PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions?

Abbey Marie
11-09-2012, 08:07 PM
My husband and I are buying a gun- one gun for the home. I have been to the range- a long time ago, and I can't remember what type of gun I used. My husband has never been.

What type of gun would you all suggest for us novices? I don't think I can handle anything too heavy.

aboutime
11-09-2012, 08:15 PM
My husband and I are buying a gun- one gun for the home. I have been to the range- a long time ago, and I can't remember what type of gun I used. My husband has never been.

What type of gun would you all suggest for us novices? I don't think I can handle anything too heavy.

A comfortable handgun is all you need. Light weight. Probably as small as a .22, or slightly larger .9mm for starters.

Get your state certification at a notable gun shop with a range. Get licensed. Follow the rules, and protect yourself.

Go online if you like. Right now is a prime time for purchasing guns, and ammo. Christmas holiday period generally brings specials.

Dilloduck
11-09-2012, 08:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9kGOSDrcq4

aboutime
11-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Dilloduck. They only want to defend themselves. Not RE-DESIGN their home with the blast of a Shot-gun.

A shotgun in the hands of amateur gun owners is more dangerous than NO weapon at all.

By the way. I do believe. According to the OBAMA 2ND Amendment fans. That shotgun in the video is probably Illegal here in the States.

Little-Acorn
11-09-2012, 08:29 PM
I like the Taurus PT58 for this. It's in .380 Auto, aka 9mm-short, a slightly smaller cartridge than the standard 9mm parabellum. These Taurus semiautos are close copies of the Beretta Cheetah. They were manufactured by Taurus under license from Beretta, then Beretta sold them the rights and gave pemission for them to manufacture theri own version. 12 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Taurus gives a lifetime warrantee on them, even if you are not the original purchaser.

They fit my hand like they grew there. Most accurate small gun I've seen.

I also like the Taurus PT92 (fixed sights) and PT99 (adjustable sights), slightly larger and they take the standard 9mm cartridge. Same Warranty, same beautiful hand fit (YMMV).

aboutime
11-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I like the Taurus PT58 for this. It's in .380 Auto, aka 9mm-short, a slightly smaller cartridge than the standard 9mm parabellum. These Taurus semiautos are close copies of the Beretta Cheetah. They were manufactured by Taurus under license from Beretta, then Beretta sold them the rights and gave pemission for them to manufacture theri own version. 12 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Taurus gives a lifetime warrantee on them, even if you are not the original purchaser.

I also like the Taurus PT92 (fixed sights) and PT99 (adjustable sights), slightly larger and they take the standard 9mm cartridge. Same Warranty, same beautiful hand fit (YMMV).

That's exactly what they are looking for. Easy to carry, fits nicely in the hand, and accuracy.

Dilloduck
11-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Dilloduck. They only want to defend themselves. Not RE-DESIGN their home with the blast of a Shot-gun.

A shotgun in the hands of amateur gun owners is more dangerous than NO weapon at all.

By the way. I do believe. According to the OBAMA 2ND Amendment fans. That shotgun in the video is probably Illegal here in the States.

It's legal, easy to shoot, has great stopping power and probably safer than a pistol. 22 cal ? :laugh2:

one gun FOR THE HOME !

aboutime
11-09-2012, 09:03 PM
It's legal, easy to shoot, has great stopping power and probably safer than a pistol. 22 cal ? :laugh2:

one gun FOR THE HOME !

Okay by me. I'm not familiar with too many other weapons. I like .45, and small cal handguns.

Haven't owned anything larger than a .45. Had a 410, back when I was 16. Only fired it once. And had a .22 long rifle, single shot then. None for hunting since then.

Dilloduck
11-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Okay by me. I'm not familiar with too many other weapons. I like .45, and small cal handguns.

Haven't owned anything larger than a .45. Had a 410, back when I was 16. Only fired it once. And had a .22 long rifle, single shot then. None for hunting since then.

It's blatantly obvious that you're not too familiar with weapons. I am praying that Abbey does NOT take your advice.

aboutime
11-09-2012, 09:08 PM
It's blatantly obvious that you're not too familiar with weapons. I am praying that Abbey does NOT take your advice.

I told you I wasn't. Drop the big shithead attitude for once.

Dilloduck
11-09-2012, 09:30 PM
I told you I wasn't. Drop the big shithead attitude for once.

As soon as you stop giving dangerous advice about things that you don't know shit about.

jimnyc
11-09-2012, 09:37 PM

Try what many police officers now use, a .40 caliber glock. At least that's what I want! Affordable too, I think about $500 bucks.

SassyLady
11-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Abbey, I have a Ruger 38 with laser sights but it only holds 5 cartridges and kicks like a mule because it's so small. I also have a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm and there is also a few others in the house but these are the only two I've actually used. Oh, I also use a pellet rifle to shoot at the pesky woodpeckers.

