PDA

View Full Version : If you find it in your heart

Abbey Marie
10-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Please say a prayer for us. The hurricane is on a pretty direct path to our house, and we live right below woods with lots of very big trees. :(

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Please say a prayer for us. The hurricane is on a pretty direct path to our house, and we live right below woods with lots of very big trees. :(

I hope you took adequate precautionary measures? If you have a basement , go there and have it stocked with food , water ,blankets and medical kit just in case...-Tyr

red states rule
10-27-2012, 02:32 PM
I am in the same boat with you Abbey. The latest forecast is calling for about 5 to 7 inches of rain, and about 36 hours of 40 MPH winds here

I have stocked up on water, and food that does not need to be heated

I will park my car on the other side of the house away from a huge tree. However if it goes it will end up in my iiving room

Monday night and Tuesday are to be the worst days, and I hope you and family make it OK

Abbey Marie
10-27-2012, 02:53 PM
I hope you took adequate precautionary measures? If you have a basement , go there and have it stocked with food , water ,blankets and medical kit just in case...-Tyr

We've done what we can (water, flashlights, batteries, radio, canned food, PB&J, etc.,) but there is unfortunately no way to move the house or the trees. I just wish they weren't so massive and so right above us.

Abbey Marie
10-27-2012, 02:57 PM
I am in the same boat with you Abbey. The latest forecast is calling for about 5 to 7 inches of rain, and about 36 hours of 40 MPH winds here

I have stocked up on water, and food that does not need to be heated

I will park my car on the other side of the house away from a huge tree. However if it goes it will end up in my iiving room

Monday night and Tuesday are to be the worst days, and I hope you and family make it OK

Yeah, T, I think we are really in for it this time. Remember how we just didn't have weather emergencies in the Delaware Valley, other than the occasional snow storm?

I forgot to also mention that parts of our first floor can flood when the rain is heavy and sustained. We have no basement. I need Valium! Since I don't have that, we bought lots of wine.

aboutime
10-27-2012, 02:58 PM

Abbey. You can depend on it. Meanwhile. We are also closer to the beach, and the rising tides, backed by heavier winds in the path of Patty as well.

We are going to get a huge amount of rain, and the heavier winds are on the RIGHT....Eastern side of the storm, that are expected to diminish slightly, once landfall takes place in Delaware/Maryland, and Chessy Bay.

I do believe. Our biggest threats...other than flooding of low lying area's will be the loss of Electricity IF...the storm stays as strong, and that Winter Front with SNOW combines to create that Perfect Nor-Easter they are talking about.

It may soon be too late to prepare. Stocking up should have been done by now. If not. DO IT.

Those tree's should Hold up if they are Pines. Normally pine has very deeper, stronger root systems that go deep in clay, and sand.

Generally. Pines break off, but rarely fall like Maple, Oak, and other strong hard woods.

The Prayers are here. Stay strong, and positive. That's how Life works for all of us.

Abbey Marie
10-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Abbey. You can depend on it. Meanwhile. We are also closer to the beach, and the rising tides, backed by heavier winds in the path of Patty as well.

We are going to get a huge amount of rain, and the heavier winds are on the RIGHT....Eastern side of the storm, that are expected to diminish slightly, once landfall takes place in Delaware/Maryland, and Chessy Bay.

I do believe. Our biggest threats...other than flooding of low lying area's will be the loss of Electricity IF...the storm stays as strong, and that Winter Front with SNOW combines to create that Perfect Nor-Easter they are talking about.

It may soon be too late to prepare. Stocking up should have been done by now. If not. DO IT.

Those tree's should Hold up if they are Pines. Normally pine has very deeper, stronger root systems that go deep in clay, and sand.

Generally. Pines break off, but rarely fall like Maple, Oak, and other strong hard woods.

The Prayers are here. Stay strong, and positive. That's how Life works for all of us.

Thank you! I will pray for you, too.

No pines. All oaks and such. Mighty oaks. :(

Robert A Whit
10-27-2012, 03:02 PM

My prayer is that you get in your car and drive in the other direction from the hurricane.

Nothing you do can stop the storm but your good sense can be that you bail out.

I pray you are safe.

aboutime
10-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Thank you! I will pray for you, too.

No pines. All oaks and such. Mighty oaks. :(

Oaks are strong. I just realized you are North of me here in Virginia, at the Beach.

Oaks are called MIGHTY for a reason. And since you live in the North, or farther North than where we have SAND, and shallow Clay. I do think...unless you have lightning storms with high winds. Those tree's you are looking at...HAVE BEEN THERE A LONG, LONG TIME.

Stay safe. Stay positive...forget the VALIUM. You need to be awake, and sharp...not OBLIVIOUS, or DRUNK.

God Bless.

red states rule
10-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Yeah, T, I think we are really in for it this time. Remember how we just didn't have weather emergencies in the Delaware Valley, other than the occasional snow storm?

I forgot to also mention that parts of our first floor can flood when the rain is heavy and sustained. We have no basement. I need Valium! Since I don't have that, we bought lots of wine.

Abbey, as always you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers

I have renters and flood ins and everything I have can be replaced. My only concern if for my cats

The forcast does not llok all that bad right now, and I hope the storm is not that bad for you Abbey

Mon Oct 29http://s.imwx.com/v.20120328.084156/img/wxicon/100/40.png 49°
42°
Heavy Rain / Wind

<dl><dt>Chance of rain:</dt><dd>100%</dd></dl><dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> N at 32 mph </dd></dl>Details (http://www.debatepolicy.com/weather/wxdetail2/USMD0195)

Tue Oct 30http://s.imwx.com/v.20120328.084156/img/wxicon/100/12.png 44°
42°
Rain / Wind
Tropical storm conditions likely

<dl><dt>Chance of rain:</dt><dd>80%</dd></dl><dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> WNW at 25 mph </dd></dl>Details (http://www.debatepolicy.com/weather/wxdetail3/USMD0195)

Wed Oct 31http://s.imwx.com/v.20120328.084156/img/wxicon/100/11.png 47°
42°
Few Showers / Wind

<dl><dt>Chance of rain:</dt><dd>30%</dd></dl><dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> W at 22 mph </dd></dl>Details (http://www.debatepolicy.com/weather/wxdetail4/USMD0195)

10-27-2012, 03:15 PM
I Blame Bush!!
Always causing hurricanes that Bush Is!!

Abbey Marie
10-27-2012, 03:21 PM
I hope we can avoid making this thread political/divisive.

Robert A Whit
10-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Abbey

If your max winds are no more than 40 mph, you should do fine. Can you get somebody up in those trees to study the branches to see if a weaker one might be cut off now and gently lowered to the ground?

Abbey Marie
10-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Abbey

If your max winds are no more than 40 mph, you should do fine. Can you get somebody up in those trees to study the branches to see if a weaker one might be cut off now and gently lowered to the ground?

I don't think so. There are so many trees. And the last time my husband cut off a limb, it bounced up and gave him a concussion. But thanks for the excellent suggestion.
:beer:

Robert A Whit
10-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I don't think so. There are so many trees. And the last time my husband cut off a limb, it bounced up and gave him a concussion. But thanks for the excellent suggestion.
:beer:

What is in your favor is that Oak trees are a hardwood. Unless one happens to be rotted and about to fall, those low speed winds ought not to damage any branches. 40 mph winds may not be fun but at least they are not in the 80 -100 scope and at those ultra speeds, bad things happen. :beer:

10-27-2012, 04:21 PM
I hope we can avoid making this thread political/divisive.
All hurricanes are politically devisive!!

red states rule
10-27-2012, 04:25 PM

People are worried what this storm will do to their property - can you please STFU if you cannot stay on topic?

aboutime
10-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I Blame Bush!!
Always causing hurricanes that Bush Is!!

007. Please remember that on topics like this. Children are still expected to be seen, and not heard.

jimnyc
10-27-2012, 04:45 PM

That's the last comment about politics, this thread isn't even in the political section of the board. If you can't participate properly and respectfully here, then go away.

jimnyc
10-27-2012, 04:49 PM

You got it, Abs! Seems a bunch of us are in a similar boat. Here's a photo I found on the latest, and we're dead center in the severe zone, being just north of NYC. We have about a 100ft tree hovering over my driveway, and truck... but birds shit on my truck all the time and leaves are forever covering it. I hope it falls AND takes out my truck! I can finally get rid of that tree and get me a newer truck! :)

Seriously though, everyone in the area will be in my thoughts and hopefully our power lines and houses will hold up! I filled up with gas, got the flashlights and candles ready, got plenty of canned food ready and emptied our basement, minus the hot water heater and HVAC unit that we lose both of every time!

http://i.imgur.com/WBqJW.jpg

Gaffer
10-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Actually, a lot of big trees will help reduce the wind. Only dead or weak branches will break. The thing to worry about most is the loss of power which could last for a long time. That's what you need to be prepared for the most. Some storm damage like shingles and such can be expected, along with flooding unless it turns into a snow storm.

Good luck to you all. I'll be keeping tabs on the news starting Monday. Expect we will get the far edge of it here in Ohio but nothing close to what you all will get.

aboutime
10-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Actually, a lot of big trees will help reduce the wind. Only dead or weak branches will break. The thing to worry about most is the loss of power which could last for a long time. That's what you need to be prepared for the most. Some storm damage like shingles and such can be expected, along with flooding unless it turns into a snow storm.

Good luck to you all. I'll be keeping tabs on the news starting Monday. Expect we will get the far edge of it here in Ohio but nothing close to what you all will get.

We are feeling the early gusts that last ten or so minutes, then calm down while it rains...THOSE CATS and DOGS everybody talks about.

We are high enough that many of our streets flood at high tide, or during surges. While others nearest the beach require canoe's or Jet Ski's. It's normal for heavy rain to make roads impassable here. Part of living near the beach.

Stay safe everyone. Listen to the news...and do what they tell you to do.

jimnyc
10-27-2012, 07:38 PM
I hope these kinds of stories are inaccurate. I've read about the storm that hit the NY area in 1938, but it's just something you imagine what it was like and can't imagine it happening again. Hopefully it wont.

Meteorologist: Storm Could Be Bigger Than Worst East Coast Storm On Record That Killed 800

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/10/27/meteorologist-storm-could-be-bigger-than-worst-east-coast-storm-on-record-that-killed-800/

aboutime
10-27-2012, 07:43 PM
I hope these kinds of stories are inaccurate. I've read about the storm that hit the NY area in 1938, but it's just something you imagine what it was like and can't imagine it happening again. Hopefully it wont.

Meteorologist: Storm Could Be Bigger Than Worst East Coast Storm On Record That Killed 800

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/10/27/meteorologist-storm-could-be-bigger-than-worst-east-coast-storm-on-record-that-killed-800/

jimnyc: It doesn't have to be that dangerous IF...people pay attention, and don't blow it off as just another SCARE.

We see it almost every year. People have been conditioned to prepare, obey the warnings, and suddenly. The storm doesn't do what the predictions called for. So naturally. People become Complacent, and tend to ignore the dangers...even to the point of having an excuse to HAVE A PARTY, called Hurricane Parties....where past records show...The highest number of Storm Related deaths occur.

Voted4Reagan
10-27-2012, 08:12 PM
our weather forecast: Freeport, ny 11520

* winds... Northeast increasing to 30 to 40 mph with gusts 50 to 60 mph monday morning... Becoming east 40 to 55 mph with gusts 70 to 80 mph monday afternoon and evening... Then becoming southeast 35 to 45 mph with gusts 50 to 60 mph late monday night into tuesday.

.. High surf advisory in effect from 7 pm sunday to 6 pm edt tuesday... ... Coastal flood warning in effect from 6 am monday to 3 pm edt tuesday...
the national weather service in upton has issued a coastal flood warning... Which is in effect from 6 am monday to 3 pm edt tuesday. A high surf advisory has also been issued. This high surf advisory is in effect from 7 pm sunday to 6 pm edt tuesday.
* locations... Coastlines of long island sound... The southern and eastern shores of long island... Portions of new york harbor... And tidal portions of the hudson and connecticut rivers.
* tidal departures... 1 to 1 1/2 ft above astronomical tides sunday night... 2 to 4 ft above astronomical tides monday morning... And potential for 4 to 8 ft surge monday night into tuesday morning.
* high surf and beach erosion... Breaking waves are expected to build to 15 to 20 ft along ocean facing shorelines by late monday into monday night. At the same time... 5 to 8 ft waves are possible along exposed eastern and northeastern facing portions of long island sound... Peconic bay... And new york harbor. This is expected to cause major beach erosion and localized washovers.

Kathianne
10-28-2012, 12:12 AM
My prayer is that you get in your car and drive in the other direction from the hurricane.

Nothing you do can stop the storm but your good sense can be that you bail out.

I pray you are safe.

I agree. Make sure the insurance is replacement value and paid up. Then evacuate. Come to Chicago Abbey, we'll do the museums for a couple days!

Kathianne
10-28-2012, 12:22 AM
What is in your favor is that Oak trees are a hardwood. Unless one happens to be rotted and about to fall, those low speed winds ought not to damage any branches. 40 mph winds may not be fun but at least they are not in the 80 -100 scope and at those ultra speeds, bad things happen. :beer:

Coming from Chicago, winds under 65 mph don't bother me much. We tend to watch our trees carefully, if they are dead, they are gone! We have winds over 50 mph a couple times, most months. We also have lots of hardwoods, oaks, elms, maples, etc. If they aren't healthy? The fall somewhere and are heard.

However, if winds get over 70mph, another story. All depends on the soil at that point, even for healthy trees. Hurricanes, like tornadoes do not care about healthy and sick.

