PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else here installing Windows 8 tomorrow?

tailfins
10-25-2012, 07:23 AM
I'm going to install it on the kids computers. That gives exposure to the OS without worrying about my current projects becoming inoperable.

glockmail
10-25-2012, 08:51 AM
No way will I ever upgrade Windoze in an older computer unless I absolutely have to. The newest versions are always more resource-hoggers and as a result they slow the PC down. Plus a lot of my old software has to be upgraded so there goes another few hundred down the drain. Also new versions are notorious for bugs and I have better things to do besides waiting for updates to install and restarting my computer 15 times. If there was some benefit then I might consider it but normally the later version simply delivers what the older version promised.

Anton Chigurh
10-25-2012, 09:56 AM
They will have to pry my XP Pro out of my cold, dead hands.

tailfins
10-25-2012, 10:23 AM
One reason I jump on new releases is because my livelihood depends on it. Windows 8 is going on the kid's computers because as long as their games work, they are happy. I have already confirmed they do with a pre-release version of Windows 8. While they are at school it is possible to test projects on their computers. The only downside is that my kids are now bugging me for tablets. Being ahead of the curve with things like cloud deployment, SQL Server 2012, Visual Studio 2012, Windows Server 2012, etc. does wonders for the choice and hourly rate of project opportunities. I will let the incurious deal with being salaried, overworked (working overtime for FREE) doing manual tasks with legacy applications. If I walk into a gig that still uses XP, my status stays available and they will soon get a two week notice that I am leaving the project as soon as another project comes along.

Noir
10-25-2012, 10:30 AM
I can't believe how bad the GUI looks.
Like seriously Microsoft...
Windows 7 was (finally) a step in the right direction IMO, and they've gone and replaced it with this mess.

Anton Chigurh
10-25-2012, 10:31 AM
I will let the incurious deal with being salaried, overworked (working overtime for FREE) doing manual tasks with legacy applications.I am none of the above. I am rich and retired.:salute:

Noir
10-25-2012, 11:13 AM
I don't know who this is worse for, existing users, or new users...
Like if they adopt this at my Mums work, all hell's gonna break loose.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qIMuJTrxuhQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

glockmail
10-25-2012, 11:13 AM
They will have to pry my XP Pro out of my cold, dead hands. That's a good version. I have an eight year old machine running it at my cabin. It starts up (usually) within 20 seconds or so and runs autocad 2004 just fine. About every 3-4 starts it fails, requiring a hard restart. But once it's going it just goes.

Thunderknuckles
10-25-2012, 11:37 AM
I will stick with windows 7 as long as I can. I think Microsoft made a big mistake with windows 8.
I have windows 7 iso and will wipe and install that on any new PC I buy.

As for my job, it will be at least a couple of years before any business migrates to 8 so I will be developing software for years to ccome on older versions of windows.

tailfins
10-25-2012, 11:51 AM
I will stick with windows 7 as long as I can. I think Microsoft made a big mistake with windows 8.
I have windows 7 iso and will wipe and install that on any new PC I buy.

As for my job, it will be at least a couple of years before any business migrates to 8 so I will be developing software for years to ccome on older versions of windows.

I see businesses using Windows 7 for desktops and Windows 8 / Server 2012 for virtual machines, especially for associates who work in IT. The latest releases get the most attention from Microsoft in the way of bug fixes and optional tools / features. There will also be consideration for apps to work on an Android, iPad and Windows 8 RT. With support for XP ending in about 18 months, there will be no pressure to test applications for XP.

Do you really think IT people will tolerate not having new features like these?
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/09/windows_server_2012_first_look/

Thunderknuckles
10-25-2012, 12:23 PM
I see businesses using Windows 7 for desktops and Windows 8 / Server 2012 for virtual machines, especially for associates who work in IT. The latest releases get the most attention from Microsoft in the way of bug fixes and optional tools / features. There will also be consideration for apps to work on an Android, iPad and Windows 8 RT. With support for XP ending in about 18 months, there will be no pressure to test applications for XP.

Do you really think IT people will tolerate not having new features like these?
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/09/windows_server_2012_first_look/
Windows server 2012 is another matter. Yes I see it being adopted earlier

Mr. P
10-26-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm going to install it on the kids computers. That gives exposure to the OS without worrying about my current projects becoming inoperable.

Maybe something here will help you.

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=13511&utm_medium=nl&utm_source=totd&utm_content=2012-10-26-article-1-title-a&page=1

tailfins
10-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Maybe something here will help you.

