PDA

View Full Version : tale of two houses

Sitarro
05-26-2007, 10:56 PM
I was swnt this today, found it interesting.......

As verified by Snopes:
Subject: "The Story of Two Houses"
House #1
A 20 room mansion ( not including 8 bathrooms ) heated by natural
gas. Add on a pool ( and a pool house) and a separate guest house, all
heated by gas.
In one month this residence consumes more energy than the average
American household does in a year.
The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2400.
In natural gas alone, this property consumes more than 20 times the
national average for an American home.
This house is not situated in a Northern or Midwestern "snow belt"
area. It's in the South.
~~~
House #2
Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national
university.
This house incorporates every "green" feature current home
construction can provide.
The house is 4,000 square feet ( 4 bedrooms ) and is nestled on an
arid, high prairie in the American southwest.
A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat-pumps drawing
ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (
usually 67 degrees F. ) heats the house in the winter and cools it in the
summer.
The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas and it
consumes one-quarter electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling
system.
Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000
gallon underground cistern.
Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground
purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then
irrigates the land surrounding the house.
Surrounding flowers and shrubs native to the area enable the
property to blend into the surrounding rural landscape.
~~~~~
HOUSE #1 is outside of Nashville , Tennessee ; it is the abode of the
"environmentalist" Al Gore.
HOUSE #2 is on a ranch near Crawford , Texas ; it is the residence the
of the President of the United States , George W. Bush.

Doniston
05-27-2007, 12:37 PM
I was swnt this today, found it interesting.......

As verified by Snopes:
Subject: "The Story of Two Houses"
House #1
A 20 room mansion ( not including 8 bathrooms ) heated by natural
gas. Add on a pool ( and a pool house) and a separate guest house, all
heated by gas.
In one month this residence consumes more energy than the average
American household does in a year.
The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2400.
In natural gas alone, this property consumes more than 20 times the
national average for an American home.
This house is not situated in a Northern or Midwestern "snow belt"
area. It's in the South.
~~~
House #2
Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national
university.
This house incorporates every "green" feature current home
construction can provide.
The house is 4,000 square feet ( 4 bedrooms ) and is nestled on an
arid, high prairie in the American southwest.
A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat-pumps drawing
ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (
usually 67 degrees F. ) heats the house in the winter and cools it in the
summer.
The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas and it
consumes one-quarter electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling
system.
Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground
purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then
irrigates the land surrounding the house.
Surrounding flowers and shrubs native to the area enable the
property to blend into the surrounding rural landscape.
~~~~~
HOUSE #1 is outside of Nashville , Tennessee ; it is the abode of the
"environmentalist" Al Gore.
HOUSE #2 is on a ranch near Crawford , Texas ; it is the residence the
of the President of the United States , George W. Bush.
* Fine strong insinuations. Well done.: But think of this. OMHO Al Gore is a nothing person, and allways has been. and his house is a total blight on enviromental issues. HOWEVER. Do you really think George Bush had even the slightest hand in the planning and construction of his house and grounds.??? I don't think he could even build a two hole outhouse. (it would likely have two half moon holes for half@$$ed people.

( and just for the sake of my personal disenters: No, I haven't been invited HEH HEH)

Sitarro
05-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Even when the President does everything right he is criticised by the left. No Doniston, he may not have built the house himself, he would have been criticized for that too(how can he justify building a house when there are so many more important issues out there?!) But it was built and it is not only incredibly efficient, it is also not a palace that one would expect a person that, according to the left, is only worried about money.

Here is an idiot writer's take..........

http://www.commondreams.org/views01/0429-03.htm

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Featured Views

Published on Sunday, April 29, 2001 in the Chicago Tribune
Bush Loves Ecology -- At Home
by Rob Sullivan

The 4,000-square-foot house is a model of environmental rectitude.
Geothermal heat pumps located in a central closet circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground where the temperature is a constant 67 degrees; the water heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. Systems such as the one in this "eco-friendly" dwelling use about 25% of the electricity that traditional heating and cooling systems utilize.

A 25,000-gallon underground cistern collects rainwater gathered from roof runs; wastewater from sinks, toilets and showers goes into underground purifying tanks and is also funneled into the cistern. The water from the cistern is used to irrigate the landscaping surrounding the four-bedroom home. Plants and flowers native to the high prairie area blend the structure into the surrounding ecosystem.

