PDA

View Full Version : Romney did 2+ million worse than McCain - why?

tailfins
11-08-2012, 01:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2008

Noir
11-08-2012, 02:10 PM
And Obama did 9 million+ worse =/
AND WON!

Little-Acorn
11-08-2012, 02:12 PM
My guess is, his support (past and present) for Massachusetts Romneycare, despite his repeated statements that he would exempt all 57 states from Obamacare and then work to repeal it. Plus his fairly hard line on illegal immigration from months back.

My guess, worth what you paid for it.

Marcus Aurelius
11-08-2012, 02:16 PM
But Romney did go up in electoral votes, while Obama went down.

Odd.

2008;
Obama 365
McCain 173

2012:
Obama 303
Romney 206

Marcus Aurelius
11-08-2012, 02:22 PM
And Obama did 9 million+ worse =/
AND WON!

I'm only seeing a 6 million drop off for Obama, which is still huge.

2008:
Obama 66.8 million
McCain 58.3 million

2012:
Obama 60.7
Romney 57.8

I really don't know what this all says about us as voters or a country.

Trigg
11-08-2012, 02:37 PM
I know from talking to people I work with that his religion was his problem.

There are lots of people out there who just didn't want to vote for a Mormon.

It doesn't surprise me that bambam lost votes, I fully expected that, what with voter apathy and independents going republican.

fj1200
11-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Mayhaps he didn't give people enough reason to vote FOR him instead of just against BO.

aboutime
11-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Romney tried to use Honesty, and Truth. But lost out to Bribes like Free Cell phones, Free Celebrity concerts, and promises that the monthly FREE MONEY, FOOD STAMPS, and UNEMPLOYMENT checks would NEVER STOP as long as Obama could make MONOPOLY MONEY, borrowed from CHINA available until 2016.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Two things folks..
1. 3 million Republican voters stayed home
2. Free ride...
Had those 3 million voted Romney he would have won the popular vote by 180,000.
What ever reasons they used to justify giving obama 4 more years to destroy does not stop me from wishing them an eternity to rot in hell for doing so , right along with the worthless leeches (blacks)that voted for their damn freebies!! I don't mince words . It takes scum to vote for the guy and it took scum to stay home, may they both rot in hell for what they have done to this country..-Tyr

gabosaurus
11-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Romney was a less divisive candidate than McCain.
The 2008 election was a referendum on the Bush years. This election was a referendum on the Obama years.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-08-2012, 03:23 PM
The 2008 election was a referendum on the Bush years. This election was a referendum on the Obama years.

No , it wasnt idiot. It was a referendum on hard work to get success or free stuff! Free stuff won you dizzy ,stupid little worm. And you are supposed to be a teacher, no wonder today's youth are by and large dumbasses about civic duty and the health and future of this nation with hairbrain liberal crap like you teaching them ..-. -Tyr

Marcus Aurelius
11-08-2012, 03:23 PM

It doesn't surprise me that bambam lost votes, I fully expected that, what with voter apathy and independents going republican.

Being a Mormon didn't seem to hurt Harry Reid politically.

Marcus Aurelius
11-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Two things folks..
1. 3 million Republican voters stayed home
2. Free ride...
Had those 3 million voted Romney he would have won the popular vote by 180,000.
What ever reasons they used to justify giving obama 4 more years to destroy does not stop me from wishing them an eternity to rot in hell for doing so , right along with the worthless leeches (blacks)that voted for their damn freebies!! I don't mince words . It takes scum to vote for the guy and it took scum to stay home, may they both rot in hell for what they have done to this country..-Tyr

True, but I think the electoral would probably have ended up not much different than the way it did, with the possible exception of FL, which as it turned out didn't matter this time around.

aboutime
11-08-2012, 03:29 PM
The election is OVER. America Lost. Stupidity, Selfishness, Ignorance, and Race WON.

Now. We have four more years of more of the same. And it will all be OBAMA'S fault.

Marcus Aurelius
11-08-2012, 03:31 PM
The election is OVER. America Lost. Stupidity, Selfishness, Ignorance, and Race WON.

Now. We have four more years of more of the same. And it will all be OBAMA'S fault.

