PDA

View Full Version : Romney's gracious concession speech

gabosaurus
11-07-2012, 01:05 AM
I sincerely hope that Dem and GOP leaders paid attention to Romney's concession speech late Tuesday.
I have to admire Romney for standing up in front of his crowd and asking for the two sides to put asides their partisan differences and work together for the good of the country.

Thunderknuckles
11-07-2012, 01:23 AM
You have to admit it is hollow Gabby.
The only thing I am thankful for is the retention of a Republican ruled House. And yes, I would say the same with for Democrats with a Republican ruled government.

Robert A Whit
11-07-2012, 01:38 AM
I sincerely hope that Dem and GOP leaders paid attention to Romney's concession speech late Tuesday.
I have to admire Romney for standing up in front of his crowd and asking for the two sides to put asides their partisan differences and work together for the good of the country.

We devoted all the past 4 years for the good of this country.
We knew the problems were just starting when Obama came to our meeting and proceeded to taunt and insult us. We knew the crap was deep.

How the hell can so many suffering Americans vote for that clown?

Thunderknuckles
11-07-2012, 01:53 AM
How the hell can so many suffering Americans vote for that clown?
Simple. They depend on Government for sustenance. It's no longer something to be ashamed about.

logroller
11-07-2012, 02:24 AM
The only thing I am thankful for is the retention of a Republican ruled House.
Not to disagree, but why?

Thunderknuckles
11-07-2012, 02:34 AM
Not to disagree, but why?
No ideology should ever go unchallenged. Not even my own.

11-07-2012, 03:48 AM
I find it interesting that Democrats are now suddenly admitting Romney isn't evil because of his concession speech. Despite smearing the man for the last year or so.

It's a shame he had to give one. But thankfully, as long as I live, I will not give up on this nation. I may not see the Republic restored to it's former glory but hopefully my daughter will see it.

Kathianne
11-07-2012, 03:54 AM
Closet to my thinking:

http://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/2012/11/06/the-pre-post-mortem/?singlepage=true

As I write this, the election is not yet decided. But it doesn’t look good for Romney, and it’s over for the Senate. But even if Romney does pull out a squeaker, what follows still holds true.

Tonight’s mystery is, there were constituencies which should have flocked to Romney after years of legal and extra-legal assaults. “Catholics and coal,” I said earlier.

Yet they didn’t. Why didn’t they?

Was it the largess of the last four years? Perhaps. If so, they’ll perhaps be hurt the most when one of two things happen. Either the gravy train will stop (was that Ryan’s threat to them?), or Obama will simply put them out of business. The Catholic church as an independent entity in this country is already an endangered species thanks to ObamaCare’s mandates. And we know exactly what Obama intends to (finish) doing to the coal industry. So why didn’t they turn the Industrial Midwest and the Great Lakes red tonight? I’m afraid they were bought off. I very much fear their bitterness when the gravy train does stop, as it must. Their reaction will be angry and unpredictable.

And that’s where I misread this electorate. It used to be a pretty sure thing in a democracy that, when the guy you supported screwed you, you would go with the other guy. Because in the end, that’s the only way to keep politicians somewhat honest. But when the Fed can conjure up trillions, when Congress can ease things along with continuing resolutions, when the White House has unprecedented power to punish its enemies and reward its friends…

…how, in these circumstances, do we keep the bastards honest?

We had a chance — not a great chance, but a real one — to stanch the bleeding. We failed to do so.
I fear that means we’re a country in deep denial of just what kind of a hole we’re in, and how much deeper we’ll be in it after another four years of spending-by-autopilot.

We can blame the candidate, sure. Romney didn’t fully capitalize on his first-debate win, and apparently the Chris Christie/Barack Obama lovefest turned a lot of votes back to the president, too. But overall, Romney ran almost as competent a challenger’s campaign as I’ve seen.

We can blame the press, sure. Benghazi alone would have sunk most presidents — most Republican presidents — in weeks if not days. The coverup by the Complicit Media was shameful in the extreme. But we’ve faced down the MSM before, and won.

So, no, I don’t think we can just blame Romney and I don’t think we can just blame the press. Even combined, those two aren’t enough to explain what happened today.

There is something deeply wrong with our country. We’ve been living on borrowed time — and trillions of borrowed dollars — for a decade already. We seem to think that we can keep on doing so. That more than anything else is “the new normal.”

Thomas Jefferson famously said of the slavery issue, “I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.” I tremble for my country when I think that the God of Compound Interest is a far more jealous God than Jahweh, Allah, and Zuul all wrapped up into a single, bloody package.

Maybe that truth — the truth — doesn’t sell in a country that’s been suffering for four years now, and with no real end in sight.

This election should have been something like a walkover for the challenger. But no. Our economic destiny is already written in stone, with four trillion in new debt run up by Bush and the GOP, and another six trillion by Obama and the Democrats. Our only hope is rapid and wrenching reform. The alternative is hyperinflation, Cloward-Piven, and all the rest of the Zimbabwe-like horror.

And that means Mitt Romney didn’t fail us. That means people like me — people like you — failed our country. We had years to make the case, and we didn’t. We worked our bottoms off, but it wasn’t enough.
So we must redouble our efforts.

