PDA

View Full Version : This gives new meaning to "Sandy Hook, New Jersey"

tailfins
10-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Wouldn't it be ironic if it really did make landfall in Sandy Hook?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/AL1812W5.gif

fj1200
10-26-2012, 07:17 AM
I've hit a couple like that. I believe there was a duck involved though.

tailfins
10-26-2012, 07:19 AM
I've hit a couple like that. I believe there was a duck involved though.

What does a duck do in a hurricane?

fj1200
10-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Dunno, what does a duck do in a hurricane?

mundame
10-26-2012, 08:37 AM

He ducks, of course.

But back to the hurricane.....

You see it's projected to run up the Delaware River into Philadelphia. The worse danger (well, to some of us) is that it "threads the needle." That's a rare situation when a hurricane moves up the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and then recovers strength on the considerable body of water that is the Bay. Hurricanes die over land, but live over big bodies of water.

I can remember one doing that many years ago, Hurricane David, and we were house-hunting in the flood zone right after. The house I'm in now had a water line four feet up in the cellar, but we are on high ground and it's never flooded since!

So I hope that doesn't happen this time......

fj1200
10-26-2012, 08:49 AM
... a hurricane moves up the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and then recovers strength on the considerable body of water that is the Bay.

I'm dubious that your "wide river" :poke: is enough for a hurricane to gain strength, the problem is if it moves up the river it magnifies the storm surge especially if it were to do so at high tide.

mundame
10-26-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm dubious that your "wide river" :poke: is enough for a hurricane to gain strength, the problem is if it moves up the river it magnifies the storm surge especially if it were to do so at high tide.

It's not a wide river, it's a huge bay much too wide to see across. Hurricanes can and have "threaded the needle," and cause a lot of destruction when they do.

We by the Bay prefer our hurricanes to come over land, weakened by the Eastern Shore penninsula. Usually, that's what they do.

fj1200
10-26-2012, 09:42 AM
It's not a wide river, it's a huge bay much too wide to see across. Hurricanes can and have "threaded the needle," and cause a lot of destruction when they do.

We by the Bay prefer our hurricanes to come over land, weakened by the Eastern Shore penninsula. Usually, that's what they do.

To a hurricane my bet is on wide river. Regardless of bay or not, land is better to reduce storm surge.

aboutime
10-26-2012, 02:28 PM

In a hurricane, everybody knows a duck QUACKS UP!4022

jimnyc
10-26-2012, 02:35 PM
This will be the best test to date as to whether or not the money we invested around or home works. We flood with good sized rain storms, so we had a massive well installed and drainage pipes around all 4 sides of the house. This pushes the water into a secondary well where we have 2 industrial pumps which send the water down the road to the sewer system. We've been flood free since then, but haven't experienced anything the size of what this is going to bring. We're expecting very high winds and an awful lot of rain. I believe it's supposed to start raining on Sunday and continue till like Wednesday.

mundame
10-26-2012, 02:41 PM
This will be the best test to date as to whether or not the money we invested around or home works. We flood with good sized rain storms, so we had a massive well installed and drainage pipes around all 4 sides of the house. This pushes the water into a secondary well where we have 2 industrial pumps which send the water down the road to the sewer system. We've been flood free since then, but haven't experienced anything the size of what this is going to bring. We're expecting very high winds and an awful lot of rain. I believe it's supposed to start raining on Sunday and continue till like Wednesday.

My husband loves disaster preparation stuff. I'll tell him what you've done. Sounds good.

He has a large generator now and wants to get a big one hard-wired into the house wiring next year, that you just throw a switch. Apparently people talk about that on the home improvement lists. I think it tends to suggest a certain pessimism that public services will hold up....

I must say, we've had more outages than we used to in the last few years. I now expect it and am planning to start cooking Sunday so we'll have cooked food and don't have to depend on the microwave -- I think some little roast chickens and a meatloaf and so on and some baking, pies and cakes. Then we can eat cold or warmed up food. We have the refrigerators on generator.

aboutime
10-26-2012, 02:44 PM

jimnyc. I hope everyone who will feel the winds, and excessive amounts of rain is prepared for this one. They are calling it a NorEaster which has the potential to do much damage wherever it touches.