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=13511&utm_medium=nl&utm_source=totd&utm_content=2012-10-26-article-1-title-a&page=1

Two things I noticed so far: It WILL let you install the upgrade from a machine running the pre-release version of Windows 8. It did NOT check to see if XP, Vista or 7 was installed. If you want to see a list of visible apps, you press the window key<windows symbol=""> + Q. This key sequence essentially does what the start button used to do.</windows>

aboutime
10-26-2012, 01:48 PM
NO. I am sticking with Windows 7. I would prefer to still have Windows XP. It seemed much more comfortable to use, even more than Windows 7.

Windows 8 appears to be somewhat of a trick, in many ways to force everyone to either Upgrade, or they will eventually lose their Microsoft upgrades. Much like they ended the XP upgrades.

This is called being between that ROCK and the HARD PLACE...until Microsoft makes their Billions again.

In other words. Unless we use APPLE as an alternative. We're eventually 4021

tailfins
10-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Here's the latest on my Windows 8 saga. My kids two computers did fine. I waited until evening to upgrade my wife's computer. Microsoft's transaction system crashed, put three pending transactions on my credit card and gave me no product. Granted, each pending transaction was only $14.99, but still annoying. I wonder if this crash will soon become a news story.

jafar00
10-26-2012, 10:11 PM
I have windows 7 on my games machine, and unless there is compelling evidence that windows 8 would improve games performance, I will keep windows 7.

My other PCs, including my office all run Ubuntu Linux which has it's own funky interface.

I think Windows 8 will have a shaky start as I find users are resistant to change.

When I introduced Linux as an alternative to my office about 3 years ago, Ubuntu wasn't that much different to the windows desktop people were used to, except the "Start" button was at the top. This proved confusing for my staff so I moved the whole "start" bar to the bottom of the screen like windows. Then this wasn't enough, because it still looked different (sigh...). It wasn't until I put a windows XP theme on the PCs that it became more accepted and familiar since for normal work applications, it wasn't that different.

I can see windows 7 themes coming out for windows 8 in the near future as users look for the familiar experience again.

Mr. P
10-26-2012, 11:31 PM
From what I've seen.....My gut says 8 is a fail. We'll see. I'll stick with 7 until I am forced to change then maybe I'll go Mac cuz I'm tired of this new improved better crap that isn't, until it changes again. Just sayin

KarlMarx
10-27-2012, 05:45 AM
I can't believe how bad the GUI looks.
Like seriously Microsoft...
Windows 7 was (finally) a step in the right direction IMO, and they've gone and replaced it with this mess.

I never upgrade to a new operating system unless there is at least one service pack release. Early adapters always have the headaches.

I had to "upgrade" from Windows XP to Windows 7 at work... for the first time in my life I seriously considered using an Apple computer.

I'm sick of Microsoft, I hear nothing but good things about Apple from Apple users, few viruses... the only thing I don't like about Apple is the price.

Noir
10-27-2012, 06:31 AM
I never upgrade to a new operating system unless there is at least one service pack release. Early adapters always have the headaches.

I had to "upgrade" from Windows XP to Windows 7 at work... for the first time in my life I seriously considered using an Apple computer.

I'm sick of Microsoft, I hear nothing but good things about Apple from Apple users, few viruses... the only thing I don't like about Apple is the price.

I went Apple back in 2009, and i doubt i'm ever going back. I also upgraded to 10.7 (Lion) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion) on the days they were released and had no problems. (though i know a few users who had wifi-drop issues with 10.7)

As i posted earlier Windows 7 wasn't half bad, because of which i bought the OS and installed it on a partition on my mac, but this windows 8 nonsense is going burry Microsoft.

The idea that they may of made an OS worse than Vista is staggering.

tailfins
10-27-2012, 07:12 AM
I went Apple back in 2009, and i doubt i'm ever going back. I also upgraded to 10.7 (Lion) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion) on the days they were released and had no problems. (though i know a few users who had wifi-drop issues with 10.7)

As i posted earlier Windows 7 wasn't half bad, because of which i bought the OS and installed it on a partition on my mac, but this windows 8 nonsense is going burry Microsoft.

Windows 8 isn't "broken" like Vista. The UI is one that IT people will laugh as they watch mere mortals try it use it though. Windows 8 is going to leave lots of angry people in its wake. What I'm curious to see is how much behavior modification can be crammed down peoples throat. Its almost if some geek that got a wedgie in high school designed an OS for geeks to get revenge on non-technical people.

jafar00
10-27-2012, 09:22 PM

I wouldn't go Apple again. I grabbed a mac in my office off the desk of one of the designers who left. Installed a fresh copy of 10.7 on it. After 2 weeks, I was chasing a hacker around who stole passwords etc for my IM accounts and was using them to try and scam my friends and colleagues.

Never again....