My advice to you Abbey is to go to a local firing range and practice with several different ones until you find the one that makes you comfortable handling. I thought I really wanted that little Ruger because it fits nicely in my purse but it's definitely not something you want to take to the firing range and practice with. Also, only five shots.

logroller
11-10-2012, 04:02 AM

That's like asking what kind of car one should buy-- it depends. For protection against home invasion, I'd second dillo -- a shotgun. The sound alone is enough to scare off most intruders, plus its easy to aim in a tense situation. I'd recommend you and your hubby take a gun safety and/or self defense class and talk with the instructor. Most armed persons are extremely generous with their assistance and would gladly allow you to fire their weapons to get an idea of what would fit your needs and wants. Just my dollar-fifty.

Nukeman
11-10-2012, 08:59 AM
The best hand gun for home defense is a Taurus Judge. They are still light weight but they fire a 410 shotgun shell or a 45 long colt. Best to fire the 410 first followed up with the 45 to be sure they are done!!!

There is actually a special 410 designed just for the judge for home defense. This gun is POWERFUL but will not continue through the walls of your home.. With the 410 shot you don't have to be dead accurate, and we all know that when nervous our accuracy goes way down.... Should look at it, I am getting one today!!!! Hopefully if they do a good trade for me!!:beer:

mundame
11-10-2012, 10:41 AM

I actually had one of these semiautomatics. It did jam and I found it hard to use. Nice and small, though.

My husband bought me a little revolver, and I like that much better. Simpler under stress; and if one is using a gun, one is certainly under stress.

Abbey Marie
11-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks, everyone. A lot to digest here. I def. want something that is going to be relatively lightweight, and easy to fire. I remember from when I went to the range all those years ago, that learning to clean and handle it safely are all-important. As is the will to actually use it when necessary.

I think we will go to the local range and throw ourselves on their mercy. I will mention the guns you all suggested. It will also be interesting to see if I can still shoot a target well, now that I am older and my eyesight isn't as sharp.

Abbey Marie
11-10-2012, 01:38 PM

I think that may be too much gun for me!

aboutime
11-10-2012, 01:52 PM
As soon as you stop giving dangerous advice about things that you don't know shit about.

Okay. How bout taking advice I do know shit about? Grow up. Get a life. Eat my shorts. For starters.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-10-2012, 06:36 PM

You need the gun that you can handle but larger than a 22 caliber because it has not enough stopping power. For you being female and not well versed in guns I suggest a 380 caliber or 9mm. Just enough power but not too much.
If you rather have the extra shots go with an automatic but a revolver is usually easier to handle and safer for novices. Just above anything else be sure that you can be safe with it and be able to hit what you have to shoot at. For home defense consider a legal short barrell shotgun , easier to handle with proper ammo much stopping power. Using OO buckshot your aim doesnt have to be great and any attacker will respect seeing that weapon! Good luck.-Tyr

revelarts
11-11-2012, 11:18 AM
I like shotguns, nuff said there but

here are a couple informative and funny observations about gun culture

Guns store salesmen
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9t4ukIDRkxs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gun Store customers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ5d2lnTkdo&feature=related

KitchenKitten99
11-12-2012, 01:39 PM
My husband has a .45 Kimber, a .40 Smith & Wesson, and a .38 Bersa.

I don't like any of them because they are all double-loading clips and that makes the grips too big for my hand. The .40 and .45 are too high powered for me anyway, and even when my husband shoots them at the range, I can feel the shot 3 lanes over.

I have my C&C, and I actually tested out on the Bersa, because it belonged to the guy who I took the class from, who is also a great friend of ours. It has a heavy kick-back and double clip. I did just fine with it but it was not comfortable, had a heavy kick-back that kind of hurt my hand, so I wouldn't have it for my personal use. DH loved it and Tony was looking to buy something different so he gave DH a deal on it.

Personally, I love the Glock 9mm, single load clip, which is what a friend has. Small and compact in my hand yet higher powered than a .22, and almost no kick-back. I don't have one of my own yet because we just haven't made an effort, nor do I ever carry anything anyway. I took the class for my own confidence and knowledge, should I ever find myself needing to use one. We have the .40 under the counter at the shop (along with a crow bar), and DH always has one on him (plus he's 6'3" and a 2nd deg black belt), we are rarely apart outside the store. If we are, I am out on my horse or with the kids, and usually in areas that I am very familiar with. I know it's the 'you never know and never think that someone will open fire...' etc, such as in the schools. I will have mine soon, just right now is tight until DH is hired on another contract.

Abbey Marie
11-12-2012, 04:32 PM
After reading all of the repsonses, I think we'll start with a 9mm and go from there. Wish me luck- I'm a little nervous about it!

Kathianne
11-12-2012, 04:46 PM
After reading all of the repsonses, I think we'll start with a 9mm and go from there. Wish me luck- I'm a little nervous about it!

I do wish you luck! While I've never owned a handgun and haven't plans to, I believe the 2nd amendment keeps us safer from criminals and yes, the government.