IMO, if there is a possibility of being at the center or close to center of storm, take what is valuable and evacuate. I'm so glad my parents did so when the worst hit. I'll admit that they had the wherewithal, but when it looked like they 'might be' hit, they'd head for Atlanta from Vero. When the reports said they might take the brunt of it, they headed to Chicago. They had someone check after the storm, if 'bad' they'd stay here and get repairs done there. If they were lucky, they'd head home when ready.

SassyLady
10-28-2012, 02:09 AM
I am praying for all of you .... and hope everyone has flood insurance.

Robert A Whit
10-28-2012, 02:14 AM
Generators that can be hooked up to your home are available. We don't get those kind of storms yet a pal of mine installed a Generator to power his home up the street in the event something like an earthquake took out his power. His wife needed electric for her medical condition.

He had somebody install it and by flipping the switch and starting the generator, he had power.

Just a thought.

red states rule
10-28-2012, 04:03 AM
A high wind warning has been issued for my area

HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON MONDAY TO 8 PM EDT TUESDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS ISSUED A HIGH WIND WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON MONDAY TO 8 PM EDT TUESDAY. THE HIGH WIND WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TIMING... WIND GUSTS OVER 45 MPH ARE EXPECTED TO OVERSPREAD THE AREA AFTER NOON MONDAY. WIND GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH ARE EXPECTED MONDAY EVENING INTO TUESDAY... PARTICULARLY ALONG THE RIDGES.

* IMPACTS... A PROLONGED 24-TO-36 HOUR HIGH WIND EVENT WILL TAKE PLACE ACROSS THE WARNING AREA. COUPLED WITH HEAVY RAINS FROM SANDY... THE HIGH WINDS WILL LEAD TO SIGNIFICANT TREE DAMAGE. RESIDENTS... VISITORS... AND BUSINESSES ACROSS THE REGION SHOULD PLAN FOR WIDESPREAD POWER AND COMMUNICATION OUTAGES

WiccanLiberal
10-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Right now we have furniture up on cinderblocks. And I am no help as I just had me right carpal tunnel done yesterday so big honking bandage on my arm. Here's hoping we all get through fine
WiccanLiberal

red states rule
10-28-2012, 10:31 AM
The rain started here about 30 min ago and a flood watch has been issued

red states rule
10-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Right now we have furniture up on cinderblocks. And I am no help as I just had me right carpal tunnel done yesterday so big honking bandage on my arm. Here's hoping we all get through fine
WiccanLiberal

Take care - you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers

mundame
10-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Abbey

Might not be a good time to do that.....reminds me of my husband and son-in-law up on the roof together making emergency repairs while a hurricane whirled in, getting darker and darker.

Abbey, good luck to you!

We're in the projected path, too, but you are closer to the eye of the hurricane itself, I think.

Drummond
10-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Hi - just adding my best wishes to everyone threatened by this hurricane. I shall say prayers myself for your safety.

At least you have one good advantage .. ample warning of what may come your way. That must be worth its 'weight in gold' ..

We in the UK rarely know storms like that, though we had a couple some years ago that came close to being hurricanes. The one we did have, which DID reach hurricane speed, was the Great Storm of 1987 (15th October). It was memorable for the idiot assurance we had from a certain Michael Fish, a weatherman who went on air (yes, on the BBC) to assure us all we were not going to face a hurricane .. and just hours later, that's exactly what we had .. !!!

But my best to you all - stay safe. And please, 007, can you stifle all the nonsense ?

Abbey Marie
10-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Might not be a good time to do that.....reminds me of my husband and son-in-law up on the roof together making emergency repairs while a hurricane whirled in, getting darker and darker.

Abbey, good luck to you!

We're in the projected path, too, but you are closer to the eye of the hurricane itself, I think.

The last track I saw on a local station has it coming directly over where we live just after it hits the Jersey shore.

I just packed up some of my most treasured pictures, etc., in a plastic bin, and I packed a bag of clothing and other essentials. Just in case. But my hope is that I just get to complain about unpacking it all and putting it away Wednesday.

hjmick
10-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Hang in there folks. Be prepared to bail if necessary, and be prepared to be with out electricity for a few days, it's not too late to pick up a generator...

We were spared here in SC, this time...

They say that hurricanes are the most destructive force of nature on the planet. Having gone through a couple while living in Texas, I believe it.

I'll be thinking about you all (Not a praying man), and hope you all stay safe.

Voted4Reagan
10-28-2012, 03:04 PM
What Wiccan Liberal just told me is very disturbing.... My boss told her he saw a few guys in a truck casing houses on our block and taking pictures of them... when confronted they got in a truck and drove off...

If there is any looting they should be aware that I WILL FIRE ON THEM and deal with the ramifications later..

Sad that I had to Lock and load but this is what happens.... I just didnt imagine it was going to be this soon...

mundame
10-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Hang in there folks. Be prepared to bail if necessary, and be prepared to be with out electricity for a few days, it's not too late to pick up a generator...

I fear it is much too late to get a generator.

YESTERDAY my husband talked to a local man who went to get a generator at Home Depot -----

They were sold out of all 52 that they had.

Robert A Whit
10-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Our weather is warm. This past week, the SF Bay area got some rain but in my part of the South Bay, the rain was very light. I was out in short sleeves yesterday taking care of my car and it was pretty warm. Sweat was running into my eyes. I just checked outdoors and it is just right. I plan to take a long walk. Not a cloud in the sky.

I wish some of you had bought generators when you got word of the storm headed your way. The worst thing is to not have power and lose food because of no electricity. Shows us how much we depend on the utility service. I suppose that also means phone service may be out or very spotty.

Some of you probably can't post once this storm hits. A Generator would have fixed all that for you. I think I would hurry up and order one online since you can have one shipped to you. Or be prepared to go back to the days of candles.

Sorry so many on this forum will get hit. A prayer by all of us might help you get by.

Kathianne
10-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Our weather is warm. This past week, the SF Bay area got some rain but in my part of the South Bay, the rain was very light. I was out in short sleeves yesterday taking care of my car and it was pretty warm. Sweat was running into my eyes. I just checked outdoors and it is just right. I plan to take a long walk. Not a cloud in the sky.

I wish some of you had bought generators when you got word of the storm headed your way. The worst thing is to not have power and lose food because of no electricity. Shows us how much we depend on the utility service. I suppose that also means phone service may be out or very spotty.

Some of you probably can't post once this storm hits. A Generator would have fixed all that for you. I think I would hurry up and order one online since you can have one shipped to you. Or be prepared to go back to the days of candles.

Sorry so many on this forum will get hit. A prayer by all of us might help you get by.

I doubt that they can find a generator today, even driving for hours. 2 days ago, Amazon had made it clear they would get generators through, priority. Too late now.

jimnyc
10-28-2012, 03:47 PM
We just got a call from the school district that classes are canceled for the next 2 days. My wife's office is closed for tomorrow at least, and she wouldn't be able to get into work anyway as ALL mass transit in and around NYC has been canceled as of 7pm this evening.

Robert A Whit
10-28-2012, 03:54 PM
I doubt that they can find a generator today, even driving for hours. 2 days ago, Amazon had made it clear they would get generators through, priority. Too late now.

That is unfortunate. It seems to me that if one heads west, they might locate one. I figured that on the internet, orders can still be filled.

Saving food in your refrigerator and freezer seems to me to be good sense. Trying harder to get a generator would be priority one it seems and should have been 3 days back. This storm has moved very slowly. I have NEVER been in a hurricane but we have on rare occassion got some winds over 40 mph. I think on the Golden Gate Bridge winds over 70 mph have been recorded. I think they closed the bridge a couple of times. I am over the mountains from the ocean and fortunately am in an area that you might think of as an eddy. Usually the highest winds are around San Francisco and we are in a kind of protected pocket.

10-28-2012, 04:05 PM
People are worried what this storm will do to their property - can you please STFU if you cannot stay on topic?
It's called humor, gets people through the tough times!!
calm down, it'd a hurricane, you can't control it so accept it!!
all the prayers on earth will make no odds, you would be as well wrapping yourself in Saran Wrap for safety as you would be praying.
I hope my plane isn't delayed!!
I'm just off to call the pope!!

jimnyc
10-28-2012, 04:06 PM
all the prayers on earth will make no odds, you would be as well wrapping yourself in Saran Wrap for safety as you would be praying.

People's homes and possibly lives are concerned in this thread. You won't be participating in it anymore.

Kathianne
10-28-2012, 04:09 PM
That is unfortunate. It seems to me that if one heads west, they might locate one. I figured that on the internet, orders can still be filled.

Saving food in your refrigerator and freezer seems to me to be good sense. Trying harder to get a generator would be priority one it seems and should have been 3 days back. This storm has moved very slowly. I have NEVER been in a hurricane but we have on rare occassion got some winds over 40 mph. I think on the Golden Gate Bridge winds over 70 mph have been recorded. I think they closed the bridge a couple of times. I am over the mountains from the ocean and fortunately am in an area that you might think of as an eddy. Usually the highest winds are around San Francisco and we are in a kind of protected pocket.

I was speaking to a friend that may be in the path of the storm, his freezer is full. Advised him and anyone else, to get pics NOW of all food, clothing, furniture, etc. If disaster hits and you need to collect on insurance, the more documentation you have, the more likely you are to receive the maximum due you.

If you keep 2-3 months of grocery receipts, you do not need the pics. If not and you don't have pics, you may find yourself given a standardized amount. If you've a tv or computer that you paid mega for, you may find yourself getting a fraction back, without receipts. OTOH, replacement value is what really counts, so if you paid $5k for something that can now be purchased for $2k, you will only get the lower amount.

Best advice is not to wait for disaster, luckily for hurricanes there is plenty of notice, but not the case with fire, etc. Take a video walk through of your home. Focus on expensive items that you'd really be heartbroken if not replaced. If you live in a modest home, but like high end entertainment toys, you really, really need to up the amount of coverage on the contents of Homeowner's or rental coverage. Same if you ladies have collections of Coach or Prada. Document, document.

Oh yeah, make copies of your documentation and keep them in a secure location, away from your domicile.

Robert A Whit
10-28-2012, 04:11 PM
People's homes and possibly lives are concerned in this thread. You won't be participating in it anymore.

It pains me to read that you censor that way. While I believe 007 is not doing right, the censor tool should be rarely used in my opinion. One of the most vital parts of the constitution is the right to speech. Even that which offends.

Kathianne
10-28-2012, 04:20 PM
It pains me to read that you censor that way. While I believe 007 is not doing right, the censor tool should be rarely used in my opinion. One of the most vital parts of the constitution is the right to speech. Even that which offends.

I agree with you on many issues, but not this one. There are lots of threads for his bad taste in humor, but this one? Not so much. It's not like he was banned in general, just from this thread.

jimnyc
10-28-2012, 04:27 PM

Moderating is not censoring. I'm not allowing ANYONE to crap on any thread they feel like. It offends me just the same when people post links to shit they are selling too, but I suppose you think we should allow spamming? Sorry, ain't happening. No one is going to come here and disrespect others when we are talking about prayers for peoples health and well being. Sorry you disagree. You seem to think people should be allowed to write filthy words and disrespect people facing danger, I disagree.

Abbey Marie
10-28-2012, 04:32 PM

Wow. Easy to talk tough when you aren't in a bad situation, isn't it?

Abbey Marie
10-28-2012, 04:34 PM
I agree with you on many issues, but not this one. There are lots of threads for his bad taste in humor, but this one? Not so much. It's not like he was banned in general, just from this thread.

Exactly, Kathianne.

Track is still coming right over our house.

Abbey Marie
10-28-2012, 04:45 PM

Every once in a while we get a member claiming free speech. This is a private message board, and Jim has every right to run it as he feels is proper. It pains me that you would place that "right" over being decent to other people.

I would suggest that Mr. 007, and anyone else who feels so inclined, draw up a sign and go parade around telling everyone how stupid we are for worrying about a brutal storm heading our way. Free speech being so all-imortant in this case and all.

aboutime
10-28-2012, 06:48 PM

Robert, and others. I am taking advantage of having our Power back. Probably temporarily, as it has been out three times since around 1:30 this afternoon. So. I am typing fast here. We are in the Virginia Beach area, just north of Hatteras light. High tides, much street flooding, and when we see the news reports...if the power and tv are on. There is the usual, major flooding of ALL low lying areas across the entire Hampton Roads area of Virginia, and North Carolina.

Winds gusting around 50 or 60...sometimes more, with DRIVING...HARD RAIN that is horizontal, and hitting the sides of our home, windows and doors on the North, and Western sides.

Hopefully. We'll manage to keep our power as I try to catch up on this forum.
Everyone experiencing the storm. Pay attention to the warnings. The Eastern side of the storm as it turns...is expected to have gusts of over 100 mph. That is dangerous and NOBODY should try going outside to see HOW BRAVE YOU ARE.

Abbey Marie
10-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Robert, and others. I am taking advantage of having our Power back. Probably temporarily, as it has been out three times since around 1:30 this afternoon. So. I am typing fast here. We are in the Virginia Beach area, just north of Hatteras light. High tides, much street flooding, and when we see the news reports...if the power and tv are on. There is the usual, major flooding of ALL low lying areas across the entire Hampton Roads area of Virginia, and North Carolina.

Winds gusting around 50 or 60...sometimes more, with DRIVING...HARD RAIN that is horizontal, and hitting the sides of our home, windows and doors on the North, and Western sides.

Hopefully. We'll manage to keep our power as I try to catch up on this forum.
Everyone experiencing the storm. Pay attention to the warnings. The Eastern side of the storm as it turns...is expected to have gusts of over 100 mph. That is dangerous and NOBODY should try going outside to see HOW BRAVE YOU ARE.