No, this is not the home of some eccentrically wealthy eco-freak trying to shame his fellow citizens into following the pristineness of his self-righteous example. And no, it is not the wilderness retreat of the Sierra Club or the Natural Resources Defense Council, a haven where tree-huggers plot political strategy.

This is President George W. Bush's "Texas White House" outside the small town of Crawford.

Yes, the same George W. who believes arsenic and drinking water might not be such a bad combo, the same man who reneged on his campaign promise to lower carbon dioxide emissions from power plants, the same man who is doing everything in his power to fling open the Alaskan Natural Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling.

How does the President reconcile an eco-friendly abode for his own family with his persistent stand against anything that smacks of an environmentally friendly agenda for the nation as a whole? The answer to that perplexing question is a real mystery.

Perhaps sound ecological practices are only for those who can afford them: as a self-proclaimed strict constructionist of the U.S. Constitution, Bush must be aware that clean air and clean water are not guaranteed in that glorious document. Perhaps in Bush's Brave New Corporate World, clean natural resources are merely commodities in a free-market economy: if you can pay for them, fine; if not, tough. The rest of us will just have to put up with more toxic dumps and more public lands being turned over to logging, mining and oil companies.

According to David Heymann, the house's architect and associate dean of the University of Texas architecture department, Heymann designed the house so that "every room has a relationship with something in the landscape that's different from the room next door. Each of the rooms feels like a slightly different place."

In a USA Today interview, Heymann said, "There's a great grove of oak trees to the west that protects it from the late afternoon sun. Then there is a view out to the north looking at hills, and to the east out over a lake, and the view to the south . . . out to beautiful hills."

I suppose in George W.'s architectural world only the rich and powerful have views; vistas that the public owns as part of its shared heritage are up for lease and sale.

Heymann also termed the house "stunningly small." Really? Would it be stunningly small for a single mother in South Central Los Angeles? How stunningly small would it be for an immigrant Latino family in San Antonio Maybe in the rarified heights where second homes are the norm, 4,000 square feet is small and on a stunning scale as well, but in Main Street America that much elbow room is pretty big for the first and only home.

Doniston
05-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Even when the President does everything right he is criticised by the left. No Doniston, he may not have built the house himself, he would have been criticized for that too(how can he justify building a house when there are so many more important issues out there?!) But it was built and it is not only incredibly efficient, it is also not a palace that one would expect a person that, according to the left, is only worried about money.

Here is an idiot writer's take..........

http://www.commondreams.org/views01/0429-03.htm

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Featured Views

Published on Sunday, April 29, 2001 in the Chicago Tribune
Bush Loves Ecology -- At Home
by Rob Sullivan

The 4,000-square-foot house is a model of environmental rectitude.
Geothermal heat pumps located in a central closet circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground where the temperature is a constant 67 degrees; the water heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. Systems such as the one in this "eco-friendly" dwelling use about 25% of the electricity that traditional heating and cooling systems utilize.

A 25,000-gallon underground cistern collects rainwater gathered from roof runs; wastewater from sinks, toilets and showers goes into underground purifying tanks and is also funneled into the cistern. The water from the cistern is used to irrigate the landscaping surrounding the four-bedroom home. Plants and flowers native to the high prairie area blend the structure into the surrounding ecosystem.

No, this is not the home of some eccentrically wealthy eco-freak trying to shame his fellow citizens into following the pristineness of his self-righteous example. And no, it is not the wilderness retreat of the Sierra Club or the Natural Resources Defense Council, a haven where tree-huggers plot political strategy.

This is President George W. Bush's "Texas White House" outside the small town of Crawford.

Yes, the same George W. who believes arsenic and drinking water might not be such a bad combo, the same man who reneged on his campaign promise to lower carbon dioxide emissions from power plants, the same man who is doing everything in his power to fling open the Alaskan Natural Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling.

How does the President reconcile an eco-friendly abode for his own family with his persistent stand against anything that smacks of an environmentally friendly agenda for the nation as a whole? The answer to that perplexing question is a real mystery.

Perhaps sound ecological practices are only for those who can afford them: as a self-proclaimed strict constructionist of the U.S. Constitution, Bush must be aware that clean air and clean water are not guaranteed in that glorious document. Perhaps in Bush's Brave New Corporate World, clean natural resources are merely commodities in a free-market economy: if you can pay for them, fine; if not, tough. The rest of us will just have to put up with more toxic dumps and more public lands being turned over to logging, mining and oil companies.

