People were wroth. It was a totally local decision by a lot of angry local people.

And who can blame them? Italy has a LOT of earthquake risk with its volcanoes (Pompeii) and history of earthquakes. Anyone who says anything about earthquakes or volcanoes anymore risks a six-year prison sentence.

You can imagine that seismologists around the world are pretty upset about all this.

The bolded part sounds like the Italian personality to a T. Not sure how an Italian can be faulted for that (pun intended).

Robert A Whit
10-23-2012, 03:13 PM

Mathmatically, those scientists were being correct.

Nobody, and I mean nobody can predict earth quakes. By the time sensors know anything is going on, the quake is already in progress. Sort of like staring down a long train track and without a schedule, predicting a train is coming. There has to be current data. Former quakes are a pretty good sign some quake is possible. As the post states, the city fell down. How do you persuade people their city will fall down? Do people think you are crazy?

We in CA live with the daily risk. And no, we are not rushing about trying to prepare.

We get told to expect a big one. Yet we live as if nothing can happen.