Stay safe, AT!

aboutime
10-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Stay safe, AT!

Thanks Abbey. Will do. Have we heard from others who are still in the path of this Monster?

The weather people are telling us it's possibly, one of the biggest storms of this kind to hit the East coast..ever.

I feel sorry for anyone who was told to Evacuate. But then. Like us. When you choose to live near the Ocean...which now looks like about 1000 miles inland....LOL. You have to expect some storms.
Better to live here...In my opinion, than to have to face TORNADO ALLEY every year.

Prayers go out to everyone...even if you are not threatened by this storm. Prayers are also good for PISSING non-believers off.

Gaffer
10-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Are any of you in the mandatory evacuation areas? Are you staying or getting out?

Abbey, it sounds like your going to experience the eye. Not many have done that. As it passes you'll see it get real calm for a while, then the storm resumes. Don't mistake the eye passing for the end of the storm.

Depending on where the servers located the power outage might even effect our getting on this board for a while. Everyone take care and batten down until this thing blows over. Report in as soon as you can and let us know how your doing.

aboutime
10-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Are any of you in the mandatory evacuation areas? Are you staying or getting out?

Abbey, it sounds like your going to experience the eye. Not many have done that. As it passes you'll see it get real calm for a while, then the storm resumes. Don't mistake the eye passing for the end of the storm.

Depending on where the servers located the power outage might even effect our getting on this board for a while. Everyone take care and batten down until this thing blows over. Report in as soon as you can and let us know how your doing.

Gaffer. What seems really odd, and unusual about this hurricane type storm is. Unlike other hurricanes we've been through over the years. This one had NO THUNDERSTORMS, or LIGHTNING that added to the winds, or threatened taller trees.

Thankfully, without the t-storms. We also haven't had any tornado activity, or water-spouts that are dangerous as well.

Talking about the EYE of the storm was good. But. This storm really has no Eye..so to speak. It's actually TWO storms in One. The hurricane force winds, and rain reaching terrible wind speeds, then about to crash into a COLD front, that will make the first storm become a Genuine NOREASTER...with SNOW in the W. Virginia, Western Pa. mountains.

I also should warn everyone awaiting the storm. The Northern, and More Eastern side of the storm(s) have increased in WIND SPEED, that will join with the Surges, and Higher tides, with a FULL MOON to create DANGEROUS conditions for several more days.

TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED.. STAY SAFE.
In other words. THIS IS A BAD SETUP for anyone facing it up the coast toward N.Y. and Boston...by Wednesday.

Abbey Marie
10-28-2012, 11:13 PM

No evacuation orders so far. Parts of the city of Wilmington, which isn't too far away, have been though.

It is so quiet right now. Not even rain. It's hard to believe it is coming right at us.

SassyLady
10-29-2012, 12:57 AM
No evacuation orders so far. Parts of the city of Wilmington, which isn't too far away, have been though.

It is so quiet right now. Not even rain. It's hard to believe it is coming right at us.

I have recently experienced the power of prayer, Abbey, and will continue to send them your way.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 02:16 AM
I checkd the "call out line" and my center is open - so I will leave early to allow extra drive time

It should be fun trying to get home later today

I do hope those in the more severe areas make it ok and my thoughts and prayers are with you

SUMMARY OF THREATS ------------------ THE MAIN THREATS FOR SANDY WILL BE STRONG WINDS RESULTING IN WIDESPREAD TREE DAMAGE AND HEAVY RAINS WHICH WILL RESULT IN EXTENSIVE FLOODING OF LOCAL CREEKS... STREAMS AND SMALL RIVERS. BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE FORECAST IN THE POTOMAC HIGHLANDS AT ELEVATIONS ABOVE 2500 FEET.
HIGH WINDS ---------- * WINDS WILL INCREASE STEADILY DURING THE DAY ON MONDAY... WITH THE MAXIMUM WIND GUSTS OCCURRING BETWEEN MONDAY THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING. GENERALLY... SUSTAINED WINDS OF 30 TO 50 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH CAN BE EXPECTED ACROSS THE ENTIRE AREA. * HURRICANE FORCE WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH ARE EXPECTED TO IMPACT A REGION LOCATED BETWEEN BEL AIR MD... PT LOOKOUT MD... AND FREDERICK MD. THIS INCLUDES THE GREATER BALTIMORE AND WASHINGTON METROPOLITAN AREAS. * COUPLED WITH HEAVY RAINS FROM SANDY... THE HIGH WINDS WILL RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT TREE DAMAGE AND POWER LINE DAMAGE.

RAINFALL AND FLOODING --------------------- * 6 TO 10 INCHES OF RAIN JUST WEST OF THE CHESAPEAKE BAY INCLUDING THE BALTIMORE METROPOLITAN AREA. * 4 TO 8 INCHES OF RAIN IS EXPECTED ALONG THE INTERSTATE 270 CORRIDOR INCLUDING THE WASHINGTON DC METROPOLITAN AREA. * 3 TO 6 INCHES OF RAIN FOR THE POTOMAC HIGHLANDS AND RAPPAHANNOCK RIVER BASIN INCLUDING CUMBERLAND MD. * 1 TO 3 INCHES OF RAIN FOR THE NORTHERN SHENANDOAH VALLEY AND NORTH CENTRAL PIEDMONT OF VIRGINIA SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 66 INCLUDING CHARLOTTESVILLE VA. * THIS AMOUNT OF RAIN WILL LIKELY RESULT IN EXTENSIVE FLOODING OF LOCAL STREAMS... CREEKS AND SMALL RIVERS STARTING ON MONDAY AFTERNOON AND LASTING THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 12:31 PM
My workplace closed at 12:30PM (8 1/h hours early) which damn near never happens. The wind is picking up and the rain is moderate.

I got home, filed the bathtub and sinks with water in case I lose power. All the malls,l ocal government are closed and early voting was cancelled for today

The worst is yet to come according to the forecasters

aboutime
10-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Everyone still feeling the storm effects North of where I live. Hang in there.

We made it through the night with no damage from the high winds, or excessive rain. Though our Stove Clock said 2:20 at 8:30 this morning.

The rain is still heavy, the winds are now down to a mild 25 to 30, and the forecast seems to be...later on today. We might see the sun before sunset.

I do believe Sandy is losing steam as it crosses into the states of Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.

Not aware of the predictions for storm surges at the beaches. But the excessive rains will swell creeks, rivers, and low lying streets that normally flood.

Everyone stay safe. We'll all get through this, and be stronger for it on the other side.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Everyone still feeling the storm effects North of where I live. Hang in there.

We made it through the night with no damage from the high winds, or excessive rain. Though our Stove Clock said 2:20 at 8:30 this morning.

The rain is still heavy, the winds are now down to a mild 25 to 30, and the forecast seems to be...later on today. We might see the sun before sunset.

I do believe Sandy is losing steam as it crosses into the states of Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.

Not aware of the predictions for storm surges at the beaches. But the excessive rains will swell creeks, rivers, and low lying streets that normally flood.

Everyone stay safe. We'll all get through this, and be stronger for it on the other side.

I wish you were right

I am watching TV and they are saying the storm will gain strength and may be a CAT 2 when it makes landfall over NYC

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 01:31 PM
A neighbors tree just fell in our yard, or a large portion of it, and the effects really haven't reached here yet. We are having wind surges at times up to 50-60mph already and have a lot of flooding about 1/2 mile from me coming off the Long Island Sound. Tonight will be the biggest test as we're expecting a ton of rain combined with high tide and there will be lots and lots of flooding in our area. From what I'm reading, and our history of flooding, I'm not holding my breath for our pumps to keep up with this. I expect we'll get another 4ft or so in our basement and garage. All is out of the way, for the most part, and we're already talking about replacing the HVAC unit this time with a ceiling mounted model to avoid future floods.

Anyone want to buy a house? :)

red states rule
10-29-2012, 01:33 PM
A neighbors tree just fell in our yard, or a large portion of it, and the effects really haven't reached here yet. We are having wind surges at times up to 50-60mph already and have a lot of flooding about 1/2 mile from me coming off the Long Island Sound. Tonight will be the biggest test as we're expecting a ton of rain combined with high tide and there will be lots and lots of flooding in our area. From what I'm reading, and our history of flooding, I'm not holding my breath for our pumps to keep up with this. I expect we'll get another 4ft or so in our basement and garage. All is out of the way, for the most part, and we're already talking about replacing the HVAC unit this time with a ceiling mounted model to avoid future floods.

Anyone want to buy a house? :)

You are in my prayers Jim. They are saying NYC may see a 11 foot storm surge

aboutime
10-29-2012, 01:38 PM
You are in my prayers Jim. They are saying NYC may see a 11 foot storm surge

This is one of the first times I ever agreed with the MAYOR of NYC when he called for the evacuation of waterside locations in Brooklyn, and Queens.

Battery Park seems to have a Seawall strong enough to prevent much damage. But then. We should all remember. The massive control of all operations in the BIG APPLE...are...UNDERGROUND.

STEAM, ELECTRICITY, WATER, SEWERAGE, GAS, SUBWAYS.

Too much water from the Hudson bay....and FIFTH Ave. Becomes a Watery street like VENICE, ITALY.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 01:40 PM
This is one of the first times I ever agreed with the MAYOR of NYC when he called for the evacuation of waterside locations in Brooklyn, and Queens.

Battery Park seems to have a Seawall strong enough to prevent much damage. But then. We should all remember. The massive control of all operations in the BIG APPLE...are...UNDERGROUND.

Too much water from the Hudson bay....and FIFTH Ave. Becomes a Watery street like VENICE, ITALY.

In about 4 hours it will hit NY, and I done all I can do. All that is left is to hope my house will not suffer any damage

aboutime
10-29-2012, 01:45 PM
In about 4 hours it will hit NY, and I done all I can do. All that is left is to hope my house will not suffer any damage

red states rule. Hope all of you stay safe. Forget about the FIRST FLOOR. You have probably moved what you could UP, above any possible flooding levels.
If you can't leave. TAKE NO CHANCES. Turn off your ELECTRICITY, GAS, and DO NOT attempt to use anything that generates CARBON MONOXIDE...to keep warm, generate electricity, or cook after the storm.

Remember. You can replace PHYSICAL PROPERTY later. But you only have ONE LIFE, and there are no RETURNABLES.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 01:49 PM
red states rule. Hope all of you stay safe. Forget about the FIRST FLOOR. You have probably moved what you could UP, above any possible flooding levels.
If you can't leave. TAKE NO CHANCES. Turn off your ELECTRICITY, GAS, and DO NOT attempt to use anything that generates CARBON MONOXIDE...to keep warm, generate electricity, or cook after the storm.

Remember. You can replace PHYSICAL PROPERTY later. But you only have ONE LIFE, and there are no RETURNABLES.

Thanks for the tips but I am up on a hill so most of area would have to be under water before it gets that bad

I have renters and flood ins so the only thing I am worried about are the cats

aboutime
10-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the tips but I am up on a hill so most of area would have to be under water before it gets that bad

I have renters and flood ins so the only thing I am worried about are the cats

Good to hear red states rule. Good for you. Hope all goes well. If you lose power. Those portable generators are great. Wish we had invested in one. But the cost is always crazy, and out of range for so few times we'd need it.

We do have an advantage down here, over most of you who live in the Northeast corridor.

I was born in Pennsylvania, outside of Philly. And I remember how the power companies still rely on Above Ground, power transmission lines on poles that Often have Transformers that blow during bad weather, and high winds.

Down here. Most all of the major electrical power has been placed underground, except for the Massive Power line towers which generally are never bothered.'

Good luck. Keep us up to date, and stay safe.

Temporary for now. Mother Nature tests all of us, one way or another.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Good to hear red states rule. Good for you. Hope all goes well. If you lose power. Those portable generators are great. Wish we had invested in one. But the cost is always crazy, and out of range for so few times we'd need it.

We do have an advantage down here, over most of you who live in the Northeast corridor.

I was born in Pennsylvania, outside of Philly. And I remember how the power companies still rely on Above Ground, power transmission lines on poles that Often have Transformers that blow during bad weather, and high winds.

Down here. Most all of the major electrical power has been placed underground, except for the Massive Power line towers which generally are never bothered.'

Good luck. Keep us up to date, and stay safe.

Temporary for now. Mother Nature tests all of us, one way or another.

The wind has caused a partial crane collapse in downtown NYC

Damn it is going to be a long night

red states rule
10-29-2012, 02:17 PM
What a monster!!!!!

http://a57.foxnews.com/www.foxnews.com/images/root_images/0/0/hurricane_sandy_latest_20121029_143753.jpg

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 02:23 PM

The right to free speech means nothing then. I was/am under the impression that 007 was banned from the forum. I had no idea Jimmy can simply ban from one thread.

Almost everything said can offend a few people. Even though not intended. Some of us have ultra thin skins. Me, I can handle the crap 007 has put forth. I pay more attention to him when people fuss a lot than if they just move on. We all run the risk of offending somebody who may have the power to ban us.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 02:27 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1194797.1351538088!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/crane-collapse.jpg

Hurricane Sandy heralded her arrival in the city Monday by knocking over a crane atop a midtown skyscraper that was under construction.

As the storm grew in force and intensity, half of the massive crane hung perilously over West 57th St. at Sixth Ave.
Firefighters were enroute and the little traffic near the One57 building was being hurried away by worried police.
No injuries were reported in the collapse, which was reported at 2:30 p.m., city officials said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/crane-collapse-manhattan-article-1.1194790#ixzz2AiZlgqkW

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Was just listening to the story about the crane on the radio. I'm just above the city and we are sure as hell feeling the beginning of the wind. I went for a drive before it really came into town and saw tons and tons of branches down already and large flooding down by the Sound already. The police are already struggling to contain things and have barricades up all around town. Lots of news trucks in town as well, being that the harbor is just up the road. I'd say there is a fair amount of damage already, and this is with 40-50mph gusts and barely any rain yet. The thick of it will hit the NYC area and us at about 7-8pm tonight. But as the crane shows, even the short gusts are capable of creating loads of damage.

