PDA

View Full Version : Obama's offensive comment

Rjohnson
10-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Obama said something during his second debate that offended me. He said that guns should be kept out of the hands of the mentally ill. That comment suggested that every mentally ill person is capable of violence. That isn't true.

I'm mentally ill and I'm not violent. I've never committed a crime. I've never even gotten a jay walking ticket. My mom is also mentally ill and she's not violent either. She's one of the sweetest people alive. The majority of the mentally ill are harmless.

Yes, it's true that some mentally ill people are violent and those who show any signs of violent behavior shouldn't be allowed to own guns. But Obama didn't say that guns should be kept out of the hands of certain mentally ill people. He said they should be kept out of the hands of all mentally ill people.

Obama obviously thinks that mentally ill people are dangerous. That's prejudice. Let me give you an example. Some women kill people with guns. Would it be fair if I said that because some women are violent that guns should be kept out of the hands of all women? Of course it wouldn't be fair. That would be prejudice. And saying that guns should be kept out of the hands of the mentally ill is just as prejudice.

Obama was trying to gain more votes with his second debate but he lost one. And if he offended other mentally ill people, he may lose more.

Abbey Marie
10-31-2012, 04:24 PM
So, may I interpret that you were going to vote for Obama, and now you are voting for Romney? If so, welcome to the light!
:clap:

jimnyc
10-31-2012, 04:31 PM
Obama said something during his second debate that offended me. He said that guns should be kept out of the hands of the mentally ill. That comment suggested that every mentally ill person is capable of violence. That isn't true.

I'm mentally ill and I'm not violent. I've never committed a crime. I've never even gotten a jay walking ticket. My mom is also mentally ill and she's not violent either. She's one of the sweetest people alive. The majority of the mentally ill are harmless.

Yes, it's true that some mentally ill people are violent and those who show any signs of violent behavior shouldn't be allowed to own guns. But Obama didn't say that guns should be kept out of the hands of certain mentally ill people. He said they should be kept out of the hands of all mentally ill people.

Obama obviously thinks that mentally ill people are dangerous. That's prejudice. Let me give you an example. Some women kill people with guns. Would it be fair if I said that because some women are violent that guns should be kept out of the hands of all women? Of course it wouldn't be fair. That would be prejudice. And saying that guns should be kept out of the hands of the mentally ill is just as prejudice.

Obama was trying to gain more votes with his second debate but he lost one. And if he offended other mentally ill people, he may lose more.

First off, welcome to Debate Policy! :salute:

I suppose it all depends on the level of the illness. I suppose technically some could say I am mentally ill, but I have full control of my faculties. I agree that not all mentally ill people are violent. There should be a threshold of sorts. There are some mentally ill people that are schizo and such, and would turn violent like a pit bull would and perhaps not even remember it the next day, and those people might need to be disqualified. But I don't think we "immediately" disqualify anyone. WAY too many factors to answer that with the stroke of one brush.

aboutime
10-31-2012, 04:32 PM

You just missed Obama's point. He said that as a warning to keep weapons out of HIS HANDS. Obama and the Democrats are mutually offensive to the mentally Ill, because...there are so many of them who need REAL help.