PDA

View Full Version : 22nd amendment (Presidential term limits)...

Marcus Aurelius
11-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Do you think that there could/would be enough support for President Obama, prior to 2016, to allow for the repeal of the 22nd amendment limiting a President to 2 terms?

Remember, it would require a new amendment be drafted, voted on by congress, and then ratified by 3/4 of the states.

gabosaurus
11-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Who needs the 22nd Amendment when you can just declare martial law and take over by force? :rolleyes:

Marcus Aurelius
11-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Who needs the 22nd Amendment when you can just declare martial law and take over by force? :rolleyes:

I'll take that as a NO.

aboutime
11-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Do you think that there could/would be enough support for President Obama, prior to 2016, to allow for the repeal of the 22nd amendment limiting a President to 2 terms?

Remember, it would require a new amendment be drafted, voted on by congress, and then ratified by 3/4 of the states.

YES. There would be enough support. But constitutionally. I doubt it would happen.

Wouldn't put it past the present occupant, and his Personal MSM, with the likes of Dead Brain Harry Reid in charge.

As for the new amendment process.

What's to stop Obama from just Introducing an Executive Order to MAKE IT SO.

Marcus Aurelius
11-08-2012, 04:09 PM
YES. There would be enough support. But constitutionally. I doubt it would happen.

Wouldn't put it past the present occupant, and his Personal MSM, with the likes of Dead Brain Harry Reid in charge.

As for the new amendment process.

What's to stop Obama from just Introducing an Executive Order to MAKE IT SO.

Because you cannot simply wipe away an amendment to the Constitution with an executive order. There is a defined process that is essentially chiseled in stone.

gabosaurus
11-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Funny thing is, Dems were discussing the EXACT same question following the 2004 election. We wondered if Dubya would either nullify the 22nd Amendment or endorse another family member to rush.

We were told that only stupid, angry, vindictive people would come up with ideas like that. :rolleyes:

Marcus Aurelius
11-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Funny thing is, Dems were discussing the EXACT same question following the 2004 election. We wondered if Dubya would either nullify the 22nd Amendment or endorse another family member to rush.

We were told that only stupid, angry, vindictive people would come up with ideas like that. :rolleyes:

I don't 'ever' remember having that conversation with a Democrat, or questioning whether or not a President had enough support for a repeal of the 22nd... until now.

Do you have any links showing this type of question was wide spread during the Bush years, or is your comment just anecdotal?

aboutime
11-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Because you cannot simply wipe away an amendment to the Constitution with an executive order. There is a defined process that is essentially chiseled in stone.

Marcus. I know that. And I agree with you. Yet somehow. I wouldn't put it past Obama, or his criminal elements to try.

fj1200
11-08-2012, 07:22 PM

Of course not. He didn't even carry half the states did he?

11-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Will it matter if the Constitution is done away with before then? Im not saying that's what's going to happen, but we are on the road to it.

Little-Acorn
11-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Because you cannot simply wipe away an amendment to the Constitution with an executive order.

You can't wipe away an act of Congress with an executive order, either.

Except... Obama has already done that.

WiccanLiberal
11-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Ii think some people here are under the impression that Obama has a lot more support than he does. His recent win was hardly that impressive. And certainly there are voters out there like me who voted for him last time but not this time. And regardless of who was in the White House, I and most that I know would not be in favor of such an amendment.

aboutime
11-09-2012, 02:53 PM
You can't wipe away an act of Congress with an executive order, either.

Except... Obama has already done that.

Little-Acorn. Many fail to understand, or accept how Obama has ignored Congress, the law, and the Constitution many times.

Based on how easily he was re-elected. My theory about how terribly uninformed, or uneducated so many Americans actually are. Is more than frightening now.