PDA

View Full Version : New York City Has Unionized Librarians?

taft2012
10-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Members of the union representing Queens Library workers are suing the library officials for refusing to give them copies of minutes from Board of Trustees meetings.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/unions-sues-queens-library-article-1.1190521#ixzz2ADNZUfQo

OK, I've been working for the city for a long time myself, and in the interest of full disclosure I too belong to a municipal union, but...LIBRARIANS? Really?

Aren't librarians supposed to be old ladies supplementing their Social Security with a mindless minimum wage job of "shushing" people and putting books back on shelves?

When did being a librarian become a career choice requiring the protections of a union? I wonder if this union also covers the librarians that work in the public school system, which would probably amount to approximately 3000 unionized librarians in the city's 1400 school buildings alone. All told, the population of New York City's unionized librarians could be greater than the entire population of some American towns.

As things currently stand in NYC, half of the students do not graduate high school. Combine that with the new digital age, and obviously the books are just sitting, collecting dust. Yet we have a union advocating for our unionized librarians.

*THIS* is the madness of municipal unions.

tailfins
10-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Library science is a legitimate field. It involves verifying authentic source documents. Here's Wikipedia's summary of the profession. It often involves a Master's Degree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_science

aboutime
10-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Library science is a legitimate field. It involves verifying authentic source documents. Here's Wikipedia's summary of the profession. It often involves a Master's Degree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_science

They needed a Master's degree to use a computer to look up information on Wikipedia???

No wonder they unionized. Wiki can put them out of business in an instant.

Do these Librarians also have control of the ELECTRICITY...per Union instructions, to shut down the power when people no longer ask them for references?

Gaffer
10-24-2012, 10:26 AM
The union bosses need larger pay checks so they go after anyone they can get. Union bosses and organizers don't even work in the fields their unions represent. And they get big fat checks.

fj1200
10-24-2012, 10:48 AM
OK, I've been working for the city for a long time myself, and in the interest of full disclosure I too belong to a municipal union, but...LIBRARIANS? Really?

Well that clears some things up.

aboutime
10-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Well that clears some things up.

I can't believe someone would actually come here to admit that.

Perhaps we all know one of those people we have seen on tv, who goes to sit in a room for eight hours a day. Not to teach, but to collect that pay, benefits, and retirement....with the full protection of the Union, and Union bosses....who also Do nothing but steal from the people of New York.