There is a huge ferry that sits on the Hudson, actually located off of Edgewater, NJ, and it's under water now. I also read another story about what looks like a huge historical ship of some kind, went down and they rescued like 14ppl and I think 2 are missing.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Was just listening to the story about the crane on the radio. I'm just above the city and we are sure as hell feeling the beginning of the wind. I went for a drive before it really came into town and saw tons and tons of branches down already and large flooding down by the Sound already. The police are already struggling to contain things and have barricades up all around town. Lots of news trucks in town as well, being that the harbor is just up the road. I'd say there is a fair amount of damage already, and this is with 40-50mph gusts and barely any rain yet. The thick of it will hit the NYC area and us at about 7-8pm tonight. But as the crane shows, even the short gusts are capable of creating loads of damage.

There is a huge ferry that sits on the Hudson, actually located off of Edgewater, NJ, and it's under water now. I also read another story about what looks like a huge historical ship of some kind, went down and they rescued like 14ppl and I think 2 are missing.

Jim stay the hell inside!!! With the winds any small item can become a deadly projectile

The total surge could be 30 feet!!!!

You and your family are in my thougths and prayers Jim

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Moderating is not censoring. I'm not allowing ANYONE to crap on any thread they feel like. It offends me just the same when people post links to shit they are selling too, but I suppose you think we should allow spamming? Sorry, ain't happening. No one is going to come here and disrespect others when we are talking about prayers for peoples health and well being. Sorry you disagree. You seem to think people should be allowed to write filthy words and disrespect people facing danger, I disagree.

Spoken like an Obama supporter. And NO, I am not alleging you support Obama. But that is their style. I agree with you that the way 007 was speaking when lives may be at stake is flat bogus. But to ban the guy? Somebody told me you only banned him from a single topic. I don't know how that works. I don't post links to stuff to sell so why did you toss that at me? I think the word you used should not be used either yet were I in charge, i would not ban you for saying that crude word. But that is just me. I am not saying to allow spamming. But then I am an adult and can handle more than you may suppose, even words such as you used above in your reply. I heard all dirty words one can say during my lifetime. I try to use words one might say to a minister or a priest. I agree again that 007 messed up but can't the rest of us take it? Did you get a lot of complaints? Your final sentence looms at me. Where did I claim people ought to disrespect and say filthy words? Approveing that and speaking up for free speech is two different things. Sort of like me defending the right to own a firearm but not having one myself.

In this matter, we just don't agree on the severity of your sanction. No big deal. I don't see some rule demanding we agree with all we read.

In general I believe you are a fair person. Just letting you know that.

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Jim stay the hell inside!!! With the winds any small item can become a deadly projectile

Thanks, buddy!

I should have known better, but I figured taking a peek at the harbor before the storm fully reached us couldn't hurt. From the amount of tree limbs and shit I see flying around, I had a change of heart and came back rather quickly! I like storms, but don't have a death wish!

red states rule
10-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Spoken like an Obama supporter. And NO, I am not alleging you support Obama. But that is their style. I agree with you that the way 007 was speaking when lives may be at stake is flat bogus. But to ban the guy? Somebody told me you only banned him from a single topic. I don't know how that works. I don't post links to stuff to sell so why did you toss that at me? I think the word you used should not be used either yet were I in charge, i would not ban you for saying that crude word. But that is just me. I am not saying to allow spamming. But then I am an adult and can handle more than you may suppose, even words such as you used above in your reply. I heard all dirty words one can say during my lifetime. I try to use words one might say to a minister or a priest. I agree again that 007 messed up but can't the rest of us take it? Did you get a lot of complaints? Your final sentence looms at me. Where did I claim people ought to disrespect and say filthy words? Approveing that and speaking up for free speech is two different things. Sort of like me defending the right to own a firearm but not having one myself.

In this matter, we just don't agree on the severity of your sanction. No big deal. I don't see some rule demanding we agree with all we read.

Robert, could you please take this to PM's to Jim? We have more important things to worry about right

Like lives that are at stake right now?

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 02:44 PM

I see some of this on my local news. I would think the major problems would be the storm surge.

It is awful reading of the suffering some of you may end up going through. We all wish I am sure that each of us could help you in some fashion.

I expect to hear that the subways are flooded. I don't know much at all about things like that in your city.

In all the years my deceased brother lived there, he never mentioned things like storm surges to me.

I ditto his final statement above.

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 02:45 PM

He has 100% access to the board and his ability to post in this one thread was taken away. I believe the seriousness of the subject and the potential effects of this storm make it not so "humorous" and not a place to make jokes. Why you would support such a person, or actions, or freedom of speech in this thread, is beyond me. That's your right though, I suppose. While this board is all about freedom of speech and allowing everyone to have their say, regardless of political affiliations, that also comes with responsibility. The freedom doesn't mean we can't clean things up when things are out of order. We often have "prayer threads" at times like this, or with health issues, or family issues - and I will ALWAYS side with the people praying and ALWAYS remove a person from such a thread if they are disrespectful and try to make a mockery out of such situations, while others are in pain, nervous or in harms way. I don't make it some sort of secret either. Common courtesy and decency will always trump wise asses and those who think their rebellious ways will ruin otherwise good threads and people praying for one another. I neither hide my actions in that respect nor do I make any apologies.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks, buddy!

I should have known better, but I figured taking a peek at the harbor before the storm fully reached us couldn't hurt. From the amount of tree limbs and shit I see flying around, I had a change of heart and came back rather quickly! I like storms, but don't have a death wish!

Take care of your family, pets, and make sure the pumps keep working. There is no reason to set foot outside Jim!

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 02:47 PM
I see some of this on my local news. I would think the major problems would be the storm surge.

It is awful reading of the suffering some of you may end up going through. We all wish I am sure that each of us could help you in some fashion.

I expect to hear that the subways are flooded. I don't know much at all about things like that in your city.

In all the years my deceased brother lived there, he never mentioned things like storm surges to me.

I ditto his final statement above.

The NYC subway system is in the path of a lot of pain, as is the rest of NYC. Half of what they rely on lies underground, and when the storm hits tonight, just in time for high tide, the underground systems will be flooded for sure.

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Robert, could you please take this to PM's to Jim? We have more important things to worry about right

Like lives that are at stake right now?

While i can do that, thus far Jim has been the one that decided to get all over 007 and make it public. I found out because of things Jimmy said. I wish if he felt he had to do that, he would have gone to PM to 007 and made his angst known to him first. Jim dragged the board into it by going public.

As to how important the storm is. You betcha. I realize the gravity of it and let's all end this about 007 since I made my feeling about free speech known to Jim the way he made it known he had gone after 007.

Best to you in the way of the storm and I pray you will all come out to say it did not damage life or property and you came out safe and undamaged.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 02:48 PM
The NYC subway system is in the path of a lot of pain, as is the rest of NYC. Half of what they rely on lies underground, and when the storm hits tonight, just in time for high tide, the underground systems will be flooded for sure.

I am hearing officals are now worried about salt water getting into the subway system

You guys are in for a long night Jim

red states rule
10-29-2012, 02:50 PM
While i can do that, thus far Jim has been the one that decided to get all over 007 and make it public. I found out because of things Jimmy said. I wish if he felt he had to do that, he would have gone to PM to 007 and made his angst known to him first. Jim dragged the board into it by going public.

As to how important the storm is. You betcha. I realize the gravity of it and let's all end this about 007 since I made my feeling about free speech known to Jim the way he made it known he had gone after 007.

Best to you in the way of the storm and I pray you will all come out to say it did not damage life or property and you came out safe and undamaged.

Robert I can understand that and thnk you for understanding what I was saying

You will find Jim, and the mods, give everyone a wide birth

But from the Rules

Board Policy and Decisions - Any questions, concerns or complaints about board policy or decisions should be handled via the private message system. You may contact any staff member directly and voice your concerns. Airing "dirty laundry" is not good for the forum, or any forum for that fact. We don't have a forum called "complaints", which means it shouldn't be aired publicly. I'm very lenient when it comes to the rules and implementing them. I bend a lot based on member feedback and set the rules accordingly. My stance on this issue is very firm though, and it will be dealt with each and every time. We have the PM system and reporting system for these instances. Take the time to voice your complaints or concerns privately and we will be happy to discuss with you. Post it on the forums and receive a 24hr ban.

So Jim did give you a very wide birth and I can assure you he is no Obama supporter

Thanks for your prayers and and concern

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks, buddy!

Seems like you are still on line thus still have electricity. I saw on TV the picture of that ship you said is lost. The name is Bounty I believe. A replica ship. And if it has not sank, it has no crew and I suppose it might just sink. I am not a sailor so I am clueless. At this moment, I doubt the authorities are wasting time over the fate of the ship. I am shocked a Ferry there has sank??? Did you mean to say it sank? That surprises me. In the harbor it sank?

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 02:54 PM

Sorry, but it wasn't Jim who brought things to the public, that was 007. And as per our staff policy, I make the announcement of someone being removed from a thread and why, so others aren't left wondering what happened. Not a word of anything would be here to discuss if not for his actions. I simply asked him to stop. He refused. I removed his access to this thread and made it clear to others reading that he was, and why. That is board policy. I don't believe in hiding things behind the scenes in such matters. And asking someone to cease, and then removing their access when they won't, is hardly "getting all over" someone.

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Robert I can understand that and thnk you for understanding what I was saying

You will find Jim, and the mods, give everyone a wide birth

But from the Rules

Board Policy and Decisions - Any questions, concerns or complaints about board policy or decisions should be handled via the private message system. You may contact any staff member directly and voice your concerns. Airing "dirty laundry" is not good for the forum, or any forum for that fact. We don't have a forum called "complaints", which means it shouldn't be aired publicly. I'm very lenient when it comes to the rules and implementing them. I bend a lot based on member feedback and set the rules accordingly. My stance on this issue is very firm though, and it will be dealt with each and every time. We have the PM system and reporting system for these instances. Take the time to voice your complaints or concerns privately and we will be happy to discuss with you. Post it on the forums and receive a 24hr ban.

So Jim did give you a very wide birth and I can assure you he is no Obama supporter

Thanks for your prayers and and concern

You are correct.

Now don't you wish Jim had kept it private between himself and 007 and not taken it public thus getting me involved in defending free speech? i am not defending the words said by 007, but your right to free speech.

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Seems like you are still on line thus still have electricity. I saw on TV the picture of that ship you said is lost. The name is Bounty I believe. A replica ship. And if it has not sank, it has no crew and I suppose it might just sink. I am not a sailor so I am clueless. At this moment, I doubt the authorities are wasting time over the fate of the ship. I am shocked a Ferry there has sank??? Did you mean to say it sank? That surprises me. In the harbor it sank?

The Ferry is/was located on the Hudson River, I believe north of the George Washington Bridge. It had taken on water as of about 11am this morning and the entire hull was under water, I imagine by now it's gone, but don't live close enough by to check on the status and verify.

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 02:57 PM
You are correct.

Now don't you wish Jim had kept it private between himself and 007 and not taken it public thus getting me involved in defending free speech? i am not defending the words said by 007, but your right to free speech.

Again, I did NOT take it public, I simply replied to what was already public and then removed his access. You can let this drop anytime now, or at least speak the truth which is right here for everyone to read.

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Here is the ferry, the "Binghamton Ferry", which is a historic landmark and restaurant. This was about 5 hours ago...

http://i.imgur.com/18JOK.jpg

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 03:01 PM
A better photo:

http://i.imgur.com/Vq6Xn.jpg

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Sorry, but it wasn't Jim who brought things to the public, that was 007. And as per our staff policy, I make the announcement of someone being removed from a thread and why, so others aren't left wondering what happened. Not a word of anything would be here to discuss if not for his actions. I simply asked him to stop. He refused. I removed his access to this thread and made it clear to others reading that he was, and why. That is board policy. I don't believe in hiding things behind the scenes in such matters. And asking someone to cease, and then removing their access when they won't, is hardly "getting all over" someone.

Jim, if you went PM to the person, and told him your feelings, that is fine. I nor the rest of us needed to know you stopped him on one thread. I would not be defending free speech had you kept it private. I appreciate your point of view. The way you explain this makes me feel better.

I don't wish a fight with you nor other posters. All I am doing is defending free speech. I would do it for you or red states also.

While he was being an unkind person, I have lived long enough to have encountered many unkind people.

I know that you feel compelled to stand up for what you did. This topic does not deserve to be decapitated over stuff like this. I plan to say no more on the topic. Done is done.

At least you were kind enough to explain it to me. I thank you more than you can know.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Why this storm is so damn bad

Here’s how it breaks down:

- A late-season hurricane, Sandy, is being pushed toward land by a high-pressure system near Greenland. It may not even be a hurricane by the time it hits, but meteorologists say it will still be a massive system with tropical-force winds that could stretch 450 miles.

- A winter system coming in from the west is on a collision course with Sandy and will stop it from churning back out to sea. Meanwhile, arctic air from the north will set the stage for up to two feet of snow in some places.

- This is all happening during a full moon, when tides are at their highest. New York City is bracing for storm surges of six to 11 feet.

“The total is greater than the sum of the individual parts,” Louis Uccellini, the environmental prediction chief of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, told the Associated Press

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/storm-article-1.1194158#ixzz2AiiQJIQa

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Again, I did NOT take it public, I simply replied to what was already public and then removed his access. You can let this drop anytime now, or at least speak the truth which is right here for everyone to read.

