PDA

View Full Version : Boot recommendations?

jimnyc
11-11-2012, 02:35 PM
I need/want to get a new pair of boots, preferably all black. I have a pair now but they are like 8 years old and starting to fall apart. I had planned on going to a local store and looking for a pair of Timberland's, but just went to their website and see all the boots at like $190-300!!!

I don't mind paying a little to get some quality boots, but that's a bit obscene. Anyone know of any other good brands to get?

The pair I have now are Timberland, but hell, I think I paid like $75 years ago!

logroller
11-11-2012, 03:57 PM
"back in my day, boots cost a nickel.."- jimmy, aka grumpy old man. :poke:
seriously, you get what you pay for. What do you use them for, work? Hiking? Hanging out in the barracks? J/k, but you get my point. Usage constraints define the search.
Best pair I ever had by danner. Light and comfy-- they fit from the moment I put them on-- no break-in, no blisters, even after a ten mile hike on day 1, worked in them 10-12 hours a day. One boot for everything. i wore them from 6am until 8pm 6 days a week. Not cheap, but like I said, you get what you pay for. Shoes are one thing I would never go cheap on because having your feet hurt makes everything suck. Likewise, you find a cheap pair and they wear out in 6 months, (seems bust, sole separates) as opposed to my danners which lasted 4 years ( two sole replacements for natural wear)-- a sixty to one hundred dollar pair just doesn't cut it for me personally. I have had some timberlands in the low $100 range,(probably$140) I know they had vibram soles,( which is a must have), and I've read good reviews but they didn't hold up for me, as I worked in water constantly and wasn't that good about cleaning/waterproofing them very often. Check tactical supply houses for police/military-- they have the best prices around. Brick and mortar places are outrageous.

jafar00
11-11-2012, 04:40 PM
If you want good, hard wearing boots that are comfortable, you can't go past good old Doctor Martens. Or if cheaper is your thing, just get a pair of GP boots from Army Surplus.

tailfins
11-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I recommend a dual boot configuration.

jimnyc
11-11-2012, 07:04 PM
"back in my day, boots cost a nickel.."- jimmy, aka grumpy old man. :poke:
seriously, you get what you pay for. What do you use them for, work? Hiking? Hanging out in the barracks? J/k, but you get my point. Usage constraints define the search.
Best pair I ever had by danner. Light and comfy-- they fit from the moment I put them on-- no break-in, no blisters, even after a ten mile hike on day 1, worked in them 10-12 hours a day. One boot for everything. i wore them from 6am until 8pm 6 days a week. Not cheap, but like I said, you get what you pay for. Shoes are one thing I would never go cheap on because having your feet hurt makes everything suck. Likewise, you find a cheap pair and they wear out in 6 months, (seems bust, sole separates) as opposed to my danners which lasted 4 years ( two sole replacements for natural wear)-- a sixty to one hundred dollar pair just doesn't cut it for me personally. I have had some timberlands in the low $100 range,(probably$140) I know they had vibram soles,( which is a must have), and I've read good reviews but they didn't hold up for me, as I worked in water constantly and wasn't that good about cleaning/waterproofing them very often. Check tactical supply houses for police/military-- they have the best prices around. Brick and mortar places are outrageous.

If you want good, hard wearing boots that are comfortable, you can't go past good old Doctor Martens. Or if cheaper is your thing, just get a pair of GP boots from Army Surplus.

So now I have Danner's on my list with the Timberland's, and also the Doc Marten's. I was always a huge fan of the Doc's as I hung out with some 'skin heads' in my 19-25yr range. When I say skin heads, they were fake skin heads, as they shaved their heads, listened to wacky music, went to CBGB and the Lower East Side and other crap, but had no affiliation to any white aryan crap or anything racial at all. Anyway, they all had them, so even though I was the long haired guy of the group, I got me a pair too. I LOVED them.

I'm looking solely for a pair that will be durable and waterproof in the winter (high top style, not low cut), good for comfort for every day use as well. I sure as hell ain't going hiking, and if I did, I'd be in my sneakers! LOL

I do have an Army Surplus store near here and will be checking them out to see if they have any deals going, if not may look at the 2 mentioned here so far.

jimnyc
11-11-2012, 07:04 PM

I'm naive, humor me, what is dual boot?

