PDA

View Full Version : Kids and Manners

Kathianne
10-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Interesting:

http://healthland.time.com/2012/10/18/you-annoyed-me-at-hello-why-kids-still-need-to-learn-manners/?iid=hl-main-belt

You Annoyed Me at Hello: Why Kids Still Need to Learn Manners By Carolyn Jones (http://healthland.time.com/contributor/carolyn-jones/)Oct. 18, 2012

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/10/18/you-annoyed-me-at-hello-why-kids-still-need-to-learn-manners/#ixzz2AuxIkzH0

What are manners today? My 'kids' are now in their late 20's, one 30. I had problems with adults wanting them to call them by their first names back when. By no means did I grow up in a 'stuffy' household, but adults were to be respected, under most circumstances. I learned the differences as I got older, my parents explained when adults were not acting appropriately, whether a neighbor, teacher, or store keeper.

Pretty much I made my children call adults, Mr or Mrs or Ms. One of my very best friends now, but not before my children were born, said upon meeting my kids, "Call me B..." Ummm, no. Mrs. W., is how they'll address you, I'm Mrs. N to your kids. That is how it was for over a year, then it changed to 'Aunt B., Aunt K. and husbands similar. One other friend, earlier, same thing in 'Aunt', then again, she was two of my kids godmother.

School parents? Always Mr. Mrs. or Ms. Teachers? OMG! ALWAYS with a title. Same with coaches, though 'Coach Bob' would work too.

Writing thank you notes? From 3 on, sometimes just drawings, with "Thank You" copied.

Please, excuse me, thank you and no, thank you; all taught and expected. Invited to dinner at someone's home? Clear your plate, unless told not to. Say, "Thank you for inviting me, I really liked XXXX, do NOT mention anything you did NOT like!"

Not so hard.

10-31-2012, 06:18 PM
A child may show good manners, but if an adult acts like a twat to that child, the child has a right to respond accordingly.
Automatic respect for adults?
not effin likely, you want my kids respect........earn it!
i don't give a flying fuck who the adult is, a cop on a power trip, a teacher forcing political opinions, any one!!
To put a child down and abuse a position of authority to do so is wrong!!

SassyLady
11-01-2012, 02:29 AM
A child may show good manners, but if an adult acts like a twat to that child, the child has a right to respond accordingly.
Automatic respect for adults?
not effin likely, you want my kids respect........earn it!
i don't give a flying fuck who the adult is, a cop on a power trip, a teacher forcing political opinions, any one!!
To put a child down and abuse a position of authority to do so is wrong!!

I never taught my children to disrespect an adult, even when the adult was being an ass. It was my responsibility to deal with the ass on my children's behalf. I am the one that determined if there was an abuse of authority, not my child. This means that it is very important to be involved in your children's lives so they tell you what interactions they have with the adults they come into contact with.

My daughter, and grandchildren, are always coming to us and asking it something was appropriate or not. And, if they know, based upon prior discussions, that the adult is being inappropriate, they are also educated about who to report the behavior to. They are not allowed to be disruptive or disrespectful.

Too many parents are abdicating their responsibility to confront and resolve these situations and the children are having to grow up too fast.

11-01-2012, 02:31 AM
I never taught my children to disrespect an adult, even when the adult was being an ass. It was my responsibility to deal with the ass on my children's behalf. I am the one that determined if there was an abuse of authority, not my child. This means that it is very important to be involved in your children's lives so they tell you what interactions they have with the adults they come into contact with.

My daughter, and grandchildren, are always coming to us and asking it something was appropriate or not. And, if they know, based upon prior discussions, that the adult is being inappropriate, they are also educated about who to report the behavior to. They are not allowed to be disruptive or disrespectful.

Too many parents are abdicating their responsibility to confront and resolve these situations and the children are having to grow up too fast.
Your parental attitude is what enabled jimmy Saville .

SassyLady
11-01-2012, 02:33 AM
Your parental attitude is what enabled jimmy Saville .

I doubt it.

I wouldn't have let the administrator off as easily as you did.