PDA

View Full Version : Board speed

jimnyc
11-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Is anyone having any issues? Sometimes I click on a link and it'll sit for 30 seconds or so before opening, at other times it loads within a second. I had it happen a few minutes ago, so I logged in to open this thread, and of course everything loads instantly now. Just trying to get a clearer picture, if it's the site, my connection, my computer...

Abbey Marie
11-13-2012, 10:30 AM
It sits mostly idle when I try to insert a smiley. Running on Explorer.

mundame
11-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Mine has been loading fine. So far.

jimnyc
11-13-2012, 10:50 AM
It sits mostly idle when I try to insert a smiley. Running on Explorer.

I thought it was just me. Sometimes I have this issue too, even a few times where it wouldn't insert at all. I just opened a threat at vB to see if anyone knows of a fix or why this happens. Does it happen to you every time, or just sometimes?

:beer: < ------ Clicked this one 2x, wouldn't insert, inserted another one instantly, then deleted it, then inserted this one instantly. Very odd!

jimnyc
11-13-2012, 10:51 AM
So I'm concerned about board speed, for my own needs, but I suppose if anyone has any other bugs to report, do it here too!! I'm looking into the smilie issue, so if anyone else has that issue, please let me know.

mundame
11-13-2012, 11:01 AM
So far, so good. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/happysad.gif

jimnyc
11-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Hey, Abs, try again when you get a chance. I reuploaded some files but won't know if it helped until we test it a 100x or so! LOL :beer:

Gaffer
11-13-2012, 11:26 AM
I've had similar slow fast issues. Using opera so not sure if it's that or the board. Also when I go to make a post I sometimes have to refresh to get the reply thread loaded properly.

When I use the back button it doesn't go back. I have to hold it down and select a previous post. This is the only board I have this issue with. It's not a serious problem, more of an annoyance.

gabosaurus
11-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Works fine on my laptop, running Firefox. Good work, chief. :cheers2:

jimnyc
11-13-2012, 11:59 AM
I've had similar slow fast issues. Using opera so not sure if it's that or the board. Also when I go to make a post I sometimes have to refresh to get the reply thread loaded properly.

When I use the back button it doesn't go back. I have to hold it down and select a previous post. This is the only board I have this issue with. It's not a serious problem, more of an annoyance.

If confirmed by others, I'll go to vB and see if there are issues with Opera and this version. An initial search doesn't bring up any problems that I could find.

Being that it's just this board, can we try having you delete the cookies for DP, and also your temporary internet files aka cache? It's "possible" some pages/images are stored and/or corrupted in your temp files. OR, for possible confirmation, when on a page that didn't load properly, try hitting f5 which will do a hard refresh of the current page.

Gaffer
11-13-2012, 12:15 PM
If confirmed by others, I'll go to vB and see if there are issues with Opera and this version. An initial search doesn't bring up any problems that I could find.

Being that it's just this board, can we try having you delete the cookies for DP, and also your temporary internet files aka cache? It's "possible" some pages/images are stored and/or corrupted in your temp files. OR, for possible confirmation, when on a page that didn't load properly, try hitting f5 which will do a hard refresh of the current page.

I clean out the temp files and cache daily. CCleaner and other programs do a good job. I know opera has a few odd quirks. The old vB seems to work fine,other boards use it and I don't have the same issues. It's the new version which seems to have trouble. For example SE's board works fine with it.

I can't view netflix movies with opera, have to use firefox, it's one of the issues. I can, on the other hand, download youtube stuff with it. Opera also blocks all the ads and pop up crap.

This is just an issue I thought you should be aware of, more of an annoyance than anything else.

jimnyc
11-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I clean out the temp files and cache daily. CCleaner and other programs do a good job. I know opera has a few odd quirks. The old vB seems to work fine,other boards use it and I don't have the same issues. It's the new version which seems to have trouble. For example SE's board works fine with it.

I can't view netflix movies with opera, have to use firefox, it's one of the issues. I can, on the other hand, download youtube stuff with it. Opera also blocks all the ads and pop up crap.

This is just an issue I thought you should be aware of, more of an annoyance than anything else.