No, I'm pretty sure that 3 years from now, we'll still be hearing how it's still Bush's fault.

aboutime
11-08-2012, 03:39 PM
No, I'm pretty sure that 3 years from now, we'll still be hearing how it's still Bush's fault.

Okay. Knowing how Obama, and the Dems have been acting. Guess I can't disagree with you on that one.

We should take a poll on HOW LONG it will be before we hear BUSH'S FAULT again. "LOL"

Trigg
11-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Being a Mormon didn't seem to hurt Harry Reid politically.

He's a dem and I've never heard mention of Harry's "magic underware" from the media and celebrities unlike Romney.

I'm simply pointing out what I heard from co-workers. I guarantee many evangelical christians stayed home because of his religion.

Trigg
11-08-2012, 03:45 PM

I disagree, Romney had trouble all along with the republican base and STILL he received only 1 million votes less than McCain.

Obama on the other hand, lost 6 million votes.

In a state Romney carried soundly, I heard the mormon excuse from probably 6 people I work with and it's a small department.

Abbey Marie
11-08-2012, 04:29 PM
He's a dem and I've never heard mention of Harry's "magic underware" from the media and celebrities unlike Romney.

I'm simply pointing out what I heard from co-workers. I guarantee many evangelical christians stayed home because of his religion.

That's surprising. I know lots of evangelicals, and they were all very positive about Romney.

Trigg
11-08-2012, 04:45 PM
That's surprising. I know lots of evangelicals, and they were all very positive about Romney.

Rural Indiana can be a very uptight little state when it wants to be.

Robert A Whit
11-08-2012, 04:54 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2008

Obama lost 9 million voters.

Why is that?

tailfins
11-08-2012, 05:06 PM

There will still be pockets of prosperity and decency. They won't always be the same place. Stay mobile like I have. One REALLY difficult task is to get unbiased analysis what makes a place prosperous. If you say conservative policies, I will point out most of the South is in the toilet. If you say liberal policies, I will point out California. Something else drives it.

11-08-2012, 05:08 PM

I dont see him being Mormon as an issue. The biggest fear with the mormon thing was that the southern evangelicals wouldn't support him. Evangelical turned out more for Mitt than they did for McCain.

Robert A Whit
11-08-2012, 05:09 PM

As only one of two Mormons posting, I keep wondering why our religion flushes out bigots?

They don't understand our religion yet they make up all kinds of things about it. They claim we wear magic underwear. Why not just say the underwear is white? Many people wear white underwear. We don't assign any magical trait to the underwear. Bigots do.

Why don't bigots call the white wedding gown a a magical outer garment?

While bigots won't vote for Mormons, the constitution alleges there is no religious test to be president.

Why do bigots ignore the constitution?

Robert A Whit
11-08-2012, 05:12 PM

Yes, and every one of those Bigots deserve Obama.

Wake up people. We Mormons are actually very devoted to country and family. Many if not most of us are republicans. If you want to keep smashing us in the face, we too can change to Democrats.

tailfins
11-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Yes, and every one of those Bigots deserve Obama.

Wake up people. We Mormons are actually very devoted to country and family. Many if not most of us are republicans. If you want to keep smashing us in the face, we too can change to Democrats.

If someone starts a religious discussion, all bets are off and you might not like what you hear. However, as a businessman, I try to respect all religions. There is an exception: I will find the most politically correct way possible to extract myself from the presence of someone who messes with the occult: things like witchcraft, paganism, satan worship, etc.

Robert A Whit
11-08-2012, 05:24 PM
If someone starts a religious discussion, all bets are off and you might not like what you hear. However, as a businessman, I try to respect all religions. There is an exception: I will find the most politically correct way possible to extract myself from the presence of someone who messes with the occult: things like witchcraft, paganism, satan worship, etc.

I am telling you that when people bad mouth my religion, I intend to defend it. Biogots do that. And they being republicans ought to know better.

Those respecting my religion won't try to imply it is wedded to the occult. It is not. Never was.

tailfins
11-08-2012, 06:09 PM
I am telling you that when people bad mouth my religion, I intend to defend it. Biogots do that. And they being republicans ought to know better.

