PDA

View Full Version : A PETA question the Obamas would NOT understand

tailfins
11-10-2012, 05:11 PM
PETA plans to place a billboard that reads, "KIDS: If you wouldn't eat your dog, why eat a turkey? Go vegan,"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/10/peta-thanksgiving-billboard-asks-kids-would-eat-your-dog/#ixzz2BrOiVvC4

PETA is also offering free tombstones for kids to stick into the Thanksgiving turkey. The tombstone reads, "Here Lies the Corpse of a Tortured Bird." (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/10/peta-thanksgiving-billboard-asks-kids-would-eat-your-dog/#ixzz2BrOiVvC4)

I wouldn't mind having some of those, it would be a hoot. I suspect most kids would think of it as a joke as well.
(http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/10/peta-thanksgiving-billboard-asks-kids-would-eat-your-dog/#ixzz2BrOiVvC4)

Noir
11-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Propaganda aimed at kids, produced by kids.

jafar00
11-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Why wouldn't the Obamas understand.

On the subject of torture, why not go Halal? If an animal is mis-treated while it is being reared, it cannot be halal. You can't even slaughter the animal if it sees the knife and never in the sight of other animals. Halal meat means the animal lived well and had a quick death.

I was once vegan mainly for the cruelty aspect, but once I visited a halal farm and saw how well the animals were looked after, my opinion changed and I began to eat meat again.

tailfins
11-10-2012, 08:59 PM

Unless you forget

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2012/04/21/meme-of-the-week-obama-eats-dog-photos.html

The Daily Caller's Jim Treacher dug up a previously overlooked excerpt (http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/17/obama-bites-dog/) in chapter two of Barack Obama's bestselling book Dreams from My Father this week that details the president's early years growing up in Indonesia. “With Lolo," the president writes, "I learned how to eat small green chill peppers raw with dinner (plenty of rice), and, away from the dinner table, I was introduced to dog meat (tough), snake meat (tougher), and roasted

On the subject of torture, why not go Halal? If an animal is mis-treated while it is being reared, it cannot be halal. You can't even slaughter the animal if it sees the knife and never in the sight of other animals. Halal meat means the animal lived well and had a quick death.

I was once vegan mainly for the cruelty aspect, but once I visited a halal farm and saw how well the animals were looked after, my opinion changed and I began to eat meat again.

I would eat halal meat, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Noir
11-10-2012, 09:04 PM

Being vegan isn't a diet, its a lifestyle. The above text would suggest you were infact a vegetarian.

gabosaurus
11-11-2012, 12:22 AM
But it is OK to tie an animal to the top of your car while you are on vacation, right? :rolleyes:

jafar00
11-11-2012, 05:08 AM
Unless you forget

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2012/04/21/meme-of-the-week-obama-eats-dog-photos.html

I didn't know about that. Well, different times, different cultures. :)

I would eat halal meat, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Here in Sydney, it can be cheaper then the supermarket. Actually, if you go out of your way a little, everything else is cheaper than the supermarket. I head to Paddy's Market (a grower's market) for fruit, veges and fish on the weekends. Remember that if you spend some time in Sydney.

Being vegan isn't a diet, its a lifestyle. The above text would suggest you were infact a vegetarian.

I didn't consume any animal products. Vegetarians can still have eggs and milk. Most vegetarians are lacto/ovo. I also had a pair of vegan doc martens boots which still look almost new after 12 years :)

Noir
11-11-2012, 06:23 AM
I didn't consume any animal products. Vegetarians can still have eggs and milk. Most vegetarians are lacto/ovo. I also had a pair of vegan doc martens boots which still look almost new after 12 years :)

Mkay, this makes little sense to me so maybe you can elaborate - You were a vegan who visited a butchers, and because of that visit you decided that eating the flesh was fine, and that other practices such as forced bovine insemination on the rape rack, was grand aswell?

Have you started buying products tested on animals again? Or support secondary industries like the leather trade?

DragonStryk72
11-11-2012, 08:14 AM

Except PETA still lumps you in with everyone else. They'll pretty find any argument they can.

DragonStryk72
11-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Mkay, this makes little sense to me so maybe you can elaborate - You were a vegan who visited a butchers, and because of that visit you decided that eating the flesh was fine, and that other practices such as forced bovine insemination on the rape rack, was grand aswell?

Have you started buying products tested on animals again? Or support secondary industries like the leather trade?

Uh, Noir, Jafar used the term correctly. You may feel like being a vegan is more than a dietary thing, but that's not the actual meaning of the term. He may have left being vegan, but you're starting to sound like someone saying that a person was never really a Christian because they walked away from the church. Whether they are a Christian now, has nothing to do with being a Christian then.

Noir
11-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Uh, Noir, Jafar used the term correctly. You may feel like being a vegan is more than a dietary thing, but that's not the actual meaning of the term. He may have left being vegan, but you're starting to sound like someone saying that a person was never really a Christian because they walked away from the church. Whether they are a Christian now, has nothing to do with being a Christian then.

A vegan is someone who (in so far as is possible) does not consume animal products, that includes wearing animal flesh, veganism is not a diet.

You can eat a vegan diet and not be a vegan.

DragonStryk72
11-11-2012, 08:31 AM
A vegan is someone who (in so far as is possible) does not consume animal products, that includes wearing animal flesh, veganism is not a diet.

You can eat a vegan diet and not be a vegan.

And Jafar is still fine by that summation. He was still a vegan, though he isn't now.

Noir
11-11-2012, 08:40 AM
And Jafar is still fine by that summation. He was still a vegan, though he isn't now.

By his first statement, it sounded like he was only a dietary vegan.

However since then he has made statements that make him sound like he was a vegan, who was convinced to become a non-vegan by visiting a butchers.
What a butchers has to do with the dairy industry, i have no idea, which is the reason for the questions in my last post to him.

jafar00
11-11-2012, 04:53 PM

Yeh, I'm a lapsed vegan. :)

Noir
11-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeh, I'm a lapsed vegan. :)

You lasped on veganism, because you visited a butchers?

tailfins
11-11-2012, 06:13 PM

I think it was a new son-in-law that did it - listen to the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OefirsXCb9A

jafar00
11-11-2012, 06:35 PM

Not just that reason, but when I saw how halal animals are raised in humane conditions, I had less of an objection.

Still, I buy free range eggs, and my house is full of Body Shop stuff which is not animal tested.

Besides, if you tasted my wife's cooking and in particular her chicken, you would not be vege for much longer ;)

gabosaurus
11-11-2012, 06:41 PM
http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1341782118266_4482539.png