KarlMarx
11-11-2012, 07:41 PM
I'm naive, humor me, what is dual boot?

Linux and Windows

glockmail
11-11-2012, 09:52 PM
I need/want to get a new pair of boots, preferably all black. I have a pair now but they are like 8 years old and starting to fall apart. I had planned on going to a local store and looking for a pair of Timberland's, but just went to their website and see all the boots at like $190-300!!!

I don't mind paying a little to get some quality boots, but that's a bit obscene. Anyone know of any other good brands to get?

The pair I have now are Timberland, but hell, I think I paid like $75 years ago!

Have you looked at Chippewa boots? I bought a pair of those years ago for hiking boots after wearing through a pair of Timberlines every year and they lasted 20 years. They finally started to rot on the inside so I had to toss them. They no longer make hiker style and have concentrated on biker boots only.

You will pay dearly for them, but they will last.

glockmail
11-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Looks like they expanded their line since I looked last time (about four years ago). They make hiking boots again, damn. I bought an inferior Italian brand.

http://www.chippewaboots.com/

SassyLady
11-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Have you tried Army surplus stores?

DragonStryk72
11-11-2012, 10:37 PM

Brahma are really good

Monkeybone
11-12-2012, 09:06 AM
I like my Red Wings.

jimnyc
11-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Linux and Windows

I can't believe I read that post and fell for it. And I just installed XP on a Imac just last week and set it up for dual boot.

I need a boot to the head!

jimnyc
11-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Looks like they expanded their line since I looked last time (about four years ago). They make hiking boots again, damn. I bought an inferior Italian brand.

http://www.chippewaboots.com/

Have you tried Army surplus stores?

Brahma are really good

I like my Red Wings.

I've been to the websites for all of the above this morning. Now I'm just MORE confused as they ALL look great, and all somewhat similarly priced. Being that they are all high, I guess I've just been out of the loop for awhile and a pair of quality boots are gonna set me back $150-250. And Sassy, that's my first stop later, at the Army store to see if they have any deals. And they're local, so I would rather support them than find myself at the mall!

DragonStryk72
11-12-2012, 12:41 PM
I've been to the websites for all of the above this morning. Now I'm just MORE confused as they ALL look great, and all somewhat similarly priced. Being that they are all high, I guess I've just been out of the loop for awhile and a pair of quality boots are gonna set me back $150-250. And Sassy, that's my first stop later, at the Army store to see if they have any deals. And they're local, so I would rather support them than find myself at the mall!

Huh, I got my Brahma's at wal-mart for like 50-60

jimnyc
11-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Huh, I got my Brahma's at wal-mart for like 50-60

I never even thought of looking there. I found a pair I liked on their website, and at first I nearly fainted when I saw a price of $289,500.00! LOL But in dollars it was about $154

http://brahmafootwear.com/product_details/fx4-707-fx4-707?requested_page=1&listing_no=15

jimnyc
11-12-2012, 01:28 PM
So I went to the surplus store and had my choice from Timberland, Marten's, Chippewa & Red Wings, or at least that's all I could find that was mentioned here. Then I found a brand called "Bates" that had an all black boot with some gore-tex, and a zippered side for lazy people like me. It was insulated and waterproof. I bought them for $175. But I got hesitant when I got back to my truck. I LOVED them, but they were a bit high, about half calf high, full size. I was preferring more of a half size, lower calf. I went back in, and they had the same boot in that size, but not insulated or waterproof.

I ended up switching for the Timberland's. Half size, only waterproof and all black. These were $119. I'm going to only use them for regular daily use and perhaps some snow wear. The others, which I didn't realize, were "tactical" boots and even the owner said they were overkill for what I wanted. So I ended up with basically a nice upgrade of what I have now. I might go back and get the half size tactical from Bates, as I really like that mesh look and the side zipper, won't kill me to have 2 pairs (although the wife might!).

Thanks for all the input from everyone, much appreciated!!

Abbey Marie
11-12-2012, 04:42 PM
$119 sounds reasonable to me for all that leather, Jim.

CBGBs! I always thought of that place as pretty wacked out. I don't think I ever actually went in.
Unless that was the place where I saw a concert (can't even remember who now), with all the head-stuff graphics swirling on a huge screen. Def a contact-high sort of place.

jimnyc
11-12-2012, 06:10 PM
$119 sounds reasonable to me for all that leather, Jim.