According to David Heymann, the house's architect and associate dean of the University of Texas architecture department, Heymann designed the house so that "every room has a relationship with something in the landscape that's different from the room next door. Each of the rooms feels like a slightly different place."

In a USA Today interview, Heymann said, "There's a great grove of oak trees to the west that protects it from the late afternoon sun. Then there is a view out to the north looking at hills, and to the east out over a lake, and the view to the south . . . out to beautiful hills."

I suppose in George W.'s architectural world only the rich and powerful have views; vistas that the public owns as part of its shared heritage are up for lease and sale.

Heymann also termed the house "stunningly small." Really? Would it be stunningly small for a single mother in South Central Los Angeles? How stunningly small would it be for an immigrant Latino family in San Antonio Maybe in the rarified heights where second homes are the norm, 4,000 square feet is small and on a stunning scale as well, but in Main Street America that much elbow room is pretty big for the first and only home. I'm not sure, but your tone seems to indicate we are Both preaching to the choir my point is that the occupants of these houses cannot be adequately compared. They both leave much to be desired. But in diverse directions.

manu1959
05-27-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure, but your tone seems to indicate we are Both preaching to the choir my point is that the occupants of these houses cannot be adequately compared. They both leave much to be desired. But in diverse directions.

one claims to be green and is not....he is the "leader" of the global warming movement yet personally contributes to the problem .....

the other does not claim to be green but is .....

Doniston
05-27-2007, 09:59 PM
one claims to be green and is not....he is the "leader" of the global warming movement yet personally contributes to the problem .....

the other does not claim to be green but is ..... i agree completely witht the first statement.

But as for the second. I don't think he would know, and as I said, I don't think it is his doing. he's just living there.

Abbey Marie
05-27-2007, 10:38 PM
i agree completely witht the first statement.

But as for the second. I don't think he would know, and as I said, I don't think it is his doing. he's just living there.

Are you saying that if someone buys a "green" house, instead of a resource-hog of a house, they get no credit? Surely you know that President Bush could have bought any house he wanted.

Sitarro
05-28-2007, 02:52 AM
Are you saying that if someone buys a "green" house, instead of a resource-hog of a house, they get no credit? Surely you know that President Bush could have bought any house he wanted.

Doniston believes that President Bush is an idiot..... I always get a kick out of the assumptions made about the President. He is supposedly an idiot and yet he some how has achieved more than a anyone except a handful of people on the planet. A Masters from Harvard Business School, supersonic jet pilot, owner of a baseball team that he sold for a huge profit, Governor of one of the biggest states in size and economy and now President twice. Kicked ass in 2 wars, brought the economy to a record setting pace and has remained in love and married to his wife who he would rather be with than anyone else(conquered an addiction to alcohol too). On top of that, he comissioned an in-state architect to create a self sufficient home on his giant ranch...... all while suffering from dyslexia.....what a dufuss! Too bad we don't have more politicians this stupid.

Doniston
05-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Are you saying that if someone buys a "green" house, instead of a resource-hog of a house, they get no credit? Surely you know that President Bush could have bought any house he wanted. On his own Daddy's property???

Doniston
05-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Doniston believes that President Bush is an idiot..... I always get a kick out of the assumptions made about the President. He is supposedly an idiot and yet he some how has achieved more than a anyone except a handful of people on the planet. A Masters from Harvard Business School, supersonic jet pilot, owner of a baseball team that he sold for a huge profit, Governor of one of the biggest states in size and economy and now President twice. Kicked ass in 2 wars, brought the economy to a record setting pace and has remained in love and married to his wife who he would rather be with than anyone else(conquered an addiction to alcohol too). On top of that, he comissioned an in-state architect to create a self sufficient home on his giant ranch...... all while suffering from dyslexia.....what a dufuss! Too bad we don't have more politicians this stupid.

You are incorrect, I don't beleive he is an idiot. I do beleive that he was born with a provebial silver spoon in his mouth.

A master's degree??? so does Brooke Sheilds. proof that you don't need smarts for that. All that is really needed is to take the time. to attend.

Supersonic Jet polot??? I flew a plane the first time I was ever in one. at the Age of eleven, and took it off and landed it later the same day.