I found out when you made the public remark you banned him. I thought it was for the entire forum.

Will you kindly point out my ... ahem ... lie?

When you declare a man lied, at least show the lie. I saw 007 make bad taste remarks and in no way defend his words. I only defend rights.

So, again, tell us all how we learned of the banning of 007? I say you took it public. What is your claim?

Matter of fact, you admit you took it public by saying you banned him and why.

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Here is the ferry, the "Binghamton Ferry", which is a historic landmark and restaurant. This was about 5 hours ago...

http://i.imgur.com/18JOK.jpg

The water appears calm. I wonder what happened?

Thanks for the photo.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Back to the topic

and the storm has not made land fall yet!!

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1194614.1351523396!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/index_635_390/390-sandy-gal-1029.jpg

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Jim, if you went PM to the person, and told him your feelings, that is fine.

And it's fine that I address it publicly as well, as per our policy. This is not debatable or going to change. If someone is an ass publicly, we respond publicly so that everyone can see clearly why we took action. I don't need to go private and hide things from the public view to appease others. This is not about limiting freedom of speech but stopping someone from ruining such a thread as this one.

Seriously, just let it drop and get back to the discussion now. I normally won't even discuss board policy about why we take action after the fact, but you're new, and being polite about it, but I think I've explained myself enough at this point. Outside of this one thread where he tried to make a joke out of this storm and people in it's path, he has had no rights taken away and he's posting with us at this very minute, just not in this thread. I really don't know what else to tell you if you take issue with that, but I can assure you that it's more than what people will get at the overwhelming majority of other boards. We don't ban here unless absolutely necessary, which is VERY infrequently and we have a very limited amount of rules - but with that, we still need a sense of "law and order", which without the board would just turn into chaos.

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Why this storm is so damn bad

Good report. I saw on my TV the storm track and the area of impact. It is expected to reach almost to Buffalo from my reports.

Shoving the ocean over land can result in huge losses.

I appreciate the on the spot reports by those living in that storm.

Makes me feel guilty for our awesome cloudless days with sunshine and warm weather.

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 03:11 PM
I found out when you made the public remark you banned him. I thought it was for the entire forum.

Will you kindly point out my ... ahem ... lie?

When you declare a man lied, at least show the lie. I saw 007 make bad taste remarks and in no way defend his words. I only defend rights.

So, again, tell us all how we learned of the banning of 007? I say you took it public. What is your claim?

Matter of fact, you admit you took it public by saying you banned him and why.

I'll make this clear one last time:

1 - 007 made a mockery of this thread
2 - I asked him to cease
3 - He did not
4 - I removed him from the thread
5 - Look back to #1 to see who was responsible for starting this public brouhaha
6 - It's that simple, I reply to the crap where I see it, had he sent me something via PM I would have replied there

Gaffer
10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
The Bounty sank. That was reported by the Coast Guard. There are still two crew members missing that they are searching for.

I haven't heard anything about any massive power outages yet, and Jim's still posting so that's a good sign. But Abouttime just got brushed by the storm and has had power on and off so that doesn't sound good for those getting hit directly.

This is a historical storm which many can say I remember hurricane Sandy. It's interesting that there is not a lot of lightning and tornadoes so far. That's another good thing. Maybe due to the cold storm that has joined the hurricane. The very western edge of the storm is over us today too. Clouds wind and rain.

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Back to the topic

and the storm has not made land fall yet!!

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1194614.1351523396!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/index_635_390/390-sandy-gal-1029.jpg

I really appreciate the photos and reports by those living through this event.

I am rooting for you to all escape damage.

mundame
10-29-2012, 03:17 PM
The storm track is supposed to go directly over our house, apparently, from the national weather service map. Maybe we'll experience the eye; but this will be during the night or early morning, so I don't know. Very, very windy and rainy, but so far only flickering power. It's still on. I don't expect that to continue, but you never know! I've been doing everything that needs power today. My husband has been trying to keep the greenhouse drain open, but I think it's a losing battle, it's a pond out there.

Good luck to all of you in the storm track!

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 03:21 PM
The Bounty sank. That was reported by the Coast Guard. There are still two crew members missing that they are searching for.

I haven't heard anything about any massive power outages yet, and Jim's still posting so that's a good sign. But Abouttime just got brushed by the storm and has had power on and off so that doesn't sound good for those getting hit directly.

This is a historical storm which many can say I remember hurricane Sandy. It's interesting that there is not a lot of lightning and tornadoes so far. That's another good thing. Maybe due to the cold storm that has joined the hurricane. The very western edge of the storm is over us today too. Clouds wind and rain.

That's sad, I hope they can find the missing crew.

Honestly, I'm actually planning for no power from 8pm or so this evening, and will just consider myself blessed if it stays on. We lose power in every other major storm, and flood, and this behemoth makes the others pale in comparison. I know in Long Island (LIPA), the power company, is telling many to possible be prepared to be without power for 7-10 days!! Yikes! If I do lose power tonight, and it's not back by sometime tomorrow, my ass is traveling as far as it takes to get a hotel room!

Until then, I'm enjoying the internet, and we're cooking a bunch of food now in preparation.

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 03:22 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1194797.1351538088!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/crane-collapse.jpg

I spent 9 years working with large cranes.

My guess from the photo is that high winds moved the boom enough to snap a supporting line allowing the boom to collapse. Though one might expect some pieces fell to the ground, looks like for the most part the boom is intact.

My father was boss on a job at San Mateo CA when he lost a boom that way. Only in his case he was picking up a 35 ton load.

I was a boss on a different job and he had me transferred to his job to help fix the crane.

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 03:23 PM
The storm track is supposed to go directly over our house, apparently, from the national weather service map. Maybe we'll experience the eye; but this will be during the night or early morning, so I don't know. Very, very windy and rainy, but so far only flickering power. It's still on. I don't expect that to continue, but you never know! I've been doing everything that needs power today. My husband has been trying to keep the greenhouse drain open, but I think it's a losing battle, it's a pond out there.

Good luck to all of you in the storm track!

Same back at ya! I know your area is going to be just south of where it reaches land. You're definitely in a danger zone, so be careful. But hell, they say this storm is like 500 miles wide, and traveling, so pretty much everyone within the East Coast is gonna get hit by something.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 03:25 PM
From Milford CT

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/REU-STORM-SANDY_-24-760x439.jpg

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
That's sad, I hope they can find the missing crew.

Honestly, I'm actually planning for no power from 8pm or so this evening, and will just consider myself blessed if it stays on. We lose power in every other major storm, and flood, and this behemoth makes the others pale in comparison. I know in Long Island (LIPA), the power company, is telling many to possible be prepared to be without power for 7-10 days!! Yikes! If I do lose power tonight, and it's not back by sometime tomorrow, my ass is traveling as far as it takes to get a hotel room!

Until then, I'm enjoying the internet, and we're cooking a bunch of food now in preparation.

It is so sad to read that any of our fellow posters are in the path of destruction.

I thank all of you for the reports.

red states rule
10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
It is so sad to read that any of our fellow posters are in the path of destruction.

I thank all of you for the reports.

Jim, as I posted before

Fill the bath tubs and sinks with water, and crank up the heat NOW to warm the house up

Good luck pal

Kathianne
10-29-2012, 03:51 PM

When the water surges one never knows what will happen to a seawall. Remember when Chicago had its 'accident' years ago? If I remember correctly, NYC like Chicago has a massive underground system, as you said:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-chicagodays-flood-story,0,243150.story

April 13, 1992
The Loop's Great Chicago Flood An odd calamity turns the Loop into a "soggy ghost town." <iframe src="http://static.ak.facebook.com/connect/xd_arbiter.php?version=11#channel=f1769f749f80ef2&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chicagotribune.com&channel_path=%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Fchi-chicagodays-flood-story%2C0%2C243150.story%3Ffb_xd_fragment%23xd_sig %3Df392ca8aec0efd4%26" name="fb_xdm_frame_http" id="fb_xdm_frame_http"></iframe><iframe src="https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/connect/xd_arbiter.php?version=11#channel=f1769f749f80ef2&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chicagotribune.com&channel_path=%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Fchi-chicagodays-flood-story%2C0%2C243150.story%3Ffb_xd_fragment%23xd_sig %3Df392ca8aec0efd4%26" name="fb_xdm_frame_https" id="fb_xdm_frame_https"></iframe>

<script async="" src="https://apis.google.com/_/apps-static/_/js/gapi/debug_error/rt=j/ver=BntkVpEqUk4.en_US./sv=1/am=%21EsUnt3hT0SSIO7F7ug/d=1/rs=AItRSTOluJHkty0UnnFaIxqJXltw-QS99w/ed=1/exm=plusone/cb=gapi.loaded_1"></script><script gapi_processed="true" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js" async="" type="text/javascript"></script><script async="" src="https://apis.google.com/_/apps-static/_/js/gapi/plusone/rt=j/ver=BntkVpEqUk4.en_US./sv=1/am=%21EsUnt3hT0SSIO7F7ug/d=1/rs=AItRSTOluJHkty0UnnFaIxqJXltw-QS99w/cb=gapi.loaded_0"></script><script gapi_processed="true" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js" async="" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1" id="facebook-jssdk"></script><script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>

http://www.chicagotribune.com/hive/images/icons/email_icon.png (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-chicagodays-flood-story,0,2385153,email.story)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/hive/images/icons/print_icon.png (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-chicagodays-flood-story,0,2052909,print.story)

<script> i$.$(function() { i$.require('http://w.sharethis.com/button/buttons.js', function() { stLight.options({ publisher:'4b7449a5-38e2-462a-a6cd-97326133f123', onhover: false, newOrZero: 'zero', embeds:'true' }); }); }); </script>
<iframe title="+1" src="https://plusone.google.com/_/+1/fastbutton?bsv=m&abtk=AEIZW7QnDgNUKMrHrvbUrBdhon2pJThCDfrEWPp44gJWQ x27uw0B7tQH1EytsZ6dUwcQS3dWNHXubspcHvzX2ipaw89WD13 mvU20O/Rjqj65MjmwGSK2P6M%3D&size=medium&hl=en-US&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chicagotribune.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chicagotribune.com%2Fnews%2Fp olitics%2Fchi-chicagodays-flood-story%2C0%2C243150.story&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fgapi%2F__features__%2Frt%3Dj%2Fv er%3DBntkVpEqUk4.en_US.%2Fsv%3D1%2Fam%3D%21EsUnt3h T0SSIO7F7ug%2Fd%3D1%2Frs%3DAItRSTOluJHkty0UnnFaIxq JXltw-QS99w#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_close%2C_open %2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled&id=I0_1351543729174&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chicagotribune.com" name="I0_1351543729174" id="I0_1351543729174" vspace="0" tabindex="0" style="position: static; top: 0pt; width: 90px; margin: 0px; border-style: none; left: 0pt; visibility: visible; height: 20px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" hspace="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="100%"></iframe>
<script type="text/javascript"> (function() { var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true; po.src = 'https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s); })(); </script>
<iframe allowtransparency="true" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.html?url=http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-chicagodays-flood-story,0,243150.story&title=The%20Loop%27s%20Great%20Chicago%20Flood&text=The%20Loop%27s%20Great%20Chicago%20Flood" style="width: 100px; height: 50px;" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<tbody>
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-09/42250198.jpg The streets stayed dry during the Great Chicago Flood of 1992, but it was a different story underground. (Tribune photo by Charles Osgood)

</tbody>

<script type="text/javascript"> function showExtras(elm, link, text){ var obj = $(elm); var link = $(link); var elmTop = (obj.getHeight() + 10) * (-1); if(obj.style.display == 'none'){ obj.style.top = elmTop + "px"; link.innerHTML = 'Hide more ' + text + ' &raquo;'; new Effect.Parallel([ new Effect.Move(obj, { sync: true, x: link.getWidth(), y: (obj.getHeight() + 10) * (-1), mode: 'absolute' }), new Effect.AppearItems(obj, { sync: true, from: 0, to: 1}) ], { duration: 1 }); } else { new Effect.Parallel([ new Effect.Move(obj, { sync: true, x: link.getWidth() * (-1), y: 0, mode: 'absoulte' }), new Effect.FadeItems(obj, { sync: true, from: 1, to: 0 }) ], { duration: 1 }); link.innerHTML = 'See more ' + text + ' &raquo;'; } } // These are customized methods b/c the scriptaculous ones where throwing error. These should be re-evaluated at a later date. Effect.FadeItems = function(element) { element = $(element); var oldOpacity = 0; var options = Object.extend({ from: element.getOpacity() || 1.0, to: 0.0, afterFinishInternal: function(effect) { if (effect.options.to!=0) return; effect.element.hide().setStyle({opacity: oldOpacity}); } }, arguments[1] || { }); return new Effect.Opacity(element,options); }; Effect.AppearItems = function(element) { element = $(element); var options = Object.extend({ from: (element.getStyle('display') == 'none' ? 0.0 : element.getOpacity() || 0.0), to: 1.0, // force Safari to render floated elements properly afterFinishInternal: function(effect) { if(Prototype.Browser.WebKit) { effect.element.forceRerendering(); } }, beforeSetup: function(effect) { effect.element.setOpacity(effect.options.from).sho w(); }}, arguments[1] || { }); return new Effect.Opacity(element,options); }; </script>

Related
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/photo/2008-09/42250178-09160744.jpg (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-150cowcartoon20080909152059,0,6101616.photo) Flood cartoon, 1992 (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-150cowcartoon20080909152059,0,6101616.photo)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/photo/2008-09/42250390-09162114.jpg (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-150woodstack20080909152432,0,5598077.photo) Pilings from the flood, 1992 (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-150woodstack20080909152432,0,5598077.photo)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/quote/2011-07/34326768-20144049.jpg (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-chicagodays-quote,0,4367173.quote) (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-chicagodays-quote,0,4367173.quote)

By Patrick T. Reardon Chicago Tribune
Tens of thousands of office workers and store clerks streamed into the Loop as usual on this morning, only to be sent home for an unscheduled holiday. For many, that holiday lasted a week; for some, it went on for more than a month. The reason was one of the oddest calamities in American history: the Great Chicago Flood.