You're not the first to be 'happier' with the older version of vbulletin. I know Opera, but haven't used it in quite some time. I'm sold on Firefox but use Chrome too, and unfortunately even use IE on occasion on the sites that were made for IE. Let me ask you this, when you get to a page that won't fully load or has an issue - can you still try hitting f5 to do a full refresh and see if it helps at least? The funny thing is, there's a legal site that I belong to and on some occasions when I open a thread, it just loads a blank page. I just hit the refresh button and it loads the 2nd time. This didn't happen on that site until they upgraded as well. I'll look into this further as well since it happens to you here.

tailfins
11-13-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm changing locations too much to tell. Between home, the road, the hotel and work, there's too much other variation to give you a good answer.

fj1200
11-13-2012, 01:29 PM
My issue is that pages won't load period and I'll need to keep hitting refresh to get it to do so, usually takes a couple of minutes. I have a feeling it's an issue with my ISP though.

jimnyc
11-13-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm changing locations too much to tell. Between home, the road, the hotel and work, there's too much other variation to give you a good answer.

My issue is that pages won't load period and I'll need to keep hitting refresh to get it to do so, usually takes a couple of minutes. I have a feeling it's an issue with my ISP though.

Are you bastards purposely trying to mess with my slowly dying brain? LOL

fj - when you say you need to refresh - is it because you get a blank page? Say's 'loading' and never does? Can you be a tad more specific?

(I knew I shouldn't have asked you fu%$^&^$ers!! Now I'll be troubleshooting for the next week! :thinking5:

fj1200
11-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Are you bastards purposely trying to mess with my slowly dying brain? LOL

fj - when you say you need to refresh - is it because you get a blank page? Say's 'loading' and never does? Can you be a tad more specific?

(I knew I shouldn't have asked you fu%$^&^$ers!! Now I'll be troubleshooting for the next week! :thinking5:

It eventually says something like the webpage isn't responding. I usually go back to the previous page and then try again. I usually don't have problems with speed once it does go though. BTW I generally use Chrome and my ISP is Clear. It happens on other sites though so I'm sure it's not board related. Sorry to bring it up. :hide:

jimnyc
11-13-2012, 01:40 PM
It eventually says something like the webpage isn't responding. I usually go back to the previous page and then try again. I usually don't have problems with speed once it does go though. BTW I generally use Chrome and my ISP is Clear. It happens on other sites though so I'm sure it's not board related. Sorry to bring it up. :hide:

Well please monitor it and let me know should it continue solely here. I honestly haven't had any issue like that nor anyone else complain. Then again, seems like every issue as of late only affects one person, and that drives me absolutely nuts! I actually like troubleshooting issues, but more so when I can repeat the issue, another person can confirm, it's a known issue around the 'net - but seems as of late someone is out there making shit up and putting it here on DP just to mess with my already fried brain.

Gaffer
11-13-2012, 01:54 PM
You're not the first to be 'happier' with the older version of vbulletin. I know Opera, but haven't used it in quite some time. I'm sold on Firefox but use Chrome too, and unfortunately even use IE on occasion on the sites that were made for IE. Let me ask you this, when you get to a page that won't fully load or has an issue - can you still try hitting f5 to do a full refresh and see if it helps at least? The funny thing is, there's a legal site that I belong to and on some occasions when I open a thread, it just loads a blank page. I just hit the refresh button and it loads the 2nd time. This didn't happen on that site until they upgraded as well. I'll look into this further as well since it happens to you here.

I'll keep the f5 in mind next time this happens. It's usually the first time I hit reply. Doesn't fully load. All the stuff on top of this reply box are missing and no smilies on the side. I hit refresh and it all comes up. Just one of those weird glitches. I usually assume it's just my browser when those things happen. I guess Opera and vbulletin have a little communication problem. :laugh:

aboutime
11-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Running fine here. Using Windows 7, Google Chrome. Speedy as a chipmunk runnin' down a hole.

Abbey Marie
11-13-2012, 04:17 PM
I thought it was just me. Sometimes I have this issue too, even a few times where it wouldn't insert at all. I just opened a threat at vB to see if anyone knows of a fix or why this happens. Does it happen to you every time, or just sometimes?

:beer: < ------ Clicked this one 2x, wouldn't insert, inserted another one instantly, then deleted it, then inserted this one instantly. Very odd!

It happens off and on, but not today so far.

Trying again here: :cool: :salute: :beer:

(no problems)

gabosaurus
11-13-2012, 06:02 PM

Best emoticon ever! :laugh: