PDA

View Full Version : Déjà Vu

Kathianne
11-12-2012, 12:55 PM
http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/11/12/249092.html

‘Destroy the idols,’ Egyptian jihadist calls for removal of Sphinx, Pyramids Monday, 12 November 2012

By AL ARABIYA

An Egyptian jihad leader, with self-professed links to the Taliban, called for the “destruction of the Sphinx and the Giza Pyramids in Egypt,” drawing ties between the Egyptian relics and Buddha statues, local media reported this week.

Murgan Salem al-Gohary, an Islamist leader twice-sentenced under former President Hosni Mubarak for advocating violence, called on Muslims to remove such “idols.”

“All Muslims are charged with applying the teachings of Islam to remove such idols, as we did in Afghanistan when we destroyed the Buddha statues,” he said on Saturday during a television interview on an Egyptian private channel, widely watched by Egyptian and Arab audiences.

<script> jQuery('.contentMultimedia a').lightBox({ maxHeight: $(window).height()-200, maxWidth: $(window).width()-200 }); </script> “God ordered Prophet Mohammed to destroy idols,” he added. “When I was with the Taliban we destroyed the statue of Buddha, something the government failed to do.”

His comments came a day after thousands of ultraconservative Islamists gathered in Tahrir Square to call for the strict application of Sharia law in the new constitution...

http://middleeast.about.com/od/afghanista1/a/me080910.htm

The Buddha Statues of Bamiyan, AfghanistanIn 2001, The Taliban Demolished 1,500 Years of History and Art
Beginning in 1994, the Hazara’s new enemies were the Taliban, whose perverse version of Sunni Islam doesn’t recognize Shiites as Muslims; worse: the Taliban resented the relative freedoms that Shiite Hazaras afforded women, who took part in the Bamiyan Valley’s politics, its militias and social enterprises. The Taliban’s enmity toward the Hazara of Bamiyan was immediately brutal.

The Taliban vs. the Statues In 1998, a Taliban commander fired grenades at the smaller statue, knocking off its upper half. The Taliban bombed the mountain above the statues frequently, cracking the niches that held the statues and damaging the colossi further. By winter 2001, pleas were raining down on the Taliban from around the world to spare the statues. Pleaders included the Buddhist Thai monarchy and Sri Lanka, itself home to a set of giant Buddha statues. “Unesco, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and a leading Islamic scholar in Cairo were also among those begging the Taliban not to carry out their threat to the Bamiyan statues and other Buddha images in museums across the country,” wrote Barbara Crossette in The New York Times.
To no avail.

On Feb. 26, 2001, the Taliban’s supreme leader, Mullah Mohammad Omar, declared that “these idols have been gods of the infidels” and ordered them destroyed. By early March, the statues were rubble. ...

mundame
11-12-2012, 12:59 PM
On the other hand, Napoleon's soldiers shot the face off the sphinx, for fun.

And both Cromwells (Thomas and Oliver) supervised knocking off all possible heads from marble saints and breaking all the stained glass windows in Catholic churches in England.

Nothing lasts......

If people are going to destroy things, they just are. Like killing out all the gorillas and tigers and such. Same deal.

Kathianne
11-12-2012, 12:59 PM
On the other hand, Napoleon's soldiers shot the face off the sphinx, for fun.

And both Cromwells (Thomas and Oliver) supervised knocking off all possible heads from marble saints and breaking all the stained glass windows in Catholic churches in England.

Nothing lasts......

If people are going to destroy things, they just are. Like killing out all the gorillas and tigers and such. Same deal.

Another fun game, 'Make the connections!'

mundame
11-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Knowing enough history to make connections lends perspective.

I recommend it.

Thinking every event is this new, amazing situation never before seen under the sun is not actually a very fruitful way to figure out what is going on.

But do I think they'll blow up the pyramids? Sure. That's what Islamists do when they finally get enough power; they've already blown up the giant Buddhas. and the monuments in Timbuktoo went, just this year.

I guess we could get all upset about it and worry and be anxious -------------------

You do that. I haven't been to Timbuktoo so I don't actually care. I need to get onto the gardening.

Kathianne
11-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Knowing enough history to make connections lends perspective.

I recommend it.

Thinking every event is this new, amazing situation never before seen under the sun is not actually a very fruitful way to figure out what is going on.

But do I think they'll blow up the pyramids? Sure. That's what Islamists do when they finally get enough power; they've already blown up the giant Buddhas. and the monuments in Timbuktoo went, just this year.

I guess we could get all upset about it and worry and be anxious -------------------

You do that. I haven't been to Timbuktoo so I don't actually care. I need to get onto the gardening.

This is why you get more than a fair share of snark. This answer in reply to a thread titled, Déjà Vu (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?37746-D%C3%A9j%C3%A0-Vu)

Seems there are many things you 'don't actually care about,' yet comment on repeatedly.

jafar00
11-12-2012, 07:39 PM
You forgot to include this response from the article...

