PDA

View Full Version : More than ever

Abbey Marie
11-07-2012, 05:48 PM
I still think Romney should have chosen Maco Rubio for his running mate.

Anyone know how the Hispanic vote went?

gabosaurus
11-07-2012, 05:56 PM
I looked this up this morning. Mostly because my sister wanted to know. She waited more than two hours to vote in a near 100 percent Latino district.
I forget where I saw it (it might have been on Fox), but I believe there was a 25 percent increase in Latino voters from 2008. Of the approximately 12 millions Latinos that voted, 75 percent went for Obama.
I believe Obama also had a 12 percentage point edge among women and over 25 percent in under-25 voters.

Here is something I found searching just now:

http://news.yahoo.com/poll-latino-vote-devastated-gop-even-worse-exits-181922111--politics.html

Kathianne
11-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I still think Romney should have chosen Maco Rubio for his running mate.

Anyone know how the Hispanic vote went?

Abbey, do you really think Rubio could have 'saved' the Hispanic vote after the promise to veto the 'Dream Act?' That's what hurt, not Ryan. IMO.

Abbey Marie
11-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Abbey, do you really think Rubio could have 'saved' the Hispanic vote after the promise to veto the 'Dream Act?' That's what hurt, not Ryan. IMO.

Honestly, Kathianne, I don't know. I have learned that people voted for Obama because of his skin color, regardless of what he has done to this country. So it is possible Hispanics would do the same.

Kathianne
11-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Honestly, Kathainne, I don't know. I have learned that people voted for Obama because of his skin color, regardless of what he has done to this country. So it is possible Hispanics would do the same.

Ideologically I'm conservative, but last night's election depressed me and also has forced me to think about what the message should be, how it should be delivered, and what types of candidates will be needed. Obviously, I've not reached any conclusions in what? 15 hours? Changes though are needed or one goes on forever with a message that the majority will never buy.

Here's two articles I've found interesting, for they deal with 'culture':

http://www.city-journal.org/2012/eon1107ak.html

Andrew Klavan
The Long Game
Three areas the Right should address, financially and intellectually

7 November 2012

Life is short, said Hippocrates, but art is long. There is a practical corollary to that great truth: elections are won and lost in the politics of the moment, but it’s the culture that makes the nation.

In the aftermath of President Obama’s victory, conservative political thinkers will have to ask themselves some hard questions. How much of our defeat was due to strategy and how much to structure? How can we reach out to struggling workers without sacrificing our commitment to free enterprise and individual liberty? How can we speak to single women without losing voters committed to family values and the lives of the unborn? How can we welcome the children of illegal immigrants without compromising our belief in the rule of law?

The smartest political writers in the country, all of whom are conservative, will now be addressing those questions. I’m an artist; I play the long game.

To win that game, to create an electorate more deeply committed to true liberty and resistant to the sort of cultural scare tactics the president’s campaign team used so effectively, there are three areas to which conservatives need to commit intellectual and financial resources—three areas that our intelligentsia and funders, in their impractical practicality, too often ignore...

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/332753/two-americas-michael-barone

November 7, 2012 12:00 A.M.
Two Americas (http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/332753/two-americas-michael-barone)
The country is no longer culturally cohesive. By Michael Barone (http://www.nationalreview.com/author/200447/bio)

(http://www.nationalreview.com/author/200447/bio)
You know who won the election (or whether we face another Florida, 2000), and as I write, I don’t.

But whether Barack Obama is elected to a second term or Mitt Romney is elected the 45th president, the contours of their support during this fiercely fought campaign show that we live in two Americas.

The culturally cohesive America of the 1950s that some of us remember, usually glossing over racial segregation and the civil-rights movement, is no longer with us and hasn’t been for some time.

That was an America of universal media, in which everyone watched one of three similar TV channels and newscasts every night. Radio, 1930s and 1940s movies, and 1950s and early-1960s television painted a reasonably true picture of what was typically American.

That’s not the America we live in now. Niche media has replaced universal media.
One America listens to Rush Limbaugh, the other to NPR. Each America has its favorite cable news channel. As for entertainment, Americans have 100-plus cable channels to choose from, and the Internet provides many more options...

There are plenty of smart and creative and successful people in both Americas. But they don’t like to mix with each other these days.

They especially don’t like to talk about politics and the cultural issues that, despite the prominence of economic concerns today, have largely determined our political allegiances over the last two decades.

One America tends to be traditionally religious, personally charitable, appreciative of entrepreneurs, and suspicious of government. The other tends to be secular or only mildly religious, less charitable, skeptical of business, and supportive of government as an instrument to advance liberal causes.

The more conservative America tends to be relatively cohesive. Evangelical Protestants and white Catholics make common cause; the 17th-century religious wars are over. Southern or northern accents don’t much matter.

That’s typical of the Republican party, which has always had core support from people who are seen as typical Americans but are not by themselves a majority in our always diverse country.

The more liberal America tends to be diverse. Like Obama’s 2008 coalition, it includes many at the top and at the bottom of the economic ladder.

That’s typical of the Democratic party, a coalition of disparate groups — immigrant Catholics and white southerners long ago, blacks and gentry liberals today.

Ronald Reagan, speaking the language of the old, universal popular culture, could appeal to both Americas. His successors, not so much. Barack Obama, after an auspicious start, has failed to do so...

jimnyc
11-07-2012, 08:07 PM
What was the percentage of the black vote for Obama? Last I checked it was like 93% last night. Everything legit for the black community has gotten worse since 2008. Then again, welfare is up by 43% and food stamps are at record levels.

"Obama gunna get me sum free gas" "I GOT FREE FONE I GOT FREEE FONE!" :lol:

Noir
11-08-2012, 07:57 AM
From what i saw by way of meta-data lastnight - it was noticable that in exit poll after exit poll Obama seemed to have increased his support among women voters.
Now obviously we have to wait for all the data to be broken down, but i've got a feeling that the silent assassins to the Romney/Ryan ticket will not of been blacks or hispanics etc. but Women.

Marcus Aurelius
11-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Honestly, Kathianne, I don't know. I have learned that people voted for Obama because of his skin color, regardless of what he has done to this country. So it is possible Hispanics would do the same.

And for free stuff, can't forget the free stuff...