PDA

View Full Version : My Congressman

Kathianne
11-07-2012, 09:59 PM
His was a target of redistricting, didn't work out well for the majority, he swamped them:

http://hinsdale.suntimes.com/news/16114819-505/roskam-up-big-in-all-four-counties-of-the-6th-congressional-district.html

Updated: November 7, 2012 6:08PM

Republican U.S. Rep. Peter Roskam will serve another two years representing the 6th Congressional District of Illinois.

According to unofficial results, Roskam beat Democratic challenger Leslie Coolidge in all four counties within the redrawn district.

According to election boards in Cook, DuPage, Lake and McHenry counties, Roskam took at least 57 percent of the vote.

He won 131,127 of the 220,668 votes cast in DuPage, Lake and McHenry counties. With 64 of 66 precincts reporting in Cook County late Tuesday, Roskam had garnered 23,053 of the 38,333 votes cast, or 60 percent of the vote.

“Tonight, Republicans retained control of the House of Representatives, which speaks to the deep concern voters across the country share when it comes to the direction of our country,” Roskam said via an e-mail release Tuesday night from Arrowhead Country Club in Wheaton. “Time and again, I have heard from 6th District residents who fear that we are leaving our children and grandchildren a diminished future, saddled with over $16 trillion in debt, a stagnant economy and increased uncertainty.”

Roskam said he was optimistic that Americans will overcome these challenges, and he pledged to work toward that during the next two years.

“We will continue to work to turn the economy around as quickly as possible, to create jobs for the 23 million Americans currently unemployed, underemployed or who have simply given up on looking for work,” Roskam said. “We will work to live within our means, reform the tax code, prevent the fiscal cliff, and create a better future for the next generation.”

While Democrat Leslie Coolidge, a CPA in her first political race, lost by double-digit margins in all four counties, she said it was overall a “tremendously positive experience.”

“The amount of support from volunteers and voters, we had a bunch of enthusiastic people working hard on my campaign,” Coolidge said from Emmett’s Ale House in Palatine. “It just reaffirms to me what the democratic process is”
As far as running for office again in the future:

“I need to go home and decompress and debrief,” Coolidge said with a laugh. “We had hoped to do a little better.”

gabosaurus
11-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Regardless of party, I always enjoy it when a good congressional representative survives a partisan attempt to shove him out of office. :beer:

Kathianne
11-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Regardless of party, I always enjoy it when a good congressional representative survives a partisan attempt to shove him out of office. :beer:

Yep, they 'redistricted' him to 4 counties, when he'd previously been districted to part of 1, mine. He overcame the odds, substantially!