PDA

View Full Version : GOP opponent gives RARE CORRECT advice

tailfins
11-10-2012, 10:48 AM
The strongest *Republicans—Jeb Bush, Mitch Daniels, Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, John Thune, Haley Barbour—all took a pass this time. And so Americans looking to replace the president were treated to a clown-car primary in which a new leader emerged every week—each crazier than the last. Romney was the strongest candidate in a weak field, but that’s a dubious honor—kind of like *being *voted the sexiest member of the Supreme Court.

Fibbing Fails. In his first ad, Mitt Romney quoted Barack Obama saying, “If we keep talking about the economy, we’re going to lose.” But that was Obama quoting a GOP aide four years ago. The full quote is: “Senator McCain’s campaign actually said, and I quote, ‘If we keep talking about the economy, we’re going to lose.’” From that deceitful ad to his last, disgraceful falsehood that Jeep was transferring production to *China, Romney ran a stunningly dishonest campaign. But the leader of the Party of Lincoln should have known you can’t fool all of the people all of the time. Romney’s Jeep ad backfired, and Obama’s support among union members in Ohio—the kind of folks who build those Jeeps in Toledo—far surpassed his 2008 support. Romney may as well have run ads that said, “I think you’re stupid,” because that’s the message voters got.

I give Begala credit for mentioning some authentic conservatives as "the strongest Republicans". I don't like to blame the opposition for failure. Christians have less influence because they have not done the work. It's not the fault of the secularists that filled the vacuum. The GOP lost because the best candidates were unwilling to make the sacrifice to run.

If some issues create risk of a huge backlash, don't spend much time on them and demonstrate understanding of political realities. On abortion for example, switching the focus to parental consent for minors is much smarter than arguing outlawing abortion in the case of rape. A smart politician needs to call it a canard when a liberal moderator forces the question that way. Responses such as "I don't think that will ever be a serious legislative discussion" will do the job. The moderator could even be scolded for framing questions in a non-serious manner.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=4

mundame
11-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I give Begala credit for mentioning some authentic conservatives as "the strongest Republicans". I don't like to blame the opposition for failure. Christians have less influence because they have not done the work. It's not the fault of the secularists that filled the vacuum. The GOP lost because the best candidates were unwilling to make the sacrifice to run.

If some issues create risk of a huge backlash, don't spend much time on them and demonstrate understanding of political realities. On abortion for example, switching the focus to parental consent for minors is much smarter than arguing outlawing abortion in the case of rape. A smart politician needs to call it a canard when a liberal moderator forces the question that way. Responses such as "I don't think that will ever be a serious legislative discussion" will do the job. The moderator could even be scolded for framing questions in a non-serious manner.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=4

I love it that Begala called it a "clown car primary." That is exactly how I've been thinking of that awful primary for months.

gabosaurus
11-10-2012, 01:02 PM
The McCain backlash began immediately after the 2008 election was over. So I suppose it is time for Romney's supporters to begin turning on him.

tailfins
11-10-2012, 04:15 PM
The McCain backlash began immediately after the 2008 election was over. So I suppose it is time for Romney's supporters to begin turning on him.

Romney failed. If he can't win an election where his opponent has a lousy economy and is on the way to make it worse, plus the Benghazi and Solyndra scandals, he's unelectable. Would you hire the captain of the Exxon Valdez to captain a cruise ship?

aboutime
11-10-2012, 04:18 PM

Only the ignorance, and misery of someone who pretends not to GLOAT like gabby can make her post such liberal rubbish.

But then again. It's nothing more than Gabby, doing what she does best. Proving, Ignorance really is Bliss.

mundame
11-10-2012, 05:29 PM

McCain deserved it all, for choosing a VP for her boobs. Migod.

I see some media turning on Romney, but I think they just have to write about SOMEthing, and it's copy.

Romney wasn't an appropriate candidate, but he was the best of that sad lot of Republicans, and he worked very hard and IMO ran quite a good campaign. I don't think he did anything wrong in the campaign. He just wasn't the kind of person the bare majority wanted --- that choice IS what elections decide, after all.

Dilloduck
11-10-2012, 06:24 PM
When McCain considered being Kerry's VP candidate he should have been buried. What the hell are Republicans thinking ?

SassyLady
11-11-2012, 10:06 PM
McCain deserved it all, for choosing a VP for her boobs. Migod.

I see some media turning on Romney, but I think they just have to write about SOMEthing, and it's copy.

Romney wasn't an appropriate candidate, but he was the best of that sad lot of Republicans, and he worked very hard and IMO ran quite a good campaign. I don't think he did anything wrong in the campaign. He just wasn't the kind of person the bare majority wanted --- that choice IS what elections decide, after all.

You are hilarious ... chastising McCain for choosing VP for her boobs, when you supported a candidate that chose a BOOB for his VP......the first choice might have been silly, but the second was sheer stupidity.

mundame
11-12-2012, 07:40 AM
You are hilarious ... chastising McCain for choosing VP for her boobs, when you supported a candidate that chose a BOOB for his VP......the first choice might have been silly, but the second was sheer stupidity.

I don't know who you are talking about; I didn't support any candidates for the last two elections, so poor was their quality, right or left. I expect you are thinking of someone else here.

I think if the parties want people to vote instead of giving up on democracy, they have to run better candidates.