Those respecting my religion won't try to imply it is wedded to the occult. It is not. Never was.

Those involved in the occult generally admit it's occult. By occult, I mean Wiccans, Anton LaVey's outfit and those who actually use the word pagan. Even among those who are not formally occultists, I'm stay away from Astrology, Tarot, palm reading, Ouija boards and the like. If someone calls dark spirits they will come. There are biblical examples of this.

Now it is you not respecting my beliefs.

Robert A Whit
11-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Those involved in the occult generally admit it's occult. By occult, I mean Wiccans, Anton LaVey's outfit and those who actually use the word pagan. Even among those who are not formally occultists, I'm stay away from Astrology, Tarot, palm reading, Ouija boards and the like. If someone calls dark spirits they will come. There are biblical examples of this.

Now it is you not respecting my beliefs.

I respect your beliefs so long as you don't bash Mormons.

Noir
11-08-2012, 08:40 PM

In the words of someone wittier than I - Only respect another mans beliefs to the same extent that you respect the fact that his wife is beautiful, and his children are smart.

tailfins
11-08-2012, 10:15 PM

Great! Don't read into my post what's not there. I'm fine associating and doing business with just about any religion except occultists. That means I try to be as decent as possible to Mormons, Muslims, Catholics, Amish, Buddhist, etc., etc., etc. However if you ask me what I think, I'm not going to lie to you. Mormons are obviously a big contribution to our nation.

gabosaurus
11-08-2012, 10:24 PM
I keep wondering why our religion flushes out bigots?

They don't understand our religion yet they make up all kinds of things about it.

I am telling you that when people bad mouth my religion, I intend to defend it. Biogots do that.?

Outstanding points. I am sure Jafar will agree with you.

Robert A Whit
11-08-2012, 10:28 PM
In the words of someone wittier than I - Only respect another mans beliefs to the same extent that you respect the fact that his wife is beautiful, and his children are smart.

Had you such wit.

tailfins
11-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Outstanding points. I am sure Jafar will agree with you.

I hope you've noticed that I have not been on the attack Jafar bandwagon. I respect him as a businessman.

Robert A Whit
11-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Great! Don't read into my post what's not there. I'm fine associating and doing business with just about any religion except occultists. That means I try to be as decent as possible to Mormons, Muslims, Catholics, Amish, Buddhist, etc., etc., etc. However if you ask me what I think, I'm not going to lie to you. Mormons are obviously a big contribution to our nation.

We gave this country a state. I can't think of any other religion that did that for the USA.

jafar00
11-09-2012, 04:51 AM
Romney tried to use Honesty, and Truth.
... but as a politician, he found that every time his lips were moving, lies came out. :laugh2:

PostmodernProphet
11-09-2012, 07:50 AM
True, but I think the electoral would probably have ended up not much different than the way it did, with the possible exception of FL, which as it turned out didn't matter this time around.

that certainly depends on where those 3 million lived, which ought to be a target for future investigation by the Republicans, as well as WHY the 3 million stayed home......

has the Republican party ever done well since Reagan's election?.......remember how good it felt after hearing him give a speech about what it meant to be an American?........remember the CW folks writing songs like "I'm Proud to be an American"?.......is anyone still proud?.......

Seems to me that conservatives need to adapt a Midwest Strategy to follow the Southern Strategy......maybe the fact that states like Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin now have full Republican control will enable the citizens of those states to find out how good it can be......I hope so.......maybe it will spread to Iowa and Minnesotta......isolate the liberals to the Left Coast and New England.....

Abbey Marie
11-09-2012, 10:14 AM
As only one of two Mormons posting, I keep wondering why our religion flushes out bigots?

They don't understand our religion yet they make up all kinds of things about it. They claim we wear magic underwear. Why not just say the underwear is white? Many people wear white underwear. We don't assign any magical trait to the underwear. Bigots do.

Why don't bigots call the white wedding gown a a magical outer garment?

While bigots won't vote for Mormons, the constitution alleges there is no religious test to be president.

Robert, as I'm sure you know, when JFK ran, many people were aghast at the thought of a Catholic in the White house. I guess it's Mormonism's turn in the barrel, so to speak.