If Obama wins tonight, as seems likely, he has no mandate. He ran on a platform of “Mitt Romney is teh sux.” I’m not sure how that translates into a governing platform, and neither is anyone else. If Romney pulls this out, he’ll have a hostile Senate for at least the first half of his term.

Either way, we’re looking at deadlock.

It’s our job, yours and mine, to pick that lock. Do not tire, do not flag, do not quit.

If Romney wins, he will need us to constantly push him in the direction of sanity. If Obama wins, we will need to fight him at every turn.

I’m not quitting. Don’t you quit now, either.

Noir
11-07-2012, 04:05 AM
Closet to my thinking:

"If Obama wins, he has no mandate"
Hm.
Sure Obama spewed out plenty of negative material about Romney, just as Romney did about Obama. But there was a lot of his own policy mentioned. Just because the guy you didn't like won, doesn't mean he doesn't have a mandate.

Kathianne
11-07-2012, 04:19 AM
"If Obama wins, he has no mandate"
Hm.
Sure Obama spewed out plenty of negative material about Romney, just as Romney did about Obama. But there was a lot of his own policy mentioned. Just because the guy you didn't like won, doesn't mean he doesn't have a mandate.

and he does, because?

Noir
11-07-2012, 04:55 AM
and he does, because?

Because...he won the election?

Kathianne
11-07-2012, 05:16 AM
Because...he won the election?

Perhaps the convo wasn't clear, I was looking for a response to your post:

But there was a lot of his own policy mentioned. Just because the guy you didn't like won, doesn't mean he doesn't have a mandate.

Noir
11-07-2012, 05:35 AM
Perhaps the convo wasn't clear, I was looking for a response to your post:

He has a mandate because he won the election.

I don't see where the difficulty is =/

revelarts
11-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Closet to my thinking:

I think the right would have gone back to sleep and allowed Romney to carry on the same $ "easing" policies into the unknown furture. same as Bush started and Obama continued. the economy would still slide. At least now the right can still talk like they really believe in small gov't and fiscal conservationism.

But i agree we need to fight for whats right and push the representatives no matter who is in the office. the system is so skewed to corruption now that its much harder but if we don't continue to push back we'll end up like Russia, China or any other thugocracy.

Abbey Marie
11-07-2012, 09:10 AM
You have to admit it is hollow Gabby.
The only thing I am thankful for is the retention of a Republican ruled House. And yes, I would say the same with for Democrats with a Republican ruled government.

Yes, we get it. They're all bad, all untrustworthy, all liars, and only you know better. :rolleyes:

Abbey Marie
11-07-2012, 09:15 AM
I think the right would have gone back to sleep and allowed Romney to carry on the same $ "easing" policies into the unknown furture. same as Bush started and Obama continued. the economy would still slide. At least now the right can still talk like they really believe in small gov't and fiscal conservationism.

But i agree we need to fight for whats right and push the representatives no matter who is in the office. the system is so skewed to corruption now that its much harder but if we don't continue to push back we'll end up like Russia, China or any other thugocracy.

Rev, I fear that we are coming to a time when even you will wish Romney had won.

gabosaurus
11-07-2012, 09:37 AM
I find it interesting that Democrats are now suddenly admitting Romney isn't evil because of his concession speech. Despite smearing the man for the last year or so.

No one ever said Romney was "evil." I just felt that, following a tough campaign, Romney was very gracious in defeat. I felt he was sincere. More sincere than Obama was in victory, actually.

Kathianne
11-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Rev, I fear that we are coming to a time where even you will wish Romney had won.

Indeed, Abbey. It was in his acceptance speech last night, he is going 'forward.' Make no mistake, it's a doomsday scenario.

Kathianne
11-07-2012, 12:44 PM
No one ever said Romney was "evil." I just felt that, following a tough campaign, Romney was very gracious in defeat. I felt he was sincere. More sincere than Obama was in victory, actually.

Really? Gabby, you do not actually influence folks here, but you certainly gave it your best shot over the past year and a half. The last I believe was your copy & paste of a certain list regarding the hurricane, no?

No, you are influenced by those you choose to listen to and they aren't here. There's too many of you and not enough of the rest of us.

SassyLady
11-07-2012, 12:48 PM

Yes, Gabby, progressives on the left have called Romney evil. The CEO of Garden State Equality is one that publicly, on twitter, called him evil.

Romney was very gracious and always has been, which is what led to his defeat. Seems Americans don't want a dignified president ... they want a "cool" president, regardless of his leadership capabilities. They wanted someone with celebrity endorsements rather than commerce endorsements. Just shows how off track our society has become.

fj1200
11-07-2012, 02:08 PM

True, but is that mandate, "I'm the anti-Romney" or is it that for which he has campaigned?

Kathianne
11-07-2012, 02:11 PM

Noir, mandate doesn't mean 'won.' It means convincingly won and that wasn't happening, nor intended to.

No plans to follow, just ideology.

aboutime
11-07-2012, 02:56 PM
The One, and Only MANDATE Obama has is....to follow through with every Lie he has told.

I predict. By April of 2013. The people who LOVINGLY voted for Obama again. Will have a rude awakening when they learn. Obama isn't smart enough to make OBAMA BUCKS pay for all of their FREEBIES if....the Treasury is empty, and the Piggy banks have all been broken.