Earlier that morning, some 124 million gallons of murky Chicago River water poured through a crack into a little-used, all-but-forgotten 47-mile network of freight tunnels under the central business district.After filling the tunnels, the river water rose into the basements of many downtown buildings, knocking out electric power and natural-gas service.

It was a flood that no one at street level could see, a flood in which no one was injured. No one, except those trying to stop the water's spread, got wet. But, as the Tribune reported, the invisible disaster turned the Loop "into a soggy ghost town" and caused damage and business losses of at least $1 billion. Trials at the Daley Center were postponed. The Chicago Board of Trade and the Chicago Mercantile Exchange closed. Rapid transit trains were rerouted for weeks while water was pumped out of subway tunnels. City Hall was evacuated.

One of the biggest shocks of the calamity was that city officials had known about the potential problem--for three months, it turned out--but had moved too slowly to approve the $10,000 contract to fix it. In September 1991, a private contractor had driven new wooden pilings into the river bed next to the Kinzie Street drawbridge to protect the bridge from passing barges and other traffic on the North Branch of the Chicago River. The pilings had been placed in the wrong spot and punctured the ceiling of the freight tunnel below.

A slow leak was discovered in January by cable-TV company workers who were inspecting cables that ran through the tunnel. City officials were notified, but because of bureaucratic hemming and hawing, nothing was done.

Mayor Richard M. Daley demanded and received the resignation of a city official who was in charge of the department that was responsible for inspecting the tunnels. Pumping the water out of buildings and the tunnel system took weeks, but even three years later, city government was feeling the invisible disaster's financial effects. On Aug. 11, 1995, city lawyers agreed to pay up to $36 million in damages to settle lawsuits brought by Marshall Field & Co. and insurers for about a dozen buildings damaged by the flood waters. <script type="text/javascript">textSize()</script>

red states rule
10-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Sandy is bring snow to WV

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Snow plows are out in the southern Appalachian mountains, beginning what could be a long week of snow removal as forecasters predict as much as 3 feet of snow spawned by Hurricane Sandy .

The early snowfall in higher elevations could be a boon for the area's ski resorts, which have sometimes struggled to keep their slopes open.

Forecasters in West Virginia expanded a blizzard warning for high winds and heavy, wet snow. No significant power outages were reported as of Monday afternoon.

Farther south in Boone, N.C., as much as a foot of snow is expected. Sugar Mountain spokeswoman Kim Jochl says the ski resort plans to open by Halloween, the earliest opening ever in 43 years of operation.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/267108/226/Sandy-brings-heavy-snow-to-Appalachia

Kathianne
10-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Can you think of a better way to make sure others do not follow the example? He was warned, then thread banned.

Kathianne
10-29-2012, 04:04 PM

Most ships are out in the open waters riding out the storm, from what I've always read. Seems more dangerous to be 'tied to dock' where waves can crash over and flood.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/navy-moving-ships-out-of-hurricane-sandys-path/2012/10/26/14672694-1fb2-11e2-8817-41b9a7aaabc7_story.html

Navy moving ships out of Hurricane Sandy’s path
By Associated Press, <!-- For AP News Registry --> <abbr class="updated" title="2012-10-26T21:14:18-0400">Oct 26, 2012 09:14 PM EDT</abbr>
AP <!-- /For AP News Registry --> Published: October 26
<!-- /byline --> WASHINGTON — The U.S. military will be moving ships from the Norfolk Naval Station region in Virginia out to sea to get out of the path of Hurricane Sandy.

The Navy says 24 of the larger ships in southeastern Virginia bases, including the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman, are preparing to leave and will be moving out over the next day or so. The orders affect ships at Naval Station Norfolk and Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story in the Hamption Roads area...

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Can you think of a better way to make sure others do not follow the example? He was warned, then thread banned.

Yes. I would advise that he be ignored. But some might not want to ignore said poster. I note on other threads where he is currently posting that he appears to support our side of things.

Forgive me for being an advocate for the constitution and the bill of rights. I may be the odd ball here in that respect.

Kathianne
10-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Yes. I would advise that he be ignored. But some might not want to ignore said poster. I note on other threads where he is currently posting that he appears to support our side of things.

Forgive me for being an advocate for the constitution and the bill of rights. I may be the odd ball here in that respect.

You lose site of the fact that this is a 'private site.' The owner can refuse service, he just happens to be rather tolerant, under most circumstances.

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 05:24 PM

Do you also note that on these other threads we are not talking about one anothers personal lives, being in harms way & prayers for one another? You are the oddball here, as you seem to think common courtesy, respect & decency to one another should fall below freedom of speech and moderation.

Advocate another way if you must, but this is the last of discussing my decision. Going forward, the rules apply, and if you have that much of an issue - shoot "Abbey" a PM who will have more patience on the subject than I, but I assure you will have the same stance.

aboutime
10-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Call me Old fashioned if any of you must. But. Why does anyone need to come to a thread like this to create more hate, and discontent about a subject....ALL OF US may have a genuine, human interest in. Without making it a FREE FOR ALL, fight-fest to make someone feel superior, or prove they are disgusting over such TRIVIAL, PHONY reasoning?

This thread was created for the purpose of MEMBERS who wished to share their STORM experiences, or news of the storm that MAY HAVE HELPED other Human Beings.

Nothing more. Nothing less. As my father used to remind me. Many, many years ago. Children should be seen, and not heard.

Last time I checked. All of us ARE Adults here.

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 05:30 PM
We are getting some VERY high winds now. It feels like the entire house rumbles a bit when the gusts hit. I heard a loud bang hit the front of the house and went on the front porch to find about a 20ft limb or so, but not real thick, had come off of some tree and found it's way to us! We have some massive trees across the street from my house and they are being tossed around like twigs, but still standing.

Might not be long before I am off here though as we are experiencing short brown outs and the lights are flickering a lot. My poor doggies are acting like its the apocalypse and whining and can't sit still.

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Call me Old fashioned if any of you must. But. Why does anyone need to come to a thread like this to create more hate, and discontent about a subject....ALL OF US may have a genuine, human interest in. Without making it a FREE FOR ALL, fight-fest to make someone feel superior, or prove they are disgusting over such TRIVIAL, PHONY reasoning?

This thread was created for the purpose of MEMBERS who wished to share their STORM experiences, or news of the storm that MAY HAVE HELPED other Human Beings.

Nothing more. Nothing less. As my father used to remind me. Many, many years ago. Children should be seen, and not heard.

Last time I checked. All of us ARE Adults here.

One thought it was a great place to be a jokester and another wants to question my decision to remove the jokester, over and over, no matter how many times I have explained it. This is the last of it, in this thread anyway. They are free to PM me if they like, or they can open a thread in the 'steel cage' forum if they like, and I'll be happy to explain myself in less polite terms. :)

Gaffer
10-29-2012, 05:37 PM
So it seems Ohio is getting hit with high winds tonight and we can expect some power outages. Duke energy is already gearing up for it. Even Chicago is likely to be effected. That's one hell of a storm.

aboutime
10-29-2012, 05:46 PM
So it seems Ohio is getting hit with high winds tonight and we can expect some power outages. Duke energy is already gearing up for it. Even Chicago is likely to be effected. That's one hell of a storm.

Gaffer. They weren't kidding when they announced it would be a SUPER, SUPER storm. Even down here in Virginia. We're now getting the Western winds that originated on the East side of the storm....at sea, but have now gone in a full circle.

Ohio, Pennsylvania, W. Virginia, Kentucky, and even Tennessee are feeling the effects of the Cold front, combined with heavy rains and wind...making SNOW Conditions even worse.

This is a huge storm that is just TAKING IT'S TIME...bringing pain, and ruin to something along the lines of 60 Million people.

If you pray. Tonight may be the time to do it. If you don't pray, and the winds, rain, snow, and your power is out.

JUST SNEEZE. Then BLESS YOURSELF.

Kathianne
10-29-2012, 06:06 PM

Yep, Chicago has wind advisories going from 1 am this morning until sometime Wed. Also it seems that Lake Michigan may have waves from 16-25'. Unreal.

jimnyc
10-29-2012, 06:27 PM
posting from crappy cell phone. lost all power and getting walloped by storm. branches galore and who knows what else hitting house. i hate not having power, hope its not for long. my last post till then as i cant post with this thing. best wishes to all, hope this passes by and we get power back

jafar00
10-29-2012, 07:10 PM
posting from crappy cell phone. lost all power and getting walloped by storm. branches galore and who knows what else hitting house. i hate not having power, hope its not for long. my last post till then as i cant post with this thing. best wishes to all, hope this passes by and we get power back

Praying for you and the others from DP stuck in this storm to come through it safely.

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Jim

For some unknown reason, you seem hell bent to get on my nerves and try to turn me into your enemy.

And that is the last thing I want. Will you please stop ranting against me?

I have endured some of your taunts today and it is time to stop.

Thank you.

Kathianne
10-29-2012, 07:40 PM
http://www.jammiewf.com/2012/angry-christie-unloads-on-atlantic-city-mayor-for-ignoring-evacuation-orders/

<header> Angry Christie Unloads on Atlantic City Mayor For Ignoring Evacuation Orders

Posted by Jammie (http://www.jammiewf.com/author/jammie/) on Oct 29, 2012 at 6:35 pm

</header> http://www.jammiewf.com/assets/langford-150x150.jpg
I saw this a short time ago during Chris Christie’s latest briefing. Basically there were urgent warnings to get out Saturday, and it appears many of the residents of Atlantic City, at the urging of the mayor, ignored them. Buses were available but nobody got on them.

Now Atlantic City is under water (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/gov_christie_blasts_ac_mayor_f.html).
Gov. Chris Christie this evening issued an angry rebuke to Atlantic City Mayor Lorenzo Langford for allowing people to shelter at schools in that community rather than evacuate. Christie said one school is now flooded.

“For those elected officials who decided to ignore my admonition, this is now your responsibility,” Christie said at a news conference at the State Police Regional Operations Intelligence Center, the location of the emergency operations command center.

The governor said he cannot quantify how many people decided to shelter at the schools within the city, but he said no rescues will occur from this evening until the morning. He said a 21-member strike team is in place with boats to assist come dawn.

Christie said he also does not know if people are still stuck in one school near the bay that has flooded.

“We’re at a moment now where evacuation is no longer possible and we’re no longer able to come and rescue people,” Christie said.

At a news conference Saturday, Langford and his administration acknowledged their poor exit strategy during Tropical Storm Irene last year would likely cause many of the city’s nearly 40,000 residents to stay put during Sandy to protect their homes and stores.

“Last year we had many residents on school buses, especially elderly residents, for hours at a time,” said Tom Foley, the city’s director of emergency management. “It was totally unacceptable. We think we have a better plan this time.”

How’s that working out now, Mr. Foley? Here’s what he actually had to say (http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/press/atlantic/christie-slams-atlantic-city-mayor-langford-for-sheltering-people-in/article_fd41f706-2212-11e2-a7b5-001a4bcf887a.html) tonight.
“We’re trying to deal with a hurricane, we’re not worried about that b.s.,” city Office of Emergency Management Director Tom Foley said via cell phone. “We’re trying to move people right now.”

Unimaginable incompetence at work here. Now they’re trying to move people as the storm makes landfall?
<embed height="324" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="550" src="http://media.nbcphiladelphia.com/assets/pdk449/pdk/swf/flvPlayer.swf?pid=%7BreleasePID%7D" flashvars="v=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbcphiladelphia.com%2Fi%2Fembed _new%2F%3Fcid%3D176329871%26path=%2F%2Fnews%2Floca l" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always">
View more videos at: http://nbcphiladelphia.com (http://nbcphiladelphia.com/?__source=embedCode).

Kathianne
10-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Could a mod/admin please change title to NJ?

Gaffer
10-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Another incompetent democrat mayor who will probably be responsible for many deaths.

hjmick
10-29-2012, 08:03 PM

Hey Gaff, where in the Buckeye state might you be found? I have family the state and am curious how far west this is reaching.

Feel free to respond in a PM if you wish to protect this information...

Gaffer
10-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Hey Gaff, where in the Buckeye state might you be found? I have family the state and am curious how far west this is reaching.

Feel free to respond in a PM if you wish to protect this information...

I'm near Cincinnati. The storm has already reached us. It's been cloudy, rainy and windy all day. They said the wind is suppose to get worse tonight.

hjmick
10-29-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm near Cincinnati. The storm has already reached us. It's been cloudy, rainy and windy all day. They said the wind is suppose to get worse tonight.

Damn. I have family there, Dayton, Chillicothe, and Columbus.

Perhaps I should check in with 'em...

aboutime
10-29-2012, 09:37 PM
http://www.jammiewf.com/2012/angry-christie-unloads-on-atlantic-city-mayor-for-ignoring-evacuation-orders/

If Yogi Berra was here. He'd say this is Deja Vu All Over Again! Like the second coming of NEW ORLEANS, in Katrina's revisit to Atlantic City...per the DEMOCRAT Mayor who did exactly like RAY HAGEN once did.

Only this time....Democrats and Obama can't blame BUSH.

Better yet. They can't blame Christie either.