Owner of a Baseball team? you can bet your ass that he wasn't the financial manager of it, as evidenced by his other business failures. If you have money, you can own anything.

Governor and President, --only because of his Daddy's influence. and should never have been Without his daddy, he coldn't have been elected as dog-catcher

Kicked Ass in two wars? I doubt that could be accurately said about one, but twhere is the second??? personally, You are commenting on things which I doubt you have any real knowlege of. But none of that has to do with his lack of abilities as president

and do you really think Chenny (and daddy) aren't really pulling the strings?

BY THE WAY: Thank you for finally supplying the impetus for me to fulfill the terms of my sig on this forum.

As a president, he stinks, and the sooner he is gone, the better off we will all be.

Yurt
05-28-2007, 05:28 PM

:clap::clap:

Yurt
05-28-2007, 05:31 PM
You are incorrect, I don't beleive he is an idiot. I do beleive that he was born with a provebial silver spoon in his mouth.

A master's degree??? so does Brooke Sheilds. proof that you don't need smarts for that. All that is really needed is to take the time. to attend.

Supersonic Jet polot??? I flew a plane the first time I was ever in one. at the Age of eleven, and took it off and landed it later the same day.

Owner of a Baseball team? you can bet your ass that he wasn't the financial manager of it, as evidenced by his other business failures. If you have money, you can own anything.

Governor and President, --only because of his Daddy's influence. and should never have been Without his daddy, he coldn't have been elected as dog-catcher

Kicked Ass in two wars? I doubt that could be accurately said about one, but twhere is the second??? personally, You are commenting on things which I doubt you have any real knowlege of. But none of that has to do with his lack of abilities as president

BY THE WAY: Thank you for finally supplying the impetus for me to fulfill the terms of my sig on this forum.

As a president, he stinks, and the sooner he is gone, the better off we will all be.

You just can't handle that Gore looks like an idiot. Why do you have to go off on Bush when he clearly seems to be doing right by starting in his own back yard instead of being a hypocrite like Gore.

Calm down boy...

Doniston
05-28-2007, 10:00 PM
You just can't handle that Gore looks like an idiot. Why do you have to go off on Bush when he clearly seems to be doing right by starting in his own back yard instead of being a hypocrite like Gore.

Calm down boy... where do you get the idea that I think Gore looks like a idiot. I don't. but IMHO he is still an absolute nothing. and beleive me, I only responded to the points which you listed regarding Bush. I have a very long list of additional faults, which I lay upon Bush that were not addressed in my post.

Abbey Marie
05-29-2007, 12:44 AM
On his own Daddy's property???

You think he had no money? HA!

Sitarro
05-29-2007, 01:38 AM

You constantly infer that he is an idiot

[QUOTE=Doniston;68246]A master's degree??? so does Brooke Sheilds. proof that you don't need smarts for that. All that is really needed is to take the time. to attend.
What an incredibly stupid statement..... you just need to attend to get a Masters from Harvard?????? Why doesn't everyone get one?
I'm curious, how does a conservative go about cheating his way into a Masters degree (can you pay off liberal professors?)and if you do have a way to buy a degree wouldn't you spend enough to at least have a B average on your records? What do you know about Brooke Shields? She may be a member of MENSA as far as you know. Actually she received a degree in French literature from Princeton, not a Masters and certainly not a Masters in Business from one of the most difficult schools on the planet.

Some one that flies a plane is called a pilot...... not a polot. There is a huge difference between flying a 1913 Curtiss "Jenny" and a F-102 Delta Dagger. No computer to fly this unstable single seat delta wing interceptor.

Business failures, care to elaborate? What do you know about the details and could you name the businesses since you did pluralize the accuzation? Yea, sure you can own anything and run it into the ground and lose your ass.... to sell it at a huge profit is a different story.

Harken Energy had some dry holes drilled....what energy company hasn't hit dry holes trying to find oil. Fly over west Texas and take a look at how many holes have been punched into the ground there.

That's funny, I don't remember Bush 41 being that popular. In fact that little pipsqueek Perot was able to take enough votes from him to hand the election to a nobody from Arkansas with a measly 43% of the voting public.....pathetic.