All followers of Christ will be persecuted eventually, and I believe we have started down that road. As I've said before on this board, we need to empasize our commonalities; not our differences. I know a lot of Christian Evangelicals, and to a person, they supported Mitt wholeheartedly. And while Dems tried a bit to make it an issue, I don't believe for a minute that it was Mormonism per se that kept Mitt from being elected.

Abbey Marie
11-09-2012, 10:16 AM
... but as a politician, he found that every time his lips were moving, lies came out. :laugh2:

That's a load of garbage. Apparently, you wouldn't recognize integrity if it came up and hit you in the face.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-09-2012, 10:59 AM
And while Dems tried a bit to make it an issue, I don't believe for a minute that it was Mormonism per se that kept Mitt from being elected.

It was the soldout media that gave obama the win both times. With the nation so close to being equally divided they make the difference. As the white population diminishes it will get worse. The new immigrants legal and illegal are just like the soldout blacks and going with the offer of free stuff, thats the Dem party. Sad but true.-Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-09-2012, 11:24 AM
It was the soldout media that gave obama the win both times. With the nation so close to being equally divided they make the difference. As the white population diminishes it will get worse. The new immigrants legal and illegal are just like the soldout blacks and going with the offer of free stuff, thats the Dem party. Sad but true.-Tyr

Here is one very clear example..

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/aug/3/big-bash-86-percent-romney-coverage-negative/

The big bash: 86 percent of Romney coverage negative
<!-- AddThis Button END -->By Jennifer Harper (http://www.washingtontimes.com/staff/jennifer-harper/) - The Washington Times

August 3, 2012, 01:24PM

http://media.washtimes.com/media/image/2012/07/30/20120730-212703-pic-965457124_s160x104.jpg?6b0792c8b16666e54b27e0cc67c 7ba293b779df5 (http://www.washingtontimes.com/multimedia/image/20120730-212703-pic-965457124jpg/)
<IFRAME height=600 marginHeight=0 src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/N5856/adi/wash.times/blog_inside-politics;type=blogentry;pos=top;dc_ref=http%3A%2F% 2Fwww.washingtontimes.com%2Fblog%2Finside-politics%2F2012%2Faug%2F3%2Fbig-bash-86-percent-romney-coverage-negative%2F;tile=2;sz=160x600,120x600;ord=16294570 ?" frameBorder=0 width=160 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME>

Media bias has gone from bad to ridiculous.
During Mitt Romney's overseas visit earlier this week, 86 percent of the coverage on ABC, CBS and NBC "emphasized Romney's perceived gaffes," according to a content analysis of 21 major news stories by the Media Research Center, which also compared Mr. Romney's trip to a similar excursion made by President Obama in 2008.
The results: The broadcast networks committed 53 minutes of almost entirely negative coverage to Mr. Romney, and 92 minutes of "gushing" to Mr. Obama.
"The near unanimous negativity of their coverage is as outrageous as it is transparent," observes the center's founder Brent Bozell. "It's impossible to look at the fawning coverage of Obama's trip in 2008 compared to the sliming Romney has taken in 2012 and not see a clear agenda on the part of the liberal media."

Read more: The big bash: 86 percent of Romney coverage negative - Washington Times (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/aug/3/big-bash-86-percent-romney-coverage-negative/#ixzz2Bk8jDHdz) http://www.

Abbey Marie
11-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Have to agree, Tyr. Can you imagine if Fast and Furious or the Benghazi tragedy had happened under George Bush's watch? The media would have talked about them constantly. Instead, we rarely heard about either.

If you haven't read it, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND the book Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News by Bernard Goldberg.

Amazon summary:
In his nearly thirty years at CBS News, Emmy Award winner Bernard Goldberg
earned a reputation as one of the preeminent reporters in the television news
business. When he looked at his own industry, however, he saw that the media far
too often ignored their primary mission: to provide objective, disinterested
reporting. Again and again he saw that the news slanted to the left. For years,
Goldberg appealed to reporters, producers, and network executives for more
balanced reporting, but no one listened. The liberal bias continued.

Now, breaking ranks and naming names, he reveals a corporate news culture in
which the closed-mindedness is breathtaking and in which entertainment wins over
hard news every time.