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Bush had everything in place to deal with the hurricane, but how could he defend against a Flood?

Nagin sat on his butt and did not evacuate NO. Don't know why he did that given his busses were sitting parked and later got flooded.

Blanco refused to give Bush the green light so how was Bush supposed to help her state?

I heard today some punk person still blaming Bush for Katrina. I wish I was there to explain what really took place. She did it on CSPAN so what she said is of record.

Robert A Whit
10-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Make no mistake, I like Jimmy. Maybe I expect too much given he is under pressure of a major storm. I sure don't want any bad blood over me defending the rights of posters to post.

gabosaurus
10-29-2012, 11:32 PM
I am currently praying for all East Coast DP posters. I sincerely hope you are all managing. Please stay safe in the storm.
I have been through earthquakes and other types of disasters, but the concept of a hurricane is quite foreign to me.

In the "more than a bit crazy" department, my husband has been keeping up with some investment traders who decided to remain in their offices in Lower Manhattan to monitor the markets. They now have no power and are stranded in a building with flooded lower floors.

Please continue reporting your status here on DP. My daughter even asked me "are the people on your message board OK?" She knows what is going on.
God bless all of you in harm's way. :salute:

gabosaurus
10-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Bush had everything in place to deal with the hurricane, but how could he defend against a Flood?

Nagin sat on his butt and did not evacuate NO. Don't know why he did that given his busses were sitting parked and later got flooded.

Blanco refused to give Bush the green light so how was Bush supposed to help her state?

I heard today some punk person still blaming Bush for Katrina. I wish I was there to explain what really took place. She did it on CSPAN so what she said is of record.

If you wish to discuss how badly Bush screwed up Katrina, I wish you would do it outside the lounge. This is not a place to argue about incompetency. :cool:

SassyLady
10-30-2012, 01:51 AM
Make no mistake, I like Jimmy. Maybe I expect too much given he is under pressure of a major storm. I sure don't want any bad blood over me defending the rights of posters to post.

Here's my free speech 2 cents worth, Robert. Please shut up about free speech in this thread.

SassyLady
10-30-2012, 01:53 AM
Prayers for all ........ hope Abbey is OK ... haven't heard from her all day.

red states rule
10-30-2012, 03:21 AM

I pray she does not have power and that is the reason

red states rule
10-30-2012, 03:23 AM
Sea water floods Ground Zero

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/ground-zero-hurricane-sandy-620x413.jpg

and Manhattan goes dark

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/600x3879.jpg

Kathianne
10-30-2012, 03:44 AM

I was thinking the same.

I've yet to hear from my niece, she and her husband are in the financial district of Manhattan.

red states rule
10-30-2012, 03:51 AM
I have been checking the automated line to see if my site will be open and still no updates. I called the local radio station and was told the section of town where the site is (including a Wal Mart) is without power.

It is still raining here and the wind is in the 20's

I think I will stay put for the day.

red states rule
10-30-2012, 06:16 AM
Here is a MASSIVE explosion at a Con Ed plant thanks to Sandy

http://youtu.be/ZAqYZ433TeQ

Gaffer
10-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Damn. I have family there, Dayton, Chillicothe, and Columbus.

Perhaps I should check in with 'em...

Well, you might check with them. We are having a lot of rain and some wind here this morning but not as strong as last night. I guess we need to see how soon it turns west again. We have had nothing to get alarmed about here. Of course with a storm like this it could take a day or so for the bad stuff to show up if it doesn't peter out between there and here.

About three years ago we had hurricane winds here. A left over from a storm in the gulf. We were out of power for a week. And there wasn't any warning so no time to prepare.

Gaffer
10-30-2012, 08:20 AM
I have been checking the automated line to see if my site will be open and still no updates. I called the local radio station and was told the section of town where the site is (including a Wal Mart) is without power.

It is still raining here and the wind is in the 20's

I think I will stay put for the day.

So far everyone seems to be safe, just without power. Hope to hear at least something from the others so we know everyone is alright. No power is an inconvenience and damage can be repaired. But I also sense a lot of people are going to be out of work for a while. Another shot to the economy.

Abbey Marie
10-30-2012, 07:00 PM

T, you didn't move to NY, did you?

Abbey Marie
10-30-2012, 07:02 PM
I wanted to let everyone know that we are all fine here. It was a very scary night, and I drank a few glasses of wine to get through it.

Thank you to everyone who said they would pray for me. I thought about those prayers when the wind sounded the worst.

Abbey Marie
10-30-2012, 07:03 PM
I pray she does not have power and that is the reason

Thank you T and others who were wondering. I am still here and VERY grateful to be, and that we have an intact home.

Abbey Marie
10-30-2012, 07:20 PM

It's good policy. We also make removals public so others will hopefully not continue to tear at someone who can no longer respond.

Robert A Whit
10-30-2012, 07:30 PM
If you wish to discuss how badly Bush screwed up Katrina, I wish you would do it outside the lounge. This is not a place to argue about incompetency. :cool:

Maybe you should take into account that I don't as of this instant understand all the rules you guys claim to follow.

Bush did not screw up anything. Clearly some of you don't understand either FEMA or the rules the Feds set up to get FEMA in operation.

Remember, the only state that whined was LA. The rest of the states were happy with what Bush did for them.

jimnyc
10-30-2012, 07:32 PM
drove 10 miles to steal someones internet signal. power popped on about 5pm and died again 10 minutes later, they say it may be later tonight, up till 7-10 daya before we get power. House is inundated with crap and I'm bored senseless with no power. Entire town looks like a major war zone. Very depressing. I grew up going to Jersey Shore, mostly Seaside Heights. I hear the boardwalk went out to shore and all is gone. This royally sucks. Can barely make cell calls either as they keep dropping or phone switches to emergency calls only.

Battery dying on laptop and can't charge. I did see some well wishes and thanks to one and all. Will pop back on if I can find a way to charge or get back on, cell won't let me anymore.

Hope everyone else is doing well!!!

Robert A Whit
10-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Here's my free speech 2 cents worth, Robert. Please shut up about free speech in this thread.

I speak to the intelligent. Sorry you don't include yourself. Next time you tell me to shut up, just don't hit send.

Abbey Marie
10-30-2012, 07:34 PM

Well, Robert, I might suggest that you are free to experience your version of online utopia by starting your own board. Until then, you might as well get used to the fact that Jim runs his board (as I've said earlier) as his long time experience shows him is best. The fact that you continue page after page to press this issue, especially in light of all the people posting about being in harm's way, is disturbing.

Robert A Whit
10-30-2012, 07:35 PM
drove 10 miles to steal someones internet signal. power popped on about 5pm and died again 10 minutes later, they say it may be later tonight, up till 7-10 daya before we get power. House is inundated with crap and I'm bored senseless with no power. Entire town looks like a major war zone. Very depressing. I grew up going to Jersey Shore, mostly Seaside Heights. I hear the boardwalk went out to shore and all is gone. This royally sucks. Can barely make cell calls either as they keep dropping or phone switches to emergency calls only.

Battery dying on laptop and can't charge. I did see some well wishes and thanks to one and all. Will pop back on if I can find a way to charge or get back on, cell won't let me anymore.

Thank you Jim. Though I have not been here long, I feel like I know you quite a bit. Best to you and family.

Abbey Marie
10-30-2012, 07:40 PM

Sure thing.

Kathianne
10-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Thank you and glad to see you here. Hope the home and family are good?

Abbey Marie
10-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Thank you and glad to see you here. Hope the home and family are good?

Thank you, we are!

Robert A Whit
10-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Well, Robert, I might suggest that you are free to experience your version of online utopia by starting your own board. Until then, you might as well get used to the fact that Jim runs his board (as I've said earlier) as his long time experience shows him is best. The fact that you continue page after page to press this issue, especially in light of all the people posting about being in harm's way, is disturbing.

Many times I have thanked you Abbey.

Not this time. Sorry to see you trying to stir up trouble.

SassyLady
10-31-2012, 01:08 AM
I speak to the intelligent. Sorry you don't include yourself. Next time you tell me to shut up, just don't hit send.

:deadhorse:

DragonStryk72
10-31-2012, 01:21 AM

I scored a 1480 on my SATs, a 99% on my ASVAB, 80% on the advanced placement test for the Nuclear Field of the US Navy, the only place in the military with a higher drop rate than the Navy Seals. Speaking for the intelligent Shut up. You are trolling, however you care to BS yourself about it. This is not about free speech, it is about basic human respect, courtesy and dignity. Learn those things, then speak.

Second, you are an incredible hypocrite, decrying free speech while in the next breath attempting to destroy that very thing. That is the very essence of hypocrisy, and you need to quit showing it.

No one has "stirred up" trouble, save for yourself.... You know, we'll use a basic scientific principle, since that's what intelligent people do. The simplest explanation is most often true. Basically, it is either every single person around you... or it's you. By that principle, it's you.

DragonStryk72
10-31-2012, 01:27 AM

Shit! I grew up going to that boardwalk. They had the BEST pizza.... granted, your arteries hardened just from the smell, but still. I've got family out that way, I'll have to check with mom and she if she's heard from them all.

Robert A Whit
10-31-2012, 01:30 AM
I scored a 1480 on my SATs, a 99% on my ASVAB, 80% on the advanced placement test for the Nuclear Field of the US Navy, the only place in the military with a higher drop rate than the Navy Seals. Speaking for the intelligent Shut up. You are trolling, however you care to BS yourself about it. This is not about free speech, it is about basic human respect, courtesy and dignity. Learn those things, then speak.

Second, you are an incredible hypocrite, decrying free speech while in the next breath attempting to destroy that very thing. That is the very essence of hypocrisy, and you need to quit showing it.

No one has "stirred up" trouble, save for yourself.... You know, we'll use a basic scientific principle, since that's what intelligent people do. The simplest explanation is most often true. Basically, it is either every single person around you... or it's you. By that principle, it's you.

First, there is a lot you don't know.
A. I had told Jimmy I am sorry yesterday.
B. I started him out with a compliment.
C. Some of you feel hell bent for leather to pick a fight.
D. I don't give one bat guano what you say.

I have not started a fight with anybody. But some of you sure are picking one with me.

Ask Jimmy wnat I told him in a private message before blowing off again.

Some of you duds need to learn peace and harmony.

Oh, you if you want to know why I told him I am sorry, it is not for what I did, it is because of the problems the man is having. I decided to take into account he must be under a lot of stress.

And yes, are you proud to represent him the way you do?

Guys like you really tick me off.

SassyLady
10-31-2012, 01:42 AM

I have not started a fight with anybody. But some of you sure are picking one with me.

Oh, you if you want to know why I told him I am sorry, it is not for what I did, it is because of the problems the man is having. I decided to take into account he must be under a lot of stress.

Time to move this discussion to the Cage, Mr. Whit. Please come down and let's not derail this thread any further.

DragonStryk72
10-31-2012, 01:49 AM
A. I had told Jimmy I am sorry yesterday. Which in no way absolves you of insinuating that Sassy is stupid.
B. I started him out with a compliment. Again, doesn't matter when you then go through and start insulting people left and right, like you do later in this very post.
C. Some of you feel hell bent for leather to pick a fight. No, but we do finish one when started. Just ask JWK or Wind Song... oh wait.
D. I don't give one bat guano what you say. A Blatant lie. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be responding.

I have not started a fight with anybody. But some of you sure are picking one with me. Again, no we aren't. We're trying to get you to stop being disrespectful and rude, and yes, when you go after someone like Sassy in the way that you did, prepare to hear about it. I have a strong dislike for bullies, even the pseudo-intellectual version on them.

Ask Jimmy wnat I told him in a private message before blowing off again. Can't, it's against board rules. What happens in PM, stays in PM, a policy I do agree with.

Some of you duds need to learn peace and harmony. You insult people while calling for harmony and peace? Do I even need to explain to you how hypocritical that is of you, or how much it works directly against your stated desire? You might as well have said, "All you motherfuckers and assholes need to stop swearing!"

Oh, you if you want to know why I told him I am sorry, it is not for what I did, it is because of the problems the man is having. I decided to take into account he must be under a lot of stress. Didn't ask, and WHY you're acting like you were never taught proper manners or respect is irrelevant to the point that you are acting in that manner.

And yes, are you proud to represent him the way you do? With honor and dignity? Yes, I am. Thanks for asking. I merely took you to task for your own actions in this thread, and did so without insulting you.

Good, I'm happy I do. I will always feel a sense of joy when someone acting like you have here is ticked off about being scolded for it, but again, you've put lie to your point about not caring. If you didn't care, you wouldn't post on this board, you wouldn't post in this thread, and you wouldn't have replied to me.

SassyLady
10-31-2012, 01:57 AM
It was good to hear that Abbey, Jim and everyone else who were in the path of Sandy are OK ..... :dance:

{{{{{{{{{{{cyberhug for everyone caught in Sandy's path}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Gaffer
10-31-2012, 08:16 AM
We have had lots of wind and rain here for three days. Pretty strong gusts. The Romney sign is still standing in the front yard tho.

gabosaurus
10-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Bruce Springsteen wrote this song for New York City after 9-11, but I believe it is just as applicable now.

My City of Ruins
words and music by Bruce Springsteen

There's a blood red circle
On the cold dark ground
And the rain is falling down
The church door's thrown open
I can hear the organ's song
But the congregation's gone
My city of ruins
My city of ruins

Now the sweet bells of mercy
Drift through the evening trees
Young men on the corner
Like scattered leaves
The boarded up windows
The empty streets
While my brother's down on his knees
My city of ruins
My city of ruins

Come on rise up! Come on rise up!