CBGBs! I always thought of that place as pretty wacked out. I don't think I ever actually went in.
Unless that was the place where I saw a concert (can't even remember who now), with all the head-stuff graphics swirling on a huge screen. Def a contact-high sort of place.

You'd be surprised on the storied history there, I even saw many a small rock bands there, and small metal bands. The waning years saw them turn a little towards the nutso crowds, but in their heyday they were the place to be! Here's a few I grabbed from Wiki...

Founded by Hilly Kristal in 1973, it was originally intended to feature its namesake musical styles, but became a forum for American punk and New Wave bands like Ramones, Misfits, Television, the Patti Smith Group, Mink DeVille, The Dead Boys, The Dictators, The Fleshtones, The Voidoids, The Cramps, The B-52's, Blondie, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, The Shirts, and Talking Heads. From the early 80's until its later years, it would mainly become known for Hardcore punk with bands such as Agnostic Front, Murphy's Law, U.S. Chaos, Cro-Mags, Warzone, Gorilla Biscuits, Sick of It All, and Youth of Today becoming synonymous with the club.

A bunch of weird ones in there but also some mainstream.

But honestly, towards the end, the times I went there was for the 'Agnostic, Murphy's' type of bands and surely got a contact high (as well as a real one before going in!) :coffee:

jafar00
11-12-2012, 07:27 PM
When do we get the action pics Jim? :)

jimnyc
11-12-2012, 08:28 PM
When do we get the action pics Jim? :)

I believe I may go grab the tactical boots, half length, tomorrow. I may have to hide them for a bit, but they're too cool to pass up!! I'll post side by sides if I do decide to get them. :)

Abbey Marie
11-12-2012, 09:44 PM
You'd be surprised on the storied history there, I even saw many a small rock bands there, and small metal bands. The waning years saw them turn a little towards the nutso crowds, but in their heyday they were the place to be! Here's a few I grabbed from Wiki...

Founded by Hilly Kristal in 1973, it was originally intended to feature its namesake musical styles, but became a forum for American punk and New Wave bands like Ramones, Misfits, Television, the Patti Smith Group, Mink DeVille, The Dead Boys, The Dictators, The Fleshtones, The Voidoids, The Cramps, The B-52's, Blondie, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, The Shirts, and Talking Heads. From the early 80's until its later years, it would mainly become known for Hardcore punk with bands such as Agnostic Front, Murphy's Law, U.S. Chaos, Cro-Mags, Warzone, Gorilla Biscuits, Sick of It All, and Youth of Today becoming synonymous with the club.

A bunch of weird ones in there but also some mainstream.

But honestly, towards the end, the times I went there was for the 'Agnostic, Murphy's' type of bands and surely got a contact high (as well as a real one before going in!) :coffee:

Ok, well to me those are all weird bands. Except for Blondie and the Talking Heads (loved them!). I was big on Southern Rock and a lot of girl singers, lol. And the real Dead, of course!

jimnyc
11-13-2012, 01:22 PM
So I went and got the pair by Bate's earlier. They are military/police boots, but I'm just getting them because they are comfy, cool looking and have a zipper for my lazy ass! And yes, these pics were taken in the bathroom, lighting in my house sucks!!

Here are the Timberland's:

http://i47.tinypic.com/24bum2h.jpg

And the Bates:

http://i47.tinypic.com/lw8d5.jpg

glockmail
11-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Master...

jafar00
11-13-2012, 03:29 PM
I like the look of the bates. Are they comfy?

Abbey Marie
11-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Will these be worn with jeans (and with the pants NOT tucked in)?

If so, I like the Bates.

jimnyc
11-13-2012, 04:25 PM
I like the look of the bates. Are they comfy?

MUCH more comfortable than the Timberland's. Now, from my previous experience, the Timberland's will get more comfy as they break in, but the Bates are awesome right off the shelf, and 300% lighter.

Will these be worn with jeans (and with the pants NOT tucked in)?

If so, I like the Bates.

Yep, with jeans or cargo style pants, never tucked in. The laziest I get is if the pants kind get caught up on the boots and hang around the top, but definitely not tucked in.