Saddam's army was destroyed and he and his sons are taking the proverbial dirt nap forever. The Iraqi people came out to vote in percentages that embarrass the whimps in the U.S., against the prevailing thought that they would be murdered at the polls. The Taliban had it's ass kicked severly and they left Afghanistan. Afghans were allowed to vote in a Democratic election. Then there is the fact that little girls who were never allowed to attend school in either country now do..... might not be much to you but they may say different.

No, I don't.

All I did was provide you a way to look as silly as you are doni.....your hatred is showing.

What does that mean?

Just to put this all into perspective, who or what do you feel would make a great President? What President in the past do you feel lived up to your criteria as Presidential material?

nevadamedic
05-29-2007, 02:35 AM
On his own Daddy's property???

Do you have to make everything a Bush attack?

Doniston
05-29-2007, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=Doniston;68246]You are incorrect, I don't beleive he is an idiot. I do beleive that he was born with a provebial silver spoon in his mouth.

You constantly infer that he is an idiot

What an incredibly stupid statement..... you just need to attend to get a Masters from Harvard?????? Why doesn't everyone get one?
I'm curious, how does a conservative go about cheating his way into a Masters degree (can you pay off liberal professors?)and if you do have a way to buy a degree wouldn't you spend enough to at least have a B average on your records? What do you know about Brooke Shields? She may be a member of MENSA as far as you know. Actually she received a degree in French literature from Princeton, not a Masters and certainly not a Masters in Business from one of the most difficult schools on the planet.

Some one that flies a plane is called a pilot...... not a polot. There is a huge difference between flying a 1913 Curtiss "Jenny" and a F-102 Delta Dagger. No computer to fly this unstable single seat delta wing interceptor.

Business failures, care to elaborate? What do you know about the details and could you name the businesses since you did pluralize the accuzation? Yea, sure you can own anything and run it into the ground and lose your ass.... to sell it at a huge profit is a different story.

Harken Energy had some dry holes drilled....what energy company hasn't hit dry holes trying to find oil. Fly over west Texas and take a look at how many holes have been punched into the ground there.

That's funny, I don't remember Bush 41 being that popular. In fact that little pipsqueek Perot was able to take enough votes from him to hand the election to a nobody from Arkansas with a measly 43% of the voting public.....pathetic.

Saddam's army was destroyed and he and his sons are taking the proverbial dirt nap forever. The Iraqi people came out to vote in percentages that embarrass the whimps in the U.S., against the prevailing thought that they would be murdered at the polls. The Taliban had it's ass kicked severly and they left Afghanistan. Afghans were allowed to vote in a Democratic election. Then there is the fact that little girls who were never allowed to attend school in either country now do..... might not be much to you but they may say different.

No, I don't.

All I did was provide you a way to look as silly as you are doni.....your hatred is showing.

What does that mean?

Just to put this all into perspective, who or what do you feel would make a great President? What President in the past do you feel lived up to your criteria as Presidential material?
it would take to long to list all the mistakes in your post. The only place you were close to accurate was my feelings towards Bush but it is absolute disgust, not hatred, he can;t help who or what he is.

Doniston
05-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Do you have to make everything a Bush attack? actually this wasn't an attack but just a correction to keep him from getting undue credit

when someone else takes it beyond the issues, I will of course respond. (when it is at least worth while.)

glockmail
08-15-2007, 09:23 AM
I just got this "tale of two houses" emailed to me this morning and found it interesting that few know about this.

medical 2933
08-29-2007, 12:02 PM
The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas.

retiredman
08-29-2007, 01:13 PM
a few observations:

Gore's electric bill is always mentioned.... it is 100% green power that does not impact the environment so it really is a red herring to keep bringing it up.

I don't think any - other than those looking for some political traction - would suggest that, if you are aware of the problems of global warming and want to try to raise public awareness thereof, that it is necessary that you live in a yurt and raise your own food.

Al Gore has pretty much single handedly raised awareness of global warming not only in America, but around the world. I would suggest that the recycling reusing renewing conserving that goes on around the globe because of his successful environmental evangelism has a much greater impact on the environment than Georgie's house.

And if Al needs to charter planes to move around the globe quickly and efficiently to spread that message, I certainly don't denigrate his efforts or his successes because of the sort of plane he travels in.

Hagbard Celine
08-29-2007, 01:16 PM
I also heard that Al Gore eats baby African children.

glockmail
08-29-2007, 08:01 PM
I also heard that Al Gore eats baby African children. Cooked on a propane fire.

medical 2933
09-03-2007, 11:57 AM