PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 and Internet Explorer 10 and Vbulletin 4.2

jimnyc
11-12-2012, 02:28 PM
There is a known bug at this point with this version of the board software, in use with the new Windows 8 utilizing Internet Explorer 10. RSR has a new computer with this configuration, and when typing a post, if you hit the enter key, nothing happens, it simply doesn't recognize it. I've had him switch over to Firefox which resolves the issue. I've checked with vBulletin and found they are aware of this issue. I assume before long they will release a small patch to fix this, but thought I would mention it in case anyone else has this combination. I will stay on top of this and ensure the board gets updated when the patch is released and update this thread.

tailfins
11-12-2012, 02:31 PM
I noticed the same issue. It's amazing how unessential an enter key is on a message board.

gabosaurus
11-12-2012, 02:41 PM
I have seen Windows 8 demonstrated and it seems fairly useless if you don't have a tablet or smart phone. Those who work computers might as well stick with 7.

jafar00
11-12-2012, 07:31 PM
I have a work PC with windows 8 on it and Chrome. No problems to report with it. I never used IE though.

jimnyc
11-12-2012, 08:29 PM
I have a work PC with windows 8 on it and Chrome. No problems to report with it. I never used IE though.

Good choice, although I'm a Firefox fan, I don't think you could go wrong with either. I abhor Internet Exploder anymore, it's a hackers bullseye anymore!

jafar00
11-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Good choice, although I'm a Firefox fan, I don't think you could go wrong with either. I abhor Internet Exploder anymore, it's a hackers bullseye anymore!

I use Chromium (the fully open source version) on my Linux boxes. Google got it right with this one for sure.

NightTrain
11-24-2012, 12:35 PM

I can't agree more.

I much prefer Chrome to Firefox, though... it's lighter, smaller and faster.

The only time I use IE is to immediately download Chrome on any new build I'm doing and then I remove all IE shortcuts to diminish the temptation for anyone to click on them.

jimnyc
11-24-2012, 12:36 PM
I can't agree more.

I much prefer Chrome to Firefox, though... it's lighter, smaller and faster.

The only time I use IE is to immediately download Chrome on any new build I'm doing and then I remove all IE shortcuts to diminish the temptation for anyone to click on them.

Yeah, they should put other defaults on machines. IE is used a lot, to download other browsers! LOL