But in retaliation to Gohary’s remarks, the vice president of Tunisia’s Ennahda party, Sheikh Abdel Fattah Moro, called the live program and told Gohary that famous historic military commander Amr ibn al-Aas did not destroy statues when he conquered Egypt.

“So who are you to do it?” he wondered. “The Prophet destroyed the idols because people worshiped them, but the Sphinx and the Pyramids are not worshiped.”

The Sheikh has a point which the Salafis would have trouble arguing against.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Salafis in Egypt. They are like the Green party. They will always be around and make a lot of noise, but will stay on the fringe where they can't do too much harm.

Kathianne
11-12-2012, 07:46 PM
You forgot to include this response from the article...

The Sheikh has a point which the Salafis would have trouble arguing against.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Salafis in Egypt. They are like the Green party. They will always be around and make a lot of noise, but will stay on the fringe where they can't do too much harm.

Didn't forget, it's irrelevant to the point. The extremists position is what it is. It took action in Afghanistan, my guess within months we'll see it in Egypt.

jafar00
11-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Didn't forget, it's irrelevant to the point. The extremists position is what it is. It took action in Afghanistan, my guess within months we'll see it in Egypt.

You are forgetting the fact that fringe extremists are not in power in Egypt like they were when the Taliban was ruling Afghanistan and Cairo is not a lawless wilderness like Bamyan either.

These people will have their opinions heard, but nobody will let them get enough power to do what they threaten.

If you are so worried, why not buy a ticket to Egypt today to see the history before someone blows it up? :)

Kathianne
11-12-2012, 08:13 PM
You are forgetting the fact that fringe extremists are not in power in Egypt like they were when the Taliban was ruling Afghanistan and Cairo is not a lawless wilderness like Bamyan either.

These people will have their opinions heard, but nobody will let them get enough power to do what they threaten.

If you are so worried, why not buy a ticket to Egypt today to see the history before someone blows it up? :)

We'll see soon enough. I've not the money to go to Egypt and if I did, not where I'd go today.

jafar00
11-12-2012, 09:47 PM
We'll see soon enough. I've not the money to go to Egypt and if I did, not where I'd go today.

We will see.

Now is as good a time as any. Since the tourist industry is in recovery at the moment, you can get some good deals. Like a 3 day Nile cruise on a 5* boat for about $200 pp.

Drummond
11-12-2012, 11:02 PM
We will see.

Now is as good a time as any. Since the tourist industry is in recovery at the moment, you can get some good deals. Like a 3 day Nile cruise on a 5* boat for about $200 pp.

You make it sound like the Middle East is automatically a safe place for tourists. No upheavals, ever ? No 'Arab Spring' ? Gaddafi's alive and well, is he, still wearing some tasteful home furnishings and wondering whether he should've given up all those WMD's, after all ?

To be fair, your 'now is as good a time as any' remark is a reasonable one. Who can say what's around the corner, with those Muslim fun-people dreaming up new (or is that 'very old') ways of inflicting Sharia Law on people. I mean, I did read that correctly .. there's a call for the strict application of Sharia Law ?

Just HOW strict ? How soon will it be before American women visiting such lands are ordered to wear burkhas, and if they fail to, they'll get arrested ?

And beware of the 'Beheadings R Us' lot ... anyone remember Ken Bigley .. and the fate he suffered ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-321000/Bigleys-family-They-worse-animals.html

Granted, that story didn't come out of Egypt. But, you have to wonder just what a 'very strict' application of Sharia Law could lead to.

jafar00
11-13-2012, 03:52 PM
You make it sound like the Middle East is automatically a safe place for tourists. No upheavals, ever ? No 'Arab Spring' ? Gaddafi's alive and well, is he, still wearing some tasteful home furnishings and wondering whether he should've given up all those WMD's, after all ?

<shrug> I've been several times since the "Arab Spring". Egypt has settled down and there are quite a few happy tourists there. I would avoid Libya for now because of continued trouble and a govt that is not yet strong enough to deal with it (Qadhafi is definitely dead.) and Syria is definitely not a place to go.

aboutime
11-13-2012, 03:58 PM

To be fair, your 'now is as good a time as any' remark is a reasonable one. Who can say what's around the corner, with those Muslim fun-people dreaming up new (or is that 'very old') ways of inflicting Sharia Law on people. I mean, I did read that correctly .. there's a call for the strict application of Sharia Law ?

Just HOW strict ? How soon will it be before American women visiting such lands are ordered to wear burkhas, and if they fail to, they'll get arrested ?

And beware of the 'Beheadings R Us' lot ... anyone remember Ken Bigley .. and the fate he suffered ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-321000/Bigleys-family-They-worse-animals.html

Granted, that story didn't come out of Egypt. But, you have to wonder just what a 'very strict' application of Sharia Law could lead to.

Drummond. How long have we suspected jafar of being the Minister of Tourism for Terrorist types, looking for innocent victims to slaughter in Any Mid-East nation?

Watch for the APPLAUSE meter from jafar, about that Terrorist Dog who was released in the U.K. Today.