So. We must all be prepared to lose POWER in a major way, and DO NOT USE ANYTHING inside your house, or garage that emits Smoke or heat....as some people always seem to think...they can do. Until they burn their home down, or kill their family with CARBON MONOXIDE from the exhaust fumes.

We live within 2 miles of the Atlantic, and luckily. We are well above 25 feet of sea level due to planning that occurred back in the early EIGHTIES when our homes were build, according to FLOOD PLAIN planning.
We do expect to lose our Electricity...possibly Saturday, when the expected winds reach above the 72 MPH, or Hurricane levels for several hours.
Problem is. This storm is expected to affect SIXTY MILLION people, all along the East Coast, from North Carolina to Maine.

Everybody stay safe. THINK before you try to be smart, and fool MOTHER NATURE. Most deaths occur due to DROWNING.

jimnyc
10-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I just read one story which said this could be the worst we've seen since 1938 when a ton of people were killed in Long Island, and another calling it a storm of "Biblical proportions". I don't think it'll be all that bad from what I read at various weather sites, but it can still do a ton of damage, and take out power for days.

And the generator Mundame mentioned is our only outstanding issue. The pumps we have are tied into their very own circuit, but they are useless if we lose power. We need a generator installed to run the system should power be lost.

Cross your fingers, we'll need it! And if the house floods again, I'm moving! LOL Well, I know if we lose power my ass is going directly to a hotel, while the house can float away for all I care!

mundame
10-26-2012, 02:55 PM
And the generator Mundame mentioned is our only outstanding issue. The pumps we have are tied into their very own circuit, but they are useless if we lose power. We need a generator installed to run the system should power be lost.

He has it wired now so we can plug in things we need on a rotation. Freezers/refrigerators need it most, and if needed, microwave, computer, TV. It's a big generator, but it can't run everything and isn't hardwired. But it's kept us going through a lot of outages for some years. He keeps topped up with gas, because if the power goes BAD, the gas pumps don't work.

aboutime
10-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I just read one story which said this could be the worst we've seen since 1938 when a ton of people were killed in Long Island, and another calling it a storm of "Biblical proportions". I don't think it'll be all that bad from what I read at various weather sites, but it can still do a ton of damage, and take out power for days.

Cross your fingers, we'll need it! And if the house floods again, I'm moving! LOL Well, I know if we lose power my ass is going directly to a hotel, while the house can float away for all I care!

jimnyc: Many years ago. Before, and after I retired and I was still physically able. I worried about being in the track of future hurricanes. So. I set to work and removed 11 Pine tree's that surrounded our home. I did it alone, and managed to break two ribs in the process on the very last tree.
But. I can only imagine how stressed I would be today. Knowing Sandy is coming up the coast..had I not cut those 50 to 75 foot tall trees down?????

I do hope everyone stays safe. Follows local instructions, and is prepared to sit it out...without power for several days.
Remember. If you don't live in a heavily populated area and you lose power. The Power companies always work on the NUMBER OF PEOPLE affected, rather than the Easiest sites to restore. And it looks like Washington, Baltimore, Wilmington DE. Philly, New York, and Boston are all FIRST.

WiccanLiberal
10-31-2012, 12:15 PM
V4R and I got out Monday morning and it was a near thing. Poor dog had to swim for the car parked two blocks away. Animals are in one shelter and we are in the human one next door. Got online for a few at a local Dunkin donuts as shelter has no wifi. No power, water or gas at the house right now. Stay dry folks
WiccanLiberal

Abbey Marie
10-31-2012, 05:05 PM

Jim, how would you say the drainage worked? Btw, if your electricity fails, can you keep the pumps going with a generator?

ETA: Just saw your post #13. Ouch! How did you fare drainage-wise, since you did lose power?

Abbey Marie
10-31-2012, 05:05 PM
V4R and I got out Monday morning and it was a near thing. Poor dog had to swim for the car parked two blocks away. Animals are in one shelter and we are in the human one next door. Got online for a few at a local Dunkin donuts as shelter has no wifi. No power, water or gas at the house right now. Stay dry folks
WiccanLiberal

Are you all ok? Your home?

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Jim, how would you say the drainage worked? Btw, if your electricity fails, can you keep the pumps going with a generator?

