PDA

View Full Version : NY police spy on muslim college students!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-27-2012, 05:32 PM
http://t.news.msn.com/us/nyc-college-president-troubled-by-nypd-spying/

<ARTICLE class=articlecontent sizset="0" sizcache06375657028763852="3"><HEADER> NYC college president troubled by NYPD spying</HEADER><SECTION class=storyimage>
<SECTION class=partnerlogo>http://col.stb.s-msn.com/amnews/i/C8/982D6AEBF1CE5941B27229F7C36C83_h17_w0_m6_lfalse.jp g <TIME datetime="2012-10-27 19:28:16Z">2 hr ago</TIME> By David B. Caruso </SECTION></SECTION><SECTION sizset="0" sizcache06375657028763852="2">The New York Police Department paid a 19-year-old informant to attend lectures hosted by the Muslim Student Association at John Jay College, photograph attendees, and identify members and leaders.
<SECTION sizset="0" sizcache06375657028763852="1">NEW YORK — The president of the John Jay College of Criminal Justice says he is "deeply troubled" about reports that the New York Police Department sent a paid informant to spy on the school's club for Muslim students.
School President Jeremy Travis sent a letter recently to students and professors reacting to an Associated Press report on the 19-year-old informant, Shamiur Rahman, who said he quit working for the NYPD at the end of the summer after growing uncomfortable with the job.
Rahman said his assignments included attending lectures hosted by the Muslim Student Association, photographing people attending its events, and identifying its members and leaders.
The college, located in Manhattan, is attended by thousands of students hoping to pursue a career in law enforcement.
In the letter, Travis said he was unaware of the spying, and expressed concerns about using informants for surveillance where there was no evidence of a crime.
"Any surveillance practices that interfere with constitutionally protected activities such as free speech, freedom of association and the free exercise of religion must be considered inconsistent with the mission and values of our College," he wrote.
Police Department spokesman Paul Browne wouldn't comment on Travis' concerns. In an email Saturday, he contested only one part of the letter, in which Travis cited a recent media report by another news organization that quoted Browne as confirming that Rahman had indeed been an NYPD informant. Browne denied that he had made that confirmation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whats the problem with doing that? The most likely terrorists are young college age muslims. -Tyr

aboutime
10-27-2012, 05:38 PM
When we should all be worried about such stuff is....when Nobody is watching them as they pretend to be just, Innocent College students. Until one of them happens to meet an FBI informant who provides them enough PLASTIC Explosives to destroy a New York City Skyscraper.

NYPD is just doing their job. Anyone who doesn't like it, or how they are protecting them. Should probably LEAVE NYC.

revelarts
10-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Here's a little something maybe you guys never heard of.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_L7pWOO5HQcY/TDXI-UquFRI/AAAAAAAAAK0/13hfyUEYMEw/s1600/bill+of+rights.jpg

aboutime
10-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Here's a little something maybe you guys never heard of.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_L7pWOO5HQcY/TDXI-UquFRI/AAAAAAAAAK0/13hfyUEYMEw/s1600/bill+of+rights.jpg

Rev. Your misrepresentation is noted. Bet you are one of those people who Insist the Terrorists being held in Gitmo deserve the same Rights, according to the Bill of Rights, as you do.

In case you are dumb enough to believe...Only you know about that document. You should be reminding Obama, and Holder about those RIGHTS, and how to obey them, rather than telling us.

tailfins
10-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Rev. Your misrepresentation is noted. Bet you are one of those people who Insist the Terrorists being held in Gitmo deserve the same Rights, according to the Bill of Rights, as you do.

In case you are dumb enough to believe...Only you know about that document. You should be reminding Obama, and Holder about those RIGHTS, and how to obey them, rather than telling us.

That's not the same thing. The OP is about lawful US residents being harassed by the police. Once police think is acceptable to treat one group that way, that treatment will spread to how they deal with everybody. That Pandora's Box should stay closed.

Missileman
10-27-2012, 07:33 PM
That's not the same thing. The OP is about lawful US residents being harassed by the police. Once police think is acceptable to treat one group that way, that treatment will spread to how they deal with everybody. That Pandora's Box should stay closed.

That's quite enough nonsense out of you, Liberal! :rolleyes:

aboutime
10-27-2012, 07:33 PM

Okay. Fine with me. Let them meet behind closed doors to plot more radical idea's, and put them to use.

It's not like...it's a Secret that the NYPD is doing it. Is it?

Otherwise. We wouldn't be talking about it here.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-27-2012, 07:41 PM

Whats the big deal ? The FBI and NSA have been spying on all of us for decades! You sure seem awful damn concerned about the muslims. Where you this concerned when they spied on Christian groups? Somehow I think you were not.. By the way they still do spy on Christian groups and do so with far less justification.-Tyr

aboutime
10-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Whats the big deal ? The FBI and NSA have been spying on all of us for decades! You sure seem awful damn concerned about the muslims. Where you this concerned when they spied on Christian groups? Somehow I think you were not.. By the way they still do spy on Christian groups and do so with far less justification.-Tyr

Tyr. But, we're expected to either forget that, or ignore it because IT'S NOT FAIR to bring facts like that into the picture. It tends to spoil, or ruin the other complaints.

But how much would they complain IF....the NYPD did nothing, and instead of an FBI sting, or Police sting happening.

Someone who attended one of those meetings of students....Makes another location in NYC...the new GROUND ZERO.

tailfins
10-27-2012, 07:47 PM

Swing and a miss! You're talking to someone that makes credible lawsuit threats to put up Nativity displays. Since the shopping season is upon us, here's how you can boycott participants in the war on Christmas:

http://action.afa.net/item.aspx?id=2147486887

jafar00
10-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Okay. Fine with me. Let them meet behind closed doors to plot more radical idea's, and put them to use.

It's not like...it's a Secret that the NYPD is doing it. Is it?

Otherwise. We wouldn't be talking about it here.

Paranoid much? Woah. :poke:

Kathianne
10-28-2012, 12:05 AM
May I suggest for those that think the behavior of the police was 'justified':

http://constitution.hillsdale.edu/page.aspx?pid=824

http://constitution.hillsdale.edu/201/medved

I often see folks throwing around 'The Constitution," seemingly without any knowledge of what it means.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-30-2012, 07:47 PM
May I suggest for those that think the behavior of the police was 'justified':

http://constitution.hillsdale.edu/page.aspx?pid=824

http://constitution.hillsdale.edu/201/medved

I often see folks throwing around 'The Constitution," seemingly without any knowledge of what it means.

There are about a half dozen agencies spying on all of us around the clock 24/7/365 .. Why is it that when one police force NYC decides to keep an eye on those most likely to commit acts of terror that people start screaming about the Constitution? How about all that other spying on all the rest of us? Doesnt it count? And if it does where is all the outrage about it? These questions and the answers to them highlight the hypocrisy of only screaming when its muslims being spied on...Me, I think if its alright to spy on law abiding citizens that have no special teachings (Islam) that commands them to commit acts of terror it should be alright to actually look at the ones that do.. This pass so many want to give the muslims is bullshat from the get go IMHO..
And by the way, I am pretty up to speed on the Constitution myself. Enough to understand if we true citizens are to be spied on with impunity then the muslims should get no special exemption!
Dont do it to us if the cry is dont do it to them.... Dont cry when they are the target if you dont cry when we are the target..
The truth is the government already tramples our Constitution and I'll be damned if I'll cry when it gets around to actually applying it to the most likely suspects..
They get a pass when we do , not before is my stand.. For to demand all spying on us stop is futile without any means to force it to happen. Currently we have no means, thats the reality of it all. -Tyr