PDA

View Full Version : ok correct me if I'm wrong but.....

Trinity
10-25-2012, 06:15 PM
don't you typically have to commit a crime of some sort, to be arrested and charged with a crime?

Maybe I am missing something here, but he never actually pursued anything just talked about it and had info on his computer about.... ok weird and not normal types of things....but.....that's not a crime is it?..... and his "estranged" wife turned him in.

NYC officer arrested in ghoulish kidnap plot
NEW YORK (AP) — A city police officer was charged Thursday with leading a ghoulish double life by using a law enforcement database and fetish chat rooms to dream up a plot to torture women and then cook and eat their body parts.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/NYC-officer-arrested-in-ghoulish-kidnap-plot-3981209.php#ixzz2AM6E5300

see it's the whole dream up plot thing that bugs me.....there are lots of writers that really get into their stories and try to gather as much info as possible for their story.

Missileman
10-25-2012, 06:21 PM
don't you typically have to commit a crime of some sort, to be arrested and charged with a crime?

Maybe I am missing something here, but he never actually pursued anything just talked about it and had info on his computer about.... ok weird and not normal types of things....but.....that's not a crime is it?..... and his "estranged" wife turned him in.

NYC officer arrested in ghoulish kidnap plot

NEW YORK (AP) — A city police officer was charged Thursday with leading a ghoulish double life by using a law enforcement database and fetish chat rooms to dream up a plot to torture women and then cook and eat their body parts.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/NYC-officer-arrested-in-ghoulish-kidnap-plot-3981209.php#ixzz2AM6E5300

see it's the whole dream up plot thing that bugs me.....there are lots of writers that really get into their stories and try to gather as much info as possible for their story.

He was charged with conspiracy to kidnap and unauthorized use of police database. Having read the article, it sounds very much like a couple women's lives were saved by the arrest.

Trinity
10-25-2012, 06:25 PM
This was the first story I came across and I guess this is what made me go WHAT?

"Public defender Julia Gatto had asked for bail, saying the alleged plot was "fantasy in a sexual world." She said it was a deviant fantasy and there was no crossing of the line from fantasy to reality.
A prosecutor disagreed, saying the Valle had to be arrested because he was too close to carrying out the plot."

http://www.local12.com/news/national/story/NYC-police-officer-arrested-in-gory-kidnap-plot/P03rBSg7L0mEBPf3QxDwGw.cspx

So the prosecutor is a mind reader and knows without a doubt this man was going to carry out his plans......see my dilemma here?

aboutime
10-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Nothing unusual, or unconstitutional happened. The man unlawfully used a police database to find victims.

End of story.

Kathianne
10-25-2012, 06:29 PM
He was charged with conspiracy to kidnap and unauthorized use of police database. Having read the article, it sounds very much like a couple women's lives were saved by the arrest.

I agree. Seems to me they have enough to hold a trial.

Missileman
10-25-2012, 06:31 PM
This was the first story I came across and I guess this is what made me go WHAT?

"Public defender Julia Gatto had asked for bail, saying the alleged plot was "fantasy in a sexual world." She said it was a deviant fantasy and there was no crossing of the line from fantasy to reality.
A prosecutor disagreed, saying the Valle had to be arrested because he was too close to carrying out the plot."

http://www.local12.com/news/national/story/NYC-police-officer-arrested-in-gory-kidnap-plot/P03rBSg7L0mEBPf3QxDwGw.cspx

So the prosecutor is a mind reader and knows without a doubt this man was going to carry out his plans......see my dilemma here?

Read the article you linked in OP...he was engaged in more than fantasy...that suggestion was pure defense attorney BS.

Trinity
10-25-2012, 06:31 PM
I agree with the unauthorized use of police database...it's the rest of it that bugs me.

mundame
10-25-2012, 06:33 PM
He had actually sought out and met some of his proposed victims; he had lunch with one of them.

He was active on a online singles site and included prospects he met there in his torture-cook-eat plans -- he was a married man with a child, so he didn't have an innocent reason for meeting women on that site.

His wife found this stuff on his computer and immediately fled the city with her kid and called the police when she was safe.

He's crazy as a hoot owl and needs to be locked in a psychiatric facility.

glockmail
10-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Trinity has a point. I wouldn't want to see what's on Steven King's computer.