ETA: Just saw your post #13. Ouch! How did you fare drainage-wise, since you did lose power?

We got VERY lucky. We didn't get the expected rainfall, so we were fine without the pumps. We don't yet have a generator, not even a portable one. We are due to get a monster one installed, that will power everything we need in instances like this, but we delayed it like dopes. Not only will we have that soon, and the pumps connected to it as well - once things clear up I will be getting a nice portable one for emergencies as well. Home Depot, Lowes, Costco, BJ's and every hardware store sold out in hours.

Abbey Marie
10-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Sounds like a good plan.

I am hoping my husband will buy a generator, and pay to remove the biggest tree up the hill out back. I REALLY don't want to worry about it falling on us next timethere is a big storm.

Anyone have experience removing a VERY BIG tree? I am thinking the cost will be huge.
I estimate this oak (I think) to be about 4 ft in diameter, and about 60 ft. tall?

Robert A Whit
10-31-2012, 05:44 PM

Did your celler flood this time Jim?

Robert A Whit
10-31-2012, 05:48 PM
Sounds like a good plan.

I am hoping my husband will buy a generator, and pay to remove the biggest tree up the hiil out back. I REALLY don't want to worry about it falling on us next timethere is a big storm.

Anyone have experience removing a VERY BIG tree? I am thinking the cost will be huge.
I estimate this oak (I think) to be about 4 ft in diameter, and about 60 ft. tall?

That is a great idea. I would have a professional check the tree first with the aim of saving the tree but saving property by lopping off bad limbs.

My son in law has a huge tree too that I believe he plans to remove for similar reasons. We don't get hurricanes here.

I hear the cost can be well over a thousand dollars since a lot of time is needed to remove it. Oak makes great firewood so perhaps you can donate it to a seller of such wood. Get a firewood seller to take it down. Just saying.

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Did your celler flood this time Jim?

Nope, we didn't get the rain we expected. And without power to our pumps, it's a good thing! And it's a good thing we don't live a 1/2 mile closer to the coast as the pumps wouldn't have helped there either!

Robert A Whit
10-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Nope, we didn't get the rain we expected. And without power to our pumps, it's a good thing! And it's a good thing we don't live a 1/2 mile closer to the coast as the pumps wouldn't have helped there either!

I saw after I asked, and just now in a post higher up you had said you came out fine.

Thanks.

Also, can you reconsider the other thing? I would appreciate it a lot. What I mean is in PM of course.

aboutime
11-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Sounds like a good plan.

I am hoping my husband will buy a generator, and pay to remove the biggest tree up the hiil out back. I REALLY don't want to worry about it falling on us next timethere is a big storm.

Abbey. Sorry for taking so long to respond to this, and your questions. You may have a very long wait before getting someone to cut your tree down. They are going to be very busy for months...considering the conditions up there in the clean-up.

Personal experience, with my neighbor and I asking about a 75 foot pine, also about 4 ft in diameter. Two estimates last year for that tree both amounted to around 1,000 dollars. Or, for a Topping...as they called it. Cutting off the most hazardous, hanging branches was about 700 dollars. That's here in Virginia.
Can't speak for what it might be up your way today.

WiccanLiberal
11-04-2012, 05:02 PM
V4R and I are still shelter refugees. Going to talk to the FEMA rep at the house tomorrow. Back at Dunkin Donuts right now as we can get wifi here, then going to eat something.

aboutime
11-04-2012, 05:09 PM
V4R and I are still shelter refugees. Going to talk to the FEMA rep at the house tomorrow. Back at Dunkin Donuts right now as we can get wifi here, then going to eat something.

Bless both of you. Wish there was something I could personally do to help. Being too far away, and limited as I am. Just know. Many of us are Praying for both of you.

There, but for the grace of God...Go ALL OF US.

Stay safe. Better days are coming. Honestly they are.

WiccanLiberal
11-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Bless both of you. Wish there was something I could personally do to help. Being too far away, and limited as I am. Just know. Many of us are Praying for both of you.

There, but for the grace of God...Go ALL OF US.

Stay safe. Better days are coming. Honestly they are.

Gotta believe that my friend. Things do go in cycles. Hopefully we have hit the bottom of this one.