Now there's tears on the pillow
Darlin' where we slept
And you took my heart when you left
Without your sweet kiss
My soul is lost, my friend
Tell me how do I begin again?
My city's in ruins
My city's in ruins

Now with these hands
With these hands
With these hands
With these hands
I pray Lord
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for the strength, Lord
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for the faith, Lord
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for your love, Lord
With these hands
With these hands
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for your love, Lord
With these hands
With these hands
I pray for the faith, Lord
With these hands
With these hands

Come on, rise up!
Come on, rise up!

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 11:29 AM
still no power, now food is going bad. looks like some power in few places around county. trees still on lines all over place. lines about a mile long for one gas station open. everyone walking. i saw another thread that downplayed the strength of this storm, pure 100 percent ignorance. countless homes destroyed and many many lives. billions of dollars in damage. its downright scary to drive around and see the damage. jersey is sad, goodbye shore and boardwalk. took me 2hrs to login with this piece of crap dumb phone. hopefully power soon. hope u r all doing well!

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 11:34 AM
still no power, now food is going bad. looks like some power in few places around county. trees still on lines all over place. lines about a mile long for one gas station open. everyone walking. i saw another thread that downplayed the strength of this storm, pure 100 percent ignorance. countless homes destroyed and many many lives. billions of dollars in damage. its downright scary to drive around and see the damage. jersey is sad, goodbye shore and boardwalk. took me 2hrs to login with this piece of crap dumb phone. hopefully power soon. hope u r all doing well!

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Power came up a short while ago and I'm crossing my fingers that it stays up this time!!!

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Praying for you and the others from DP stuck in this storm to come through it safely.

Thank you! Much appreciated!

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 12:47 PM

NJ? I don't see anything in the title referring to a location? Even if it did, NYC, Long Island, Westchester, Connecticut - all got hammered and lots of homes and business lost, and of course anything on the coast was completely destroyed. Jersey got the worst of it, especially Seaside Heights, Point Pleasant, Mantoloking, Belmar... But far too many areas destroyed to place the devastation into one area. This was a monster!!

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 12:56 PM

Maybe you should take into account that I don't as of this instant understand all the rules you guys claim to follow.

Bush did not screw up anything. Clearly some of you don't understand either FEMA or the rules the Feds set up to get FEMA in operation.

Remember, the only state that whined was LA. The rest of the states were happy with what Bush did for them.

Many times I have thanked you Abbey.

Not this time. Sorry to see you trying to stir up trouble.

Good, I'm happy I do. I will always feel a sense of joy when someone acting like you have here is ticked off about being scolded for it, but again, you've put lie to your point about not caring. If you didn't care, you wouldn't post on this board, you wouldn't post in this thread, and you wouldn't have replied to me.

Not sure why I chose the posts I did, was just clicking things off as I caught up with this thread. I'm very disappointed to see the brouhaha continued after I lost power. I see a few tried to bring the peace and explain my decision, but apparently it's fallen on deaf ears. It's a shame that this thread got politicized and the talk of moderation continued - while others were without power, losing their homes or portion of them, watching their food go bad and watching their neighbors and neighboring cities get destroyed.

And Robert, I haven't read my PM's yet which you refer to, but I will and will further reply there. I will say though, anything I said or did WAS NOT under pressure of any sort, but under common decency and common sense. You can complain about free speech and why the idiotic 007 was removed from this thread, but it will fall on deaf ears. His idiocy in this thread simply wasn't going to be tolerated, and that's that. There's no need for ANYONE to explain that AT ALL, or give reasoning or explain rules. And you can say Abbey stirred up trouble all you like, but she didn't. She's an administrator here, and when I can't be online she speaks for me. If anyone has an issue with decisions, bring it to PM with her or myself. But reading about the shit that people are going through on the East Coast - and then reading the childish complaints, makes me sad.

I hope we can all just let it go now and move forward.

aboutime
10-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Come on everyone. GROW UP. Why do so many have to create stupid arguments over such things here?

To an outsider, just visiting here. This forum sounds more like some children, taking advantage of their teacher leaving the room, and all of you are looking at PORN until the teacher comes back.

What a shame it is to see, and hear supposed Grown up human beings complaining about such crap here. When there are Members...namely, the one I am talking to now...who LOST EVERYTHING.

None of you spoiled ASSHOLES out there complaining about simple things even know. Members of this forum. ARE NOT IN THEIR OWN HOME anymore.

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU!

Robert A Whit
10-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Not sure why I chose the posts I did, was just clicking things off as I caught up with this thread. I'm very disappointed to see the brouhaha continued after I lost power. I see a few tried to bring the peace and explain my decision, but apparently it's fallen on deaf ears. It's a shame that this thread got politicized and the talk of moderation continued - while others were without power, losing their homes or portion of them, watching their food go bad and watching their neighbors and neighboring cities get destroyed.

And Robert, I haven't read my PM's yet which you refer to, but I will and will further reply there. I will say though, anything I said or did WAS NOT under pressure of any sort, but under common decency and common sense. You can complain about free speech and why the idiotic 007 was removed from this thread, but it will fall on deaf ears. His idiocy in this thread simply wasn't going to be tolerated, and that's that. There's no need for ANYONE to explain that AT ALL, or give reasoning or explain rules. And you can say Abbey stirred up trouble all you like, but she didn't. She's an administrator here, and when I can't be online she speaks for me. If anyone has an issue with decisions, bring it to PM with her or myself. But reading about the shit that people are going through on the East Coast - and then reading the childish complaints, makes me sad.

I hope we can all just let it go now and move forward.

I replied by PM and plan to leave it at that.

Kathianne
10-31-2012, 01:50 PM
NJ? I don't see anything in the title referring to a location? Even if it did, NYC, Long Island, Westchester, Connecticut - all got hammered and lots of homes and business lost, and of course anything on the coast was completely destroyed. Jersey got the worst of it, especially Seaside Heights, Point Pleasant, Mantoloking, Belmar... But far too many areas destroyed to place the devastation into one area. This was a monster!!

That wasn't about the OP title, rather one of mine. Abbey already fixed! Thanks.

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 02:01 PM
That wasn't about the OP title, rather one of mine. Abbey already fixed! Thanks.

My bad, I'm sorry! I didn't think so anyway, as I didn't see a reference to a location in the title anyway, but I also didn't look at a title for your post, I immediately referred to the title of the thread. My brain is still confused and needs food! I need to go food shopping in a few minutes to replenish the crap we tossed out from the fridge!

Kathianne
10-31-2012, 02:09 PM
My bad, I'm sorry! I didn't think so anyway, as I didn't see a reference to a location in the title anyway, but I also didn't look at a title for your post, I immediately referred to the title of the thread. My brain is still confused and needs food! I need to go food shopping in a few minutes to replenish the crap we tossed out from the fridge!

No problem!

Abbey Marie
10-31-2012, 03:20 PM

Hang in there, Jim! Your patience will be tried this week for sure. I know you are grateful that your family and your home are intact. I will be on as much as possible.

Robert A Whit
10-31-2012, 03:28 PM
If any of you, who were impacted by the storm, will go back to the first post in this topic, study my replies ... surely you will notice my compassion for all of you.

I posted what I hoped to be sound sdvice to save you from harm.
I stated I hoped you were safe and would remain safe and that I prayed for you.

Now, I don't plan to waste time over the attacks made on me, but please, go back and review all my kindness on display.

Soembody said there was no need to turn this ugly.

I agree. I wish it had not happened on this thread.

red states rule
10-31-2012, 03:38 PM
T, you didn't move to NY, did you?

No Abbey. I simply did all I could do to make sure I am ready for a loss of power. But the power stayed on and I will NEVER bitch about my light bill again

I am verry happy you, Jim, and everyone else who get hit with the storm are OK

The power of prayer should not be underestimated

jafar00
10-31-2012, 03:44 PM

Welcome to the 3rd world :D

Seriously though, hang in there. Thank God the storm wasn't more serious and all you have to deal with is some inconvenience.

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Welcome to the 3rd world :D

Seriously though, hang in there. Thank God the storm wasn't more serious and all you have to deal with is some inconvenience.

Without a doubt, as horrible as it was, if it were a category 4 like we've seen in other parts of the US, I could only imagine what it would have done to this area.

We have power back, and a house, and we're all safe and sound - which is the MAIN thing, which unfortunately not everyone can say after this storm. But the Northeast is resilient! While it sucks to be without power, you can go far without seeing workers cutting trees, verizon pulling new lines, con-ed working on a transformer, people sweeping - people helping their neighbors, tractor trailers full of food - just everyone pitching in and helping one another. I'm not a real sociable person, but it's hard not to be when you end up at one of the only places around with power, and people are telling stories and offering help to one another.

NY sucks a lot, but when things get bad, the people drop all their harsh feelings and work together for some reason. Things will be rebuilt and almost everyone will get through this and move on, and then we can all fight again and hate one another! LOL

Abbey Marie
10-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Without a doubt, as horrible as it was, if it were a category 4 like we've seen in other parts of the US, I could only imagine what it would have done to this area.

We have power back, and a house, and we're all safe and sound - which is the MAIN thing, which unfortunately not everyone can say after this storm. But the Northeast is resilient! While it sucks to be without power, you can go far without seeing workers cutting trees, verizon pulling new lines, con-ed working on a transformer, people sweeping - people helping their neighbors, tractor trailers full of food - just everyone pitching in and helping one another. I'm not a real sociable person, but it's hard not to be when you end up at one of the only places around with power, and people are telling stories and offering help to one another.

NY sucks a lot, but when things get bad, the people drop all their harsh feelings and work together for some reason. Things will be rebuilt and almost everyone will get through this and move on, and then we can all fight again and hate one another! LOL

Much easier to fight for a subway seat when you aren't weakened from hunger!

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Much easier to fight for a subway seat when you aren't weakened from hunger!

Hell, there probably won't be subways until next week! LOL

A lot of it is still under water, but they have a massive amount of crews pumping them clean. The MTA buses resumed and are free as of last night and today. The Metro North, the railroad from my area into the city, is back up but on a VERY limited schedule. Schools throughout the 5 boros are closed till next week, as are the schools here in Westchester. The Brooklyn Battery tunnel, Holland Tunnel and others are closed, but the GWB, Verazanno & Tappan Zee opened back up today. You should see the traffic building up now that things are slowly opening back up - you couldn't pay me enough to go into the City!!

But the A & P near me is open for business, so I have groceries, and I see that the local pizzeria is open as well. That'll hold us for a bit. :)

Abbey Marie
10-31-2012, 04:47 PM
What I have learned from watching umpteen hours of storm coverage, is that the worst places to be during a Hurricane are directly on a barrier island right near where it is making landfall (duh), and near the northern quadrant, where the winds and rain seem to be the most fierce.

Robert A Whit
10-31-2012, 04:49 PM

As you can testify, I have been very kind to all of you that endured that terrible storm.

I chalk up sone of your replies to me in PM and on the boards to you living in that city.

I have run into the rudest people on planet earth in that city. Not saying you are that rude though.

I keep recalling that my last wife came from Long Island.

Robert A Whit
10-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Hell, there probably won't be subways until next week! LOL

A lot of it is still under water, but they have a massive amount of crews pumping them clean. The MTA buses resumed and are free as of last night and today. The Metro North, the railroad from my area into the city, is back up but on a VERY limited schedule. Schools throughout the 5 boros are closed till next week, as are the schools here in Westchester. The Brooklyn Battery tunnel, Holland Tunnel and others are closed, but the GWB, Verazanno & Tappan Zee opened back up today. You should see the traffic building up now that things are slowly opening back up - you couldn't pay me enough to go into the City!!

But the A & P near me is open for business, so I have groceries, and I see that the local pizzeria is open as well. That'll hold us for a bit. :)

Keep trying to smile. Thanks again for the local report. I have driven through the Holland Tunnel and trying to imagine it full of water, well ... terrible. Last time I was in NJ, I stayed in a motel very near the Holland Tunnel.

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 04:55 PM
As you can testify, I have been very kind to all of you that endured that terrible storm.

I chalk up sone of your replies to me in PM and on the boards to you living in that city.

I have run into the rudest people on planet earth in that city. Not saying you are that rude though.

I keep recalling that my last wife came from Long Island.

I've been VERY tolerant with you and have given you PLENTY of room to air your grievances. But PM's are private, and the bitching outside of the thread subject has went on here long enough. Go participate in other threads, you're history from this one too, as it appears it will be the ONLY way we can discuss the subject without you continually tossing in your snide remarks.

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 06:13 PM
At his polite request, I have placed Robert back in this thread. I'm hoping we can all move forward, keeping the discussion civil, and about the storm and after effects. There is no need for anymore animosity.

Robert A Whit
10-31-2012, 06:21 PM
At his polite request, I have placed Robert back in this thread. I'm hoping we can all move forward, keeping the discussion civil, and about the storm and after effects. There is no need for anymore animosity.

Thank you Jim. I appreciate this more than you know.

DragonStryk72
10-31-2012, 08:00 PM

Jesus, yeah I hate to say it, but a Cat 4... there wouldn't be a NYC anymore. The windshear itself would collapse the tallest buildings, which simply are not set up to withstand those sorts of forces, and that's before the water hits. Keep in mind that New Orleans was actually prepared to receive hurricanes, just not the size that they got nailed with. A smaller hurricane, and the countermeasures would have held. NYC does not have such precautions, because it's not something they've yet had to really deal with.

Abbey Marie
10-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Anyone else see Cuomo talking to a reporter right after the storm, saying it was caused by global warming?

aboutime
10-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Anyone else see Cuomo talking to a reporter right after the storm, saying it was caused by global warming?

Abbey. Not surprising. Cuomo probably has BIG BUCKS invested in the AL GORE Carbon Footprint Patrol.